Blue On Skin

Roads We Go Down

The wind outside Jinyoung's windows had just begun to make the air chilly. When the clock struck five in the morning, his phone rang. The sound alerting him that Jaebum was calling, considering his ringtone for the man was different from everyone's else's tone—which was still set to default. It stopped after three plays, releasing Jinyoung from it's wakening grip and letting him trip back into a shallow slumber. Fifteen minutes had gone by before it rang a second time, it finally succeeding in making Jinyoung stir awake this time. The obnoxious noise was meant to mimic Jaebum, it did a brutal but effective job at that.

Jinyoung reached, it felt as if his bedside table had hopped farther since he went to sleep and was now ten feet away. Though it was an exaggeration, it was all the same to Jinyoung. He hummed when he answered the phone, still too lazy to open his eyes or even form words for that matter. He heard a soft chuckle from Jaebum, it made Jinyoung's stomach twist—a fact he'd never like to admit to anyone or acknowledge again.

"Not up yet?" Jaebum asked, his voice was rough and he sounded like he'd just woken up too. Why he was calling Jinyoung was somewhat a mystery to them both. But, Jinyoung didn't question it, he liked talking to Jaebum. It was a mixture of stupid jokes, dirty secrets, immature impersonations, and talks of seeing the world out of a world tour. Cheesy but, real—they were cheesy and real. Sometimes, maybe only to Jinyoung, it was scary how real they were.

"Am I supposed to be?" Jinyoung replied, sitting himself up in the suddenly cold bed, his hand rolling over the empty side of it. They'd slept in the same bed only once, while on tour. Management had made a mistake, leaving two of the members to share a bed together—no idea how they managed to screw up that bad. Though Jaebum was against the idea at first, he'd given in when Jinyoung suggested that they'd put a barrier in the middle of the mattress. That night, they'd fallen asleep, one either side of the barrier. But, they had woken up in each other's arms. Jaebum was warm and even though it was hot out, he was the type of warmth Jinyoung never wanted to leave.

"Yeah," Jaebum strained, probably stretching his tired and sleep deprived limbs, "we're going on a road trip." The last time Jaebum had arranged a road trip, he came over the Jinyoung's home and fell asleep on the couch within ten minutes. Jaebum was disappointed in himself though, mad at himself for not going through with his plan and letting laziness overcome him. But, this time, something in his voice was different. It was softer and more determined to get Jinyoung in a car with him to head across whatever land he'd set his mind on traveling across.

Jinyoung made a startled noise, kicking his legs over the side of the bed, he heard Jaebum smile at the sound, "Since when?" It was an important question. It told Jinyoung how long he'd been up, what he'd been thinking about, how long he'd been planning this road trip with Jinyoung—how long he'd been thinking about Jinyoung.

"Since an hour ago." Jaebum was still calm, probably grinning on the other side of the phone at Jinyoung's reaction. He'd decided on this an hour ago but that didn't tell Jinyoung how long he'd been thinking about it.

"Where?" Jinyoung asked.

"So, you're in?" Jaebum replied, he didn't sound surprised. He sounded hopeful, happier. Almost like, if Jinyoung had declined—told him to just go to bed or called the whole thing a stupid idea—Jaebum would've been truly hurt, maybe even unforgiving towards Jinyoung.

Jinyoung sighed, "Where, hyung?" He scratched the back of his head in deep thought, really considering the idea.

"I'm gonna see the world, Jinyoung-ah, and you have to be there. I'll be at your place in an hour." The click that sounded told Jinyoung that he'd hung up, effectively hooking Jinyoung on his trip. He looked down at his phone in a sort of disbelief. Locking it and throwing it behind him, hearing the soft thud of it hitting the sheets. He stared out the window, tilting his head as the lights in the nighttime city flooded the hardwood floor of his room.

Jinyoung shut his eyes for a moment, "It would be nice to get away." He mumbled to himself, rubbing his eyes then. The world was silent for a moment, maybe for just a second, but it was peaceful. His mind wasn't being bombarded with things he needed to get done and things he needed to begin. He sat there longer than he thought he did.

Forty minutes had passed by since Jaebum had hung up on him—forty minutes of Jinyoung lost in his head.

He quickly stood, trudged to his closet, and began to pack his biggest duffel bag with the clothes he'd thought he needed. Jaebum didn't tell him where they were going, what they were gonna do, or even how long they'd be gone but it was still getting chilly outside and if they were traveling in that constantly breaking down red and white truck Jaebum somehow loved and cherished, they wouldn't get too far.

He'd found his comfiest and warmest sweater—despite it being knitted and riddled with small holes, though that was it's design—and shuffled on a pair of blue jeans. As he slipped on his shoes, a knock sounded at the door. He hopped towards it as he struggled to get his other shoe on. While using the doorknob as leverage he popped his foot into the shoe and opened the door to see Jaebum.

With a white t-shirt layered under another white white with only three buttons—all of them ed—and his blue jeans that were darker than Jinyoung's own, he stood with only a backpack in sight, "I guess I overpacked?" He said, moving back inside his apartment. Jaebum followed him in, and chuckled, tightening the straps of the bookbag.

"Probably not. My bag is in the truck." Jaebum replied, confirming that they might not be able to go far, "I just have my personal stuff in here." Personal meant his camera—that never left his side—some clean pairs underwear, tank tops, and maybe even a hair comb or two.

