Flashback 1

Heartbreak Awaits

Her eyes fluttered open as she squints her eyes looking at the sun rays coming in from the floor to ceiling windows, the chiffon white curtains blocking most of them. A lazy smile spread across her face as she felt someone breathing in the nape of her neck, their arm wrapped around her waist and his bare chest pressed on her back.
She turned around, facing him. Her smile widened at the way he pout as he slept trying to nuzzle into her more. She didn't get to wake up next to him often, she was glad he stayed and didn't rush back like he usually did. She noticed the bags under his eyes, though not prominent, thanks to the skincare routines, they were still there, they were something only she got to see. But among all that, a faint unconscious ever-present smile on his face. 
This was Taemin, her Taemin. he showed her his scars, listened to everything she had to say, wiped her tears and hugged her when she was scared. She hid in his arms, from the lights, the people, the cameras, from herself. And he accepted it all, always with a smile.
She brought her fingers to his face, tracing his forehead, running her finger down the bridge of his nose, tracing his jaw and lips. He frowned in his sleep, his pout deepened and she silently chuckled, she got out of the bed,  releasing herself from his grip. She walked towards the huge windows, buttoning a few more buttons of the oversized white shirt she wore, it was obviously his.
She pulled the curtains apart letting the sun rays hitting her and illuminate the room. She could see the busy Tokyo city going about its day. It was an ordinary routine day for the universe, and she could only wish that she woke up like this every morning.
She turned around and saw Taemin facing the other side, probably because of the light. She walked over to the mini-kitchen in the hotel room and set a coffee to brew. She headed to the bathroom, brushing her teeth, trying to count how many marks she'll have to cover when she heads to the airport later. 
7. She counted. Her coffee was ready and she plopped in front of the huge window, sipping her coffee as she admired the busy city, people running rushing to work, students lazily walking and cars rushing past. Naeun had three more hours before she'd have to leave for the airport and Taemin would to going to his rehearsals for his fourth solo concert in Japan.
She suddenly felt Taemin wrap his arms around her and resting his chin on her shoulder, sitting behind her. She turned around and saw Taemin with his eyes closed, still shirtless, almost dozing off with his head rested on the side of hers.
She giggled and ruffled his hair, "wake up, big boy." She said. All she got in return was a complaining moan. He rested his head on her shoulder to block the rays, looking down. "Too bright." He said, in his hoarse morning voice. She leaned into him further. "Coffee?"
"No. Let's stay like this." He raised his head, pecking her shoulder and resting his chin on her shoulder again, looking at the city with her. She smiled placing the cup down and resting her hands on top of his.
"Can't you stay?" he whispered. She was dumbfounded for a moment, times like this made it difficult for her to not give into his requests. "You know I can't…" she trailed, not wanting to give him the explanation he already knew.
"I do." he sighed, holding on to her tighter.
They stayed quiet after that, it wasn't awkward, it was just way too perfect to be disturbed.
"What are you thinking about?" he started again.
She leaned back into him resting her head on his shoulder, "I'm thinking about you, about you and about time."
"Time?" he asked, not looking at her as she looked at him. 
She stayed quiet for an extended second.
"You won't slip away from me, will you?" she whispered, so low it seemed the words were only for him to hear.
He looked down at her, he could see it, the fear in her eyes and the slight tremble in her words. He smiled at her, "Where would I go?" he whispered back, taking her lips into his.

That was the last happy memory Naeun had of them. She wondered what they must’ve done in the other two hours that she had with him. She didn’t remember what they’d eaten for breakfast, or how many times they kissed. She didn’t remember what he’d said to her before she left for the airport.
She couldn’t count how many times she’d wished that she did. She thought it was another one of their extraordinary ordinary meetings. If only she knew better, she’d have memorized every bit of it. Sometimes she felt relieved that she didn’t remember. Other times she’d give everything to live that moment once again. She should have told him that she’d stay, hold on to him forever so he wouldn’t slip away. 

But he did.


Tears welled up in Naeun's eyes. Her quiet sobs echoed in her bathroom when the doorbell rang.

Ding Dong!