Paranoia

The Real Me

Caution.

Secrets.

Hesitance.

 

Bong Hee was scared. Ever since Anna visited Ji Wook, there was always that big elephant in the room that they both tried to ignore. He still acted the same, treating her like she's not a person capable of noticing any difference in his aura. Did he actually believe that she'll never notice as long as he doesn't say anything?

 

She tried ignoring it, that anxiety everyday. She was waiting for him to tell her and explain with his own mouth who Anna was and if they got back together again. Was he preparing to tell her the news slowly? That they had to stop this faux lovers situation that they've been having the past few months?

 

There were calls in his cellphone recently that he had to excuse himself from her. He never did that. He had no reason to. He would always answer calls in front of her since they were all work related anyway.

 

"I'm glad you listened to me, you're doing really fine. It's okay, you can call."

 

She couldn't help but eavesdrop during one of his conversation. It was obvious that he was talking to Anna.

 

The calls were coming in frequently and she thought she would go mental with paranoia. She made mistakes and often got scolded by the Associate Justice, she couldn't sleep properly, she had no appetite to eat; even her favorite double portion jajangmyeon was not appetizing to her anymore. She was suffering but she didn't make it obvious, he doesn't even notice anyway; being too busy with his phone calls.

 

She hated this. Why was she acting like a wife with a cheating husband? Why did she have to be so afraid that she might lose him the moment she asks?

 

Bong Hee couldn't take it anymore.

 

"Prosecutor No." she got his attention as they were eating dinner. She barely ate anything on her plate.

 

"Hm?"

 

"Who's Anna?"

 

The question made him stop, his hand holding the chopstick freezing in mid-air as he reached for kimchi. "What?"

 

She didn't respond, straightening up her sitting form as if to show that she was strong and she demanded answers when in fact, she was having a meltdown inside.

 

He settled down his chopsticks and cleared his throat. "She's my past girlfriend."

 

The silence was deafening. Their eyes were locked into each other, one wavering and the other one hesitant. She could see the conflict in his eyes as he bit his lips as if he was contemplating on what to say. She waited for him to say something more but when he resumed eating, she knew he wouldn't elaborate further until she asked.

 

"So are you back together?" she willed her voice to come out.

 

"No." his quick answer didn't bring her relief as she expected. They weren't back together but they were in constant contact. So what then?

 

"I see."

 

It was the shortest conversation they had and the one she hated the most.

 

He didn't even try to explain anything.

 

.

 

Ji Wook was running.

 

He ran as fast as he could but he seemed to be stuck in the ground, not getting any closer to her. She was being dragged away by men who were in military uniforms.

 

A gunshot. Tears. He screams.

 

Then another girl appeared, one with wings in her back. He was walking in front of her as if to protect her from something, then he hears shuffling behind him and sees her getting taken away as her screams were muffled by a hand.

 

He gets his pistol but he couldn't shoot. He yells in frustration, willing his fingers to move and press the trigger but his hands only trembled as he watches her vanish into the dark.

 

"Goodbye, K2" her voice rings in his ears.

 

Then another voice from his back, hugging him. "Prosecutor No!" He turns to her, a sweet smile welcomes him and he feels relieved, he hugs her back.

 

"You should know your limits. Can you really give her a normal life?" an older woman's voice comes in his earpiece and it hurts his ears. He takes it off and throws it away.

 

The girl in his arms suddenly feels heavy, he supports her weight and pulls slightly away, wanting to read her face. The smile was gone, she has her eyes shut in pain and she leans heavily on him, losing consciousness. He sees his hands on her back full of crimson liquid and he was holding a knife. He quickly threw it away in horror.

 

Blood.

 

So much blood.

 

He screams.

.

 

"--or No."

 

"----secutor No!"

 

He woke up with a jolt, hurriedly sitting up on the ottoman sofa and he strived to breathe as if there was something stuck in his throat. He slightly noticed how sweaty he was.

 

"Prosecutor No are you okay? I could hear you groaning from all the way downsta--" she gasped as he suddenly pulls her to him, a hand her neck while the other helds her tight in the shoulder. He was breathing hard and she could feel his racing heartbeat.

 

"Bong Hee-yah." he held her tighter. "Bong Hee...you're okay right? You're safe right?" he stutters the words, still confused and scared.

 

"Why? Did i die in your dream or something?"

 

"I-I don't know.....i can't remember..." he swallowed with his dry throat, his eyes wet from unshed tears. He couldn't calm his heartbeat. He just wanted her by his side, his whole being desperate for her assurance. Someone definitely died in his dreams but he shook his head in an attempt to banish the thought.

 

Bong Hee hugged him back, she could feel him trembling. He had mentioned sometime ago that the reason for his insomnia was his nightmares; memories from his past that haunted him. He never answered her when she questioned his past.

