Ch.3

A Path With No Destination
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Doyeon's POV

 

I walk down the halls with my hands in pocket ignoring everyone's existence as normal. Some call me rude or cold, but I'm neither I'm just uninterested in them. Because of my so-called aura not many people tend to approach me. All of the sudden I feel this small person latch onto me and my cold aura suddenly disappears. "Doyeon-ah let's go to the cafeteria." the familiar voice says to me as she intertwined our arms. I look down and smile at her softly "Sure, I'll pay today." 

 

Yoojung and I began to develop this kind of relationship where we're close but I never crossed any lines, I showed my wounds but refused to let her heal them. I had a fear of letting her in too much, to a point where if she leaves I'll be nothing. In my perspective it seemed like everything meant nothing as time passed. 

 

I came home after a long day of school and immediately made my way to my bed. Every time I entered the empty apartment I couldn't help but pity myself, I couldn't remember the last time someone greeted me as I walked through the front door. I just know that it used to be my mother's job, suddenly my phone started ringing, interrupting my self loathing session. I picked it up without looking at the called ID and answered it with a lazy "Hello." "Doyeon this is your father's assistant speaking please meet at the Red Ocean restaurant tomorrow night at 6:00 pm." I mentally groaned knowing that my father wanted to see me again, but I of course wanted to know the reason "What does he need from me now?" "He needs you to be there as he negotiates a new potential business partnership." I chuckled sarcastically "You don't have to lie to me I know it's another possible arranged marriage." The assistant paused for a brief moment and then answered back "Well at least you know to wear something nice. See you there tomorrow Ms. Kim." 

 

After that phone call I felt even more irritable. I decided I that some fresh air would do me some good so I put on a hoodie and some sweats pants, then jogged down to the nearest convenience store. I bought a soda and sat on the swings in a nearby park. It was pitch black all around me so I could see the stars clearly, "These were some of the only moments I could feel at ease." I thought to myself. All of the sudden I heard some metal clank against the sidewalk so I looked up to discover a short woman on the floor with what looked to be her groceries scattered all around her. All though I wasn't in the best mood I decided to get up and help her, I kneeled down in front of her and asked if she was alright. The small woman was holding her knee and replied "I'm fine, I can be so clumsy sometimes though." I immediately recognized the voice and tried to see her face "Yoojung is that you?" She popped her head up and said "Doyeon?" I chuckled when I saw her shocked expression and began to smile widely "What are you doing here this convenience store is way too far from your house?" "I could ask you the same thing don't you live on the same side of town as me?" I suddenly remembered how I had told her I lived near her so she wouldn't feel guilty about me walking her home "I uh" I couldn't think of a good excuse so I decided to try and quickly change the subject "That's not important, the real question is how are you going to get home the buses are closed and you can't walk." Yoojung pouted and said "Could you just carry me again?" Although she was giving me some good puppy eyes I knew I didn't have the energy so I replied "I'll just have to carry you to my house." Then I began to pick up the scattered groceries, as I was bagging them Yoojung questioned "Wouldn't that be the same thing it's too far isn't it?" I gave her the grocery bag and said "Just hop on you'll be surprised how close it is." I got to my apartment in about 5 minutes, once I got in the apartment i set Yoojung down on the couch. I saw her look around with curiosity, then she focused on me "Why did you tell me that you live near me? This is definitely not close by." I was slightly embarrassed, so I tried not to face her "Well I didn't want you to feel bad when I walk you home." She giggled and changed the subject "Your apartment is nice though, do you live here alone?" "Yea sadly." I replied She looked at me with pity in her eyes "Where are your parents?" "I chose to live away from my father, he can be suffocating." "Well then what about your mother?" Yoojung inquires "She died a couple of years ago." I replied with a sad smile on my face. I looked over at Yoojung who still had a strong sense of sadness on her face, however I hated it when people pitied me. I was okay with the fact that people despised me yet I couldn't stand the feeling of someone pitying me. In a last ditch effort to change the subject, I shot up from the couch and said "I'll bring you some pajamas to change into, wait right here." As I walked away from the couch Yoojung blurted "Why do you always show me your wounds but never let me heal them Doyeon?" I thought about ignoring her prying like I usually do but decided to do otherwise "Because to me people come and go." I tried to continue walking but Yoojung quickly sprinted over to me and locked me in a back hug, she rested her head on my back and said "I'll never leave your side." My heart began beating like a drum "I don't like promises, they're not meant to be kept." I tried to break free from her hug but she just ended up gripping me harder "I don't care I promise to heal your heart and to never leave your side."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter