Moments

The Real Me

Bong Hee was nearing the end of her intern for him but he wasn't really bothered, he sees her all day and night anyways.

 

"We should celebrate! Also because you're no longer limping!" Mr. Bang suggested with a smile, clapping his hands excitedly. "I know this new place that isn't really crowded so it's good."

 

"We should!" Bong Hee responded with equal enthusiasm and the female assistant nodded with a smile as well.

 

"Right, then you're all gonna get wasted and won't be able to do any proper work tomorrow." Ji Wook rains on their parade and peers under his glasses.

 

They all bit their lip and Bong Hee couldn't help but pout. "Prosecutor-nim, it's not as if we do it everyday and we all rarely go out together!" she added in a whisper. "Cause someone's a bit too workaholic."

 

"I can hear you."

 

She quickly straightened up and went back to her desk sluggishly; her back hunched in sadness. Mr. Bang threw him a judging look. Ji Wook took off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose as he sighed in resignation.

 

"Ok fine."

 

They cheered and raised their hands in celebration; it wasn't everyday that the prosecutor gave in to their wishes after all.

 

.

 

"Kampai!!!" Bong Hee and Mr. Bang's boisterous voices seemed to fill the room as their glasses clinked in contact. Ji Wook could only grimace as they finished their soju bombs in one go.

 

The place was somewhere hidden in an alley so not much customers come in, but the ambiance and food was good. Ji Wook took note of the address just in case he needed to drink somewhere nice and private in the future.

 

"Whoo!!!" she wipes with the back of her hand and gotten herself a spoon. "Since i'm so happy today, i'll sing you guys a song!"

 

Mr. Bang and the assistant clapped their hands in support while she proceeded to stand and clear in preparation for her stage; she held her spoon in substitute for a microphone.

 

"Fill me with your love,
My love's battery seems to be out of juice,
I can't live without you, i really can't live without you,
You are my battery~~"

 

Ji Wook coughed up his laugh, amused at her singing. She was feeling the song, bouncing in her place like an ahjumma in her attempt to dance at the trot song. She wasn't really a good singer but her enthusiasm was infectious.

 

Mr. Bang smiled through, he had heard enough tone-deaf singers in his lifetime from police to fellow detectives before and even suspects to the point that her singing didn't really surprise him. He glances at the prosecutor and notices how he bit his lip in a held back laugh.

 

"She's very amusing isn't she, Prosecutor No?" he leans in to whisper. "I guess we'll be the only ones missing her bright personality everyday given that you can still experience it in your home." he quickly throws a wink and turns away, avoiding his incredulous look.

 

Ji Wook could only clear his throat and attempted to regain a straight face. It was the hardest challenge he had in a while.

 

.

 

A sigh escaped his lips as he parked the car ouside his gates. It was as if he was having deja vu with a very drunk Bong Hee sleeping in his car again. He decided to just carry her in his arms as she was too drunk to complain anyway.

 

He opens the door to her room and sets her in the bed, heaving a sigh of relief as he straightened his back. Of all the limited amount of women he had carried in his arms, she was the heaviest, and the most drunkard to add.

 

"What kind of woman drinks so much?" he asks the air and places his hands on his waist as he looked at her sleeping form.

 

He didn't know what made him stay but he ended up staring at her; her face already a familiar one in his home. Sitting at the edge of her bed, he observed her unique beauty despite the messy hair that sat atop her head. Memories of their teasing entered his mind without warning and he let out an amused smile. Before he knew it, his hands were reaching out to tuck away a stray hair that covered her eye; it was obscuring his view.

 

Before his fingers could even make contact, she groaned and turned away from him, unconsciously looking for the most comfortable position to sleep in. The action pulled him out of his thoughts and he quickly stood up, shaking his head as if to clear up his mind.

 

I must've had too much alcohol.

 

He goes out of her room and goes to the kitchen, grabbing a glass and filling it with water to quench his dry throat.

 

It was no time to be mesmerized by a girl.

 

.

 

Months passed and Bong Hee had her next internship with an Associate Justice. Good thing the offices were all in the same huge building and she sometimes visits Ji Wook's office to talk animatedly with Mr. Bang. The prosecutor strangely didn't complain with her constant appearances in his office, even though they were boisterous at times.