 

"I'm okay, I'm here. I'll always be here." she whispered the utmost truth in her words. Yes, she would always be there for him as long as he needed her, even if she suffered. It was a curse. She had always given everything when she falls in love.

 

He finally went back to sleep while spooning her in the ottoman sofa. She stared at their clasped fingers and stayed awake the whole night, her tears silently falling without her knowing. Their relationship was unclear, but she would take anything rather than nothing.

 

.

 

Bong Hee thought everything would be back to normal the next day. It was the last day of her internship with the Associate Justice and then she'll be going back to school for a few months before being transfered to an attorney for her last intern.

 

She went home happy, finally freeing herself from the grumpy judge who wasn't satisfied of her performance during the last few days. She couldn't blame him for her mess.

 

Ji Wook was already home preparing their dinner when she arrived. "You're here." he smiled at her. "Go change so we can start eating."

 

She happily nodded and did as he told. He seemed cheerful today as if the situation last night didn't happen at all and she preferred it that way. It's been a while since they returned to normalcy.

 

"Congratulations on finishing up your internship with the Associate Justice." he reached out to pat her head when she sat in front of the table and she giggled.

 

"Thanks Prosecutor No."

 

"I told you many times not to call me that anymore." he peered at her in mock annoyance.

 

She laughed and set her chopsticks at the table. "What? Then should i call you 'oppa'?"

 

The sides of his mouth twitched upwards.

 

"O-ppaaaa." she clasped her hands on her shoulders and tilted her head to the side as she pronounced the endearment with aegyo.

 

They both ended up laughing hard and she felt her chest lighten again after these past few days. It was nice being this carefree with him again.

 

The ringing of his cellphone intruded their moment and she found herself frowning again when he excused himself after seeing the caller ID. It must be her again.

 

"I'm sorry Bong Hee-yah, i'll be gone for a short while but i promise i'll be back soon." he informed her after hanging up the call.

 

"Where are you going?"

 

"i just have to be somewhere real quick. Don't worry and go to sleep after washing the dishes, i know you're tired." he gives her shoulder a reassuring grip and made a move to go out after getting his car keys.

 

Bong Hee couldn't stop herself. Abandoning the last of her self-restraint, she quickly stands up and holds his arm, making him stop and turn to her.

 

"Don't go."

 

Her plea was strong, willing him to see the hurt in her eyes. "Jaebal."

 

"Bong He--"

 

"It's Anna isn't it?"

 

He blinks in surprise but refused to answer her question. The air suddenly felt cold for her and she briefly wonders if he could hear her heart hammering beneath her ribcage. Please. She begs him with her eyes. She didn't care if she looked so desperate at the moment.

 

After a long silence, he gently starts to remove her fingers from his arm and hugs her.

 

"I'll tell you everything later Bong Hee-yah. I'll be back." she ignores the assurance and promise in his voice and could only stare at nothing when he finally went out of the door.

 

.

 

8:00 PM

 

She just finished washing the dishes, although it caused the death of one of the plates when she accidentally broke it. Being absentminded while dishwashing wasn't really a good idea after all.

 

10:00 PM

 

She trudges over and over in the living room, biting her nails in anxiety. Different scenarios were playing like a slideshow on her mind, were they together at some pocha while drinking their hearts out? Did that girl invite him over to her house and they were alone? Did Ji Wook forget she was waiting for him? Ah, right, he told her not to wait and go to sleep first.

 

11:30 PM

 

He was way too late. Something definitely happened between the two. Tears suddenly burned her eyes and she scolds herself, wiping away the tears so furiously that her contacts fell off. She closes her eyes in frustration and went to her room to put it on again.

 

She was anxious. Very anxious. Why didn't she just ask him directly about their situation? Why didn't she just tell him that she was hurting? That she was jealous? That she longed for him? Why didn't she just tell him that she loved him?

 

Was she already too late?

 

The sound of a car engine being turned off made her run towards the door so quickly that she nearly slipped. She goes outside the gate and the moment she sees him, she felt relief wash over her like an ocean wave. He was walking with his shoulders hunched, like he was suddenly so tired of everything; but Bong Hee could only focus on that fact that he was back.

 

Ji Wook was finally back.

 

Before she knew it, her legs started moving on their own and she found herself running fast towards him, her hands flying to his back as she met him in a hug.

 

He stood rigid, his stance suddenly tense.

 

"I thought you wouldn't come home."

 

She tried so hard to stop herself and to wait for him to come to her, but the fear was crashing heavily on her at the moment and she couldn't wait anymore. She has to tell him right now before everything becomes too late.

 

"I.......love you Prosecutor No."

 

Her voice wavered as her eyes started b with tears.

 

"i love you."