Reciprocation

Space for Rent

Aizawa and Hiyama could never be seen leaving or entering the house together. It was always either Hiyama was on duty while Aizawa was not, or the other way around. If both of them happened to be on morning shifts, Aizawa would usually leave first, leaving Hiyama eating in the kitchen and him eating whatever he sees on his way to work. At nights, even if nobody lived near them, they still did not go with each other. It would either be Aizawa or Hiyama who would need to buy something. If all of them would gather in Mary Jane’s place, Hiyama would always be sending the drunk Shiraishi home, and by the time she gets to the apartment, he has been in his room already. That was how Aizawa planned to be. Given that he had barged in Hiyama in the bathroom more often that he wanted to, that was enough interaction that he needed. But sometimes, it is proven that even the greatest plans could be broken. And he hates it, at least that’s what he is telling himself.  

Aizawa just got out from the shower, one towel covering the lower part of his body, and another one to dry himself off. Hiyama was still in the bathtub, not willing to move from it. Usually if then end up sharing the bathroom together, Hiyama would be done by now, blow drying her hair and such. He wanted to comment on her slowness but decided against it. He left her there and it was her cue that she actually needed to go. She could not be bothered to fix herself that much and just put on the clothes she thinks would be the best for the day.

Aizawa was about to go out the door but he paused for a while seeing Hiyama. Seeing her more often, it was unusual that she was slow and not happy. He always had to fight the urge to roll his eyes at her every morning as she continues to taunt and mercilessly. His eyes slightly widened seeing that Hiyama was also going out the door already.

“I’m not in the mood to cook today.” She looked really tired and dead even before starting the morning shift.

And contrary to popular belief, Aizawa cares about his colleagues/friends. “Are you okay?” He was genuinely concerned for the different Hiyama.

“Fine. Just my period.” He nodded in understanding.

Both of them left the apartment, him telling himself that he wants to stick to what he is used to and eat at the convenience store, but deep inside, he was afraid that in the rate Hiyama was doing right now, she might get hit by a car or fall into a drainage, and still she won’t be aware.

Hiyama simply just not care. She respected Aizawa’s request of not blurting it out to their friends about their shared apartment, but for today, she wishes that he’ll just make an exception.

They reached the convenience store and Hiyama was definitely hungry, but the pain that she feels is far worse than her hunger. She just plopped down on the chairs outside for a minute, planting her face on the cold table. It was still early to go to work so she can use this time to just rest for a while. She saw Aizawa going inside the store and debating with herself if she would ask him to buy her food and pain killers. Even before she could decide, he had finished buying already. It took her that long to make a decision. And she decided to eat her pride and ask him.

She lifted up her head and was going to say something but a cup of noodles was placed before her and some medicine and water too. She saw that Aizawa had his own food so it was definitely for her. It definitely made her day. She beamed at him and thanked him for the food.

After the food and medicine, it changed her former dead self and regained her happy and smiling personality. She was too happy for the free food that she was to the point of skipping while walking. This means that she was also back into making Aizawa’s life a somewhat similar to hell.

“Aizawa-kun is slow~” She was skipping and looking back at him. “Aizawa-kun would be late~ I won’t be~” She continued her sing-song until they reached the locker rooms, he was just thankful that they did not bump into someone they know. He loathes the moment he gave her food and medicine.

At the morning meeting, Hiyama was still too happy and at first it creeped the others out and it took out the focus on them arriving at the meeting almost at the same time. He had studied about this kind of behavior that sometimes is observed during the menstruation period of women, but seeing it up-close like that, it is different. And all of them had to endure it for the next few days.

The next situation that they encountered the both of them going inside the apartment together was when Aizawa was too drunk to even know where he was going. It was definitely the equivalent hell for Hiyama since she had to send home both Shiraishi and then drag Aizawa home.

She was having fun seekng that when Shiraishi is in her drunk state, she gains the confidence that she wanted and be able to talk to Aizawa. It had been a long time now that Shiraishi had the deep crush for Aizawa and he is too dense to notice. Shiraishi had told Hiyama all their elevator episodes and she is definitely rooting for them. Before she could never understand her colleague’s taste.

“What did you even like about that arrogant guy?” Hiyama and Shiraishi were drinking in Mary Jane’s place. Shiraishi had just finished telling her about how thankful she was that Aizawa agreed to go back with the team.

Shiraishi blushed before answering. “Aizawa-sensei is not arrogant.” Shiraishi tried to defend him and got only a raised eyebrow from Hiyama, a clear ‘are-kidding-me look’

“But Aizawa-sensei is always there. Even if he does not talk much, he is ready to help.” Shiraishi had a dreamy look on her. “When we get stuck with a patient, he always know how to treat them.” Hiyama had to nod with that.

“And don’t forget that his face is very handsome as well.” Mary Jane decides to join in the conversation. “He has the blank expression that makes him look mysterious. It can definitely melt anyone. If his forehead shows the wrinkles that it makes when he’s thinking about something.” Mary Jane sighed happily. “If only Megumi-chan does not like Kosaku, I’d get him for myself.”

Hiyama was totally bewildered by what she heard. “Mihoko-chan, you only look at Kosakuu in a bad light. Maybe you should try and look at his face. Just once.” Hiyama could only chuckle. “Never going to happen.” In her mind, that face, she sees it at work and sometimes even at home, but it is still the same. The cocky attitude.

She debated on dropping Aizawa on the couch or to put him properly on his bed. Realizing that he is very heavy, she help him lay down on the sofa first. He was mumbling something and Hiyama tried to listen to what he was saying.

“Obaa-chan… Don’t… Obaa-chan.”

Hiyama could only look at him. Sure this guy could be compared to a bastard at some times, but she saw firsthand on how he loves his grandmother so much. That is one thing that she is amazed by him, that he cares for family. Her father told her about how it was Aizawa who explained to him on what happened to her when she had her operation and even accompanied him when she was still not waking up. It left a big impact on her heart. It made her realize that her colleague operated on her so that she could continue what she is doing now. He was also the one who said that he would wait for her after all the patients were treated. Just like what Shiraishi said, he is always there.

He was now passed out on the couch but his eyebrows and forehead started to move. As if he was thinking of something, they did crease. She chuckled a bit with how Mary Jane was right about his face. He always had this stoic look, but when it is about his family, for a moment, that brick wall breaks down and makes him human. She decided to just let him sleep on the couch, at least she could for that tomorrow.

As she went to get her things from her room, she looked at Aizawa again. After fixing herself in the bathroom, she got a blanket and some medicine for him. She covered him with it and closed the lights. All the while just thinking that she is doing this because the team needs him, or maybe also because he had took care of her even not in purpose.