Study

Obstacles

 

He glanced up from the book, there she was. Again. Like him, she was bend over a book immersed in studying. Beside her was a cup of coffee and a bottle of juice. The bottle being similar to the one he had on the left side of his book. He moved his eyes to the wrist watch beside the juice. Still twenty minutes till she would leave.
She would always be the first one to leave, and most often in a rush. She would look at her phone gasp, standup, gather her things into her bag and almost run out. It was probably for a part-time job he guessed. He had one as well, most people had one. He liked to imagine how her life was different and more exciting than his; however, he knew very well it wasn't the case.
He had long ago recognized the familiar half moons under her eyes, the often greasy hair and wrinkled clothing. It was all too familiar.
Just like him, she stayed up late to study, trying to use the last few minutes before another day would start. Another day with a part time job that didn't pay enough, studying, another underpaid parttime job, studying, a poor meal and again, more studying.
He had seen her many times, and they had become study buddies - at least that was how he viewed it. They never spoke, but always sat together, in front of each other. It was a bit cheesy he thought, but he kind of liked their quiet non-official friendship. The first one would always bring a drink for the other and make sure the opposite spot was free. Cheesy indeed. They had been like this for what felt like a decade.
He had long ago tried to figure out by the look of her books, clothes, bag, face and everything else about her, how long she had been studying, however it was hard. Even if her books looked old they could have been bought secondhand or she could just be studying really really hard. But yet, it was hard to tell. Just a few days in their environment and everyone could look like they had been studying for ages.

Like him, she was studying for the bar exam. ? 
According to the newspaper, the two of them where studying like thousands of other young people. Making the chance of passing even smaller. He sighed, wondering what honrrendous news the newspaper would bring that evening.

 

He glanced at his watch again, 15 minutes. With a sigh he returned to read in the two books in front of him and taking notes. How was he supposed to memorize all this? Would there ever be an end to this hell?
The answer was simple: yes, there was an end. In two weeks to be exact. That was if he- no, they passed the examination. He had gone to all the religious places he could come up with to pray, for not only himself, but for both of them.
Two weeks, if he wanted to make it, he had to study harder!
His hand moved as his eyes flew over the letters, tables, and whatother in the books around him. It wasn't that hard, he could  do it. His brother had done it, his parents had done it. His sister… They had all passed it before him, so why wouldn't he be able to? He clenched the pen in his hand. He had no choice but to pass. It was already his second try, he had to pass this time.
A book closed, and papers were gathered, he glanced up, it was time. She was leaving, today, not in a rush but calmly yet there was something in her eyes. The pressure from the examination he guessed, it was the same for everyone. As the last thing from the table she grabbed the juice and sent him a smile and nod before leaving. It meant "thanks". He looked after her for a second, the pony tail swinging from side to side as she hastily went outside. She was and enemy, and yet a friend he thought before returning his attention to the countless of books around him.

 

He was walking into the library's study area with books under his arm, the bag over one shoulder and his mind set to study till the library would close. He hadn't slept properly for the last few days, he still needed to study so many things before he could call himself prepared. Prepared. He wondered if she felt prepared?
He got to the table and found her already there. The dark circles under her eyes were deeper than ever - his were probably similar to hers. It was a bit reassuring to know he wasn't the only one beeing more stressed out due to the examination getting closer and closer. Time would soon be up.
He placed a bottle of juice in front of her before sitting down himself. Both of them would need the vitamins the juice (hopefully) contained.
She didn't react, but he knew she had noticed it, but she, like him, was too busy studying - memorizing - to interact with other people.
A few hours later she left like normal, thanking him like normal. This, would be the last time the two would be seating like this. This library would be closed over the weekend due to some reconstructions - just his luck. Unless both of them passed and ended up in the same class, or, if both of them failed the examination and would have to study for the next examination, they wouldn't see each other again.
If both of them passed, he would talk to her, make friends with her. If both of them passed.
As he saw her leave, he wished he had written her a good-luck note. But now it was too late. Their relationship hadn't been based on communication anyway. He returned to the book.
The long sentences suddenly seemed like gibberish and he had to hit himself a couple of times to regain the concentration.

 

It was with heavy steps he entered the library. It had been long since he had been there. It looked the same, and yet something about the air was different.
He got to their table,  she was not there.
Two things happened inside him. Conflict. Was he happy for her or jealous? She had passed the examination. He was sure about it, if she hadn't she would have returned, just like him.
She had been studying hard he ecalled, if anyone had deserved to pass, it was her. But, hadn't he been studying just as hard as she had? He hadn't been sleeping for days, skipping meals, just to study. He had been studying at least as hard as she had, if not more. Oh well, judging by her bag and clothes, she had most likely needed to pass. It didn't seem like her parents would have the money to support her much longer just like his.
He stared at the empty spot in front of him. He had to admit, he a felt a bit lonely without her sitting there. Well, at least one of them had passed. He was happy for her. Even if he was jealous of her, envied her, he was happy for her. Now she was one step closer to a better life. One step closer to their common dream.
The librarian looked after him when he left, with pittiful eyes - well, at least someone was pitying him. Unlike his parents continously telling him he hadn't been studying enough.
Like always, he grabbed a newspaper in the convenience store. It was the only luxury he allowed himself while studying.

A familiar face was one page 2.
His eyes grew big, his thoughts started wondering whether it was actually worth it. What was the purpose of taking the exam even?
 

________________________________________

N/A - sorry if it's unreadable, it was a brainfart in class.