Captured

Captured

I have always loved taking pictures, ever since my friend gave me a camera on my sixteenth birthday. Hyejin, Wheein, Yongsun and me were all watching a movie with rainbow rice cake blankets draped over us when she suddenly loudly put her tteokbokki down to take a package out of her backpack. She excitedly handed it over to me with sparkling eyes, clearly looking forward to my reaction. I took the heavy package wrapped in pink paper and opened it, finding an old camera inside.

"It's not much but.. I found this a while ago when playing with Jjingjjing and I thought you might like it, happy birthday Moonfart!" She exclaimed.

I couldn't help but smile at her being all excited about this, and ofcourse I was happy with the present itself too.

"That's great unnie, now you have something to take pics with of those girls that you are always staring at during lunch!" Wheein said, making Hyejin snicker resulting in receiving a jab in her side from Yongsun.

"Even though that sounds great I don't think I'm going to do that, I'll make good use of it, thanks Yeba." Yongsun leaned back against the couch, satisfied after seeing that her gift was well-received.

 

2 years later, after saving up some cash at my part-time job, I finally bought a professional camera after not being satisfied with the quality of the older camera that Yongsun gave me anymore. The older camera had a special feeling to it, and the fact that it was given to me by my best friend made it even more special, but seeing as I wanted to become a professional photographer this was necessary at some point. Normally I wouldn't have been able to change my course to photography, but after showing some of my favorite pictures to my teacher she made an exception. Going to a school where I was able to follow photography was pretty expensive thanks to all the material I needed and how far it was from home, but my parents always supported me and happily paid for it, knowing how much I wanted this. Sadly going to a different school meant being separated from my friends, but we promised to stay in touch. We occasionally met at some cafes or went to a karaoke place, but that eventually faded away as Wheein started getting busier as an artist, Hwasa became a singer and barely had any free time, and Yongsun.. Who knows what she's been up to.

Despite missing my friends I still had a goal to become a professional photographer, and my love for taking pictures helped me move on. I graduated after some years which felt like they had passed in a flash. My name was pretty well known around the country thanks to winning some contests, and getting some small job offers for advertisers and promotional pictures for some companies.

I always loved taking pictures of people the most. The way you're able to capture someones beauty in a picture, something that has no sound or movements, but with the right angle and lighting feels like there's a whole story in just one shot. Every day, I kept thanking the person that started all of this, Yongsun. The person that made me find out what I liked.

One day at the park, a few years ago, when i was testing some things out with the camera she gave me, she suddenly asked me what I liked to take pictures of the most.

"The most.." I said, thinking about my answer. "I don't think there's anything I particularly like the most? I just like to take pictures of things in a special way, a way that changes the way you look at it next time you'll encounter it in real. The thing that's captured on a picture looks so vulnurable and fragile, as if it could break any moment by just looking at it. It's as if the words they can't say out loud are being said in the picture. Their deepest feelings and secrets being laid bare." Clearly not expecting such a serious answer Yongsun just silently looked at me, thoughtful, still processing what I said before suddenly giving me a playful grin.

"Think you can take pictures of me?" She asked, still grinning. I chuckled. "Sure I can." Yongsun started striking a few poses, changing her pose every time she heard the camera shutter sound. She was a real natural for someone that's never done this before, I thought, I bet she'd be good at modelling if she wanted to. Not that I'd tell her that ofcourse.

 

About twenty pictures later or more she stopped posing and smiled. "Was I okay?"

I smiled back at her. "I'd almost think these are promotional pics for an upcoming Pokemon live action movie." I joked, earning a nudge from her for making fun of her signature squirtle smile. Still laughing, I went through the pictures I took, admering her beauty in every single one. She's one of the few things that look equally as amazing in real as on a picture, and that coming from a photographer means a lot.

After looking through some of the pictures in silence she suddenly broke the comfortable silence.

"..And? Do you understand what it says?"

"Sorry, what?" I asked, not understanding the question.

