Chapter 3

Heartbreak and Marriages

Let me explain a bit about my family. My dad is the CEO of a huge and very successful jewelry company. My mom is the CEO of a slightly smaller but just as successful pharmacy company. They made headlines in newspapers when they got married. Once I was born, they requested that I try to live a normal life without people following me. Being a very powerful couple, the public obeyed and left me alone. But due to this, I grew up quite lonely, struggling to make friends that wouldn’t use my for my wealth.

Mingyu’s family is a similar story, except his father works closely with my father and our moms were childhood friends who had lost contact with each other until now.

Back to present time. Saturday. Mingyu’s family came over to my place for morning tea. The adults chatted amongst themselves as Mingyu and I stayed quiet the entire time, often asking each other about school or other random topics.

“We must hold a press conference for the wedding,” I heard my mom say and my ears immediately perked in their direction.

“Yes, to announce the engagement of Mingyu and Jina,” my father agreed and I felt my heart sinking and it hit the core of the earth. Being born into a rich family had more cons than pros. One con was that my parents controlled 90% of my life. Mingyu and I just looked worriedly at each other, not being able to have a say in anything.

The next day, our families went out for engagement rings, which would be funded by both families combined.

“Choose the most expensive one Jina, we want you to have only the best!” my father said loudly. My mother scoffed at the rings that I chose, which were simple and offered more expensive one.

Mingyu helped me settle on a 17 carat diamond ring. His band matched mine. I watched as Mingyu was forced to get down on one knee and “propose”. His words, I could tell, were forced. His smile was forced. My ecstatic reaction was forced. Our embrace was not one of happiness but we sent the same message. This really isn’t how it should be.

We hid the rings out of sight the next day at school. I was scared out of my wits. The press conference was today at the school. Not only would the entire school be there but the press too. Mingyu was unusually quiet, forcing a smile whenever he saw his friends. The gossip about the press conference was all over the school. Wondering what it would be about. I kept silent on the topic. Mingyu did the same.

After school, the students, staff and press filed into the huge auditorium. Mingyu and I met with our parents backstage. He had changed into a white suit, me into a white fitted dress. Our parents went out first to a round of applause as Mingyu and I put our rings on. I sighed deeply.

“I’m sorry Mingyu. This is all my fault.”

“No, no. I offered you a ride that day remember?”

“But you could’ve just declined my mother’s invitation.”

“I accepted it because you and I both know it’s rude to turn down something like that.”

“Please put your hands together as we officially announce the engagement of Kim Mingyu and Son Jina!”

We both took deep breaths as clapping sounded. Mingyu grabbed onto my hand.

“Let’s just play the part. Come on.”

We walked out together, making our rings obvious as we stood at the center of the stage, the spotlight shining down on us, the entirety of the school looking at us. Gossiping. Talking. The press’ cameras flashed like there was no tomorrow.

The conference ended. Mingyu and I were forbidden to take off the rings until the wedding, which would be planned for next year.

We all know what would happen the next day. Whispers. Muttering. Each sentence said something horrible. I ignored the shouts and calls. I wasn’t able to ignore when my hair was yanked back harshly, causing me to stumble backwards and cry out in pain, making everyone stop to look at her.

“How dare you get married to Mingyu when he was supposed to marry me!” the girl cried out, her hand raised up to hit me. I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the impact. A slap was heard, but not on my face. I peered through my eyelids to find a tall figure standing in front of me calmly. Myungho?

“That’s enough from you. Piss off,” he warned. The entire courtyard scattered. I stared in shock as Myungho turned to me, one cheek bright red, eyes watering slightly. He looked as if he was about to say something, he shook his head, walking off and leaving me alone.