A Friendly Rivalry

The Masked Dancer

 

 

Sweat ran down your forehead as you confidently made your way towards the center of the area. The speakers were blasted up to its maximum level. The sounds of the people’s voices and the loud music were heard in every corner of the streets.

You were followed by a man wearing a wife beater, black pants, supra shoes, and a varsity jacket wrapped around his waist. He stood up beside you and coolly smirked. “We’ll surely win.”

You smirked back at him, then, you looked at your group.

A tall, slender girl stood between you and the man beside you. She was the judge for the night’s street dance showdown.

 She held your left hand and his right hand.

The opponent group lowered down their heads as they prayed for their triumph.

You sighed hard and looked at the man beside you, who was Hoya, the face of your rival group, Venom.

“Good luck.” You closed your eyes.

The judge faced the crowd and swiftly raised your hand as a sign of victory. The crowd went wild and yelled their cheers for the group who won that night; your dance group, Dynamite.

When you heard the crowd yelling out the name of your group, you opened your eyes and witnessed your co-members, hugging each other.

“We won!” You gasped, then, you ran to your members and all of you had a group hug.

“We did our best, hyung.” Changjo, a member and maknae of the group of Venom, approached Hoya who was still at the center of the stage, looking at you.

Hyoyeon, who is considered as the “mother” of the group Dynamite, walked towards Eunhyuk, the leader of the rival group.

“Nice game.” She patted his back and bowed at him. “Congratulations.” Eunhyuk smiled at her and bowed.

Yunho noticed the two. He quickly ran towards Hyoyeon and snuck his arm around her waist. “Excuse us.” He glared at Eunhyuk and walked away with her. Hyoyeon looked back.

Just as when the two of them got farther from Venom, she released Yunho’s arm on her waist.

“Why did you do that? I was just trying to be nice to our rival group.” She stood up in front of Yunho.

“Because I don’t want any interactions between you and that dude. Don’t make me jealous.” He snickered.

“Stop that, oppa.” Hyoyeon playfully punched his arms and laughed.

Then, she raised her head and looked from a distance at Min, the ‘mother’ of Venom. Min showed a ‘thumbs-up’ sign to her. Hyoyeon smiled.

Minwoo, the maknae of your group, hopped at the center and claimed the prize. He swayed the envelope in the air and cheered. A girl from the rival group came close to him and bowed.

“Congratulations!” She was Eunkyo, the sister of Venom’s leader. Minwoo showed his cute smile and bowed at her. “Thank you! I’ll be looking forward to our next battle!”

You and your best friend, who is also your co-member, Ukwon, jumped and hugged each other.

Hoya, being a meanie, cleared his throat and poked your shoulder.

“Hey.” He raised his head. You released yourself from Ukwon’s arms for a while and faced Hoya.

“Well, we won-” You crossed your arms.

He blew air through his nose. “-thanks to me. If I didn’t commit a mistake on purpose, your group will lose again. Haha. Yes, I did that ON PURPOSE.”

“Are you crazy?” Ukwon yelled at him.

“Yeah. I did that for you, Hyewon. I know how much you want your group to win. After all, my group has won 3 consecutive times versus Dynamite, already. So, I think I should give you a chance.”

He said with a cocky, arrogant tone.

“Shut up, Lee Howon.” You narrowed your eyes and glared fiercely at him.

“I love you too, Jung Hyewon.” He winked, then, he walked towards his groupmates.

Ukwon blinked. “He’s crazy.”

You looked at him and smiled. “Don’t mind him. Let’s go to Hyo eomma.”

You held Ukwon’s hand and walked towards Hyoyeon. Suddenly, you laid your eyes on a member of the rival group as he hugged his co-members and cheered them up with his bright, charming smile.

It was Dongwoo, your childhood crush who happens to be Hoya’s best friend.

You felt your knees trembled at the sight of him.

“Why does he have to be so damn cute?” you squealed inside your head.

Dongwoo noticed you, looking at him. He ran towards you and bowed. “Congrats for winning! You deserve it. You’re amazing.” He showed you his charismatic eye-smile.

You stuttered. “A-ahh, t-thank you, Dongwoo-ssi. Thank you.”

Hoya bawled at him. “Hey!”

“Oh, gotta go! Good bye Hyewon-ssi. ‘Till the next battle!” He gently patted your shoulders and ran back to s.

You didn’t notice yourself smiling like crazy while staring at him.

“Yo, unnie!” your co-member, Minzy, snapped.

“Oh, hey.”

“I knew where you’re looking at. Hmm. Venom’s JANG DONGWOO, right?” she teased you.

“Ah, no! I’m not looking at him. I'm not.” You shook your head.

“Haha! Whatever, unnie! Come on, let’s go! Yunho appa is waiting for us.” She reached for your hand, then, the two of you walked away from the crowd.

You looked back at Dongwoo and felt your heart flutter.