Chapter 20: SinB

Keep Your Enemies Closer

 

After a rather heated argument with Professor Jung, SinB started going to Potions again the week following the incident. SinB had been ready to stay by Umji’s side until she woke up, but Professor Jung had repeated (several times) that it would do no good missing class when Umji would be okay by herself during the school day. Despite the perfectly logical reasoning, it took SinB almost an hour to cave into Professor Jung’s insistence.

 

SinB apologized for her disrespect, but Professor Jung just shook her head and simply said, “I’m glad you care.”

 

A week later, SinB found a chocolate bar sitting on her side of the desk in Potions. She looked curiously at Yerin, but the blonde avoided eye contact by pretending to read her textbook.

 

“Thanks,” SinB said aloud. She slipped the chocolate into her bag and pulled out some parchment for notes.

 

Since the day SinB had cried on her and talked about her miserable past, Yerin had been nicer. It wasn’t obvious if you didn’t know them though. They still didn’t say much to each other, both too embarrassed to say anything to each other. However, SinB would find cheerfully written notes in her bag after Potions with little motivating words like ‘you can do this!’. Yerin would also leave her chocolate bars with her cheeks pink and a small smile on her lips.

 

SinB wasn’t sure what to think of this newfound kindness. A part of her shyly hoped that Yerin finally saw past all the stereotypes and prejudice to see who she really was, but another part of her feared this was just the calm before the storm. SinB really wanted it to be the former.

 

While Yerin didn’t visit the hospital wing during the school week, the past weekend had seen Yerin nervously poking her head into the hospital wing to sit with SinB for a few hours while they watched Umji. Normally, Eunha would’ve been there, but she’d forgotten about an assignment and was in the library doing it last minute. Not that SinB minded all that much. During those few hours, SinB and Yerin had spoken softly to each other about everything and nothing. It’d been comfortable, filling SinB with a warmth she wanted to stay.

 

Once Potions was dismissed, SinB was quick to pack up her things. While Professor Jung had stubbornly fought for SinB to go to her class, SinB had convinced her other teachers that she’d show up when they did any practical magic, but for notes and theories, SinB was allowed to self-study and stay with Umji. She wondered why they agreed and assumed Professor Jung spoke to them.

 

As SinB shouldered her bag, Yerin tapped her shoulder. SinB looked to her in surprise, and Yerin smiled at her shyly. “Tell Umji I said hi,” Yerin told her.

 

“Yeah,” SinB nodded dumbly, taken aback by the kind thought and the fact that Yerin already knew where she was headed without asking. “I will. See you later.” She waved half-heartedly and left.

 

While SinB went to the hospital wing, Eunha went to their classes. Eunha had originally wanted to skip with SinB, but they both knew one of them should go in case anything important happened. Without discussing it, Eunha decided she would go. SinB was secretly relieved they didn’t have to argue over it. She assumed that was because Eunha knew even if SinB went to class the possibility of her focusing was slim. Not to mention, Eunha probably wanted to support Yuju who was constantly watching SinB skip class with a sad sense of longing.

 

SinB took her usual seat beside Umji after grabbing a quick lunch from the kitchens. After the first night, SinB had transfigured the standard hospital chairs into soft, plushy ones. The nurse had looked like she wanted to argue at first, but after she saw how often SinB was there, she stopped staring.

 

Wanting to get rid of it, SinB finished her required schoolwork for the day. It took a few hours, but SinB knew it took longer than it should’ve because she kept looking up periodically to watch Umji. There wasn’t much to see, but something about seeing her soothed SinB.

 

After she finished her work, SinB put her books away and leaned back in her chair. She tilted her head and smiled sadly. “I skipped class again today,” SinB told Umji. “I know you’d be furious with me for skipping so much, but it’s for a good cause, wouldn’t you say? I don’t want you to be alone… What if something happens while I’m gone?

 

“Anyways, I saw Yerin again today. I can practically see you rolling your eyes at me. Yes, I’m talking about her again. Things have changed, I think? In a good way. Let’s see what note she left today.” SinB leaned down and dug around until her fingers closed around a light pink slip of paper. Opening it, SinB said, “Yerin says hi, by the way, but her note says that we shouldn’t give up. The big bad Gryff says not to give up, and I know we usually contradict her for fun, but this time you need to listen.”

 

SinB sighed and tossed the note onto the bedside table. She curled into a ball on the chair and leaned against one arm. “I think I may like Yerin again,” SinB admitted into the quiet. She slumped back in the chair. “Umji, what am I going to do?”

 

“Going to do about what?”

 

SinB looked up to see Eunha carrying food from dinner. Huh, SinB hadn’t even realized it’d gotten that late. She accepted the food gratefully with a smile. As she ate, Eunha took a side next to her.

 

“Was it a good day?” Eunha asked.

 

SinB shrugged, “I got my work done, but Umji’s still a poor conversationalist.”

 

Eunha snorted and hit her arm lightly. “I see. You should try and teach her to be better. Then maybe the teachers won’t be so sulky about you missing class.”

 

“I’m keeping up just fine,” SinB said immediately with a scowl.

 

“I know, I know,” Eunha soothed, “but the teachers–”

 

“The teachers said this was some prank,” SinB cut her off harshly, angrily waving at the hospital wing. “I’m in here and not in class because this isn’t just some prank. It isn’t a coincidence that everyone who’s paralyzed is a muggleborn.”

 

“How do you know that?”

 

SinB scoffed, “Like I didn’t think to check the school’s registry as soon as these attacked started.”

 

“What do you want us to do then?” Eunha countered.

 

“Well, we can’t just sit around!” SinB shouted, going to her feet as she tossed her food to the bedside table. She looked at Umji and clenched her hands into tight fists. “We can’t just let Umji stay like this,” she added quietly.

 

“I know you’re worried but the teachers are doing what they can,” Eunha tried.

 

“It’s been weeks, and they haven’t even bothered to announce the real danger,” SinB growled. She shook her head angrily before letting out a long-suffering sigh. She ran her hands over her face and collapsed into the chair. “I’m sorry for yelling at you,” SinB mumbled. “I’m just… worried.”

 

SinB looked up when Eunha laid a reassuring hand on her shoulder, smiling sympathetically. Eunha said, “It’s okay. We’re both stressed right now, and you’re right in being upset about this not being taken as seriously as we want.” She sighed then added, “But there isn’t much we can do. This level of magic is out of our depth. It probably would’ve been out of Umji’s as well.”

 

“I just want her to be okay,” SinB whispered.

 

This time Eunha got up and hugged SinB. SinB hugged her back, basking in the comfort Eunha gave her, but a small part of her wished for Yerin to be there to hug her too. Flushing at the thought, SinB pulled away and grabbed the food from the bedside table. She ate quietly while Eunha told her about her day, what was done in classes, and SinB nodded along absent-mindedly.

 

Once SinB finished eating, Eunha ran her hand through SinB’s hair affectionately before ruffling it and telling her, “Go wash up. I’ll stay with Umji until you get back.”

 

“Alright,” SinB agreed easily. This had been the routine for the past week. “I’ll be back soon.”

 

“Yes, ma’am,” Eunha drawled sarcastically, giving her a playful salute.

 

SinB grabbed her school bag and waved good-bye as she left. Walking back to the dorm at this time, the halls were mostly empty. SinB passed by a few wide-eyed first years, but otherwise was left alone.

 

As she walked, SinB tried to sort out her feelings for Yerin. Her confession to Umji wasn’t a lie, but SinB didn’t know what to do with that information. While she definitely would not be pursuing Yerin at a time like this, what would happen after? Once Umji was fine, would Yerin’s kindness suddenly disappear, leaving SinB to think she’d dreamed it all? SinB sighed to herself and wondered how she could’ve let herself start falling for Yerin again. It wasn’t fair for her to not only be so cute but to suddenly start being nice after all this time. SinB could only hope this kindness would last.

 

SinB was suddenly pulled out of her thoughts by the sound of hurried footsteps. It sounded like someone was running. SinB’s eyebrows furrowed as she walked faster to round the corner. The hall was empty when SinB entered it. This was right by the dungeons. SinB felt a chill enter her veins when she realized this was where a warning was written during Harry Potter’s time at Hogwarts.

 

With heavy footsteps, SinB walked forward. She gulped and felt her breath leave her as her fears were confirmed. She stepped away from the wall to read the bloody message left.

 

I am worse than the Chamber of Secrets.

 

SinB wanted to throw up, but she fought the urge. She then remembered the running footsteps she’d heard moments before. Had the perpetrator just been here? SinB rushed to the wall, coming dangerously close to the written threat. Taking a deep breath, SinB reached out tentatively and touched the wall. When she pulled her hand away, her fingers were painted red.

 

SinB cursed under her breath for not walking faster when she heard the running. She looked at her fingers and rubbed the redness between her fingers. It was too thick to be blood, thankfully, but there was still the problem of the person wanting it to look like blood.

 

Turning away from the wall, SinB knew she needed to find a professor as soon as possible. However, just as she turned, SinB realized she wasn’t alone anymore. SinB steeled her nerves and tried not to tremble as she took in Sowon’s viciously triumphant face and Yerin’s unnervingly empty one.

 

“I–” SinB tried to say.

 

“I finally have proof,” Sowon cut her off. “Now, I have proof, and I finally caught someone.”

 

Sowon went off on a righteous tangent, but SinB didn’t hear a word of it. Instead, she was looking at Yerin who stared back blankly. SinB tried to convey her innocence, but it was like Yerin wasn’t even seeing her.

 

Then, a professor stumbled upon the three of them there, and Sowon wasted no time flinging accusations.

 

SinB closed her eyes and bitterly accepted her fate.