Chapter 14

The Grave Digger

When I wake I was not expecting to have a cartoonish face peering lidless right back at me. I shoot up in surprise, a gasp flying out of my mouth and I instinctively kick away. With my heart beating out of my chest a nervous laugh falls out of my trembling lips as I get a good look at the small toy harmlessly lying on the grass. I press a hand over where my heart was racing, patting the area as I breathed out, hoping to ease the nervousness.

A quick check of my surroundings was enough to send my heart dropping to my gut and my head to fill with dread. Where ever I was I only knew two things: it was beginning to grow dark and I had no idea where I was.

There was a light fog that seemed to be rolling along the ground but I can barely see anything with just the help of the light seeping through the grey overcast sky. Everything somehow seemed so gloomy and grey, like all the colours had faded from the world.

I pull at my collar, my shirt has stuck to my skin like a second layer and I’m not sure whether it was from perspiration or the condensation around me.

Have I been sleeping on the same spot? How come no ones come for me or wake me up? Surely, at least one person would be looking for me, right?

But who would be looking for me?

I press my face against my palm. I’m trying to grasp at things in my mind, things that seem important but I can’t quite remember. I don’t know what I’m doing here, or even where here is, or what I’m supposed to do now. But, to be honest, it doesn’t really scare me. It’s just all so confusing and now I’m just left with one question.

What now?

Getting onto my knees, I take the doll, hoping to see if I can find any clues as to why I’m here. It pops open far easier than I thought it would and I fumble with the small object that was housed within. It falls with a soft thunk on the ground and I almost lose it within the grass. Somehow I just managed to follow its descent and fetch it out of the green.

It was a wooden figure. A toy. It was almost weightless and upon further inspection, it didn't seem like a masterful piece. It was of a cat at rest, the small indentation of its eyes and mouth giving it away. It wasn't really crude, looked like a lot of care was put in despite the lack of flair. It looks like something a child would play with or a keepsake. I turn it over in my hand trying to figure out if it was worth anything.

It doesn't seem like anything important, but something tells me I best keep it anyway. I pocket the figure and move to check the interior of the doll, then the exterior, looking for carvings that could maybe jog something in my hazy memory.

That’s when I see it. I had missed it earlier, too engrossed with the overwhelming feeling of being lost. A small black book lay just by where I had found the doll. It looked innocuous enough but at my first attempt at scanning through the weathered pages, I had thought the ink had lightened over the years making it hard to decipher the words. Upon closer inspection that was not the case. It was written in another language, one feels oddly familiar, but I can’t even begin to understand even a single word. However, it was a clue, of sorts. Maybe I could find a settlement or a caravan, and maybe someone would be able to translate it for me. With civilization in mind, I pocket the book and keeping the doll on hand, for the sake of having some sort of companionship, turned to a decisive direction and did the only logical thing. 

Moving forward with uncertainty would have been a perilous move for the wise, but for one without a single idea as to where anything was moving was my only option. By pure luck, moments into my quest a small dip landed me from the muted sound of grass crushing under my boot into the unmistakable crunch of gravel. My heart leaps at this, surely I must be on the right path. I hope. I still can hardly see anything, but realistically speaking a gravel path is bound to lead to civilization. The question is: do I go to the right? Or the left?

“What do you think?” I ask the inanimate object in my hand. Its lidless eyes peer right back at me, the faint smile not really much of an encouragement. “You know, you’re really useless. No help what-so-ever. I don’t even know why I’m talking to you.” I pocket the doll, thank God for large pockets, growing increasingly agitated with its frozen appearance. It’s unsettling, these dolls. Why anyone thought a replica of a human was a good idea escapes me.

I check to my right, the road stretched out to the thickening fog as far as I can see. Then to the left, it looked roughly the same though, it could’ve been just my imagination, the left side seems a bit lighter. Two options, both shrouded with uncertainty but with one that seemed more hopeful.

The gravel crunching under my weight provided a bit of relief from the otherwise deafening silence. The cold tendrils of fear crawling underneath my skin raised goosebumps along my arms and overtook my body though I will myself not to look anywhere else aside from the faint light.

Where were the sounds of nature? The soft chirping melodies of crickets, the light shuffling of leaves as tiny critters scampered in search for food in the dying light, or the echoing hoot of an owl in search of its next meal? The music of nature, muted. A shiver runs down my spine. This was not natural.

“Scary out here, isn’t it?” Exactly my sentiments.

Wait.

“Fog this thick, it’s dangerous to walk on the road. What if a wagon came barreling past?” Despite my fears, my head instinctively turned to the source, squinting in hopes to see better even though I knew it would be futile. The fog was just too thick and with what little light I have I can only make out the silhouette that owned the voice. “We wouldn’t want a pretty girl to fall victim to an unfortunate accident.” 

