Epilogue: SinB

Keep Your Enemies Closer

 

When SinB woke up, she tried to roll out from under the heavy blanket on top of her but found she couldn’t move. SinB scrunched up her face before reluctantly opening her eyes to glare at whatever was on top of her. Or, whoever. Yerin was lying almost entirely on top of her, fluffy cheek squished up against SinB’s collarbone while her hands clutched at SinB’s t-shirt in her sleep. SinB was also pretty sure there was some drool too.

 

SinB tried once more to wriggle out from underneath her girlfriend, but the combination of Yerin’s deadweight and the grip she had on her shirt left SinB stuck where she was. Accepting her fate as Yerin’s teddy bear, SinB wrapped her arms around her waist and got comfortable. This wasn’t the first time SinB had woken up in this position this summer. After introducing Yerin to her mom and brother at graduation, SinB had been pleasantly surprised and immensely pleased when her mom invited Yerin to spend a few weeks at their house over the summer.

 

When school first let out, Yerin went on a vacation to the beach with her family for two weeks. This led to a lot of moping on SinB’s part, though she’d never admit it aloud. Most of her days were spent whining to Eunha and Umji when they hung out or aggressively working out to release her frustration. Yerin had written her, of course, and SinB had written back, but it wasn’t the same. When Yerin got back, she spent one week at home to recuperate before coming to stay with SinB.

 

SinB remembered how breathless she’d been when she saw Yerin for the first time since school. With sun-kissed skin against what used to be black hair that had lightened ever so slightly to a dark brown, SinB hadn’t known what to say. What had ended up snapping her out of her stupor had been her brother’s snarky remark about drooling.

 

Suddenly struck by how beautiful Yerin was and the knowledge she was all SinB’s, it was difficult to keep her hands to herself. Even now, SinB’s hands absent-mindlessly traced random shapes against Yerin’s back. Nothing had really happened between them besides the usual quick pecks and a few steamy make-out sessions. Yerin seemed to be in no rush, so SinB didn’t see the point in pushing it. She was happy with where they were. Though, she’d be lying if she said she wasn’t hoping for something to happen before Yerin left.

 

It had been nice having Yerin around. She kept SinB’s mind off things like Jisung… school… those difficult as hell NEWTs… Wait, their NEWT scores would be in today!

 

SinB didn’t bother to minimize her movements now. She started shaking Yerin excitedly, even resorting to tickling her sides. Yerin woke up, squirming and making an adorable whiny sound. SinB grinned and continued her tickling attack until Yerin grumpily rolled off of her. Now beside SinB, Yerin slowed turned her head to glare at her girlfriend.

 

“Our NEWT scores are in!” SinB told her earnestly as she hopped out of bed. She grabbed Yerin’s arm and tried tugging her out. “Yerin, come on!”

 

“Sleep,” Yerin mumbled with a scowl.

 

“You can sleep when you’re dead!” SinB exclaimed. When Yerin made no move to get up, SinB huffed and said, “Fine, I’ll just open yours then! I’m sure your mom already forwarded to my house.”

 

Her words worked like magic, and SinB watched with an amused grin as Yerin shot up, hair sticking up in every direction as she stared wide-eyed at SinB.

 

“You wouldn’t dare,” Yerin gasped.

 

SinB held up three fingers and started ticking them down as she counted aloud, “I’m leaving without you in three, two–” SinB didn’t get to one because Yerin was out of bed and tackling her with a hug.

 

“You said we’d open them together,” Yerin reminded her with pout.

 

SinB shrugged, “I’m an impatient woman.”

 

“Fine,” Yerin sighed, “but you owe me lots of ice cream this afternoon.”

 

The two of them had developed a routine the past week and a half that Yerin had been there, easily maneuvering around each other as they used the bathroom and got ready for the day. When they got downstairs, SinB went straight away to get the mail while Yerin started making breakfast. The eggs and bacon were almost done when SinB bounced into the kitchen with two envelopes marked with their names.

 

“Together?” Yerin asked, even though she’d just told SinB that they were supposed to earlier. SinB nodded nonetheless and on the count of three they ripped open the envelopes. There was a minute of silence as they read over their results before swapping pages to let the other read.

 

Only a moment after they traded, SinB pumped a fist in the air as she hollered, “Yes!”

 

“I hate you,” Yerin said without any real heat, sulking as she went to go finish breakfast.

 

While SinB had gotten all O’s on her exams, Yerin had gotten one E. SinB went to comfort her girlfriend, hugging her from behind as she said, “You got O’s on all of your other exams,” SinB pointed out softly. “That’s still pretty damn amazing if you ask me.”

 

“You’re too smart,” Yerin huffed. Then after a moment, she turned her head and gave SinB a soft kiss. “You’re so smart that it’s kind of annoying, but I am so proud of you.”

 

SinB flushed at the praise and buried her face into Yerin’s neck in embarrassment. Yerin seemed to sense SinB’s shyness and shooed her away to make coffee. As she got out the french press, SinB also grabbed her phone. It was a graduation gift from Umji, a bit dated she’d been told, but still functional enough to call and text. Both SinB and Eunha had gotten one to make it easier for all of them to stay in touch.

 

SinB called Umji and Eunha as she made coffee, asking them about their NEWTs. Unsurprisingly, Umji had gotten all O’s, even going as far as to have gotten the highest score on the transfiguration NEWT this year. Eunha had been reluctant to admit she’d gotten one E, but when SinB reassured her Yerin had gotten the same, Eunha had relaxed more. SinB finished talking to them just as she finished the coffee and Yerin finished breakfast.

 

“You’re going to see them in just a few hours,” Yerin pointed out as they sat down at SinB’s kitchen table. “You could’ve just waited to ask them then.”

 

“I wanted to know now,” SinB shrugged and watched as Yerin shrugged and let it go.

 

While Yerin was sometimes confused by SinB’s relationship with Umji and Eunha, she usually didn’t make a big deal out of it. She sometimes asked a few questions to understand their relationship better, but for the most part, Yerin let it be. It was something SinB really appreciated.

 

SinB couldn’t believe how far they’d come sometimes. Starting out as someone who SinB loathed, Yerin was now one of the people SinB trusted most. Not only that but Yerin was someone who knew her better than most. Yerin always knew when to push and when to back off. Yerin was so clingy and cute that it would seem like SinB would hate it but she actually really loved it. She loved her.

 

SinB loved Yerin.

 

She hadn’t gotten the courage to say it just yet but she knew how she felt.

 

“Hurry up, slowpoke,” Yerin said, drawing SinB from her thoughts. “If you keep eating that slow, we won’t make it to Diagon Alley until sunset.”

 

SinB rolled her eyes but finished her breakfast quickly nonetheless. While SinB cleaned up, Yerin ran up stairs to grab a few thing she’d gotten the girls when she’d been at the beach. They were cute little souvenirs, all neatly wrapped. SinB had gotten hers when Yerin first arrived and shoved the present in her face when she opened the door. Yerin had gotten her a seashell bracelet, all of the shells from the beach she’d visited. The bracelet was beautiful and delicate, and SinB hadn’t taken it off since Yerin gave it to her.

 

“Ready?” SinB asked as she met Yerin in the living room. Yerin’s arms were full of gifts, but she was beaming as she nodded excitedly. SinB walked over and linked arms with her, apparating with care so the gifts didn’t disappear or get ruined.

 

With a pop, SinB and Yerin landed right outside Flourish and Blotts. SinB looked longingly at the books inside, but Yerin was quick to pull her away before SinB could convince her to let her go in. The two of them walked, hand-in-hand, over to Fortescue’s where they’d be meeting the girls. SinB still thought it was kind of early for ice cream, considering it was barely eleven, but she also knew that Yerin and Eunha would eat sweets all day if they could.

 

Umji and Yuju arrived just after them, and SinB noted enviously that Yuju was carrying a bag of books that just had to be Umji’s. She kind of regretted sleeping in so much now, but hopefully she could go to Flourish and Blotts later.

 

“Hi!” Umji greeted them with a bright smile. Ever since waking up from her paralysis, Umji had been happier than ever. SinB wasn’t sure if it was the shock of almost dying or Yuju that had Umji living much more passionately, but SinB liked it either way. “Have you been waiting long?” Umji asked.

