Call

Ocean

Matthew walked out of the bathroom to join Jiwoo but was stopped by her voice yelling at someone. She was probably on the phone.

 

“What do you want,” she asked roughly.

Silence.

 

“I'm not going to do that,” she paused. “Because it isn't my obligation! You screwed yourself up, do not remember that I am your sister just when you need something!” 

 

Matthew stepped back, he debated himself between going back or staying, he knew eavesdropping was wrong, but he was way too curious.

 

“Stop it!” She screamed. “I have done everything I could on my own and you know it, I wasn't playing and it wasn't just some stupid dream, it was real and now here I am! More successful that you would ever be! You're trying to take advantage of my achievements but still dare to critique the path I've walked! You're not congruent... Go ahead, tell mom like some small child, I was intending on doing it myself.”

 

More silence and then the coldest reply he ever heard from her. 

 

“Stop it,” she said separating every syllable. “This was your way of getting what you want? Fine. I will give you the money but that's the last thing I will do for you and you will not call me again.”

 

She stopped talking and Matthew thought it was the right time to step in, but her voice calling for someone else made him stay quiet.

 

“Mom,” she started. “Yes, I'm fine,” she chuckled. “Matthew is not my boyfriend, you know it... yes I'll be glad to have you here again,” he heard her sigh. “Hey... your son called, he needs help again... it's not my obligation to help him! It's your son, not mine. I've already told him I will lend him money, but that's all I will do, I don't want to hear about him ever again... it doesn't matter that he is my brother, we've never been close and we will never be. I just wanted to tell you what really happened before he makes up some lie. Goodbye and good luck, mother.”

 

Matthew made his appearance in the living room, he had doubts, he was curious, but he decided that perhaps it was not the best time to start thinking about what had happened. So he didn't say anything when he saw her sitting where he had left her, her so face calm, that if he had not heard the conversation he would not have noticed that something had happened.

 

“Can we continue?” She asked and he nodded. 

 

So she pressed the play button. But he didn't pay attention the rest of the movie. 

 

He was wondering why that reaction from her while talking to her mom and who he guessed was her brother. She didn't talk about her brother, so he had learned that they weren't close; but with her mom she seemed to have a really good relationship, after all she had let him see that small glimpse of her life. And she never mentioned other members of her family. 

 

He realised her life wasn't as perfect as she painted it. She probably had had family problems in the past and although she seemed to have left them behind, they would always have relevance in her life, whether she wanted it or not.