How It was Settled

I Love You, and I'm Sorry for That

 

a·ban·don  (-bndn)

tr.v. a·ban·doned, a·ban·don·ing, a·ban·dons

To withdraw one's support or help from, especially in spite of duty

 

                “And that’s exactly what you did, isn’t it?”

 

                She didn’t expect much from life. Her mother had already been taken away from her. Another woman had intruded her home, her life, and her happiness, causing distrust to form between her and her father, breaking and taking away their bond.

                And here she is, now, on a plane, to a foreign country she had never been to, with her brother at her side, and the hopes of creating a new life for herself. If only it were that simple.

 

Maiko

               

                Her house back in Japan had been small, but warm, comforting, welcoming, until that woman came anyways. But it had been home for such a long time. It was all she knew. Her mother – loving, caring, and protective – had passed away two years ago, but to her, it felt like only moments.  Her father – hardworking, always providing for the family, honest, and a great caregiver – had now become cold and distant. Not even a year after her mother’s passing, he had gotten remarried to a cruel, heartless woman with children of her own. The house had been flipped upside down in her eyes, and rightfully so.

                Her youngest siblings, not even old enough to be considered children, had soon become attached to their new mother while her oldest brother had openly denied the woman the privilege of being called “Mother”. She followed his example.

                Not even reaching her nineteenth birthday, she had left along with her brother, and abandoned the life she knew. Leaving behind not only her family, but her closest friends and heading off to a new country. Not only leaving behind, but also running away from these effects.

 

               

Maiko’s POV

 

               

                “Ne, are you sure we’re going the right way?” I asked as I turned to face Ryuu, my older brother.

                Twisting and turning the map in all sorts of directions, he hands the map over to me but refuses to say anything.

                “Ne, are you sure you wrote down the right address?”

                I know I hit a nerve when I see his head practically throbbing with the pain of knowing just how right I am. But, still unable to ask for directions, we continued our search for hours without any breaks at all. Finally, when we came to this elaborate building, I decided to ask for directions, with or without the help of my brother.

                Moving ahead, I went to the front desk and asked, “Excuse me, can you help me? I’m looking for my friend’s apartment complex. Here’s the address.”

                The older lady took the piece of paper gingerly in her hands, seeing to study the very paper itself before handing it back. With a smile, she finally replied that the apartment we were looking for was indeed just a couple blocks away. Bowing politely, I thanked the lady for her help and turned back to my brother with a mellow smile. “I found it!”

                Having one of those annoyed looks that he always gave me, he grinned at me and replied, “Well then show me the way you little smartass.”

                I didn’t say anything and just started to walk ahead, stupid men why do they have to be so stubborn?

                As we reached the apartment complex we stood in awe, just staring at it. The building was huge, even the walls were decorated with elaborate fixtures, and statues of gargoyles peeking over the balconies and watching people pass by. All of a sudden, I felt myself being forced into the concrete. My mind registered the initial pain of the back of my head colliding with the ground, and cries of the person who presumably caused the incident. My head was in so much pain, I didn’t realize that this strange individual was actually shouting my own name until a few seconds after she had started to strangle me with two tight arms and a wet face. “Eun Mi-ah, what are you doing?”

                “Oh my gosh, Maiko, I’m so happy to see you!” She said while finally allowing me out of her grasp.

                “Why are you in such a rush right now? I told you that Ryuu and I could find our way here.”

                “Yeah, but it’s been almost three hours since you last called or anything. I got worried and came to find you myself.”

                “Well, I guess you found us then. . .”

                “Yeah, now let’s go inside my apartment. “

                Eun Mi’s apartment matched the outside of the complex with its flamboyant and elegant style. Just like her, whenever she is in this type of mood. The living room was a nice size, with a large so, love seat and easy chair that looked a lot more comfortable than our beds at the hotel. “Please take a seat!” It was a welcome invite after a few seconds of awkwardly looking around. She disappeared from our sight and moments later came back with three cups of tea. “So, where are you all staying?”

                Ryuu gave a nervous glance my way before answering, “We’re staying at a hotel for now. After tonight though, I’m going to stay with a . . . friend.”

                Eun Mi gives Ryuu her coldest glare before switching back to address me, “So, where are you staying after tonight, since the teme over here thinks it’s a good idea to leave you without a place to stay and all.”

                She said it with a kind, sweet tone, but her eyes were shooting daggers across the room towards my brother who suddenly looked extremely uncomfortable with the current situation. Even though her current anger wasn’t directed at me for now, I felt the same as Ryuu. The tension in the room was so thick; you really could have cut it with a knife. “Well, I actually don’t have anyone to stay with at the moment, so I had planned on just staying in the hotel. At least until I could find an apartment somewhere.”

                The pillow she was holding groaned under the pressure as her grin lessened in a full on scowl. “You were just going to let her live in the hotel? Really, is that what it is?”

                Being the good little sister I am, I attempted to save my elder brother from Eun Mi’s wrath. Yes, this is Eun Mi’s real personality. “Ne, Eun Mi-ah, its fine, really, I can handle it on my own, really!”

                She put the pillow to her side and placed her hands in her lap and sighed, “Although I don’t believe that, I understand that you need your independence. But still, at least stay here with me!”

                I bit my lip, “I don’t-“

                “You’re started college here, right? It would be easier to live with me then. You need your money for textbooks and such, and if you live with me then you won’t have to worry about paying rent or food costs or anything like that.”

                “I couldn’t do that, it would be-“

                “Yes, you can,” Ryuu butted in, “You can’t stay at that hotel forever, Maiko.”

                “Ah, fine. . .” I gave in, “But only because I know you won’t take no for an answer at this point.” And it was settled just like that.

__________________________________

big-bang_love Wooooo~ first update go us

Obata    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL~!!!

Big-bang_love   Whoa EN VIVO!!!!!  just kidding hoped you liked it. ^-^

Obata: Really? You're seriously still not over that? Whatever. . .  -_-''''' But yeah, new chapter!! YAYZ~!!!!

Big-bang_love: Nope, XD wish us luck! now to rewrite the second chapter all over again! Stupd computer

Obata: NUUU!!! NU BREAK!! UMMA, I WANT ICECREAM~!!!!

Big-bang_love: NOOOOOO IM THE CHILD REMEMBER?!

Obata:Oh, right. . .Well, I still want icecream. Could we make some by gathering some of the snow outside and pouring cream in it? 0o0

Big-bang_love: No that's nasty now bye-bye people :D 

Obata: sad face :(