One Ride by the Ocean

It's Never Goodbye

Later that day

 


A soft breeze was blowing and the sun shone down perfectly from a  cloudless blue sky. They made a pretty picture, the young man and his lady love, riding along on a powder-blue Vespa down a tree-lined coastal road.  The snappy little engine buzzing along. It was how Ji Chang Wook had always imagined it. 

Well. Almost.

He had never quite pictured that he would be gripping on for dear life; praying to all the Gods.

Earlier that day, after all the boys had risen and recovered from last night's excess; they'd all decided it would be the perfect day to take the Vespas out for a ride. This was one of Chang Wook's most favorite things to do while in Jeju. He'd first rode the charming little scooters on a trip overseas and had immediately fallen in love. Now he had a whole gang of scooter friends who were enthusiasts and they took to riding them every chance they got.


Chang Wook had especially been looking forward to taking Ji Hyun around Jeju on one. There was nothing quite like the feeling of cruising on a Vespa; especially with a pretty girl holding on to you closely.  It shouldn't have come as a surprise to him that Ji Hyun would love the feel of riding one almost instantly. She was a bit of a daredevil after all.  

Before long she begged Chang Wook to let her drive; and of course he did not have the strength to resist. All it took was one "Please, Jagiya~" and he was waving bye to their other friends and finding a quiet road for her to practice.


This is easy, thought Ji Hyun. It's almost like riding a bike. Except you had to twist the handlebars to go faster. Ignition, accelerate, brakes, got it. She was a quick learner and it didn't take long until Nam Ji Hyun was going back and forth effortlessly; her face alight with joy at this achievement.


"Oppa~ Check this out" Ji Hyun did a nifty little U-turn, which Chang Wook thought nervously was cutting a little too close but like the good boyfriend he was, he just nodded.

"You're doing really good, Jagiya" he gives her the thumbs up and smiles.

She beams at his praise and pulls up to him close.

"Ok, I'm ready"  she nods at him.

"For...?"

"For a ride. Hop on!" she pats the seat behind her and looks at Chang Wook expectantly.


Chang Wook debates at first whether he should go along with this. After all it was one thing to ride a Vespa by yourself; it was quite another to do so with a passenger. The center of gravity changed and one had to turn and brake much more carefully.

But, one look at her eager face and he was climbing on board. It should be fine for a little bit and they couldn't go that fast anyhow on a little 125cc engine, could they?

What's the worst that could happen?

And so, like many other unsuspecting victims, Chang Wook jinxed himself by thinking those famous last words.

Because right now, he was holding on for dear life as Ji Hyun laughed with glee, zipping down the small country lane. The feel of the breeze blowing past and the open road was beyond exhilarating. And, despite what Chang Wook thought, little Vespas could go very fast after all.

This is so fun, she thought.

Oh God, we're going to die, he thought.

Finally, she brakes to a quick stop and Chang Wook hops off; his heart pounding as he collapses onto a low stone wall; gulping in deep breaths of air.


"Nam Ji Hyun-shi. I, you..." he's speechless.

"Wasn't that great? I was like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday! But without the crashing and police chase." she claps her hands together proudly. "I've always wanted to do that. Thank you, Oppa."

She sits down next to him and smiles up at him with joy. At the sight, his heart glows back with happiness and he knows, he would do it again and again just to see that smile.


He leans over and helps her take her helmet off, shaking his head slightly and laughs at himself for being such a fool for this girl. His daredevil adventuress. He could already see himself being dragged into doing things despite himself. She had already mentioned bungee jumping with him one day, God help him. 

Ji Hyun grabs a bottle of water from the little carrier behind the scooter and hands it to him. He looks a little flustered and she smiles even wider. She knows Chang Wook-oppa had actually been terrified but, despite all that, he had still humored her and had not said one word to persuade her otherwise. If she wasn't the luckiest woman alive, she didn't know who was.

She reaches over to pull his helmet off and brushes back his tousled hair, enjoying the amused look in his eyes and the way his throat moved when he swallow-ed his drink.  She leans even closer, taking the bottle away from his lips and kisses him sweetly.


"Thank you, Jagiya" she whispers

Chang Wook heart skips at the first brush of her lips. Then it starts beating furiously and he kisses her back. His arms pulling her closer.


It's a long moment before either is ready to get back up.

Later, as they head back to the vacation house, Ji Hyun notes that riding on the back of a Vespa, holding on tight to her love had it's benefits too. She snuggles up closer enjoying the feeling of his broad, strong back and that scent he wore. She breathes in deeply and sighs happily.

"Jagiya?" she asks.


"Yes?"

"I love you.."  
 

Chang Wook grins helplessly at those words.

"I love you too"


He rides home, enjoying the soft warmth of her wrapped tight around him. Riding a Vespa with his girl was wonderful whichever way they tried it.

 

 

hr

 

 

O.WHEN – How To Say (어떻게 말할까) 
(Suspicious Partner OST)

Fan MV by Sharpay Evans 242