chapter 6 | exposed by a nickname 

exulansis | nct ten.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[ CHAPTER 6 | Exposed By a Nickname ]

 

It took Ten four times to contact Johnny before someone finally picked up. He then remembered NCT 127 had a schedule that day, although he was quite sure nothing's really going on at 7 o'clock in the morning when they're only guesting on a radio show in the afternoon. He couldn't contain his excitement at the thought of seeing a beach and surfing once again, and every time he would like to rant and blabber about something, it is usually Johnny who would tolerantly listen to him. Although a part of him felt guilty for even calling his friend, knowing that the older male would've wanted to have this kind of vacation as well but due to the nature of his work and with 127 now currently promoting, he couldn't do so.

"Hello?" A baritone voice greeted Ten.

"Wait, who's this?" He immediately knew the voice didn't belong to Johnny, although he already had an idea who it was.

"Ah— Ten hyung it's me Jaehyun."

"Oh Jaehyun! Why is hyung's phone with you?"

"He's getting his hair fixed. He told me to look after his phone for him."

"Ah I see..." Ten's bubble deflated a bit but then he remembered that the younger boy had been an all ears to him as well when he used to rant about his past activities in Thailand before he got into SM. It's been a while since he was able to share some stories with him, and for a moment he felt quite nostalgic thinking of how they used to be so much closer before Jaehyun debuted under a unit he wasn't included in.

"What's up hyung?"

"Oh! I just wanted to tell Johnny about my next destination but then I guess I just have to call later." He chuckled.

"Oh I'm curious! You can tell me if you don't mind."

"Really?" Ten smiled to himself. "Well then, okay!"

Ten proceeded on blabbering about his trip without a break, starting when he made two new friends and how Joon and Emma finally got together. He then talked about the rest house they were about visit a few hours from now, which according to Joon has an exclusive beach nearby with fine white sand, and pretty, cozy restaurants surrounding the area serving good local food. It is not as if beaches are rare in Thailand—in fact they already have tons of them back in his hometown, he thought. The only issue he had been worrying about was regarding privacy, a luxury he would most probably be deprived of if he chose to book for a domestic trip. He's fully aware of how much he and his group have gained popularity for the past years, and as much as he's grateful for it, it can get pretty uncomfortable to be watched by people with every breath and move you take. For once he wanted to relax in peace without worrying about the paparazzi, and the thought of exploring a different country made Joon's invitation even more appealing to him.

"Do you think it'll be okay if I won't wear a rash guard? I just realized it doesn't really go well with the color of my shorts."

Jaehyun wheezed. "Why what's the color of your swimming trunks?"

"Blue."

"Your rash guard?"

"The chest part is black but the sleeves are yellow. Bright yellow."

"Hey it's not that bad. You would look just like Dory from Finding Nemo." Jaehyun laughed.

"Hey!" Ten protested. "I'm sorry okay? I packed my stuff last minute and just grabbed the first pair I saw in my luggage. I have another shorts with me but I just realized now the garter is ruined."

"Don't wear shorts then."

"What."

"I was kidding!" Even if Ten couldn't see the younger boy he knew the other was smiling so much his dimples were poking out of his cheeks.

"Anyways what's wrong with going shirtless? Didn't you mention the place is quite exclusive? You can practically go if you want no one would care."

"Joon's girlfriend would be there smartass." He laughed. "But to answer your question I'm worried I'd get burnt. I don't intend to get a tan you know. You especially know how we should strictly look after our appearance."

"Right. to be an idol sometimes."

Ten snorted. "Sometimes." He took a sip of his coffee before he strode towards the window.

"Hey. You mentioned about another friend right?"

The older boy hummed in affirmation as he shoved the curtains to the side, allowing the bright morning light to penetrate through the glass windows to bring some illumination in the gloomy hotel room. Ten felt happy the weather was sunny, just according to how he wished that day would be.

"You didn't say much about her. How is she? Is she the same age as you? Is she pretty?" There was an underlying tone of playfulness in Jaehyun's voice that rather suggested he wasn't just merely curious of the girl. He knew the younger was starting to , and for a moment he just wished Jaehyun was there to see her for himself. It's not that he dreaded talking about her, but the thought of having to describe a girl made him feel like he really wouldn't be able to give justice with how she really is in person.

"She is pretty, in fact. Does that satisfy your curiosity?" Ten grinned. "Although I unfortunately I don't know how old she is but I feel like she's younger? I wish I could let you meet her, Emma and Joon they're really great company."

"What's her name?"

"Emma's friend? Tarin."

"Well, do you like her?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't I? She's really nice."

From the other side of the line, Ten heard Jaehyun breathe out an exasperated sigh. "I mean, as a potential girlfriend kind of like."

"I knew you'd say that." He shook his head "I only knew her for about 4 days Jaehyun."

"A lot can happen in 4 days you know. When will you ever let your love life bloom hyung?"

"Oh shut up you know I can't fall in love." A groan escaped his throat, given with a fact that it wasn't only Jaehyun who encouraged him to meet girls and at least have a fling. "It's better if I don't genuinely feel any fondness for someone especially during this time. At least I won't have to force myself to suppress my feelings for the sake of protecting my image and at the same time, whoever it is I'll be involved with."

"Does she know you?" This time, Jaehyun sounded serious.

It took Ten a moment to realize who he was pertaining to, and the moment he realized who, Ten felt his heart constrict. He hadn't thought about it in awhile.

"I-I don't know. They never saw my entire face, Joon is the only one aware I'm an idol."

"That's good then. But how long can you keep your identity hidden from them?"

"If one or the both of them somehow have background knowledge with our field of work, our company for example, well I guess... there's not much time left before they figure out who I am."

 

 

 

"Dear, can you do me a favor? Can you please hand me those antibiotics from the top most shelf?"

"Ah— sure Ma'am." Tarin dropped the printed cases of patients on the counter before she approached the bulky metal shelf. She strained to reach for the bottles situated at the top layer of the shelf, and she had to fight the strong urge to remind the head nurse she wasn't gifted with so much height. It was 8 am in the morning and the staffs in the hospital were already circling around attending to different patients, answering inquiries from walk-in visitors and doctors doing rounds with interns like her so they could grow accustomed to one of the aspects of clinical practice.

By some miracle she was able to reach for the tray of antibiotics and politely handed them over to the head nurse, who in return smiled and muttered a sweet 'thank you' to her.

Tarin felt lifeless after Emma's party ended late last night, the lack of sleep was clearly manifesting on how frequent she had been yawning for the past hour. A frown then formed on her lips when she remembered that Emma's now bound to travel with Joon and Eleven, and it tortured her to feel frustrated, envious and lonely all at once. If only she could catch up after today's shift is over, but tomorrow requires her presence in the hospital as well.

Her stomach growled and it was only then when she remembered she skipped the most important meal of the day, and so she excused herself from the doctor supervising them after they visited the last patient. She thought of visiting the canteen for a while to grab something she could quickly eat.

After paying for a sandwich and a bottle of apple juice, she settled on one of the tables and started eating, and at that point she felt she co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter