(RAIN)amed

Of Blossoms and Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

0526

 

The darkness that filled Jihoon's sight wasn't the thing that made him shiver. It was the vague sense of familiarity that washed over him as he walked straight without seeing anything.

Just before he realized that this happened before and that he could predict his move only a beat before he did it,  he had already lost his sense of reality.

In just a blink of an eye, Jihoon regained his sense of sight and found himself at the basketball court of his former high school. This  wasn't  strange to him for he had been there, always watching and supporting,

-secretly.

"Jihoonie, watched how well your ------- plays," Seongwoo said, and even if his face was blurred, Jihoon was certain who he was because like this person radiated warmth that envelops and calms him down.

Even if he didn't hear the name clearly, even if Seongwoo didn't mention the name at all,

-Jihoon knew who he was talking about.

For without any reasons, his eyes would wander around, automatically looking for that person.

Then, suddenly the world was melting like a transition in a movie scene.

Shaking.

Blurring at the edges.

Jihoon couldn't distinguish up from down as he was surrounded with seemingly endless mirrors. As he faced one, there was an image that was being reflected back at him, an image of the person he was before;

-a kid who had always been looking forward in expressing his joy, grieve, sadness, himself through dancing.

In this second part of his alternative universe, there wasn't a second that he wished that his younger version wouldn't stop from dancing.  To never lose the passion and his fearlessness in spite of the ruthless future before him.

To never leave and would just stay beside him,

-inside him.

Jihoon couldn't forget the finale of this dream, the boy, him, would shiver from fear as he heard a loud voice screaming, telling him to stop his foolishness,

-to stop dancing.

He always knew what to do next, he would turn his gaze far off horizon that will appear in the next minute. His eyes would stay on the flaring hues of the sun melting into the vast area of flowers like a divine painting.

The forever stretching hill of blossoms masked with an apricot colour, that beautiful amber flowing into every petal,

-resulting to his dry crimson-coloured lips to curve upward.

A sweet, smooth, mellifluous melody flows gently through the glass like sky. The mirror-filled vision has broken into a million pieces, too thick to ever see through. Still the, wind carried a voice like music to Jihoon's ears

"Hyung."

Even at this point, Jihoon never knew how he should react to the voice. He was aware of the danger behind it, the risk of being alone again. The voice was like a promise that could never be.

Like a promise of security against the feeling of being left behind.

Every time, he would take a step closer to the person calling so tenderly. Quickly, shadow would fall and washed away the blinding sharpness of the sky.

Then comes a moment of silence.

Not a second longer, everything would shatter.

Standing, solitary, in the sweet golden glory, Jihoon stood still.

Every time, he would be reminded that he was longing for that place that never was.

Never.

Yet, always.

Alone, seemingly suspended in time, surrounded in a mist of nothingness,

-Jihoon would start to cry.

The powerful longing of the dream would always stay him, lingering, unshakeable, in the air. When he woke up, tears were still fresh his cheeks. Jihoon had been dreaming the same dereams since the rain started visiting the town.

Every night, without fail,

making it more difficult for would take several moments before it clears.

Jihoon's eyes were opened-wide, and he was able to see the diffused grey light of the  dark sky that let the light pass through into his windows. He slowly sat down, quietly thrilled at the novelty of being alone. Absorbing the silence, and empty spaces, he watched the raindrops fell heavier and more confident.

A smile grew on his face as he remembered what comes along with this kind of weather, like a bubble that would appear before him,

-the boy with the rain on his name.

He scoffed, thinking that it would make no sense to see that boy this early morning, and convinced himself that it's not going to happen.

A dangerous thought makes you believe in the impossible.

As Jihoon's mind and shoulders relax, he immediately went back to resting his head on his soft pillows and threw a blanket over himself. Jihoon was sure that this was the only thing he should be doing with the rest of the day until the thought of having breakfast slipped into him.

He started to drag his body out of bed, completely failing to ignore the persistent grumbling in his stomach. He went to the kitchen and wandered around; picking up things to make an omelette for breakfast. He already placed a pan on the stove when he realized that he did not have any food inside his fridge.

Jihoon had never been fond of breakfast. He'd usually grab a bread and head out to work. Unluckily, he ran out of bread and he was starving since he skipped dinner last night. He thought that if only his stomach would calm down for at least until the rain subsides, he wouldn't have to go out and get drenched so early morning.

