Hope

Searching For The Light: BTOB Changsub x Apink Chorong

Chapter 2 / Hope
Chorong's POV

"How many times do I have to tell you that I won't give you my song?"

The CEO of a small entertainment agency clenched his jaw. He's probably around his fifty's but he's still trying to debut a girl group that would compete with a lot more others who came from bigger companies. There is nothing wrong with that. He's just a bit hopeless and he plays dirty.

So, he wants to buy my song.
I should be damn right happy because I'm still pretty much an unknown songwriter and to have a CEO take interest in my song could have been amazing only if:

1. He didn't think I'm a person auditioning to be an idol when I first came here.

2. He didn't insist I should be an idol.

3. He didn't try to buy my song and release it, crediting a person I don't even know.

Basically, I have reasonable reasons why I shouldn't give my song to this old man. I would never, in a million years, sell my song knowing I won't get the credit for it. My songs are my thoughts. They come from nothing else but myself. They come from my failures and success, from my love and heartbreaks, from my whole life. I promised myself I would only share them with the right singer who would give the lyrics justice.

But even the vocalist this old man is offering to sing the song isn't even that good. She sings with no emotions at all. She needs to be told that before they debut her as the main vocalist of her group.

"You won't come here if you didn't change your mind. Look, I'm offering you a good deal. You get the large sum of money I'm offering you and you get a month of royalties for the song. What more do you want?"

"I came here because you said we're negotiating and you know what I want. I want proper credits!"

He shook his head. "One thing you don't get in this industry is people like you will go nowhere if you don't know how to go with the flow."

"Are you done? Because my feet are itching to leave this place."

"You will regret this day, Park Chorong."

"I can't predict the future, but I can predict that you're wrong." I replied before bending my head a little for a respect he doesn't deserve. "Good bye."

I sighed right after I've closed the door. I took out my phone and called my friend, Eunji. "Yes? Jung Eun Ji of Apink, speaking. How may I help our songwriter?" She asked with a giggle in the end.

Apink is a duo group, consisting of my friendsㅡEunji and Namjoo. I wrote their debut song, 'To Us' and even though it didn't get on the music charts, I'm still glad to be able to write their first song.

I smiled a little. "Up for a drink?"

"Eonni!" She yelled suddenly. I put the phone away from my ear.

"What?"

"You know we can't drink in public anymore." She said.

I frowned. "Then lets drink in private."

She laughed. "Call. I'll tell Namjoo."

"Okay! See you guys at the karaoke house!"

#

"Closed." Namjoo said, reading the sign on the karaoke house's door. "Did you really close down just for us? Omo, eonni! We're not that famous yet."

Eunji laughed.

I frowned. "I just got here too and no one would look out for it so I just closed it for a while."

"We told you to hire a part-timer!" Eunji said.

I opened the door completely, letting them inside. I placed the plastic bag of canned beers and snacks on the counter and switched on the lights.

"I posted online and tomorrow, the first applicant will come for the interview."

"Just one applicant? I thought internet is useful these days." Namjoo commented, opening up a snack.

"Maybe more will come later. I don't wanna think about it."

"So what made you go for a drink?" Eunji asked, opening a room. I the karaoke. We sat there altogether while Namjoo laid out the snacks and canned beers.

"I went to Y&C Music todayㅡ"

"Again? Why?" Namjoo asked.

I crunched a potato chip between my teeth. "Because I thought he finally decided to give me proper credits. I need money, but I won't give in."

"Aigoo," Eunji said, taking the first drink. "Why do you need money?"

I rolled my eyes. "First, the faucet on my sink doesn't work well anymore. Water flows continuously and it's a headache. After that, my flush doesn't work either! I'm going insane."

"Can't you take some from the shop's money?" Eunji asked.

I shook my head. "Everything just goes to the bills and mom's medications."

"I'm sorry we're not popular enough to give you huge royalties." Namjoo said sadly.

I frowned. "Yah! Stop it. It's not your fault, besides, you girls are just beginning. I know people will acknowledge your talent someday."

They smiled. "Eonni," Eunji said. "When we become big someday, we'll send twenty plumbers to your place!"

"You can even marry one of them!" Namjoo added.

I widened my eyes at her. "What!"

We laughed. This is how I forget about stress. I'm just thankful to have friends like them. They're one of the few reasons I could go on with life.

To be honest, I would do anything for these girls.

#

Changsub's POV

"You prefer wandering around than actually getting out there and trying to improve your music!" Bomi nagged while I was aimlessly walking around the house.

"How many times do I have to repeat that I don't want to sing anymore?"

Before I enlisted, I was training to debut as a singer. Naeun was okay with it. She supported me all the way. She dreamed with me. I guess that's why it's so hard to forget about her when she was there with me in every step of the way.

"Please tell me this is not about Naeun. Now that you're home, I don't want you losing your dreams just because of a girl who couldn't even wait for you."

"I don't want to talk about this." I said and grabbed my jacket before leaving the house.

I have no specific location to go to. Minhyuk called me to have a drink tonight and I'm bringing Eunkwang with me. But it's still too early for that. It's just half past five and Minhyuk said to meet up at eight.

I walked around until I got out of my neighborhood. This world still looks strange to me. I guess I was used seeing men in their military uniforms, working here and there. No modern buildings or houses, only sand, vehicles and weapons.

I passed by a convenience store and bought canned beers. I slid my hands inside my hoodie's pockets. Where do I go? I asked myself.

And then I saw itㅡRong's Karaoke House.

But no, I don't want to sing anymore.
But what if only singing could ease the pain I'm feeling? What if singing is the only way to bring some light to my hollowed heart?

I pushed the door open and I found the girl on the counter sleeping. I shook my head and tried to wake her up.

#

Chorong's POV

Eunji and Namjoo left already after they received a call from their manager. I drank alone and decided to open up the shop. Only a couple and a student came in. I could feel my eyelids getting heavy, so I got up to monitor rooms which I always do because we'll never know what happens behind those doorsㅡespecially with couple customers, even though the doors have transparent glasses on them.

Someone is singing her lungs out to Ailee's I'll Show You.

You're probably meeting her
And laughing right now
Did you like her that much,
That you had to leave me?
How much more do I have to do better

No matter how many times I try to erase you,
We spent so many days together,
The past times are so regrettable
That tears keep flowing butㅡ

I will show you a completely changed me...

I hiccupped as the lyrics bring back memories. I made a mental note to delete that song from the song book later. I passed by the other door and saw the couple who entered earlier, making out while the instrumental karaoke goes on. I knocked with a frown and yelledㅡ"This is not a motel!"

I don't care if they get embarrassed. This is not a motel.

I turned back to the counter, still hearing Ailee's song. I put my head down on the top of the counter and closed my eyes. Please stop. Please stop.

"Excuse me?"

"We're closed!"

"Ah, is that so?"

I looked up, on the verge of crying, to a guy who looked so simple yet something about him is so cool. He raised an eyebrow. "Are you really closed?"

I shook my head. "No," I replied. "Please fill the form."

I handed him a paper where customers write their name and contact address in case there are items they forget in the rooms that need to be returned.

He finished it in a quick moment. "Here."

"Room eight."

He settled his payment and left.
Finally, I'm not as emotional as I am now that I still hear the song because the student is obviously struggling and her screaming makes it somehow funnyㅡor, I may be drunk.

When she stopped, the couple came out and the girl slammed the door shut. It looks like they were fighting. I sighed. Why are relationships like this? For a moment, you act like newly wed couples, in a quick second, everything could go downhill. It's scary. I don't want to fall in love ever again. I don't want to take the risk of loving someone, not knowing their true intentions.

Finally, the student came out with a smile on her face while looking at her phone. She even said good bye to me before leaving.

I don't hear the guy customer singing. I just hear the instrumental playing on.

I buried my face in my hands and placed my head at the top of the counter again. I'm so tired. I mean, tired of everything and yet I felt myself calm down, my tensed nerves start to relax, my mind seems to clear a littleㅡI didn't know I was listening to a customer singing until I realized he wasn't a recorded audio.

I slowly raised my head and listened more. He's singing Park Hyo Shin's Wild Flower.

A white ice flower that bloomed,
Puts its face out in the welcoming wind
It sheds tears over the wordless and nameless past

Hiding in the cold wind,
Melting down under a single ray of sunlight,
That's how you came to me once more

I'm gonna ban this song too, but all I could think of at that moment wasㅡdamn, this guy knows how to stab hearts with his voice.

Of course, it's not like the original singer's, but his voice is calming, a little husky and cold yet beautiful. Like it's lulling you to sleep, like putting every inch of your body to calmnessㅡbut at the same time, it is full of sadness, like a threatening rainstorm doing the ballad justice.

Only good memories,
Only a longing heart,
On the path where you left me,
I'm standing alone.
Only until I can forget you, I will be alright
I'll swallow my tears and at the end of my walk,
I will bloom once again...

I wiped away the tears that I didn't realize have fallen down my cheeks. I hate heartbreak songs and yet it's all I could write lately. I closed my eyes and sat down while I let myself get lost in the stranger's beautiful voice.

Your scent that remained on my fingers is scattering away,
Your hand that is growing far apart,
I can't hold onto it so it hurts
Just until I can survive,
Just as much as I hated you
When the spring comes to bring you back later on...
Then I will bloom on that day

#

A/N: Hoho. Guys! I want you to listen to Park Hyo Shin's Wild Flower, please. I swear you can imagine Changsub singing it ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Plus, I'm sorry if the story is slow-paced. Hehe. Broken hearts need time to heal. Lol thanks for reading!