 

“Just got here,” Yerin replied. She watched as Yuju nearly dropped the bag of books at their feet. “She’s got you as her pack mule?” Yerin teased.

 

“When I offered to carry her things, I forgot that eighty percent of those things would be books,” Yuju laughed despite rubbing her arms tiredly. She shrugged and added, “I don’t mind though.”

 

“See, a good girlfriend carries her girlfriend’s stuff,” Yerin said, turning to SinB.

 

SinB rolled her eyes and replied, “It was a bag with three peaches, Yerin. Let it go.”

 

“We were walking back from a market near her house,” Yerin explained to Umji and Yuju. “Her mom asked us to pick up a few things, and a kind lady let me sample a peach. They were so good, so I bought some. I asked SinB if she could put the bag with her mom’s things, and she told me to carry my own fruit!” The last part was gasped dramatically, drawing giggles from the other girls. “Because of this, the bag broke and my peaches went everywhere! We had to go chasing after them and wash them when we got home.”

 

“It’s not my fault the bag broke,” SinB insisted.

 

Yerin grinned and said, “Maybe it was some wandless magic.”

 

SinB rolled her eyes, even as she smiled at Yerin’s ridiculousness, while Umji and Yuju laughed at their antics. The four of them chatted for a few more minutes when SinB spotted Sowon’s tall figure from down the street. In a few short strides for Sowon and many quick-paced steps for Eunha, they met up with the rest of the girls.

 

“Hey, lovebirds,” SinB greeted with a teasing smirk.

 

Sowon and Eunha hadn’t gotten together until the beginning of summer, but now that they were together, they were practically attached at the hip. SinB wrinkled her nose a bit when she realized just how cheesy and gross all of her and her friends were.

 

The six of them ambled into the ice cream shop and got their orders before sitting down at one of the tables outside. Yerin gave everyone their gifts, blushing under all the thanks. They all talked to one another, even going as far as childishly yelling over one another when they got into an argument. It was relaxing and fun, and it made SinB feel warm being with them.

 

“So, SinB,” Yuju said, “are you excited to start auror training this fall with Sowon?”

 

Casting a sly glance at Sowon, SinB replied, “Just the auror training part.”

 

“Hey!” Sowon protested, throwing a wadded up napkin at SinB.

 

SinB laughed and threw the napkin back. “No, I really am excited though. Ready to kick and take names.”

 

“You’ll do great,” Yerin told her with a proud smile.

 

“You too,” SinB said. “You’ll be the best healer in the world.”

 

Yerin grinned at the flattery and shook her head. She turned to Umji and said, “I think you’re going to be the friend we all brag about. Being a curse-breaker just sounds cool. No one will care what you actually do.”

 

“Thanks,” Umji giggled. “It’ll let me travel a lot, but I’ll also have down time to visit Yuju at Hogwarts.”

 

“Our newest flying instructor,” Eunha nodded with a smile. She nudged Yuju playfully. “All the students are totally going to have crushes on you.”

 

“No way,” Yuju shook her head, cheeks turning a dark red. “Stop teasing.”

 

“I’m being serious,” Eunha grinned. “Who wants to bet me?”

 

“I am not going to bet against that,” Yerin said.

 

“Me neither,” Umji nodded.

 

Yuju turned to her girlfriend with a betrayed look, “Umji!”

 

“What?” Umji said. “You’re a catch.”

 

“You’re gorgeous,” Eunha nodded.

 

SinB added, “A great body.”

 

“So kind,” Yerin continued.

 

Umji laughed and said, “Who wouldn’t have a crush on you?”

 

Yuju kept shaking her head and sputtering excuses. The girls kept teasing her, and SinB laughed all afternoon. She’d finally found her family.

 


A/N: The end! Thank you for everyone who has read and supported this story! All of your subscriptions and comments mean the world to me, and I will always treasure all of them. I never expected this story to get this big. All of you have exceeded my expectations and have made me so happy. I have recently posted a sinrin hospital au called Cliff's Edge, so check that out if you'd like! Also, if you'd like to keep up with me, you can follow me on twitter @lostgirl_23! Once again, thank you all for loving this story as much as I have.