"Ah no, it's nothing, we should go back home since it's already getting late." It's true, I enjoyed taking pictures of her so much that I didn't notice how late it had gotten.

 

My love for taking pictures of people never faded, and eventually led to me applying to a company called Rainbow Bridge World, that I already once worked for when I still was a student, as a model photographer. A few days later I received a mail saying that I got in, my first photoshoot starting on monday. Hyejin and Wheein both congratulated me for reaching my goal after all these years of hard work, but nothing from Yongsun.

I didn't think too much of it, there are several reasons why she wouldn't respond. Maybe she's really busy, or she got a new phone and forgot to give me her contact info, or she has a boyfriend that doesn't like when she spends too much time on her phone. I suddenly get a weird feeling in my stomach. We haven't seen each other in like 6 years, who says she even remembers me.

Deep down I hope she still does.

 

As soon as monday comes these thoughts completely disappear. The thing that I've wanted for so long is finally happening, my sad feelings getting replaced by excitement, but deep down I feel like something's not completely right. Realizing how these feelings are absolutely ridiculous I throw them immediately away. I grab my camera from my desk, making a little stack of photos fall over. As I reach over to collect the pictures again I notice an old picture that I took from Yongsun, a little bit faded out after all these years, from the day I realized that i wanted to make more pictures of people.

Even though I looked at this picture many times, I suddenly noticed something new. Something I never noticed before.

Even though the sun strikes the side of her face, making her look even more beautiful than I thought was possible, almost like an angel, even though she's smiling so widely, there's something sad about the picture, something left unsaid.

 

"And? Do you understand what it says?"

 

I arrive at the company, nervous but excited and curious about what will happen from now on. With a trembling finger I press the button next to the door. A voice sounds from the telecom.

"Welcome at RBW, can I help you?"

"Yes, uhm, my name's Moon ByulYi, the new photographer."

"Come on in." Followed by a buzzing sound, which makes me able to push the door open. I enter the building, immediately being greeted by the staff. "Welcome Byul-sshi! We're happy you decided to enter our company as we've seen great things from you already. Follow me please." A short woman with short hair says, gesturing me to follow her with her hand.

"Normally our photographers do photoshoots of multiple models, but there's someone that has requested you to be their personal photographer, so you'll be sticking with them for some time." Confused, I keep following her, enterring a bright room with several light stands and other photographers, where I get greeted by the other people in the room and someone guides me to where I should stand and start taking pictures. As I put the camera in front of my face I suddenly gasp loudly by impulse, making the other staff in the room look at me confused, earning a smile from the person in front of me.

 

As my finger hesitantly presses the button on the camera taking a picture of the person in the middle of my lens, something shifts inside of me, everything suddenly seems to make sense, the missing puzzle pieces that were deep inside of me finally making me aware of their presence.

I finally understood what the pictures said. What she said.

"I've waited for you." she said softly as I looked at her. I realized that taking pictures of persons wasn't the thing I truly loved. The thing I loved the most. It was capturing one specific person.

But in this case, I wasn't the one to capture them. They captured me, already a long time ago. Or to be specific, they captured my heart.

The girl that was the reason for everything I loved. The girl that I loved.

Kim Yongsun.

- Picture that Moonbyul took -

 


A/N: So! My second story has come to an end, apparently my brain works better at night than at day. I seriously love these beagles, and I'd like to thank them for all the amazing work they did, it's amazing to see how far they have come in such a short time ;w;

Thank you for reading the story! Please comment or send me a message if there's something you guys don't like or about some errors, or if you want to, about the things that you did like. Comments are greatly appreciated~ ^^ Please don't be too mad at Yongsun for not answering Byul all this time, she did it because she waited for Moonbyul to finally understand what she said in the picture. I hope you guys realized what she says in the picture? Or is it too unclear? Well let's just say they're both the missing pieces in each other's life, if u didn't get what she said :')

 

I GOT MY FIRST UPVOTE I'M SO HAPPY *TEARS*