Kaisoo Staying Afloat

Staying Afloat


 

Kyungsoo hates being scared, and he never understands people who are fascinated with horror. Why on earth would someone pay to be scared?

 

It seems like a waste to Kyungsoo. And the worst for him is when people fantasize about being thrown into real life horror situations. A creaking of the floorboards in the night. Being lost in a dark forest. Someone following them home. He thinks those types of people have some serious brain damage to fantasize about something so fundamentally not enjoyable.

 

And yet despite all this, Kyungsoo’s laying in bed at night eagerly anticipating the creak of his bedroom window sliding open. It’s all he can think about, and as much as he hates to admit it, Kyungsoo often catches himself fantasizing about his window being opened in the night and a silhouette appearing, black against the light of the fading moon. Yeah, he’s one of the people with serious brain damage.

 

Kyungsoo glances at the digital clock beside him and frowns. It’s 2:00 a.m already, usually he’s back by now. Pictures start forming in his mind of what could possibly be causing the delay.  Kyungsoo shuts his eyes tight, trying to rid himself of the harrowing images. He knows there’s no point worrying like this. Baseless speculation has no place on an operating table and Kyungsoo believes that to be a truth in life also. In the same way that it’s futile to perform surgery without a diagnosis, it’s also useless to worry without a specific reason. This night shouldn’t be any different than any other night. Although he usually returnes by midnight, there’s been a couple of times when he had unexpectedly showed up later. Kyungsoo has no reason to worry. But he still does. It’s in his nature.

 

And suddenly his worries are dispersed as he hears the telltale creak of his bedroom window being slid open. Suddenly fully awake, Kyungsoo swings his feet over the side of his bed and flicks his lamp on. Blinded by the sudden light, he squints for a bit before his eyes fully adjust and he can make out the outline of his boyfriend leaning against the window grinning.

 

“You should sleep without pants more often.”

 

“And maybe you should come home more often.”

 

Jongin chuckles. “Come on baby, you know you like it.” He makes his way to Kyungsoo slowly. The light begins to illuminate Jongin’s face and Kyungsoo lets out a little gasp. Jongin’s face’s covered in cuts, and he has a nasty gash across his cheek. His eyes are both bruised and his lip is bleeding. Kyungsoo doesn’t want to think of what sort of injuries Jongin is hiding under his clothing.

 

“You like the mystery, the danger. Makes the great doesn’t it?” Jongin says, and under different circumstfances Kyungsoo  might’ve felt himself get hot at his boyfriend’s husky voice. But the only thing on his mind is how much pain Jongin must be in.

 

“I like when my boyfriend is alive.” Kyungsoo says, concernedly beginning to peel of Jongin’s leather jacket. He feels Jongin’s hands grab onto his, pushing them off his shoulders.

 

“Don’t.” Jongin states. Kyungsoo’s frowns, his eyebrows etched in worry. No matter how bad it is, Jongin always lets Kyungsoo treat him. Why not this time? Suddenly Kyungsoo is reminded of his basic principle: “it’s useless to worry without a specific reason.” Kyungsoo gulps nervously, now desperately wanting to see what Jongin is hiding.

 

Jongin reaches up to straighten Kyungsoo’s creased eyebrows. Kyungsoo is pulled out of his worry and he meets his boyfriend’s eyes. Jongin smiles. “Always worrying aren’t ya Soo? Why don’t you try smiling for once, it’ll do you some good.” Jongin plants a small kiss on Kyungsoo’s forehead and then slips past him into the kitchen. “Do we have any peanut butter left?”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows fall once again into a concerned pattern and he follows Jongin into the kitchen flicking on a light switch. He widens his eyes. It was hard to tell before, but it’s clear this is the worst condition Jongin has been in. His pants are torn up and his walk has become a wobble because of what Kyungsoo guesses to be a severe injury around his right foot. But his chest looks the worst. The leather jacket does nothing to cover up a huge blood stain from his right shoulder down to his left hip. Jongin notices Kyungsoo’s look and he sighs.

 

“Show me.” Kyungsoo demands.  

 

“It’s really not that bad Soo.”

 

“I said, show me.” Kyungsoo repeats, his fists clenched in anger. He points to the couch beside him, and Jongin grudgingly makes his way over. He tries his best to hide how much pain he is in but it is revealed in short groans with each step. He hates seeing Kyungsoo worried, and he also hates how he’s always the cause of the worry.

 

Jongin attempts to slowly sit down on the couch, however he immediately loses his balance and nearly crashes into the coffee table. Kyungsoo rushes forward gently laying him down on the soft fabric. “Don’t move.” He commands, and he goes to retrieve his medical supplies.

 

“I’ll try not to.” Jongin calls out, arranging himself into a more comfortable position on the couch. He sighs, waiting for the comment that always comes.

 

“I wish you’d just quit.” Kyungsoo says, and Jongin nods.

 

“There it is, the classic Soo wish!”

 

“I’m being serious Jongin!” Kyungsoo responds. Jongin raises his arms and Kyungsoo pulls his leather jacket off, revealing a few scratches and bruises on his arms, not nearly as bad as what Kyungsoo is worried he’ll see.

 

“You know what’ll happen if I quit. These guys, they don’t play around Soo.” Jongin says. “You should know that better than anyone.” He adds, and Kyungsoo sighs.

 

“I know. I just… I’m sorry for bringing it up. You’re right, I knew what I was getting into.”

 

“Come here.” Jongin wraps his arms around Kyungsoo’s neck, pulling him close for a kiss. It’s soft and gentle, and it makes Kyungsoo feel a little better. Just a little. Their lips part, and Jongin smiles. “Nothing’s gonna happen to me because that would just worry you even more, and we can’t have that, can we?” He asks, brushing his thumb against Kyungsoo’s beautiful lips.

 

“Idiot… Why are you worried about me?” Kyungsoo mumbles, looking down.
 

“You’re so cute…” Jongin tucks a few strands of Kyungsoo’s hair behind his ear. “Alright, so what’s happening here? You gonna keep me on the edge without undressing me?” Jongin adds teasingly, and Kyungsoo giggles. He takes a deep breath calming himself down and starts to peel off Jongin’s sweat and blood soaked tank top. His breath hitches at what he sees, and his eyes start to well up at the sight of his boyfriend’s injuries. He feels Jongin’s hand grab onto his, their fingers interlacing. Kyungsoo glances at Jongin who gives him a smile. A smile so bright it can light up a room, so bright Kyungsoo can’t believe it belongs to a man like Jongin. But whether he believes it or not, it’s true and he considers himself the luckiest man in the world to be with the owner of that smile, no matter the circumstance.

 

When he’s with Jongin, Kyungsoo’s fears melt away and for some reason he’s not scared. And suddenly the idea of watching a horror movie doesn’t seem so bad when he’s holding Jongin’s hand.


 

 


thanks for reading!! promise future chapters will not all be as dark and emotional~!

be prepared for some happier fun stuffs next chapter woohoo

subscribe if you enjoyed or even if you didnt but want to see more, please subscribe!!