Small Talk

Inexperienced

“You guys are so awkward” Taehyung whisper yells to his best friend, loud enough that Yoongi, who is currently getting a glass of water in their tiny kitchen, can definitely hear him. The black haired male quickly walks back into his room, avoiding eye contact with the two boys on the couch.

“You need to learn when to shut up” Jimin groans into in a pillow.

“What I was whispering,” he says innocently, “but seriously what happened, you two have been avoiding each other like the plague for the past two weeks now. It’s concerning.”

“We’re fine, I promise.” He says dismissively; sipping the drink in his hand as a signal of please drop this topic.

Unfortunately, Kim Taehyung, the king of being oblivious, doesn’t seem to get the message.

“Did he find your um” Taehyung pauses for a moment, dramatically looking around to see if anyone’s listening, despite the fact that the only other person in this apartment clearly left a minute ago, “ collection ?” he whispers, watching as the horror floods on Jimin’s face. “Because I swear if it’s that, I will not hesitate to beat that kid up, no matter how scary he looks, no one judges my best friend over the-” Jimin slaps his hand over Taehyung's mouth, glaring at the boy.

“It isn’t that, please never mention that again.”

“Fine, but if it isn’t that then what is it? You guys were fine, but you’ve somehow managed to downgrade from small talk. How is that even possible? Did he finally discover your undying love for him or something?” Taehyung jokes, expression sobering once he sees the way Jimin’s face pales at the mention. “No. ing. Way. Park Jimin what did you do?”

“First of all I’m not in love with him, he’s attractive, but that’s about as far as it goes” Jimin tries to argue. He’s not lying he isn’t in love with the boy, they barely know each other, but to say he only finds him attractive and nothing else, is a bit of a stretch. “Secondly, I did nothing”

“I find that hard to believe, you aren’t the best at hiding things”

“Okay fine, look we..”

“You…?”

“We kissed okay!”

“What.” Taehyung’s eyes look like they’re about to pop out of his head.

“It’s really nothing.” Jimin reassures.

“You, Park Jimin, the boy who refused to kiss me, your best friend since the womb, because you were waiting for someone special, kissed your roommate?”

He ask in disbelief “As in the roommate who you’ve barely even talked to?”

“Well yes but,”

“ Park Jimin what the actual ”

“ he was the one to kiss me so technically it wasn’t-”

“But did you stop him?”

“...no” Jimin says sheepishly.

“I can’t this is too much to take in, don’t think we’re done here though. We’re discussing this later.” Taehyung grabs all of his things, and storms to the door.

“You’re being so dramatic” Jimin rolls his eyes, Taehyung being too far out the door to hear him.

***

The sound of someone clearing their throat catches Jimin’s attention, causing him to look up from his phone.

“He’s right” Jimin just stares inquisitively at his roommate, waiting for further explanation. “Your friend, what he was saying wasn’t wrong. We’re a mess.” Yoongi finishes.

Jimin just hums in response, seemingly debating whether or not the voice what’s in his head.

After what seems like forever, the younger finally looks up at Yoongi, smile wide.

“We are a mess, but maybe we could start over?” Jimin asks, and when he is met with no rejection from his roommate he continues, “Let’s just forget about what happened” Jimin suggests, missing the slight look of disappointment on his roommate's face, for it’s gone the moment he looks up,”We never really got to know each other anyways. So um, hi I’m Park Jimin.” He says cheerily, extending a hand towards the other.

“I’m Min Yoongi” Yoongi introduces, an amused tint to his eye, as he grasps the extended hand. “Nice to meet you”

“Nice to meet you too” Jimin responds, slightly breathless at the way the elder is staring at him.

“So what is there to know about Park Jimin?”

***

“Wait so he actually told you guys to off?” Jimin asks incredulously.

“Yes, I know you’d think that he’d have a little more self-control, but I guess we were a tad bit annoying”

“But he’s a professor!”

Jimin doesn’t know how long they’ve been talking on the couch, all he knows is that his cheeks are hurting from laughing so much, and he really likes talking to Yoongi.

“I know, that’s what made it so amusing.”

“You guys are awful, the poor guy” Jimin says shaking his head.

“We ended up leaving anyways, because he was so angry at us. None of us were upset though, we just hung out at Joon’s dorm and played video games ‘til three am.” Yoongi smiles fondly at the memory. “So, what’s the worst thing that you’ve ever done in class?”

“I don’t think I have anything to top that to be honest.” Jimin admits, trying to think of anything even remotely bad. “The worst thing I’ve done was probably in third grade when I was dared to pour liquid glue on my classmate's chair,”

“That’s just cruel”

“but I ended feeling so bad that I decided to sit on it so she wouldn’t have to” Jimin cringes at the memory, the feeling of school glue seeping through his uniform pants will haunt him forever.

“You’re joking,” Yoongi cackles, “why didn’t you just clean it off, or like warn her about it.”

“I’m serious; I don’t know I felt like I had to do it I guess.” Jimin leaves out the part about how he was sobbing throughout the entire ordeal because he was so guilty. Yoongi doesn't need to know all the details.

“You’re adorable” Yoongi laughs, only realizing what he said when he sees the flush on the other’s cheeks. “I mean you were adorable, when you were a kid.” Yoongi tries to correct, only to change his mind a second later. “Who am I kidding you’re still adorable”

“You think so?” Jimin says shyly

“Definitely”

“You’re alright, average at best” Jimin says mischievously, snickering at the betrayed expression on Yoongi’s face.

He could get used to this.