Chapter One

My Little Lady

 Having just awoken, her sleep long but not as nice, Kyulkyung felt a sense of surreal rushing through her, her breath heavy and rigid. The dream wouldn’t stop, everytime she closes her eyes, it comes back haunting her in her mind. Once she closes her eyelids, the beautiful memories she once shared with her re-appeared, and it drives Kyulkyung mad.

 

 The clock ticked close to 7, Kyulkyung had slept throughout the entire morning after coming home from school. She raised her hand up to comb through her mane and dragged herself to the bathroom.

 

 Kyulkyung gave herself a short wash up before strolling downstairs for something to eat. Having consumed nothing since morning, her belly ached slightly. As soon as she opened her door, coincidentally she came eye to eye with Nayoung, her sister who had also just came out from the adjacent room. Pupils met pupils in the awkwardness Kyulkyung felt, yet, the other girl showed no particular reaction asides from the usual cold look in her eyes. She then walked away, no words exchanged between them.

 

 “...” Kyulkyung looked down, the hunger she felt disapparated, as if wiped out by the eyes of her. She felt fatigue crawling up from deep down her heart.

 

 It was out of the ordinary, usually they would cook only for themselves but today as she came downstairs, a grand meal was set right there, prepped by her very own mother.


 "Come here Kyulkyung ah"

 

 "What gives? Is it the apocalypse already?" Kyulkyung was genuinely curious. Her mom was never a cook, even if she was, it was always on special occasions only.

 

 "Kids and their sprout of nonsense, your father will be home tonight so I want to whip up something delicious for him. He has worked hard enough" she seemed to be in a very good mood, Kyulkyung usually would have gotten some scolding for saying stuffs like that.

 

 Nayoung stepped out from the kitchen with a plate of food on her hand as she helped out. The moment she saw her, the hand Kyulkyung used to reach for an extra piece of chicken immediately recoiled back.

 "Okay Nayoung, you can take a seat. We'll start eating once your father comes home. And Kyulkyung too, stop snacking already. Have some manners, elderly me here hasn't even touched the chopsticks".

 

 "Okay~"

 

 Kyulkyung wasn't really having it but in front of Nayoung, Kyulkyung automatically turned into an obedient puppy. She knew it wouldn't make anything better but by all means she did not want her image getting any worse in her sister's eyes, though as if Nayoung ever looked her way before.

 

 Kyulkyung's family contains of 4 people, tho most of them preferably live independently. A dinner like this was something rare. Her father went on business trips quite often so her mother never had the heart to cook. For the sisters, it was either instant noodles or take-outs. Family meals were something out of a fairytale book, not to mention the feud Kyulkyung had with her sister.

 

 There wasn't much to say about this meal either. Kyulkyung would stuff her face with food and had no intention to start up a conversation. She would still answer if her father asked first. Nayoung on the other hand had a lot of topics to discuss about with him. The first was about school and her future plans. It was Nayoung's senior year, there were many things needed to be talked about.

 

 Nothing would have been abnormal if it wasn't for Nayoung's abrupt proposal.

 

 "Appa, after I graduate, is it okay....if I move out?"

 

 The chopsticks in Kyulkyung's hand quietly trembled, the food in all of a sudden became hard to gulp down. It wasn't just Kyulkyung, the entire atmosphere at the dining table seemed to have dimmed down at the proposal.

 

 "Nayoung you-" their mother was going to say something but was signaled to stop by her husband. Nayoung wasn't an impulsive kid, for such an offer to be made, she must have put in a lot of thoughts for it. Nayoung had her own opinions and he wished to hear her out.

 

 "I actually just want it to be more convenient for my studies. I'm going to apply for an art school. I ought to move out then whether or not do I want to. Still, I want to ask for your opinion, appa...and omma too" in all honesty, he didn't want to let his baby girl go.

 

 "It's okay, I'll be just fine. I can't stay here forever anyway" the sentence had many implications to which they all could realize, Nayoung had long not wanted to stay here.

 

 "..."

 

 Kyulkyung knew this day was coming sooner or later. Ever since this fake relationship they had was exposed by yours truly, she had come close to lose this sister. She had wondered, Nayoung treated everyone with so much kindness. Yet she showed nothing but cruelty to Kyulkyung. What exactly did she do wrong...or was it simply because she was the child of the other woman. The woman Nayoung always calls as "mom" but deep inside has nothing but hatred for.

 

 Kyulkyung abruptly stood up, causing the chair to scoot backward. It made a loud noise, which Kyulkyung did on purpose and then she left for her room without a single word.

 

 "Kyulkyung! Where are you going?!" her mother called after her

 

 "I'm full"

 

 "You..." Mrs.Im shook her head as she kept her eyes on her little girl. As mature as Nayoung was, Kyulkyung was just as childish, the constancy of this worried her.
 


 Kyulkyung wanted to cry, but no tears could find their way down her face. All emotions huddled at once into her heart, making it hard for her to even breathe.

 

 The most painful thing wasn't leaving someone, it was forcing yourself to forget all the memories, all the habits that were engraved in your mind as well as your heart.

 

 Forgetting Im Nayoung, Kyulkyung too had forgotten herself.