chapter 4 | keep him company

exulansis | nct ten.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was torn whether to stick using 3rd POV or 1st POV before I started publishing chapters for this fic but I thought hey why not just switch from time to time if I feel like it would fit the scene better so I'll just specify it using whoever's POV it is so yah hehe ❤️

School has been extremely demanding even after our exams that's why I couldn't find time to update ;; I apologize too I sort of rushed the latter part just so that I could update something so I can feel that this is quite disappointing. But here's chapter 4 I hope you guys would still like this! I'm sorry too for all the typos and grammatical errors!
 

p/s: AN IMPORTANT NOTICE! :(

I apologize because I had to modify the years Joon and Emma knew each other since I miscalculated it and if I leave it as is it would sort of affect the plot and cause inconsistencies 😣 Emma and Joon knew each other for 6 years and not 8 years (I just changed the number in the previous chapters.) I'm sorry I hope this didn't really affect how you visualize the story ;;

 

 

[ CHAPTER 4 | Keep Him Company ]

| Tarin |

 

"How do I look Tarin?" Emma asked me, spinning around one more time while checking her reflection on the mirror. I helped her curl her hair an hour ago and I must say she's always been a stunner, and more so in the pastel blue dress she bought a few days ago.

"You're gorgeous. How are you this attractive?" My face distorted into a fake crying face.

I sobbed mentally as I wondered for the millionth time why am I not at least blessed with a fraction of her beauty. It makes me question how come I was able to survive for 4 years without the ground swallowing me whole? Like the frick, if I try my best to find my self esteem I might find it at the deepest pits of hell.

Kidding lol it's a hyperbole but yep, error 404 self esteem not found. It's hilarious how my most favorite person in the world after my mother, father and grandparents could even pass more as a girl than me.

But who am I kidding, that boy isn't even human. If I have never seen an angel before then now I could say I did.  He's almost literally a living sunshine even the sun got blind from how bright and beautiful his smiles are. I even look stupid smiling every time I would open my phone and see his beautiful, ethereal, glowing being on my home screen.

"I know thanks." She flipped her hair. "Kidding haha."

"With that sparkle in your eyes I know you think otherwise."

Emma gave out a short laugh while opening one of her cabinets, and took out a pair of sandals with 3-inch heels. It's her favorite pair, although I don't see her using it unless occasions as special as her birthday requires her to wear something that's a bit more presentable.

"You know me too well huh? I mean okay it's really not my thing to fake humbleness but you know you're the only person who's privileged to see my narcissistic side. I at least think I'm pretty."

"Woo Emma it suddenly got windy? Did you open the window?"

"Stop being so sarcastic!" She giggled and smacked my head with the back of her fist lightly.

"Hey, you know I will still love you even if your narcissism would cause signal 5 storms and bring strong winds." I snickered but changed the subject before she could strangle me with the straps of her sandals. "Anyways! How many are they coming here again?"

She blinked at me then considered the thought. "Um, twelve? Including Joon and Eleven."

Wooop wooop?

My heart leaped at the mention of Eleven's name. What the fruit heart stop. It's just a number, the half of my brain whispered. A cute number, the other half responded. "Ohh, quite a lot but technically not really."

My eyes grazed at the clock above Emma's bed to check the time which has struck to six twenty, and that's the time I noticed it was already dark outside. Emma's friends are arriving anytime soon, and the familiar but never friendly feeling of anxiety started to gnaw at my intestines I would've puked if I was my younger self, less confident and more timid. Not that I really did throw up before due to social anxiety, but it's a possibility that I've considered as a consequence of feeling too tensed inside. Although I know this feeling doesn't really last; it usually just happens during the anticipation phase thinking that I'm about to meet people I do not know. For a moment though I felt thankful Joon and Eleven would be there. At least I'd be able to see familiar faces.

Yesterday was beyond what I expected. I never thought I could manage hanging out alone with boys without feeling awkward, much less with strangers and foreigners who are of almost same age as me. You know how teenagers tend to feel this tension whenever they'd meet another teenager across an aisle in a grocery? Yep, that kind of feeling, even if I have already graduated from being a teen a few years ago. Although I was glad it was only at first, because thank God I actually clicked with them.

Though nothing much happened when we went out; we just slurped on our cold drinks and ate a slice of cake for about 45 minutes as we engaged into a light conversation. I figured both of them were born on the same year as Emma when Eleven talked about Joon's 23rd Birthday last May, which meant that they're both older than me. When I was asked if I could suggest any other gift for Emma that she'd like, I told Joon about the nearby flower shop on the same street and added that Emma's fond of tulips.

Everything seemed like it was smooth sailing, but if there was anything that made me anxious, it would be having to sit across Eleven in the cafe's booth.

I tried my best to keep an eye contact with him when he asked if I'm still studying but I couldn't maintain it for more than 2 seconds. Fruity pop, I probably seemed like I have ADHD. I knew that time heat was creeping up my face because seriously, I really have to admit, his eyes are really pretty. And being under his gaze made me feel like he could see through me. And see my whirlwind of thoughts that included him.

He really reminded me of Ten, but I didn't want him to think I was getting fond of him when I have someone else in mind.

I must say though they have a lot in common it scared me. I remembered staring at his ears to check if he has the same number of piercings as Ten (or if he even has piercings at all), and I almost cursed when I noticed that he does have piercings, though he only had a pair of black stud earrings on.

But it's impossible though. Ten can't be here. There's nothing to see in the city, and despite being outdated I was at least aware that they do not have a scheduled concert or fanmeet in my country. Unless he's traveling by himself? But this boy could be just someone who resembles him.

I felt like I was convincing myself more, but I knew I wouldn't be able to diminish all my delusions until I see his whole face.

Why did I even forget to ask why he's wearing a mask?

"They're here!" I heard Emma's squeal across the room, which disrupted my trail of thoughts. I heard the roar of car engines die down and doors slammed shut, followed by faint murmurs and car lock alarms.

Excitement bloomed inside my chest suddenly, and I smoothed down my dress before following Emma outside the room. I'm suddenly reminded of how empty the place is with the absence of Emma's parents, since they're away for a business trip. Although from what I know, this party has been approved by them. It was a relief Emma isn't the type to throw a party without her parents' consent. She's an only child too, which is why

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter