Chapter 4

Heartbreak and Marriages

“Jina, do you like this dress or the other one?”

“I prefer both.”

“But you can only choose one.”

“I know.”

Planning took over my studies but I still managed to keep up with school at least. Mingyu coped well, making sure I was eating well and sleeping lots, as well as acting more like a boyfriend towards me rather than my fiancee.

We both talked about how to get out of this mess.

“Let’s just admit we can’t really get out of this,” I whispered to him one day as we sampled wedding cakes.

“Mmm, this one is really good,” Mingyu sighed, gesturing to the red velvet one and offering me a slice. “But you gotta admit, don’t you want this kind of stuff? Girls would kill to be in your place.”

“Because I’m marrying you?”

“That, plus weddings! Don’t girls dream of how their weddings will be?”

“I guess that’s true. But I never expected it to be this early.”

“Same here.”

People left me alone after the day Myungho had taken the slap for me. I always thought about that moment and how guilty I felt after it, wishing he hadn’t protected me. I kinda deserved a slap.

Mingyu texted me to meet in the practice room one day during lunch and as I walked over, I heard an intense argument breaking out. I stopped, listening in, recognising the two loudest voices as Mingyu’s and Myungho’s.

“I can’t believe you’re marrying Jina when you knew!” Myungho was yelling.

“I can’t do anything about it when our parents are the 2nd most powerful people next to Presidents!” Mingyu yelled straight back. Before I could intervene, Myungho’s next line stopped me in my tracks, making me freeze and my eyes widen.

“You knew I liked her. You knew. I told you everything. And yet you do this to me.”

“You’re an idiot. She confessed to you and what did you do? Reject her. She was heartbroken that day! Why? Why did you even do that in the first place?”

“I thought she deserved someone better than me! She helped me out so much when I didn’t deserve it.”

“She only did that because she liked you! How can you be so shallow?”

“Because like you said, I’m an idiot! A total idiot that doesn’t know anything!”

“Glad we’re on the same page then.”

I was getting worried that the fight hadn’t been broken up yet and wondered where their leader was. A tap on my shoulder made me gasp slightly and I turned to find Seungcheol standing behind me, face half covered in shadows, looking concerned. He put a finger to his lips to say to keep quiet. Mingyu was unpredictable and so was his next sentence.

“I’ve fallen for Jina these past few months. I’m sure she feels the same way about me. I treat her right, unlike someone.”

He wasn’t lying. I had begun to fall for him without even knowing it. He did treat me right. I felt loved for once. He always paid attention to me, remembering even the tiniest details about me. He was a diligent worker, meaning I could go to him for help if I needed it.

“I’m sorry Myungho but you’re too late. The wedding’s coming up soon.”

“Then cancel it!”

“We’ve tried everything! If we could, we would’ve stopped it from the moment the idea even came up.”

“Ugh, this is like living my worst nightmare,” I heard Myungho say and before I could react, he was at the doorway, staring at me. I stared back, unable to move.

“How much did you hear?” he asked darkly.

“E-everything...” I mumbled back, unable to meet his eyes now. Seungcheol dragged me behind him.

“Myungho, stop--” he was cut off by footsteps and the other members crowded around the door, Mingyu in the lead, breathing heavily.

“I need some air,” Myungho said, turning on his heel and stalking off.

I couldn’t hold back my tears anymore as Mingyu embraced me tightly.