An Exo-mas Carol III: Part 1: The ones with a kind spirit

The early bird gets the Golden Snitch

 

An Exo-mas Carol III:

Part 1:

The ones with a kind spirit

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Midnight had passed. Cake had been eaten and wine had been poured. At that point Minseok and his family were gathered around the dining table, exchanging stories about life, funny moments they had experienced, silly gossip about the family living next door… it was the most pleasant time.

His stomach was full, his mind was fuzzy with satisfaction and tiredness, but they were all waiting for the presents to arrive. As his uncle went to the kitchen to bring another bottle of apple juice to the table, the first owl arrived. It was from his grandparents in the south, gifting him pies and tarts with pine nuts and hazels.

All his relatives gathered around the windows, eager to see who the gifts were for, and by the tree, waiting for the ones arriving by spell. First came the one from Kyungsoo: it was a cute little box of sweets, clearly handmade, but all full of care. He couldn’t help but smile; the little Gryffindor was one of the sweetest wizards he’d ever met and he was glad he and Jongdae had decided to send him a gift as well.

Speaking of Jongdae, where was his present? They had always exchanged silly toys, magical trinkets and knickknacks, so where was it? Just as the thought popped up in his head, a thin and rectangular package appeared under the tree, right next to his napping cat, Apricot. She was a beautiful, fluffy Somali who he loved to death.

Jongdae however did not, because the first time he had come visit his home for the summer, Apricot had shredded almost all his swimwear and hats, leaving him with nothing to go to the beach with. Of course, Apricot hadn’t done that on purpose, she was a lovely cat, but Jongdae wouldn’t hear any of it.

As he took the package, she immediately woke up and darted towards it, raising her little paws to reach for it, claws ready to kill.

“No, Apri, this is not for you” he said, scratching her head.

She could be a little devil sometimes, coincidentally more so when Jongdae was in the picture, but how could a creature so cute be the devil his friend wanted to depict? He momentarily excused himself from his relatives and went to his room, sitting on his bed, and started shredding the wrapping paper.

As soon as he saw what was inside, his mouth quivered in a smile. Slowly, he began to giggle, louder and louder until tears were streaming down his eyes.

In his hands was a copy of “A guide to cats and their dark side: why feline are creatures of hell”, signed by the author:

 

Yours truly,

Kim Jongdae.

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Jongdae dear, can you pass me some of that turkey?”

The wizard in question stared at his grandmother, eyes wide and dry, doing as he was told. That couldn’t be reality, that had to be a horrible nightmare. It had been five hours since the annual Christmas dinner at the Kims had started, five bloody hours of listening to whatever gossip his grandma was dying to share about her knitting club or how much he still was a big disappointment to the family.

He could see his parents giving him sneaky thumbs up from the other end of the table, as far as possible from the terrible woman sitting right next to him, of course. He would’ve wanted to punch them both in the face if he didn’t know how much he was dying to do the same: run the hell out of the house and leave his grandma there, drowning in her own ego.

And the question was still in the holster.

The old woman brushed her wrinkly mouth on the napkin, gracefully placed it back down on the table and shot him one of her killer glances. She should have been quite a beauty back in the day, a perfect pure-blood princess, but time hadn’t been merciful with her. The Ravenclaw was sure it had been her obnoxious personality to do the job.

“So, Jongdae honey, have you settled up already?”

Ah-ha, there it was, the Question with the capitol Q.

He was dying, dying, to tell her: “Oh no Grandma, sorry. I’m in love with fellow Ravenclaw Kim Minseok, who I’m sorry to tell you is indubitably male, and I’ve yet to master the balls to ask him out”, but of course, he had to bit his tongue and repress the urge to pirouette on the table with a rainbow flag in his hands.

“No Grandmother, I’m sorry” he bitterly replied.

The old woman grimaced, as usual.

“But Jongdae, sweetheart, you won’t be able to marry if you don’t have already a girl willing to do so. At least I hope you have someone in mind?”

“Yes, of course”

Rapid images of Minseok bidding him goodbye for the holidays with a tight hug raced through his mind, his hands delicately wrapped around his shoulders and face buried in his neck, but he dared not to say a word.

“Mind to tell me who the lucky girl might be?”

Jongdae felt droplets of sweat slide down his back. He locked back at his parents, hoping to find an answer that didn’t involve being disowned, at least for that year, but they were just as terrified as he was.

“Well, I…” he started.

WHAM!

But he never got to finish: an owl had just launched himself through the dining room’s window. It was a shame the window was closed.

Jongdae excused himself from the table and raced to rescue the poor animal he now recognized: it was Minseok’s personal owl. He mentally sent a prayer of thanks to him and took the owl back to his family.

“Isn’t that Minnie’s owl?” asked his dad.

The things about his parents: they adored Minseok, probably more than their own son. So why was his grandma so damn hard to crack? What was about guys that was not to like? Jongdae didn’t understand.

“Yup. He was carrying this box” he said, handing his mother the blue and silver package the confused animal had brought him.

After giving the owl something to eat and a place to nap, they all gathered around the box as if it was some kind of vodoo ritual.

“I can open it in my room, you can finish dinner without me”

“Don’t worry Dae, it’s not a problem” replied his mother with a rather desperate look on her face. It was clear he was not the only one at his tolerance limit.

“What are you waiting for?” hissed his grandma “Open the bloody box!”

With trembling hands, Jongdae carefully tore the wrapping paper and opened the lid. From the inside came a low rumble and then the room was instantly filled with the scent of roses and lavender; blue confetti burst in the air as a wool scarf magically made its way from the box to Jongdae’s neck, accompanied by a tiny greeting card.

To the best guy I know in the world, hoping you can spend a wonderful Christmas with your family. For you, a touch of silver so that everyone can see as much as I do how you shine.

Merry Christmas Jongdae.

Kim Minseok.

The card was severely damaged by what the Ravenclaw could only think of as Apricot’s claws (damn that evil cat), but he didn’t care. The scarf was warm, with glittering strands of silver wool knitted inside and suddenly he knew why Minseok had been so secretively hanging around Baekhyun in the last couple of weeks: the guy was a kitting master (even if he would never admit that).

Suddenly, his heart was trying to commit suicide by jumping out of his chest. He put a hand above his ribs and felt it beating fast, faster than humanly possible. He could almost feel the eyes of his parents burning holes in the back of his scalp, just as much as he could feel the icy stare of his grandmother.

“Jongdae, my love, who is this Kim Minseok who dares to put up such a show just for a mere scarf?” she grumbled, clearly distasted.

And now he knew why the legendary Harry Potter had inflated his aunt.

“He’s… he’s a friend” he replied, burying himself in the soft wool “A great one”

 

 

 

As soon as his Grandmother finally, FINALLY, left, his parents suddenly trapped him between them and the door with knowing smiles on their faces.

“So… Minnie uh?”

“You still have the courage to say he’s not your boyfriend?”

“What?! No! Mom, dad, we’re just friends”

Their smiles only grew larger and slyer.

“Just friends? Like, with a little bit of benefits?”

“MOM!!”

And that’s how, Ladies and Gentlemen, the annual Christmas dinner at the Kims ended.

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Kris! Can you swing me?”

“Big bro, sing me a song!”

“Khish! Pick Hanna up!”

Kris watched in desperation as he entered the kitchen and was immediately attacked by his three little sister, two hanging by his arms and the third, Hanna, who was too short to reach them, by his knees. They were his copy in mini version, aside from the long blonde hair and the fact that they still all had their milk teeth.

They had just finished their Christmas dinner and he was about to go help his dad wash the dishes, but he had been stopped by those adorable pests and was stuck on the doorstep.

“Dad, give a hand, would you?” he asked.

His dad, broad shoulders under an even broader smile, just shrugged with a giggle.

“I’m fine by myself. Go play with our princesses”

Kris groaned. As much as he loved his sisters, the only thing he wanted was to help out his parents clear the house and go to sleep in his room. Uncle Minho especially had dropped a whole lot of apple cider on the carpet while doing his annual Christmas Dance to entertain the kids while the others were playing Bingo and the stain wasn’t going to wash itself alone.

Or maybe not. He peeked inside the living room and saw his mother waving her wand around, making the carpet float mid-air while a soaked sponge was scrubbing the cider off.

With a reassuring pat, he took Hanna with his right arm, Sunny swinging on the other and had Sam grab him by the shirt, like a dog on leash and brought them all upstairs. He read them some fables from “The tales of Beedle the bard” and by the second one they were fast asleep; he tucked them all in and kissed them goodnight on the forehead.

Finally, he turned the lights off. On the outside he was all cool and cold, but if there was something able to melt his icy shell were his sisters.

And Tao. Bloody Huang Zitao.

And of course he had bought a present for him, how could he had not. Aside from getting him constipated for almost a week (hail to private bathroom screaming sessions), he was still wrecking his sleep, haunting him in every corner of his head.

How was that even possible? There was no student in Hogwarts slyer and more confusing that Tao, nevertheless, he couldn’t stop thinking about him. Was that how falling for someone really should have been? Hell to the no! In all those Korean dramas he had watched with his sisters (that he secretly loved) having a crush was something wonderful and perfect, because you were always going to end up with your loved one.

Apparently Karma didn’t like Kris quite as much.

He silently returned to the living room to announce his mother he was going to take a shower, but instead of finding her still washing the carpet as he had thought, she was by the window, feeding a mysterious owl some crackers. A late gift?

“Mom, I’m taking a shower” he announced.

“No, you’re not”

Kris furrowed his brows.

“I’m... not?”

She shot him one of her famous side smiles, one eyebrow arched up.

“Not until you tell me who is the secret admirer who sent you these”

The Gryffindor walked up to her and saw she had a pair of new goalkeeper gloves. They were shiny with polish, made of sturdy dragon’s skin. They must’ve cost a fortune. With them came only a little note.

“Maybe with these, at least one you’ll save it”

Now you see, with his mother’s suspicious eyes on him he obviously couldn’t start screaming, so he just took them and went upstairs, but as soon as the door was locked behind him, he started jumping up and down, not sure if he should’ve tore his hair off or started laughing, elated.

Because that was Tao’s handwriting.

He wanted to die.

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was a beautiful night. Tao was outside on his house’s patio, rubbing his hands together to keep them warm. He probably should’ve wore a jacket, but he didn’t feel like it: he wanted to feel the prickle of ice on the skin, remind himself that he was indeed alive and not alone.

His parents were inside, deep in conversation with his older brother just returned from Lapland. It had been almost a year since they had seen each other but the amount of attention he had paid to him was the same as ever: none. Huang ZiTao, just the little brother of the more famous Huang, the one wizard capable of negotiating with North giants and savior of the northern tribes.

And there he was, out in the cold, ignored by his family and friends.

Well, it was not entirely true: Luhan had sent a basket full of their favorite sweets and pies, handmade by him and his mother. He was perhaps the only other wizard to see him as he really was: talented and full of potential, not just the mere shadow of somebody else.

But the thrill of receiving his first (and only) gift was wearing off, leaving space for the daily reminder that Luhan was just one person and the world was far, far wider. No matter what he did, he would’ve never been able to outdo his brother. Never.

And then, shoved aside from all the other dark thoughts, was the tiny light in the corner. He could feel it, he knew what it was, but he didn’t want to let it free. It was just another illusion, another let down about to happen.

It had the shape of a pair of gloves, bought for jokes, but made specifically to be kind on the skin and sturdy in use. He didn’t even know why he had bought them, asking for the best in the store. Maybe because it had been the first time in years he had been interested in someone. It was not just finding someone nice or with similar interests, it was someone competitive, that made him want to strive forward and be better.

And, of course, having fun.

He couldn’t wait to go back at Hogwarts. A smile made way on his lips, immediately replaced by one of total disbelief: an owl, solitary, black as the night sky, had just landed on the wooden fence that delimited his house.

It had a square box in his beak that dropped as soon as it began hooting for food. The Slytherin picked up the box and immediately opened, shy happiness bubbling in his chest. Inside was a book: “Quidditch through the ages”, shiny new copy.

On the inside cover was a message written in black ink and suddenly Tao forgot where he was, breath jammed in his throat. As soon as he finished reading, he started laughing, laughing so loud his family opened the door to tehe patio and yelled him to shut up, but he didn't care.

That was going to be an interesting year indeed.

 

 

“Learn to fly you troll.

Merry Christmas,

Kris”

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Helloo, guess who is dead? Me! University is taking up all of my time and when I do have time, I stare at the blank page with no inspiration whatsoever :/

I had planned a longer chapter to end the Christmas trilogy but I have to split it in two because I'll probably be even busier next month so sorry this chapter is a little shorter, but I hope it will be enjoyable anyway. Next time, Christmas will come to an end with a terribly petty Luhan, angsty Suho and adorable as always Kyungsoo, so look forward to that.

 

Let me know if you like it the comments, they really brighten up my day ^__^