Quickly, he changed his clothes into something that would protect him from the cold droplets of the rain, He wore his yellow-worn-out sneakers and for some reason, he knew that he would be needing an umbrella on his way out.

Jihoon lived in an apartment where the owner insisted to have a common area where the tenants' visitors could wait. He had to take the stairs every day in order to pass by the it.

Sometimes, Jihoon would just sit there and observe his neighbourhood. On other days, he would-

"Jihoon," a voice that called his name became successful in disrupting his train of thought.

To simply say that Jihoon was shocked was an understatement.

The hair on his skin stood up as he heard the voice; his eyes widen as he turned to see a tall boy soaked in rain.

Do you ever wonder if you ever think of each other at the same time?

Jihoon did not know how he ended up with a towel on his hand; he couldn't even remember how he started drying the boy's hair. It was a mystery how he was able to move quickly, as if forced by habit, and found himself seating on the sofa of the lobby, beside the tall boy.

Only one thing was clear to Jihoon, he wouldn't let him catch a cold.

"Guanlin, what are you doing here?" He asked and handed him the towel to continue drying himself.

"I was at the café a while ago but you weren't there. Instead, I saw Manager Ong and.." the younger one started. Then, Jihoon saw him tilting his head trying to remember something.

"Jinyoung, the other barista?" Jihoon continued and thought that those two must have started earlier than their usual shift.

"Yes, him," Guanlin said. "Manager Ong also said that you're sick and need someone to take care of you."

Jihoon never understood what this manager was thinking. He was close to convincing himself that his friend needed some psychiatric consultation.

"After that, I ran here without asking your floor number or your number. I also forgot my cell phone that's why I couldn't contact the people at the café." Guanlin added, avoiding the stares of Jihoon.

Right, Guanlin only accompanied him up to this spot. He did not have the chance to visit his apartment last night. Jihoon felt guilty and mentally noted to give his phone number later.

"How long have you been here?" Out of curiosity and while being overcome by agreat wave of guilt, Jihoon asked the boy beside him. He was almost certain that this boy did not wait that long; he continued to observe Guanlin as he started seemingly to count numbers in his head.

"2 hours?" Guanlin paused, smiled, and added "or more?"

"Are you trying to get sick?" Feeling irritated, Jihoon responded immediately.

Jihoon couldn't believe what he just heard, his face started to get red as he was filled with anger and frustration towards himself. The color in his cheeks turned a shade darker as Guanlin answered his question.

"No, just want to see you."

Jihoon couldn't fight back the smile brought by the large number of butterflies in his stomach. It didn't help him when he saw Guanlin grinning as if it was enjoyable to toy with his heart.

The heart is the strongest muscle, but at the same time the the most fragile one.

Jihoon continued staring at the boy until he broke eye contact. Those eyes could easily consume his whole being. Cheesy as it might sound, he would be totally lost inside it.

As Guanlin continued to dry his hair, Jihoon eventually asked him the question he wanted to be answered the most.

"Do you like getting soaked in the rain?"

Does someone actually enjoyed getting soaked in the rain? Jihoon asked himself too.

As Jihoon predicted, Guanlin only answered his question with what appeared to be a subtle smile but to the older boy, it wasn't just a subtle smile for he saw the quivering of his lips.

"C'mon, I'll lend you some clothes to change," Jihoon told Guanlin, as he stood up and snatched the towel fromn the younger one's hand.

"Thank you, Hyung."

"Did you say something?" Jihoon said without turning his head. Instead, he walked faster as Guanlin followed him.

"Uh... I didn't say anything" the younger boy mumbled.

If Jihoon was going to be honest, he heard those 3 simple words loud and clear. It's just that he didn't have enough courage to admit that it has been a while since someone he knew, not just a shadow, called him Hyung.

Jihoon no longer tried to figure out if the increase in the beats of his heart was caused by the exhaustion because of the stairs or

-mainly by Guanlin.

Do not settle in hearing the words, listen to them.

When they arrived in front of his flat, Jihoon promptly opened it and snickered as Guanlin unconsciously read the number on the door with a loud voice. He turned around just to see the boy standing there and tilting his head, which apeared to him more like peeking inside.

"Welcome to my humble abode," Jihoon said in a tired voice, entered his house and waited for Guanlin to enter.

As they set foot in his apartme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter