We Meet Again

At The First Second of Dawn

The next few days went by quickly as Min got occupied with her work. She got a new client and she had to rush for submission for their poster project that weekend. Surviving in the competitive industry was not easy because you needed connections to survive. Thanks to Ae Ra, whose father is the CEO of one of the biggest enterprises in Korea, Min managed a few projects for the company’s advertisements and posters and ended up clinching a few other projects for other companies as well due to her little talent.

 

Ae Ra, to Min, was more than just an old friend. Not only did they grow up together, they shared their dreams and aspirations with each other.

Ae Ra was the kind of pretty girl that would make heads turn in school. She was loud and confident. Adding on, being someone from a rich background, Ae Ra always had people flocking around her in school, trying to get into her good books. She had nothing to worry as she was born with a silver spoon. She had the world on a silver platter.

 

Min had always wondered what did she do to deserve such a good friend like Ae Ra. She had every reason not to accept her, what’s more adding Min into her clique. Being quiet and introverted in nature, Min loved to draw and write Haiku poems whenever she had time while Ae Ra likes shopping and adventures. The both of them were worlds apart and yet they became an inseparable duo.

 

Ae Ra was the reason how Min managed to fulfill her dreams and she was always grateful for that. But their friendship turned had been rocky for the past 6 months, ever since Ae Ra got the job of being an air stewardess. Ae Ra was an outgoing girl but she became wilder as the months went by. Min was afraid her friend would be let astray.

 

Ae Ra met her boyfriend Hans, from their cabin crew. They had too much drinks one night at Tokyo and got Ae Ra pregnant. The thought of being a mother, or worse a single-mother should Hans chicken out, at such a young age terrified Ae Ra, leading her to resort to abortion as the only option. Min was strongly against the idea and persuaded to talk things out. Being a stubborn lady, Ae ra was not receptive and they both ended up quarreling at Ae Ra’s home one day. She had unfortunately slipped from her stairs while rushing out to the gynae clinic which landed her in the ER instead. When Hans learn of Ae Ra’s accident he begged for her to tell him the truth but she kept mum about it. It was a few months later when Hans approached Min again only to leave her with no choice but to tell him that that fateful accident was not just a slip but a miscarriage.

 

 

Ae Ra was furious when she knew her best friend had broken the promise. Min was apologetic but she thought it was only fair for the unborn baby’s father to know of the truth. No matter what she say now is invalid because she had indeed broken her friend’s trust and there was nobody to blame but herself.

 

~ ~ ~

 

It was 10:43PM and Min was finally done with her designs. Stretching from the work desk, Min let out a little groan and sigh. Just then her stomach rumbled, reminding her she has not had any food since evening. Grabbing her wallet and phone, Min decided to grab some food at the 24 hours mart a few blocks down her apartment. The air was surprisingly a little chilly that night and she wrapped her arms around herself, regretting not bringing a jacket along earlier.

 

Picking up a packet of sandwich and a bottle of fresh milk, Min found herself a window high seat after purchasing it at the counter. Just then, the bells on the door rang, indicating the arrival of a new customer.

 

“Hey,” a familiar voice spoke.

 

Looking up to where a figure was standing, Nam Joon was flashing her his signature dimple smile.

 

“Oh hey Nam Joon! Why are you here?”

 

“Have you forgotten, I work a street away from here,” he chuckled. “Some late night supper aye?” Nam Joon was looking at her food.

 

“Ah um... I skipped dinner.”

 

“Mind if I take a seat?” Nam Joon asked, tilting his head at the empty seat beside hers.

 

Nodding her head, he sat down and began opening up the wrapper of his Onigiri. They two started small talks and soon ended up feeling much closer already. After the meal, they decided to head down to the Han River, which was located15 minutes walk away.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

“Wow, I’ve always wanted to stroll along the Han River ever since I moved to this apartment,” Min exclaimed.

 

“Really? Then you should come here more often. Its really relaxing!” Nam Joon said, spreading his arms wide. The night breeze gently caressing their faces, bringing away all the stress and worries in their mind.

 

“Yeah I think I will from now on. Don’t know what took me so long,” she beamed.

 

“But don’t come here alone when its too late,” his spoke, voice a tinge lower than usual.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because its dangerous and I would be worried.”