Slips in Time

Space for Rent

“He has hematemesis.” The patient coughed out blood. “Suction.”

“He also has melena.”

“Epistaxis caused by GI hemorrhage. He has coagulopathy.”

“Something’s off."

“This is not a case of economy class syndrome.” 

“Everyone, let’s stand back for a moment. Those who aren’t wearing masks, wear one. Goggles too. Let’s implement precautionary measures.”

As the flurries of “hai” bounced off the room and nurses helped the doctors wear their protective gear, it dawned on Hiyama.

__________________________

Hiyama was all alone inside the isolation room she was in right now. Looking at her bandaged pinky finger, she let out a sigh. It was just a few hours ago when it all happened. A tiny mishap in the emergency response led her to be all alone. 

Grabbing her cellphone, she scrolled through the articles she had been looking at for quite some time already. All the patient’s symptoms were there. An 80% fatality rate. And just a few hours ago she was about to get married. 


__________________________

“Hiyama-sensei! Didn’t I tell you that you can take the day off?” Shiraishi was shocked to see that Hiyama was putting on the gear for flight duty. “You should be resting and preparing.”

Hiyama turned to Shiraishi. “The hotel is only 10 minutes from here. I’ll reach it by the end of the shift.” After making sure that she has all the equipment on her, she grabbed her tablet and started checking on the files.

Outside the office area, Shiraishi could hear Fujikawa’s voice. “Is your wedding cancelled? What are you doing here?” and after a while, Fujikawa’s voice again echoed, “You too? What’s wrong with the two of you?”

__________________________

It’s not like she’s regretting not listening to Shiraishi, or her father, or even Tachibana-sensei that she and Aizawa should have taken the whole day off. As a doctor who had dedicated her life in saving people’s lives, she knows how much one minute could help another person. And as soon as she opened those thoughts, all the ifs and what could haves entered her mind. 

Maybe she should have been the one to inject the patient. Maybe she should have not gotten on the heli today. Maybe she should have just taken the day off. If only she did any of these, she would not be here in the room, all alone, fearing for the results that are yet to come. 

“Heh, so much for today being special.”

She looked around and there was nothing. No one. She is isolated from everyone until the tests are conclusive. Indeed, she will be stuck inside these four walls without anyone. As a doctor, it pains her. As a doctor, she has the responsibility to take care of their patients, even if it means that she does not go near them to check up on them. And as fellow doctors, the Lifesaving Team, they have to fulfill their responsibility as well. Even if it means that she is left alone. Even if it means that her supposedly soon-to-be-husband would not be with her as well.

It may have helped that their relationship had never been normal. They were just colleagues who helped each other out, supported, criticized, but took care of as well. It was basically the same for all the doctors in the Lifesaving Team. If not for the fire in her apartment, never would she have thought that she would grow closer to another person, and Aizawa for that matter. He was the most arrogant doctor/unit owner she ever met. True, he has a soft side for his grandmother, but that’s it. Imagine if he was around kids, will his stoic face still be the same? A smelly diaper, or a toddler running around and creating havoc in the living room. How would he react? 

Laughing lightly, she realized some tears had escaped. Who wouldn’t be sad after realizing that what could have been the start of their lifetime together turned into a blurry and uncertain future for her. 

Thinking about him made Hiyama look through her cellphone. She scrolled past the numbers until it reached his name. It was just simple “Aizawa Kousaku - Lifesaving Team '' hovering over his name, Hiyama hesitated to call. Swiping over to create a text message instead, she realized that they have never texted each other. Doctors as they are, they are always on the go. Texting could take up precious time and if it is really urgent, they might not even see them on time. Deciding to just pass up her time on her own, she was about to close the messaging app when a message came in. It was from him. 

 

[Aizawa Kousaku - Lifesaving Team: Food Tray]

 

She can’t help but scoff. This man that she unconsciously cried for earlier? Maybe there is something wrong with her mind. Getting up, she walked to the door. There was a special food tray situated outside where the personnel can leave her food and other necessities. She looked at it and there was an onigiri placed on it. Again, she scoffed. It may be her favorite plum onigiri but patients should be given better food! She took out her cellphone and typed a reply.

 

[Hiyama: You can’t even bring me better food? This is such a downgrade from the hotel dinner we should have been eating. ]

[Aizawa Kousaku - Lifesaving Team: Door knob.]

 

Hyama was confused for a moment and slowly opened the door. There hanging on the door knob outside her room was a paper bag from Mary Jane’s place. She let out a smile when another message came in. 

 

[Aizawa Kousaku - Lifesaving Team: Smile more, there’s beer inside. This is the only time I’m giving you some.]

 

She looked up and saw at the far end of the corner, Aizawa was holding his cellphone, typing away but he too looked up when he heard the door opening. For a slight moment, they saw each other’s faces. As much as she wants to keep the door open as this was the interaction she had already been missing, she had to be responsible. She took the paper bag and went inside. There was still a window where she could still see him. 

 

[Hiyama: Heh, are you getting me drunk? That’s not a gentleman move.]

[Aizawa Kousaku - Lifesaving Team: Figured you would have drunk if it pushed through. Give you some courage to do it.]

 

Hiyama can’t believe what she is seeing. Good thing she is inside the room and he can’t see how flustered these words made her. True, it would have been their wedding night. And wedding nights are supposed to be celebrated with a union. The thought of it had her all red. If it weren’t for all that happened, she would have been with him by now. 

Outside, Aizawa figured that his words made her unable to reply. There was a reason he did not call. Too many nurses spreading all that they can hear. Letting out a smile, he typed again. 

 

[Aizawa Kousaku - Lifesaving Team: I already talked to Obaa-chan and your father. We’ll reschedule everything after your isolation.]

 

Hiyama looked out the window and looked at him. He signalled that he would be going already indicating the start of night shift. She nodded and silently, even though she knows he won’t hear it, muttered a thank you. 

Reading his messages, hearing it from him made all the difference. It was not as if he was just hoping that the results would be negative. Coming from him, it gave her an assurance that she will get out of isolation. 

She took the paper bag to the table and took out its contents. As mentioned there was beer and all her favorites from Mary Jane’s. Just then, another message came in.

 

[Aizawa Kousaku - Lifesaving Team: I gave the food from the hotel away to the Lifesaving Team.]

 

Her mood had already improved greatly and somehow she is feeling back to her old self again, 

 

[Hiyama: Why didn’t you give me some? I was the one who chose the steak!]

[Aizawa Kousaku - Lifesaving Team: If I can’t enjoy our wedding night, so can’t you.]

 

And instantly, Hiyama’s face had blushed. Good thing he can’t see her right now. He would have used it against her. Maybe messaging was not too bad at all. She clicked on the name on the screen and edited it. Looking at the time, she thought that he would have clocked in for the night shift already, but another text came in. 

 

[Aizawa Kousaku: I’ve already told the nurses. No matter how much you plead with them, they won’t give you coffee.]

 

Although she replied with an angry face, she knows that it was far from what she is feeling. Looking at the now edited name, Aizawa is now part of her bigger life, not just a colleague she works with. 

The clock ticked and signaled the start of the new hour. Earlier she was mulling about how much time is wasted being alone inside. But looking at the texts she just received, maybe isolation was good, she’ll just use the time to figure out how to not blush easily. She doesn't know how to look Aizawa in the face after reading those.