epilogue

fam(ily) || parkjimin ff

Five Years Later; Christmas Day:

"How was the dinner?" You asked Kim as she settled in the spot next to you on the couch. 

"Delicious, when did you learn how to cook? I've known you for my entire life and all you knew how to make were eggs." Kim smiled as she sipped her mug filled with warm eggnog.

Your uncle lightly patted your head and joined the conversation, "Kim's right. I remember when you came over that one time and you almost burned my house down. You and little Kimmy never set foot in the kitchen ever again."

"Dad, we were trying to make you breakfast." Kim laughed and made room for her father to sit down. He looked better everyday and you were so happy that you were able to fly him down to spend Christmas together.

Scanning the room, you saw all your closest friends and family chatting among themselves. Jimin's relatives and coworkers were all mingaling as well. It was an image you wanted to remember forever. It was happiness. "Jimin did most of the cooking. I didn't trust myself that much."

Jimin caught your eyes from across the room. He stood next to Jungkook and smiled. His eyes ducked down to the ground shyly, but quickly back up to look at you. His head motioned to your shared bedroom and you excused yourself to follow him.

"I know we said we wouldn't get each other something, but I couldn't help myself." Jimin was shuffling through the closet and pulled out a neatly wrapped box. A big mischievous grin appeared when you unraveled the present.

"Now I feel bad because I really didn't get you anything." You sighed, anticipation and guilt raising. 

His strong arms wrapped around your waist and he kissed your temple. "Don't feel bad. I was the one who broke the deal. It's also not even that big of a gift."

Inside revealed a coffee mug with large font printed on the side.

#1 MOM

"It's to match my corny cup." He mumbled into your ear. It was a big deal. Even though the girls addressed you as their mother, it wasn't real. It was a title you still couldn't fit. You loved Minseo and Minjoo with your entire heart, but the elephant in the room didn't allow for comfort. You loved them with a heavy heart.

"Jimin, I can't accept this. I'm not —"

"Dad! Mom!" Minseo's voice caught your attentions. Turning around in your husband's arms, you saw soft eyes staring back at you and a sweet smile resting on his face. 

"You will be soon." He rushed you out and a spot was left for you on the couch. Minjoo and Minseo stood in front of it. Everyone was gathered, waiting for something. They watched as Jimin lead you to sit down. The silence was killing you.

"What's going on?" The atmosphere was unsettling. It felt like everyone was hiding a secret from you.

The girls shared a piece of paper, a jittery grin before them. Minseo cleared and her eyes darted around the crowded room. "First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone."

"We're gathered at this important moment because we, Minseo and I, have something we need to give Ms. (Y/N)." You were never strict to enforce the mom title. It was okay for them to call you by your name because it made events easier to transition.

"You two got me a Christmas present? Why are you guys and your father so much alike?" You joked and laughter filled the living room. Jimin stood at the side, watching the scene unfold. He was rocking left to right, like he couldn't wait for the reveal.

"For the past five years, you've been in our lives, helping us every step of the way. You showed us compassion and love. The past five years, you've selflessly given your everything for our family. You let me cry horrendously on your shoulder when I was six about not having a mom." Minjoo was tearing up, her voice breaking between sentences.

"You took care of us, silly girls, when you didn't need to. We are more than grateful for that. We are grateful that you were able to be someone who we were missing. You became our mom, unofficially. I still remember the moment we saw you after a month. You came back and you stayed." Minseo wiped the small droplets from her cheeks.

Their kind words caused practically every friend and family member to tear up. Your watery eyes looked over to see Jimin with wet cheeks, staring at his baby girls giving such a heartwarming speech.

"We know we're sometimes a handful. We misbehave, but not for one second did you stop loving us. You're our hero. Minseo, Dad, and I have been saved by this incredibly strong woman. We went from a family of three to a family of four because you wanted us. Sissy and I took a pledge on your wedding day that we would be the best daughters to you because you were the best to us."

"Not everyone would take this responsibility, especially after knowing the truth about our past. However, you didn't flinch or have a doubt in your mind when Dad told you. You held us in your arms that night and told us that even though none of us were related, we were a family. It was love that bonded us, not blood. I will never love anyone as much as I love you and Dad. We cannot be more thankful for you and Dad." Kim's hand rested on your thigh, and you peered over at the mascara running under her eyes.

"Dad raised us alone for six years when we weren't even his and I didn't think there was anyone stronger than him. You proved me wrong. You didn't even know Stacey, our birth mother, but you still tried your best to fill in her shoes. I repeat the same thing I said to you five years ago because it still represents how I feel to this day. If I were to have a mom, I'd wish it was you." Minjoo handed the paper over to her sister as she reached underneath the coffee table for a box.

"So, finally, we present to you our Christmas present." Your wet hands accepted the box and everyone started to crowd in closer to get a peek. Your heart sat in your throat, and your eyes flowed with more tears.

As you got closer and closer to the surprise, Minseo and Minjoo said in unison, "Merry Christmas, Mom. Will you officially be ours?"

Blinking, you couldn't believe what was before you. Adoption papers. An uncontrollable feeling tugged down at your heart, releasing it back into your chest. Hurrying up, you ran to hug your beautiful daughters.

"A million times yes." You sobbed and applause broke out. Jimin kissed the tops of their heads, and embraced you with all his strength.

You finally felt worthy of being their mother. For the past five years, the once foreign feeling became familiar. It was something you felt every passing day. It was going to be a feeling you were going to feel for the rest of your life.

"I love our family." You whispered confidently to the small family in your arms.

Minjoo, Minseo, and Jimin exchanged glances and shared their signature smiles.

"We love you, Mom." That was when it felt real.

 


[a/n]: thank you for everyone who subscribed and commented for this story !! it really means a lot to me and knowing that you guys enjoy reading my content ((-: