Dalgona Coffee (MoonSun)

Moo Stories

 

They said it was a trend. They said it was delicious. They said it was worth the work.

 

Then, why the hell am I still whipping this damn coffee?!

 

It has been already twenty minutes and I’m still whisking like an idiot. My arm feels like it’s about to fall off and my coffee looks like diarrhoea. I would have given up if my personality wasn’t the type. And honestly, with all this isolation, what else could I do. I glance at the camera, smiling. At least it was good YouTube content too. Although I don’t know how much I can use if the video just had me frowning and cursing under my breath. Maybe I’ll just shoot another cooking tutorial and one that didn’t evolve something that looked like poop.

 

Suddenly, my phone rings. It’s Byulyi, video calling me.

 

Screw it. I turn off the camera and answer the phone. Immediately Byulyi’s bare face is on my screen, her cap hiding her unwashed hair.

 

“My Yongsunnie~” she coos. Normally her teasing sing-song voice would irritate me, but I’m even missing her bullying.

 

Boredom must really be getting to me.

 

“What do you want Byulyi?” I ask, even though I want her to keep talking to me. She calls me nearly every day but it’s different from being next to her. She’s not there to poke my cheeks or make fun of my non-fatty fat arms.

 

“I just wanted to see how you are. What are you doing now?”

 

“Working on my next video.” I tell her, showing her my attempt of the Dalgona coffee.

 

Suddenly, I hear her absurd laugh.

 

“That looks my poop.” Byulyi voices my exact concerns.

 

“It’s not!” I retort. “It’s coffee! And I’m not done yet.”

 

“How can your weak arms handle all that whipping?”

 

“I’m not weak! I’m strong.”

 

“Of course you are.” Byulyi teased.

 

I roll my eyes. Even if I missed her, she still as annoying as ever.

 

“So, what are you doing?” I ask.

 

“Seulgi and I are thinking of taking the dogs out for a walk. It’s really nice weather today.”

 

My heart drops slightly.

 

“So why are you calling me?” I ask, not meaning to sound snappy. I know I shouldn’t be jealous, but I am. It makes me even lonelier to know that Byulyi had company that wasn’t me.

 

Byulyi is quiet for a moment. She always knows when I’m genuinely irritated. She’s pissed me off enough times to distinguish my breaking point.

 

“I miss you.”

 

Her words are quiet but they strike me right in the ears. Byulyi and I don’t often share affectionate exchanges, more often fooling around. However, sometimes it made me wonder if she even liked me. Sure, she was always the first person I thought of if I was doing something or going somewhere, but Byulyi had so many other options. It made me wonder if her feelings matched mine.

 

Yet, Byulyi often surprises me. Either be it her surprise events, or her sudden casual gifts, or her thoughtful words of encouragement. When her acts of love appear, they make everything in my life seem brighter than ever. They even my most heavy thoughts become light like whipped coffee.

 

“I miss you too.” I reply to her tiny image. She smiles and it makes me smile too.

 

“I love you.” I can’t help but say. If only I could be with her, hugging her, kissing her. Just holding hands would satisfy me.

 

But Byulyi’s cheeky smile will have to do. Until all this is over.

 

All of a sudden, there’s some barking and noise coming from Byulyi’s home. She turns behind her and I see her wave at someone. Then, the barking disappears and the room is silent again. Even over the phone we can’t be alone together.

 

“I’m sorry Unnie, I’ll have to go now.”

 

I force my lips to form a smile. “Of course, I don’t want to keep you. I’ll speak to you later.”

 

Byulyi nods. “Later.”

 

She waves at her phone camera and before I can savour her lovely face, Byulyi is gone. My phone is back to my lock screen – a picture of me and Byulyi, smooshing our cheeks together. My chest niggles. It’s uncomfortable and suffocating. I glance at the messy mixing bowl and sigh. I’m in no mood for any filming.

 

I miss Byulyi but it’s not the cause of the discomfort. Mainly it’s because one thing.

 

Byulyi didn’t say she loved me back.

 

However, I can’t linger on it too much. My door suddenly chimes and I check the camera. To my surprise, it’s a delivery man, but I don’t remember ordering anything.

 

“Yes?” I answer over the door phone.

 

“Kim Yongsun?”

 

“That’s me.”

 

“Okay, I’ll leave the package outside.”

 

Just as sudden as he appeared, the delivery and disappears. I give it a moment, cautious especially after what Hyejin went through. I finally open the door and see the massive box. I really don’t know what it is but when I read the address label, I immediately recognise the handwriting.

 

Carrying the heavy box inside, I cut the tape open. Inside the cardboard box, it a small postcard. On one side it a picture of a very cute corgi, and on the other side is a simple note.

 

I love you too. MB xxx

 

No words can describe the joy I feel from those four words. I want to call Byulyi immediately, but I’m sure she’s on her walk now. Instead, I’ll send her a photo later for her enjoyment.

 

Without hesitation, I take out the gift.

 

It is an electric mixer.

 


A/N:

Just a quick MoonSun story because I am bored and feel like I should be more productive in my free time. I also have nothing against Dalgona coffee, it looks delicious and very Instagram worthy, but I haven't done it myself. Seems like an awful lot of work to drink coffee XD 

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy and stay safe!