It takes a step closer. My brain warns me to take a step back, fight or flight battling it out in my head. I straighten up, puff my chest out and repress the urge to turn and flee.

Like a curtain parting, I see his features coming into definition. He was lean and tall and unremarkably very average looking that I could very easily lose sight of him had we been in a crowded place. Except his eyes were markedly different. They were a bright greenish-yellow that doesn’t seem very human-like and a bit hypnotic in an inhumane sort of way. I force my gaze to the ground and shake the lightheadedness. When I look back I try not to stare right into his eyes.

“And you are?” I ask.

His lips quirked in the faintest of smiles before a look of contemplation took over his features. Pocketing his hands he turns to the direction I was making my way over to. “I would prepare myself mentally if I were you. Physically too, probably. Ah, but I feel like I’m getting too ahead of myself.” He extends one hand towards the faint glimmer of light, cocking his head to one side. “You better get going. Someone’s waiting for you. Ah, waiting’s not really the word I’m looking for.. It’s more of someone you’re expected to meet.” He hums, his lips quirking up, looking all too pleased with himself.

“Well, I shan’t take up any more of your time. Go on.” He urges. I stare at him for a moment longer, not really sure what to make of his scattered thoughts.

“I don’t understand.”

“Of course you don’t. I’d be surprised if you do.” He smiles, lips parting to show some teeth. It looked condescending like he was smiling at a small child who didn't know the trouble they were getting into.

He lifts a hand. It looks unnaturally pale and boney and almost as if his skin doesn't quite fit, as if it wasn't his own. “Go on. You shouldn’t make a lady wait.”

“A lady?” I look down at myself, a flare of irritation overcoming my more rational side. “I’m a lady myself, you know.” I motioned to myself.  My clothes certainly weren’t at all feminine, more like I was just given the shirt and pants and told to dress up. But considering I just woke up in the middle of nowhere and don’t have a recollection of anything from that point on my irritation can be justified. “I don’t exactly have pretty clothes, but..”

His chuckles stop my ranting. I square up and glared daggers at his quivering form. At least he wasn’t outright laughing at my face.

“Are you done?” I snap at him. My irritation only seems to delight him and he grins from ear to ear as he motions for me towards the distance.

“She’s waiting. Ah… not really.” Then he crackles, head flung back violently that his body nearly bent in half. Whatever ire he raised from me was quickly snuffed and like a splash of icy water, the fear settled back, my mind screaming at me to do something.

Flight it is.

Pivoting around I make a break for it, fleeing from the manic laughter howling behind me. I do feel a questionable pull towards the dull light but I won't challenge it anymore and continue my sprint until the gravel crunching under me is the only thing I can hear. I don’t stop. Something in me is telling me not to. My chest constricts from the exertion and my muscles burns but I continue running even after the gravel narrows into a thin trail between the grass.

I hear a loud bang and feel something whizz past my ear, lodging itself with a loud crack at a nearby tree. I just managed to catch a scream and skid into a break, falling to my knees to make myself a smaller target. My heartbeat has turned sporadic at everything happing around me and flight is the forefront of my mind at this point. I look around my surroundings, even though I know how useless doing so was in this condition, trying to in point where the threat was coming from. I’m running purely on the instinct of self-preservation.

I don’t want to die. I feel like there’s something I need to do and I can’t die. Not yet.

Another bang and I drop completely on the ground, shrieking this time as I go into a defensive curl.

A silent beat.

“Who’s there?” A voice barrels from within the trees. I turn on my back, propelling myself backwards until I hit the bark of a nearby tree, breathing heavily as I look on as a silhouette slowly comes into view. “Who is it?”

That voice. I think I know the owner of that voice. But the haze in my mind stops me from grasping at the memories I seem unable to access.

I see the end of the barrel first, then his boots, and finally, as I force myself to look up from the danger of the gun, up to his confused face. Despite my current predicament, I note that he is quite handsome with his dark hair falling over his tired-looking eyes. He doesn’t look like the typical white man, his facial structure looked a bit sharper, eyes chinky, and his body lean. The confused look on his handsome face pulls a feeling of trust from somewhere deep within me, but I can’t place a name to his face no matter how hard I try. So, acting like a normal person as I can, I eye him warily.

“Jesus," He pulls his gun back quickly "I’m sorry. I thought you were a deer.” He holds his hand out for me invitingly, the gun he was using slung around his other arm, far away from me as possible. “Here, let me help you up. I mean no harm, I swear.” He smiles this time. How could someone be this handsome?

“Ah, I'm.. thanks?" I say, though I ignore his offer and get up on shaky legs.

Miraculously I am unhurt, not even a scratch. My lungs and muscles still burn from the effort of the running, but other than that I seem to be alright. I pat around me to check for any tender spots anyway. Everything here seems to throw me off, I wouldn’t be surprised to find myself missing a limb.

When I'm satisfied I put back my guard, looking at the young fellow standing awkwardly with his gun slung along one arm. The dark, metallic piece makes my stomach squirm but he doesn't look like the type to be violent. But, then again, strangers tend to look friendly at first glance. “Do you do this often?”

“Do what? Hunt? Or come across a beautiful girl in the middle of a path?” He grins at what I think is supposed to be charming, and I had a feeling that this is what is called flirting. Terrible time for it since not that long ago my head was almost blasted into oblivion.

I clear my throat, pretending I didn't know what he was trying and motion to his piece. “Hunt with practically zero vision.” I motion to the dense fog. “You could seriously hurt someone like this.”

He has the decency to look sheepish at this and the side of his left shoulder, right along the strap of his gun. “Deer’s are usually up and about at this time of the day, they prefer the cold. I just wasn’t expecting the dense fog, but it does provide a good cover. Also, I wasn’t expecting anyone randomly running about in this condition and area. The other hunters move slowly as not to give away their position, so when I heard running without the sound of a gun going off.. well, I could only assume it was an animal. I am sorry I brashly took aim at you though.”

“Oh.” That made sense. And I feel completely ignorant. I wrap a cool hand over my throat, gulping nervously at the thought of being unlucky enough not to have avoided that shot. My head would have been cracked open just like a fragile egg dropped on the ground.

I push back the dreadful thought, reorganizing my thought process. First thing's first, “Where are we?”

He looks at me funnily. If I was in his shoes I guess I’d do the same. “The forest?” he answers uncertainly. His brows furrow and his eyes roam over me. I almost wanted to either slap him or cross my arms around my chest. I do neither and patiently waited for him to finish his assessment. “Are you alright miss?”

I am not alright. Brushing my hand over my hair I take a good look around the place. With the looming feeling of threat gone my irritation was back full force. I still didn’t know where I was and what I was supposed to do. I brush the dirt from my bottom, my hand hitting a solid object in my pocket. I flinch. Stupid doll, I don’t know why I haven’t chucked it away earlier with that stupid useless- wait!

“Maybe you could help me. I’ve got this book and.. and.. I don’t know. I can’t understand a thing.” I start pulling out the black book, flipping to a random page and shove it to his face. He startles and takes a step back, looking between me and the book. He takes it into his hand, flicking through a few pages and the confusion on his face becoming prominent the more his eyes scan through the pages.

“Sorry. I haven’t seen writing like this one in my life.” He finally says after a good few seconds of attempting to read the page. I deflate. Another dead end. He hands it back with a shrug and a small half-grimace. I wave him away.

“Are you cold?” He suddenly asks, placing his satchel and gun to the ground so he could shrug his jacket off his shoulder. Before I could answer, or protest, he drapes the warm coat over my shoulder. I could cry at the sudden warmth enveloping me. I didn’t notice I was that cold. I nod my thanks, pulling the jacket closer around me, enjoying the comfort provided.

“You must also be hungry.”

“I don’t want to bother you.”

“You’re no bother. And I can’t just turn a blind eye like this.” He says as he digs out a sandwich from his satchel. My mouth salivates at the sight but I try not to show it. I couldn’t just take things from this random, kind stranger. He smiles warmly as he offers the meal. “My mother taught me to be courteous to everyone. Treat people the way you’d want people to treat you.” He explains, extending his hand a bit more.

My stomach rumbles quietly, hands itching to snatch the food from him. I remind myself not to act like a wild animal and hold up both my hands, gesturing for him to take it back. “You need to eat too.”

“I’ll survive.” He grins, grabbing my wrist firmly to place the sandwich in my hand.

“I can’t take this,” I say stubbornly. My stomach growls in protest, but I ignore it, pushing the sandwich back to the man. He chuckles, lifting the sandwich from my hand and carefully tore it in half, paper and all. He offers one of the halves, grinning cheekily.

“We both have half then. Eat up, before something else snatches that away.” My stomach rumbles in agreement and I thank him again.

The sandwich wasn’t anything special, but I savoured the meal like it was the best I’ve ever tasted. I don’t think it will completely satiate the hunger but at least there was something solid in my stomach.

