Heat Part I

To Love, Honor, and Protect

A/N: A friend suggested recaps when it's been a long time since an update, and while you might want to re-read the last chapter if you can't remember, I thought that was a good idea, so here goes…

Previously on To Love, Honor, and Protect (haha, sounds like a drama)Jan Di spent her day off at the fire station with Ji Hoo and the guys, which included washing and naming the new fire dog, Ember, washing the fire truck, and getting into a little hose battle. After getting soaked, Jan Di agreed to wear Ji Hoo's shirt for the evening. Jan Di gets to know the guys better, and they all have dinner and play cards. Thinking she doesn't know how to play, the guys try to teach Jan Di to bluff in poker, during which Jan Di reveals to Ji Hoo that she likes the smell of his shirt and wants to keep it. Ji Hoo has a little fantasy about Jan Di, and she beats the guys handily almost every round in poker. At the end of the night, Ji Hoo kisses Jan Di on the cheek, and they as good as reveal their feelings for one another during a phone conversation.

***Announcement: January 5th, 2019 was the 10th Anniversary of the air date of "Boys Over Flowers!" In honor of this, I give you an update! I was so close to making it EST USA and made it Central and Pacific Time. A little behind for some other countries, though... Anyway... Happy Anniversary, BOF, and thanks for the good memories, the friends I've made through you, the wonderful characters (especially JanHoo) and storyline, and of course, for all the inspiration to write!***

Update on my other stories: Next will either be GGABB or Open Hearts. No, I haven't forgotten about GGABB, and I know it's been a long time, but I'm trying to wind it down properly and also working on a little love scene with SoEul, so SoEulers should be happy about that. It's my first try with one for them (and I plan to kick it up a notch over what I usually do). I can't say the extent to which I will take it; it is a T fic, but I will try to please. As for Open Hearts, it is further along than GGABB, and I'm really trying to keep up with that one better, so it may end up coming out soon. 

Okay, I hope you all enjoy this chapter…ignore the bad action sequences, oh the woes of research and writing action those, haha! But yeah, I hope it's okay! It's not super descriptive this time, but I hope it still paints a picture.

Disclaimer: I do not own the Boys Over Flowers characters nor Han Dong Geun's song "Amazing You." I had a tough time choosing between two songs for that part in the story, so if you feel so inclined, check out the one I use as well as Suzy's song "I Love You Boy." I think they are both fitting of JanHoo in this.


Chapter Six: Heat Part I

The Next Morning…

Ji Hoo woke to the sound of the fire alarm blaring. A quick look at his clock on the bedside table of his room at the station told him it was 6 AM. Immediately, he jumped out of bed, threw on some pants to accompany his t-shirt, and slid down the pole. He made his way to the turnout gear storage room and to his personal locker unit. Only a couple others had made it there before him.

Ji Hoo grabbed his brown turnout pants and stepped into them, pulling up the attached suspenders and placing them over his arms; he took a seat on the bench and quickly slipped his feet into his black boots. Then he stood, took his coat off the hanger, and threw it on. He grabbed his gloves, breathing apparatus, and helmet from the top shelf of the red rack and rushed out.

As they all piled into the truck, Jae Hyun grumbled, "Ahh, really? Isn't it too early for this? I feel like I just closed my eyes."

"Fire waits for no man, Jae Hyun, and it never sleeps, only breathes, eats, and once we're through with it, dies," Ji Hoo said as he strapped himself into the front passenger seat and finished fastening his coat and securing the velcro.

"Wow, getting deep so early in the morning, Chief?" Yeong Ho commented.

"It comes and goes." Ji Hoo smirked.

"Well, Chief's right, Kid. The beast doesn't care if you've gotten a good night's sleep," Yeong Ho added, turning toward the rookie.

The banter continued for a few minutes until the firefighters arrived at the scene, and once they did, all turned serious and sprung into action. Residents were flooding out of the building, and a small unit of paramedics had been dispatched to the scene, but Jan Di was not with them.

It was a simple Class A fire, confined to a single apartment, but no fire was completely simple or predictable, so Ji Hoo and his team responded swiftly and cautiously. Ji Hoo instructed Do Yun to man the rig like always and also put Sung Jin on the exterior brigade while he led the rest of his engine company inside to perform a primary search, contain, and hopefully quickly extinguish the small fire.

While Ji Hoo, Jung Woo, and Jae Hyun went inside, Do Yun and Sung Jin handled the outside situation...

It wasn't long before Chief Yoon contacted the guys outside via two-way radio to inform that the fire was out. And it was then that a panicked young woman of around twenty years old came running up to the rig.

Sung Jin felt a yank on his sleeve and turned to look. The long-haired woman standing before him was tugging at his coat and trying to breathe.

"Miss, are you alright?"

"Fire...fighter, p-please help! My...my.." She was having difficulty forming words.

He held her by the arms. "Miss, is someone still inside?"

She nodded her head emphatically. "Y-yes, my...my cat!"

Sung Jin looked to Do Yun and then back at the woman. He picked up the radio and was just about to call the chief to tell him this when the interior brigade came out. "Don't worry, Miss," Sung Jin said. And he ran over to the others with the woman trailing at his heels.

"Chief!" Sung Jin called out. The rookie stopped and stood before the chief and the rest of the team.

"What is it, Sung Jin?" Ji Hoo asked.

"We need to go back in right away."

"Is someone still inside?"

"Yes, this lady's...cat."

Ji Hoo looked at the young woman standing directly behind Sung Jin, peeking over his shoulder.

"My apartment is 3B...the one with the fire," the woman spoke up. "I tried to find my cat, but I couldn't see through the smoke. Please, please, can you please save my cat! She's gray and white."

With a nod, Ji Hoo thought about how best to proceed and who to send back inside for the cat. The fire seemed to be extinguished, but they needed to do a secondary search, anyway.

"I'll go, Chief," Sung Jin volunteered.

"Wait," Ji Hoo caught Sung Jin by the arm before he could rush off into the building. "Not alone. I'll go with you," he said.

Before he could suggest it, Jung Woo told his friend, "I'll take care of her." Ji Hoo nodded and told Sung Jin to gear up. And Do Yun called out that the situation here was under control as Ji Hoo and Sung Jin raced in.

Back inside the apartment, the smoke was dissipating, but a thin layer of fog still hung. After a couple minutes of searching for the cat, Sung Jin heard a small cry coming from the bedroom, and he rushed in. The two firefighters looked around the room, in the closet, and finally under the bed. And sure enough, they found the small creature huddled in a back corner. It was crying for help, its plaintive meows coming out in short, strained squeaks.

Together, Sung Jin and Ji Hoo lifted the bed, since they couldn't reach the animal otherwise, and Ji Hoo held the bed in place while Sung Jin quickly snatched up the frightened thing. Once Sung Jin was out from underneath, Ji Hoo put down the bed. And he sent Sung Jin out, holding the soot-covered, ball of matted fur in his arms, while he did a final check.

As he carried the kitten out, the woman came running up to Sung Jin, followed closely by one of the EMTs.

"Oh, kamsahamnida, kamsahamnida, kamsahamnida!" she exclaimed. Sung Jin turned over the kitten, which seemed quite at home in the crook of his arm, to the woman. She eagerly cradled her pet and started nuzzling it with her cheek.

"You might want to take her to a vet to make sure she didn't suffer any damage in there," Sung Jin recommended.

The woman nodded and thanked the rookie again. And holding the kitten in the crook of one arm, she hugged Sung Jin with the other. As she pulled away, she placed a hand on his shoulder and went up on her toes to kiss him on the cheek.

Blushing, Sung Jin placed a hand on his cheek in surprise. "You're...you're welcome," he sheepishly said.

He was earning all kinds of looks from the other firefighters, but that was put on hold when the EMT spoke. "We need to take her to the hospital to be checked out," the EMT said. "She wouldn't go until she got her cat."

Sung Jin nodded and looked seriously into the woman's eyes. "Will you go now?"

She nodded. "But what about my cat? They won't let me take her there."

Sung Jin thought for a moment. "Is someone with you that can look after your cat in the meantime?"

"My mother, I suppose. She's on her way…"

"You should really go to the hospital now," the EMT interjected. "Your mother can meet you there."

The woman's eyes darted back and forth as if she was concerned about this. But then, Sung Jin chimed in. "I could go with you and watch your cat until your mother arrives," he suggested.

This option seemed to please the woman. "That would mean so much to me! And I'm so sorry for all the trouble. The fire...and now this…" She looked down at the ground, and Sung Jin placed a hand on her arm. "No need to apologize. It's all part of the job."

The woman's eyes were still lowered when Sung Jin looked at Jung Woo, silently asking him for permission to go along with her. Jung Woo was in charge, after all, since the chief wasn't back yet. The assistant chief subtly smirked at the younger man and then sighed. "Go on. I don't think the chief will mind. Just get a cab back to the station as soon as you're done." He waved him off with a hand, and Sung Jin smiled brightly before leaving with the woman and the EMT.

Ji Hoo came out a couple minutes later and met up with Jan Di's second-in-command, Hyeon-U, and the apartment building manager. When he returned to his group, he immediately looked all around. "Where's Sung Jin?" Ji Hoo asked, beginning to worry.

"Him? Oh, he's cat-sitting right now, but he promises to get back to the station as quickly as possible," Jung Woo informed in a sarcastic tone.

"What?" Ji Hoo asked.

Jung Woo explained as they all packed up their gear and got into the truck.

On the ride back, most of the firefighters were talking and joking about Sung Jin's little crush on the 'cat lady' and how they half-expected him to offer to take in the cat while the woman was in the hospital and how they almost had another pet on their hands.

They all laughed at that last part.

"Well, it's a good thing that wasn't the case because I don't know how well our fire dog would get along with a cat," Ji Hoo interjected.

The guys laughed again.

"I suppose you and I are far too lenient, Jung Woo-ssi..." Ji Hoo sighed. "I would have let him go, too."

Jung Woo nodded, and looking directly at Ji Hoo, said, "You know, this situation does seem all too familiar…"

Ji Hoo pressed his lips together, saying nothing. He wasn't going to feed further into this.

"I guess another man is down," Jung Woo added, this time glancing around the truck. His comment earned another laugh from the group, and once more, Jung Woo's eyes settled on Ji Hoo. "It seems Sung Jin is smitten. Wouldn't you say so, Chief?"

Ji Hoo, again, ignored Jung Woo's sarcastic comment, and he turned his head to look out the window. Friend or no, he'd been letting his second get away with a lot of borderline disrespect lately. But he supposed he felt bad about Jan Di, so he let it slide.

The chief's reaction quieted them all, and the rest of the drive back was silent...


Meanwhile…

It felt entirely too early to be up and about, but Jan Di needed to take Ember to the vet before her shift started, so after showering and dressing in her uniform, she left her apartment around 7 AM. She made a quick stop at a corner bakery for a pastry and coffee, ultimately deciding to get enough pastries for the firefighters, and then she headed to the station.

When Jan Di arrived, it appeared that the fire truck had just pulled into the bay. She walked toward the open door, carrying the white paper bag of pastries in hand. She was hoping to see Chief Yoon but was instead greeted by some of the other guys, who welcomed her out of the apparatus bay and into the station.

"Good morning." Jan Di smiled brightly at them and offered the bag, all the while glancing around the room for Ji Hoo. She didn't see him, but Ember came running in, wagging her tail, and Jan Di bent to pet her.

"You're the best, Captain Geum!" Jae Hyun exclaimed, eagerly taking the bag from her. "We had a fire first thing, so we didn't get to eat breakfast!" A few of the other guys crowded him, all looking hungrily inside the bag and reaching for whatever looked good to them.

The firefighters were in full gear, but some were in the midst of taking their coats off; a few even became distracted by the pastries and dropped their coats temporarily to the floor.

"Yah, don't forget where those go!" Jung Woo, also in full gear, barked as he entered the room.

"Yes, Sunbae!" the offenders exclaimed, and they picked up their coats and rushed to the turnout room.

Jung Woo softened a bit at the sight of Jan Di, but not much, and he approached her. "Good morning, Captain Geum," he said, more formally than usual. "What brings you here?"

He didn't give her time to answer, though, and instead beckoned her to follow. She followed him to to the turnout room, and he started stripping off his gear.

"So, what can I do for you, Captain Geum?" Jung Woo asked while taking off his coat.

"Well, is...Chief Yoon here?"

Do Yun, the second to last one to finish taking off his gear, chimed in. "Of course. He's always here, Captain Geum." To which Jung Woo added, "But as soon as we got in, he got a call from the fire lieutenant."

"I see." Jan Di tried to hide her disappointment by putting on a smile.

Eyeing her closely, "Can I help, instead?" Jung Woo asked. And he proceeded to change his boots.

"Oh, well, I'm here to take Ember to the vet. She has an appointment at 8 at the veterinary clinic on Jong-ro, and I just thought he might want to go along, to get the information." She added the last part, so it didn't sound like she just wanted his company.

"I don't think he'll be done in time, but I could go with you," Jung Woo offered.

"Well…"

"I promise to pass along the information," he said, matter-of-factly.

Although she was disappointed, Jan Di accepted. "Sure, thank you, Jung Woo-ssi." Perhaps this was a good opportunity to tell him how things were...

Jung Woo finished up and suggested they go. They leashed Ember with minimal difficulty and left the station.

Jan Di and Jung Woo walked along in silence for a few minutes while Jan Di decided what to say first; she didn't want to start off with 'I'm not interested in you,' and she had promised Ji Hoo that she'd let him down easy...


After ending the call with the lieutenant, Ji Hoo walked into the day room where the men had all gathered. All but one. "Where's Jung Woo?" he asked.

"Oh, he went with Captain Geum to the vet," Yeong Ho spoke up.

"He did?"

"Yes, Chief," the older firefighter confirmed.

A sigh inadvertently escaped Ji Hoo's lips. "Alright, thanks." A bit dejected, Ji Hoo walked off toward his office.

Yeong Ho looked at the rest of the guys and shrugged. He wasn't quite sure how this burgeoning situation was going to turn out...


