Onigiri

Space for Rent

Hiyama was silent throughout his meeting with Tachibana-sensei. She just nods when she thinks she needs to. Apart from the two of them in the staff area, no one else was there to eavesdrop on the conversation.

 

“Hiyama-sensei, I know that this is not the right time to be reminding you of our protocols. Shiraishi-sensei and I had talked about it and you can have the days off to be able to take care of your father.” Tachibana looked at the doctor in front of him, not seeming to refute like she would always have.

 

Hiyama just nodded. “I don’t think it would be necessary to have the days off since I would be in the hospital anyway. Let me be on-call if there is a lack of doctors.” Hiyama bowed and excused herself from the other.

 

Tachibana knows that there is no use trying to get Hiyama to take the days off fully and he was ready to accept even just that. He went out of the room and saw that Aizawa was coming inside the room.

 

As he passed by, he stopped Aizawa. “If there is no need for Hiyama, don’t call her. Let her take the time off.” Aizawa nodded and walked past him, but Tachibana continued on, “Be there for her. It’s a tough time knowing that it’s her father in our beds. Even if he is out of danger, it would still take a toll on her.” Aizawa was about to refute but Tachibana did not let him. “And don’t you ever give me that cold attitude as an excuse. You and I both know you two share something none of the others dare to break the wall in.” Aizawa paused for a while before nodding.

 

As Tachibana exited the room, he muttered, “What’s with the kids these days and their obsession with nods?”

 

Aizawa looked at the documents he was holding. It was Hiyama’s father. He opened it and read through the intricate and detailed medical history. He smiled a little, knowing it must have been Hiyama who wrote it.

 

Fujikawa and Shiraishi entered the room and asked him to join them as they visit Hiyama and her father. He quickly refused and feigned nonchalance choosing to do some paperwork instead.

 

As the minutes pass by and Shiraishi and Fujikawa came back, he listened to the discussion of the two.

 

Fujikawa was eating an apple and bit into it before speaking. “You know, it’s hard to talk to Hiyama right now. I actually don’t know what to say.”

 

Shiraishi nodded, “Me too, it feels different that one of us is like that.”

 

“Yeah, when it was Aizawa he was all cocky and didn’t even stay next to his grandmother,” Shiraishi slappped her hand to his mouth and pointed to Aizawa who was still not responding. “Fujikawa-sensei, please be careful of your words.”

 

Aizawa just stood up and left the room. Shiraishi just sighed. Fujikawa just scratched his head. “Well it was the truth. And even now he did not even try to comfort Hiyama at all.”

 

Shiraishi too was confused. If they are in a relationship, he would be there for her, but it’s as if Hiyama does not even differ from any usual patient of his. She knows she should not feel that way, but maybe there is something amiss between the two.

 

Hiyama was checking her father’s chart when a knock came on the door and Aizawa entered without even waiting for a response. He put down a pair of scrubs on the side of the bed.

 

“You know it’s common courtesy to wait for an answer from the person inside to let you in.” Hiyama did not look at him and was just focusing on the chart. Aizawa did not answer and just checked the patient.

 

“Temperature, normal. Pupils, not responsive.” Hiyama sighed and put down the chart.

 

Nobody talked for a few moments before Aizawa handed her the spare scrubs. “Landlord’s blood is still in your clothes.”

 

Hiyama nodded and without any second thoughts, started to change in front of Aizawa. Her eyes did not even leave his father. After changing into a set of new clothes. She looked at the blood in her clothes. “I did not even had the chance to visit the landlord. How is he?”

 

“Shinkai operated, he’s still unconscious.” Hiyama nodded

 

“Since I’m wearing these scrubs anyway, better get back to duty.” She was about to leave the room when Aizawa spoke, “Stay here. Your emotions would hinder you in work.”

 

Hiyama looked at him, angry. “And what? To show that I’m weak? That I’m incapable of working just because my father got admitted in here?”

 

Aizawa did not answer. He let Hiyama talk. Knowing full well that it was her only time to let it all out.

 

“I did not study for years to just to be called weak. I did not spend all my time in this hospital to just waste it away.” Hiyama was fighting back the tears that threatened to fall. In all honesty, Aizawa did not do anything wrong, but knowing that it was Aizawa and they bicked, argued, back and forth more often than not, it just seems normal to be letting out her anger at him. From all the stares that she received on the hour alone, it made her feel that she was indeed weak.

 

Hiyama was preparing for another round of words but Aizawa cut her off, turning back on her and going for the door, he spoke, “You said you’d cry.”

 

As if those words echoed to her mind, she remembered that day. That day on the elevator, when everyone complimented Aizawa on his composure at work even if his grandmother was admitted.

 

“I’d cry though, if it was me. Because nothing can be done. Your only relative has developed an illness.

 

And indeed she let her tears fall. Quietly, wiping away each tear that escapes. She laughed bitterly. As both of them were at the door already, she slumped down on the floor. Not minding that Aizawa was there. But him there, it felt better. She wanted to be alone in the first place that’s why she dismissed Shiraishi and Fujikawa when they visited, she just can’t seem to try and speak to them. But with Aizawa, she does not even care anymore.

 

She laughed again, “You know why I’m laughing?” Aizawa fought the urge to that she’s bipolar, and as if Hiyama read his mind, “You’re thinking because you think I’m bipolar right? Typical Aizawa.” His lips unknowingly tugged into a smirk. “I’m laughing because when I checked my phone after transferring him in the ICU, I opened the message he sent me this morning. The one I did not read. He was reminding me to drink lots of fluids because of the weather. He knows how much I hate Summer.”

 

Aizawa leaned his side on the door, looking at Hiyama’s father on the bed rather than at Hiyama. Again, he let her talk she wanted. Wiping away the tears, she continued. “My father is a fool. Warning his daughter of the heat and forgetting to hydrate himself. Walking under the sun without an umbrella. He could have taken the cab or bus. Why of all days would he want to walk? What is he even doing here? Last time I checked he was in Kyoto and he won’t be back until” she looked at the calendar and laughed again, “heh, it seems I was the one who forgot. He does come back today.”

 

Aizawa let out a chuckle but stopped himself. Hiyama turned her head towards him. “Eh? You’re laughing? The great arrogant cocky doctor knows how to laugh.”

 

Silence enveloped them for a while.

 

"He knows you. He remembers you as the doctor who stayed with him when I was hospitalized. Out of all my colleagues, you’re the only one he remembers. Not even Kuroda-sensei or Tadokoro-bucho. He’d mention you whenever I go back home for the holidays or any day he can. He’ll go,’You’re still not in a relationship? How about that nii-san that Kousuke talks about? Or that man who I met in the hospital? The one who showed me your room? He looks decent.’ i had to fight the urge to gag and roll my eyes at him.” She knows that she just keeps on babbling right now. She’s just not too sure if she can handle silence.

 

She looked at the clock and stood up. “Your break time is over. Go back to your usual arrogant self.” She fixed her discarded clothes on the floor and looked at her father once again. “Don’t worry, I won’t barge in the staff area for no reason. Maybe just for that onigiri I was eating yesterday.”

 

Aizawa opened the door, “Just buy one downstairs. I’ll throw that once I get back. Rice keeps on sticking on my files.”

 

Hiyama eyed him as he walked out. With a low voice that she’s not sure if he could hear, she spoke. “Thank you.”

And if he did not hear that, she raised the volume as she said her next words, “And don’t you dare throw that onigiri. You’ll buy me ten if I don’t see it there later.” And he just smirked.

 

Shiraishi was stretching her neck as she neared the door to the staff room. He can see Aizawa moving inside and was debating to talk to him or not. If it was awkward before to just approach him and talk about anything, much more now.

 

She walked and entered, she saw what he was doing. He was picking out rice from the folders on his side of the table. Aizawa then took the half-eaten onigiri and threw it in the trash can. She was surprised as everyone knew how much Hiyama eats every food that she keeps in her table. Thinking that it may be a chance to talk to him, remind him about Hiyama’s dislike for throwing her left-overs, he saw Aizawa took out a plastic bag and put it on Hiyama’s table. From the outside it could be seen that it was a bag full of onigiri.

 

He sat down and Fujikawa also entered the room.

 

“Oh, I’m so tired. It’s not even lunch time and we already had ten patients.” Shiraishi followed to go inside. She also sat down and tried to look at Aizawa, but as usual, he has that stoic poker face on.

 

“And I’m so hungry.” Fujikawa looked over Hiyama’s table and saw the bag of onigiri. “Wow, a whole bag of onigiri. Hiyama won’t mind that I take one right?” He was about to grab one when Shiraishi talked. "I won’t do that if I were you Fujikawa-sensei. Hiyama-sensei might get mad for it.”

 

Fujikawa rolled her eyes, “It’s not as if she’s here, right?” It was Aizawa’s turn to speak. “Let him, and see what Hiyama would do.”

 

“I’m just going to take one. Sheesh, you people are so afraid of Hiyama.” His hand was already inside the bag when another voice came in.

 

“Really Fujikawa? If I find one piece missing from that bag, I’ll tell Saejima your secret.” Hiyama was entering the room and immediately Fujikawa retracted his hand.

 

Shiraishi was trying to control her smile but it was Aizawa who was trying to hide his interest in what was happening by typing in his computer but the tugging of lips could still be seen.

 

“Hiyama! You- you’re here. Wha- what are you-you doing he-here?" Fujikawa was sweating. Hiyama plopped down on her chair and looked at her table.

 

“Where’s my onigiri?” She looked around until she saw it in the trash can. She scoffed and looked inside the bag, she counted each one. Exactly ten. “And to answer your question Fujikawa, I’m here because my sister just came and switched places with me to look after our father.”

 

She bit into one of the onigiri and muttered under her breath, “And that means Kosuke is here too. I came here to escape that kid.”

 

She was not even finished chewing when a high-pitched voice, “Mihoko-bachan!” was heard and followed by a laugh from their superior.

 

Hiyama groaned and Tachibana smiled at everyone. “Hiyama, I found your nephew. I thought he was looking for you so I brought him here.”

 

Hiyama looked over at Kosuke who was now running and rummaging inside her bag of onigiris. Tachibana continued to talk, “And by found I mean inside your father’s room and asking permission from your sister to take him here.” Tachibana was about to reach for an onigiri too but his hand was swatted away by Hiyama.

 

Kosuke looked to the side and greeted Aizawa. He took one onigiri. “Nii-san, thank you for the food! I saw you buying onigiris downstairs. You looked so cool carrying lots and lots of onigiri earlier.”

 

Tachibana laughed. Fujikawa was wide-eyed. Shiraishi looked over at the two doctors in front of her. Aizawa was secretly looking at Hiyama’s expression which was a mix of embarrassment, shock, and blush. Taking her eyes off of them, a pang in her heart hurts.

 

Tachibana continued to laugh while Hiyama was berating Kosuke for saying such things. Fujikawa was still at lost at what was happening. Aizawa let out that tug in his lips. Yes, it seems Hiyama could only bring that out in Aizawa.