chapter 3

Private guard

 

“Can we go for a walk?” Taemin asked as he reached his hand to hold on Minho’s arm.

They became so close for the last 3 weeks and yet, Minho’s heart fluttered every time the boy touched him like that, so freely.

Looking at him with a smile on his face, he asked “where do you want to go?”

“To the forest” Taemin said casually.

Minho shook his head, his smile faded away “no”

“What, why?” Taemin frowned, his guard never refused his requests.

Minho couldn’t tell him that the rebels’ headquarters located in the forest, it was too risky, he could see something he shouldn’t.  

“The forest is a dangerous place”

Leaning his head on Minho’s arm, Taemin sweetly said “I have you to keep me safe”

“No”

“Come’on, Minho…”

Minho shook his head once again.    

Disappointed, Taemin raised his head and let go of his guard’s arm, he wanted to go outside the palace, see the autumn colors, but without Minho, Mrs. Gyu won’t let him. There were times he could, but ever since the rebels threatened the kingdom his father forbid him to go out by himself, even Mrs. Gyu used a guard’s company when she headed to her house.

Looking at the boy’s disappointed expression, Minho sighed and offered a compromise “tell you what…I heard the maids yesterday saying there is a feast at the village, there will be markets, food stalls, street shows, even dancings, we can go there if you’ll like, it would be safer”

“A feast?” Taemin asked, the only feast he knew were at the palace and there were no street shows or dancing in it.  

“Hmmm… want to go?”

Enthusiasm slowly rippled his body and he nodded.

“Well, you should dress nicely while I’ll bring a horse”

Taemin hadn’t needed to be told twice, he practically ran back to his room to get ready.

On his way to the stables, Minho looked for Mrs. Gyu to inform her, though she didn’t like the idea, she agreed, knowing that the guard would keep Taemin safe.

When Minho came back with a horse, Taemin already waited for him outside his room dressed all fancy, he even wore a hat. Smiling, Minho helped him to get on the horse before he got up on it by himself, the boy wrapped his arms around his body ready for the ride.

The road was a little bumpy and Taemin had to hold on Minho tight, he leaned his cheek on his back and asked him to go slower or his hat would fall.

Minho tried his best, though he wished to go even faster so the boy would hold him tighter.

When they arrived the village, Minho got down from the horse and tied it, he patted his nose and scratched behind his ears fondly before he reached Taemin’s side and helped him to get down as well.

The way his guard treated the animal made Taemin’s heart skip a beat, he imagined how gentle his hands must have been, shiver tickled his body when he wrapped an arm around his waist and pulled him close so he could get down from the horse, he placed his hands on his shoulders for balance while his body rubbed against him all the way down.  

Though Minho looked comfortable with himself, his heart pounded wildly in his chest, Taemin’s closeness made his blood boil in his veins.

Feet on the ground, the boy moved from his guard, wave of heat washed his body and flushed his cheeks, he looked around to avoid his face and saw many people walking down the streets, it was all so crowded and colorful, like Minho promised there were all kind of markets, food stalls, street shows, people danced to music that played, it was exciting.

Thrilled, Taemin rushed his feet in between stalls, his eyes bounced all over “look!” he called at Minho who tried to keep his pace “it’s beautiful!” he pointed at the jewelry stall.

Before Minho could reach it, Taemin already moved to the next stall, amused, he looked at the jewelries and saw an aqua blue hairpin, he glanced at the boy before he asked the Ajumma who sold the jewelries to wrap it for him, he paid her and placed the hairpin in his pocket for later.

“Minho!” Taemin called and pointed excitedly at hanboks stall “look…it’s all so colorful”  

Minho reached his side and held his arm “please don’t run, I don’t want to lose you”

Taemin smiled and apologized, he promised to stay close but forgot about it at the moment he saw a fan stall, his guard just chuckled and followed.

When the sun slowly set the streets lighted with lanterns, Taemin who finally slowed down, held Minho’s arm as they walked through the streets, he was embarrassed when his stomach growled loudly and placed his hand over it like it would shush it.

Minho looked at the boy with a smile before he pulled him to one of the food stalls “do you like tteokbokki?” he asked.

Taemin nodded.

“Spicy, or sweet?”

“Spicy”

“Agashi (young lady)…” Minho turned to the young lady at the stall and pointed at the spicy rice cakes “can we have few of those?”

The young lady nodded and hurried to make a dish for them.

Minho paid her and handed Taemin the first dish before he took himself the second one.

“Thank you” Taemin mumbled and took a bite into his mouth “hmmm… it’s delicious!”

They ate while watching some street shows and people dancing, when finished Taemin pulled Minho into a dance, embarrassed, the guard tried to match his uncoordinated legs with the boy’s pace, though he had failed, it was worth the huge smile on his face.  

“We need to head back to the palace” Minho said when it became darker, he held Taemin’s hand, led him as he danced around him.

“Can we stay a little longer?” the boy asked, he looked around, many people left and the streets became quiet.

Minho shook his head.  

Sighing, Taemin stopped dancing, soft smile lingered on his face though it was time to leave, he let Minho lead him toward the horse.

“I had so much fun today” he mumbled into a yawn when his guard helped him to get on the horse, he wrapped his arms around him and leaned his head over his back, his eyes lidded.

Minho smiled, he rode slowly so the boy could take a nap.


 

 

“Taemin…” Minho called softly when they reached the palace, he waited for the boy to wake up before he got down from the horse, reaching his hands, he helped the boy to get down as well and walked him to his room.

“Thank you, for an amazing day” Taemin mumbled tiredly when they stood by the door.

“I’m glad you had fun” Minho said as he pushed his hand into his pocket, he pulled the little present he bought him and handed it over.

“What is it?” Taemin asked with a frown.

“I bought you something, I thought it would look good on you”

Curious, Taemin unwrapped the present, his eyes widened when he saw an aqua blue hairpin decorated with gemstones “wow! Minho, it’s so beautiful”

“Do you like it?”

Brushing his fingers over the hairpin, Taemin nodded, he wasn’t aware of his actions when he tiptoed and kissed his guard’s cheek “I love it”

The gentle kiss burnt Minho’s skin, surprised, his eyes met Taemin’s, who looked confused with himself.

“I… I’m sorry!” he stuttered and palmed his mouth. Minho’s heart fluttered, soft smile crossed his lips, he leaned close and when the boy slowly removed his hands from his mouth he pressed their lips together.

Taemin froze, his eyes bulged, his guard’s lips were soft against his, his tongue was warm when he his upper lip, to open his mouth and let him in, when he did his whole body tingled, butterflies danced in his stomach, he closed his eyes, let out a soft groan in his throat.

He was breathless when their lips separated, his pounding heart deafened his ears, he looked at his guard and gulped, opened his mouth to speak but no words came out.

“Good night, Taemin” Minho said quietly before he turned and paced toward the horse.

Taemin watched him leaving before he trembled into his room and closed the door behind him, he brushed his fingers over his pulsed lips and smiled, can’t believe he just had his first kiss.