“You know, back in my town, it’s a pretty peaceful place. It’s small, nothing like the big cities where there’s always a shop at every turn, but we have just about everything anyone would need.” He starts conversationally. His voice, now that I’m taking the time to really listen, has a very mellow timbre. It was very nice listening to him, almost hypnotizing with the way he focused on me and not have his eyes wandering everywhere else. He had an easy smile on him too, and a little dimple in one cheek that showed with the faintest of effort. “A little bakery that made the best pieces of bread- that loaf I used was from them- softest, almost spongy like. I don’t know how they do it! Sometimes merchants come by to town so there’s always something a bit.. exotic if you’ve got a few coins to spare.”

“Sounds like a very quaint place.”

“Very much.” A fond smile softens his features. “It's home.”

Home. I wonder what home was like for me? Looking at the clothes I have I think I might have come from a humble place. I certainly wouldn’t mind the invading thought of having a sit by the fire, toasting myself up bundled up with a warm blanket. Maybe I had someone sitting next to me, silently enjoying the company and just being happy to be together.

My chest throbs. I place a hand against my chest and rub the spot. I can’t put a face to the warmth of a companion and can’t help but think I’m missing someone.

“Where are you heading to anyway?” He asks, breaking my train of thought. He’s finished his half of the sandwich and is dusting off his shirt from the bits of bread crumbs. I shove the last piece of the sandwich into my mouth and chew as quickly as I can, clapping my hands off the crumbs.

“Just- just trying to get out of this place, I guess.”

“You know you just came from one exit, right?” He asks pointing to the direction I had been running from. “If you’re lost, I can take you to my town. It’s in the same way you came in, a bit far, but I’ve got a crate. If you can wait for me to gather my traps we could head back.”

“I don’t want to hassle you more than I already have.”

“It’s no hassle. Really. I’ve actually been lucky enough to shoot a wild boar not long after I started. That’s already a pretty good haul. I don’t mind.”

“Thank you, but” I sigh. Looking to the other side of the trail I feel that pull again, a little more urgently. It’s going to keep bugging me if I don’t follow. And besides, I don’t want to cross paths with that man again. “I actually need to get to the other exit. I... don't have a proper explanation as to why.. I just, I don’t want to go back that way.” I repress a shiver as I point to the direction I came from. The man, with his creepy grin, his hypnotizing green-yellow eyes, and the murderous feeling I got from him makes my stomach lurch.

“Definitely not going back there.” I glance at his confused face and wave my hands around to tell him to forget what I said. “It’s complicated. It’ll only confuse you. Hell, I’m pretty confused myself. I have no idea where I am and… and anything really, except that I need to get to the other side and-“

“You’re rambling.” He points out with a chuckle and I clamp my mouth shut. Have I always been like this? I feel like I’m not normally, but at the same time, maybe I am?

“Yeah. I guess I am. Sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s charming.” He seems to catch himself late and he coughs and straightens out his clothes. “Anyway, that’s a long way, miss. Not impossible to walk, but definitely too far and possibly dangerous with the wild boars wandering around.”

Hairy pigs with tusks pop into my mind and I grimace. “I was afraid you’d say that.”

“Hey, tell you what. Help me gather my traps and I’ll take you to the other end.”

I stare at him cautiously. “Are you serious? You’re just going to offer a random stranger a lift?”

“Oh, well.” He dusts off his right hand and juts it out. I look at him strangely, but he responds with a grin. “I’m Jiyong. You are?”

“Uh… I’m..” What is my name? Since I woke, I haven’t chanced upon anyone sane to properly talk to before Jiyong that it had completely flown over my head. Surely I must have one, but I can’t seem to bring it up to the front of my mind. “I think I might have hit my head hard... I can’t remember my name.”

He looks me over skeptically. I shrug my shoulder. “Honest. I don't... I can't remember. My head feels... off. Like... I can't properly explain it. It feels all foggy and heavy and... I don't know.”

“Maybe you should postpone going wherever it is you’re going,” Jiyong says, nodding his head towards the other way, a look of concern on his face. “There’s a doctor back in the town. He’s pretty good at his craft and-”

“No.” I shake my head, pointing to the direction I needed to go. “I need to go that way. I can’t explain why, but I just need to.”

“Amnesia is a pretty serious side-effect,” he starts again but I shake my head even harder. I must seem like a petulant child by now, but the pull is coming stronger than ever. And that... thing.

“I’m not going back that way.” There was no way I was heading back there. You couldn’t bribe me enough with anything to go back. “I have to go.” I stand, shedding off the warm jacket that I was just getting comfortable in. I look down at it, grimacing now that I have to part with it. “It was nice meeting you.”

“Hey, hold on.” He grabs me by my wrist. I glare right back up at him but the irritation washes away when he lets go and puts proper distance between us, hands up in the air to show he meant no malice. “I didn’t say I wouldn’t take you there. I just thought it would be better to get checked up first. But if you’re in that much of a hurry… I can’t stop you, but I can help.”