The Goblin's Grace

The sun rises once again

Hyuk climbed the steps towards the palace. Each step growing difficult to climb than the previous. Approaching the gates of the palace, he saw lamps lit ahead. He was anxious. It was in this place in his dreams saw Sunny bleeding to death.

‘You have come after all’ said a voice behind. Perplexed, Hyuk turned around to see at the mysterious man who had saved his life once. Blue flames emanated from his body. The man had not aged at all.

‘Who are you really? How come you have not aged at all? Are you even real?’ asked Hyuk.

‘I, Kim Shin pay the respects to the king of Goreyo, Wang yoo’ Replied the man with a sad smile on his face. Hyuk observed that the eyes of the man had pity towards him. Kim shin climbed the stairs towards Hyuk.

‘King of Goreyo?’ Bewildered Hyuk. ‘Wang yoo? the Wang yoo mentioned in the memorial stones?’ asked Hyuk.

‘I reckon you have visited the site’ replied Shin. ‘And yet It looks like you have not recovered your past life memories.’

‘Past life? What are you trying to get at? Look, I just want to know few answers. And you are the only person who I think can answer. Will you? Asked Hyuk.

‘A person you say. Am I really? Said Shin in a sarcastic tone. Well at least in this life I wanted to stay away from the two of you. Though I hoped that you two would have a happy ending in this life.

Hyuk was getting confused more and more.

Shin handed over something what looked like an old withered scroll to Hyuk. Hyuk took it without any questions and opened them. It was a portrait of a young woman in a queen’s attire. She had a beautiful face. And he could immediately see the resemblance between Sunny and the lady in the portrait.

‘It belongs to you’ said Kim shin. ‘After all you painted it. It is your portrayal of my sister, Kim sun’.

‘Kim sun was your sister? But the memorial stones look old. Wait! How old are you? Are you a ghost? Then what am I?

‘Hmmm. I am old and frozen, thanks to you, but not a ghost. I believe you have something in your pocket that would bring back your memories my beloved king. Replied Shin.

Speechless, Hyuk rummaged his pocket to find the tiny old box his father had given him. Inside he found a ring. A pale old ring which he saw in his dream. He held it up against the rising sun to examine it. Just as the light flowed through the ring, Hyuk’s memories flooded him.

His heart ached at the truth. Hyuk was once a cruel and immature king, Wang yoo, who brought up on the death of his beloved wife Kim sun and her brother Kim shin, along with many other soldiers. Unable to forgive himself, and bereft of the love of his life, he had killed himself. The most cruellest thing a human can ever do. He was sentenced to be a grim reaper for many years repaying for the sin he had committed. The man who stood in front of him was Kim Shin, who turned into a goblin when he was left dead without proper burial under Wang yoo’s orders.

Ashamed at his past, Hyuk broke down in fresh torrent of tears. His knee buckled under him and he crouched in sorrow in front of Shin. He looked up at Shin in gratitude for helping him recover his memories. He stood up to thank Shin.

Holding out his arms he asked Shin ‘Can I?’

Shin gave an unbelievable look to Hyuk ‘You think you will be safe after trying to hug me? Do not forget that I am still a goblin’ said Shin in a fighting stance.

‘How many years has it been?’ asked Hyuk

‘Around 80 since you left with my sister in her previous birth’ replied Shin.

‘and the lost soul? Did you meet her again?

Shin looked down at the question and slowly nodded a no. ‘She makes me wait in eternity to see her’ sighed Shin.

The sun that rose just minutes before had vanished behind the heavy clouds that wasn’t present till that moment.

‘Sorry’ said hyuk

‘Well there is nothing that any of us can do. All I can do is wait, just as I promised her. Anyway, I do not wish to be bothered about my sister and you in this life at least. Live happily.’

‘That I will, thanks.’ Replied and smiled Hyuk “ I will live a long and happy life with Sunny.’

In spite of their differences, Shin became his best friend when they lived together in his term as the grim reaper. Hyuk looked at the portrait that he held in his hands and at the ring.

“I do not think I will have any use for these. I ll leave them at the temple next to the stones. For the history cannot be changed, but the future can.’

Shin agreed. With a grin, the brothers hugged once and immediately pulled away not being able to stand the closeness between them. They laughed at turn of events.

‘All the best with the lost soul. I pray to god that you meet her soon’

Shin smiled and replied ‘Now go, my sister has waited three lifetimes for this day.’

Hyuk agreed with a smile and they parted in a happy note. Hyuk looked above to the gods and bowed once to thank. His guilt and love for Kim sun had given him the strength to beg the god. Now that he has been granted this life, Hyuk was not going to let go of this opportunity.

With head held high and a gait that resembled a king, Hyuk walked down towards his car, towards his destiny and towards his love, Kim sun.