"We must not be going anywhere far if we're taking that hunk of metal." Jinyoung mumbled while walking into his bedroom to get his duffle. He smirked at Jaebum's loud sigh, the amount of times Jinyoung's trash talked his truck was possibly in the triple digits now.

Jaebum his teeth at Jinyoung's retreating back, "Hey," He drew the word out, "I got her a bit of well needed tune ups. It's like she's good as new." He heard Jinyoung scoff from the other room and smiled to himself. When they were kidding around, Jaebum was happier—though he'd never admit it because he wasn't raised that way. He was raised to marry a woman and have children with that woman. He was brought back by Jinyoung's vanilla scent passing him by like a wave.

He stood in the doorway of the entrance to his apartment, duffel in hand, as he waited for Jaebum to move. Their eyes connected and Jinyoung smiled, "So, are we gonna go or are you already having second thoughts and plan to sleep on my couch tonight?" His voice was smug and naive and it made Jaebum chuckle, "Why are you so happy?" Jinyoung cocked a brow as Jaebum passed him through the door.

"I don't know." Jaebum shrugged, waiting for Jinyoung to lock his door so they could begin their journey, "Or maybe I do know." He teased and Jinyoung knocked their shoulders together, beginning their decent down the stairs and to the basement parking lot of the apartment building.

Jaebum's truck looked better, more sturdy, but still capable of breaking down in the middle of a vacant road at midnight. Jinyoung spared a glance at Jaebum while their steps echoed through the car filled parking lot. He didn't look worried, he looked happier and less stressed than when they were on tour. The bags under his eyes had almost vanished and his eyes were brighter, crinkled at the corners as a tilted smile captured his lips. Jinyoung looked away before his mind wandered.

The road felt smooth, the sky was still dark, and the city lights shined brighter up close than from the other side of an apartment window. Jinyoung liked the way the colors flew over his exposed skin, dancing across it quickly and adding life to his plain white sweater. Jaebum saw Jinyoung's head move quickly as he followed the street lights out of the corner of his eye.

"How long has it been?" Jaebum asked.

Jinyoung looked towards him, he hummed in confusion. The lights running across Jaebum's face made him look softer and it made Jinyoung sleepier—it made him think about sleeping next to Jaebum, how much warmer he'd be and how much safer he'd feel. It was a different thought, one Jinyoung shouldn't be having and should never think again. It's too dangerous.

"Since you've actually gone outside to see the city rather than rushing to get from one place to another, not being able to just stop and enjoy the view." Jaebum said, switching into a different lane. He focused hard when he was driving, he called himself a "driving expert" though he acted like a father watching their youngest child drive when someone else was in the drivers seat. Jinyoung smiled to himself.

He comes back with a shake of the head, "It was only due to our busy schedule. Plus, I'm enjoying the view now." he says, looking out his window again before Jaebum's eyes could connect with his, "I still don't think I've been missing out on much, though." He played it off like it didn't matter as much as he knew it did, tossing a shrug for added effect.

"Your eyes say different." Jaebum said and it fell silent again. Nothing but the sound of the cool breeze entering the car through the cracks at the tops of the windows. It filled the truck with varieties of smells that made Jinyoung somewhat drool, he remembered then that he hadn't eaten at all. His stomach growled on cue, "Did you eat?" Jaebum asked, it was a stupid question, he knew it was. But, if he asked, Jinyoung would answer.

"What do you think? I woke up two hours ago." Jinyoung retorted, crossing his arms over his chest, almost childishly. Jaebum looked at him for a second, giving him a warning type look—one of which Jinyoung replied to with the raise of one eyebrow.

Jaebum turned into an upcoming burger joint, the drive thru being nearly empty due to the time, "You're mean when you're hungry." He said as he looked at the menu.

"Naturally." Jinyoung mumbled, leaning forward to take a look too. The city had no sympathy for salads, it never did. But, in the rarest of occasions when it did, they'd add in things a salad shouldn't have, "None of this looks healthy." He said.

"It's a fast food place, I don't think it's meant to be." Jaebum replied, beginning his order.

Jinyoung learned that Jaebum could eat a burger with one hand and that a burger for breakfast gave him the best feeling in the world—It gave off the feeling of a real road trip and a rebellious teenage lifestyle. At one point Jaebum began to choke and the truck swerved, Jinyoung took hold of the wheel as he coughed out the culprit, a lone pickle slice. Jinyoung began to laugh loudly, covering his mouth with his hand, and soon Jaebum joined in too.

They'd driven for hours and Jinyoung stared out the window every second, watching as the tall buildings and busy streets slowly transformed into country fields and skinny, one lane roads. Jaebum knew where he was going, he'd probably researched the locations a million times, Jinyoung knew this because a GPS wasn't going—Jaebum always needed a GPS when going somewhere, afraid that he'd get lost, which at most times he did even with a GPS on.

The smell of the country side was different from the city, it had less variety, more of a small group of scents. Grass, trees, flowers, and even oil. All different scents to Jinyoung usual city bound one's—also considering the fact that he'd only ever stepped foot in an auto repair shop when he was younger. He wondered if Jaebum had been this far out before, whether it be by himself or with a girl. Jinyoung rid the thought from his head quickly, blinding himself from looking too deep into it.