 

In fact, Ji Wook would often eat with her at the cafeteria, ultimately shocking the other lawyers and prosecutors as he would laugh and smile sarcastically as he and she would pout in mock anger. Ji Wook's reputation as a robot prosecutor who showed no other expression other than a serious one was quickly blown away and their dating rumors were confirmed to be true without them knowing, not that it bothered them in the first place.

 

They actually had fun riding on the ridiculous rumors, well on Bong Hee's part at least; she liked displaying overreactive gestures of affection to Ji Wook whenever they bump into Hee Joon, her ex-boyfriend. Ji Wook would look at her with a frown but never pushed her away.

 

Grocery shopping was Bong Hee's personal favorite activity with Ji Wook though.

 

"i want bimbimbap tonight!"

 

"You've gotten really cheeky lately." he smirks at her and grabs some vegetables.

 

"These carrots looks good." she grabs a pair and was about to put it in their push cart when he suddenly blocked her.

 

"No." he grabs it and places it back in the vegetable section. "i hate carrots." he steps away and pushes the cart in a hurry to avoid her.

 

She laughs amusedly and catches up to him, sneering at him sideways. "Really?!"

 

"I despise it."

 

"But what's a bimbimbap without carrots?"

 

"i'll just add more eggs."

 

Bong Hee cackles, wheezing in laughter as she held her stomach. Prosecutor No was so childish sometimes. The revelation made her smile, she was learning a lot about him the few months they've been together and he was actually such a nice housemate. He took care of her, fed her, and even continued to teach her even though she was already an intern to someone else.

 

Mr. Bang had whispered to her sometime that she was the first person who ever invaded his personal space and she seems to be special. She had been over the moon the whole day.

 

As usual, she prepares the utensils while he cooks their food. They had fallen so naturally into their routine, buying groceries together, him cooking their food, her preparing the utensils and washing the dishes, going to the self-service laundromat to wash clothes and sometimes even sharing toiletries when she runs out of toothpaste or soap.

 

She likes this. She really likes this. And sometimes, she briefly wonders if this could go on for a long time.

 

They ate their dinner with casual conversations and stories of her internship. She mentioned how the associate justice would sometimes ask her to buy things for him outside of work and although it didn't really bother her, Ji Wook had furrowed his eyebrows in disapproval, barking how she should be her shameless self and complain against her new mentor. She had secretly smiled.

 

When she wore the kitchen gloves to start washing the dishes, his sudden presence beside her was a shock. He started wearing another pair of gloves and grabbed the sponge.

 

"Prosecutor No! Please just rest and let me do this, you cooked all by yourself after all."

 

"It's okay." he smiles at her and picks up a plate, rubbing the dishwashing soap all over it.

 

When she stretched out a hand to receive the plate that he just rubbed with soap, her fingers brushed with his and although she was wearing gloves, she was suddenly very sensitive to his touch and her hairs pricked; goosebumps all over her arms. She quickly straightened her face and grabbed the plate, letting the running water into her hands to wash off the soap.

 

Was it just her? Or was Ji Wook glancing at her from time to time while showing that irritatingly handsome smile?

 

She cleared and decided to speak to break off the silence. "Uhh...now that i think about it, with just the two of us in this house, it's really......quite and feels a bit empty right?" she hoped her voice didn't reflect the internal war going on inside her chest.

 

"i don't know." he places a hand in the counter and leans towards her. "i like that it's quiet." his melting gaze and deep voice was too much for her at the moment.

 

"Please don't look at me like that." she points at his offending eyes.

 

"Hmm?" he raises his eyebrows in mock confusion and held back a smile.

 

"That....that look in your eyes. Stop seducing me!"

 

"Yah Eun Bong Hee, i'm not doing anything! I'm just looking at you, like this." he blinks and leans further towards her, his playful smile finally showing in his face.

 

His close proximity towards her was really not helping her racing heart so she bits her lip and playfully flicks the soapy water towards him in an attempt to make him back away.

 

His responding smile was not proving to be any improvement either but she knew her smile was plastered in her face too since a while ago already. Was this guy really this  flirty? it wasn't good for her wavering heart. "Please concentrate."

 

"What? I'm totally concentrating on dishwashing." so he says as he smiles, keeping an eye on her all the while and brushing another plate. 

 

-----------------------------------------

 

NOTE: the song Bong Hee sang is a trot song called "Love Battery" by Hong Jin Young. It's a very cute and upbeat trot! O(≧▽≦)O