The tension between Jan Di and Jung Woo had subsided over a funny yet frustrating struggle with preventing Ember from chasing a squirrel. Jung Woo had been forced to grab the leash, too; it took both of their strength to stop the frisky mutt.

"Your dog certainly is a handful," Jung Woo commented after they got Ember back under control. He chuckled.

"Yeah, I'm quickly realizing that." Jan Di also chuckled. "Good thing she's cute. Cute but a handful."

"My thoughts exactly..." Something about the comment seemed leading, and the way he was looking at her when he said it made Jan Di a bit uncomfortable. She wasn't sure if it was him or the situation, so she just shifted her eyes and stared out ahead.

Taking the hint, Jung Woo moved on. "Soo...," he rubbed the back of his neck, "your dog missed you last night."

"She did?"

"Yeah, as soon as you left she went to the door and stared at it. Then she started pawing at it and barking. After about an hour, she lay down and started whining, so we tried playing with her. Well, that worked for a little while, but she just kept going back to that door and crying." Jung Woo reflected on the noise. "She was making this kind of howl mixed with whimpering noise."

Jan Di was surprised; she hadn't expected the canine to form that kind of bond with her so quickly. "Really?"

"Yeah, none of us thought we'd get any sleep…"

"I'm sorry."

"But then the Chief took her to bed with him."

Jan Di's lips parted. "Really? He...let her in bed with him?"

Jung Woo nodded, watching Jan Di's reaction. She was smiling to herself.

Jan Di felt bad for Ember and for the guys for having to put up with that, but she also found it really sweet that Chief Yoon had done that. She'd missed Ember last night, too, and she was glad that Ji Hoo had taken such good care of her.

They arrived at the clinic moments later, and Jung Woo allowed Jan Di to go in first. She gave her name, and they were both told to have a seat. Jan Di and Jung Woo sat side by side with Ember in the nearly empty clinic. They didn't have to wait long before they were welcomed in by the veterinarian.

The vet gave Ember a thorough checkup and a series of shots. Ember was a big baby about the shots, requiring Jung Woo to hold her down while Jan Di petted her head during. The vet managed to succeed in giving the shots, and he gave the new fire dog a nearly clean bill of health. Jan Di and Jung Woo left the clinic with a bottle of worm medication and a promise that the condition should clear up in about a week.


Walking down the sidewalk, Jan Di turned to Jung Woo and smiled. "Thank you, Jung Woo-ssi. It was really nice of you to come with me. You really helped me out."

He smiled back and stuck his hands in his pockets. "You're welcome." And they continued walking on, both staring out ahead.

. . .

Jan Di hated to get right down to that unpleasant order of business, especially after his help today, but she also hated uncomfortable silences. So, she tried to make small talk. She wasn't very good at that, though, and in the end, she decided to quit being such a coward and just tell him. "There's something I need to say, Jung Woo-ssi."

He looked over at her. "What is it?"

"I'm...sorry," was all that came out.

He knew what she meant, but he asked, anyway. "For what?"

"Well, for...I don't think I can date you."

He nodded, knowingly.

"I think you're a great guy, but you see, I...like someone else, and I wouldn't want to be leading you on."

Jung Woo thinned his lips. He knew exactly who she was talking about, even if she wouldn't say it. He decided to play dumb, though, wondering if she would actually admit it. "Is this the guy who stood you up before?"

"No, a different guy."

"I see." A thought crossed Jung Woo's mind. "Well, are you dating this guy exclusively?"

Jan Di paused for a moment. "No." And her brow furrowed in realization. "Actually, we...haven't been out yet." She wasn't sure why she was giving Jung Woo all this extra information.

"Then you're not really dating, right?" he responded immediately.

Yes, Jung Woo had more than a strong suspicion as to who she was referring to, and he felt like a complete bastard for this, but all was fair in love and war, wasn't it?

"I suppose not, but‒"

He didn't let her finish. "So, it shouldn't be a big deal if we go out for coffee, right? No strings attached."

"Well…"

"Look, maybe it won't work out with this other guy. Maybe you'll like me, instead. If not, we can just be friends. Friends go out for coffee, right?"

Stopping, Jan Di considered this. Even though being friends was really no big deal, in usual circumstances, in this case, it was. Not only did she have the feeling he was looking for more than friendship with her and would only end up disappointed, but he was Ji Hoo's good friend, and she didn't feel right about it. "I...just don't think it's a good idea. I'm sorry."

Jung Woo had also stopped when she did. He nodded. "Alright, I understand. No problem. Let me know if you change your mind."

She agreed, and they continued walking together.

At first, Jan Di thought the rest of the way back would be uncomfortable, but Jung Woo's mood seemed just fine. He even chatted more with her along the way.

That was easy, Jan Di thought. And she was thankful for it because she wasn't used to having to turn guys down. She felt a bit better now that she had done her part, and if/or when anything happened between her and Chief Yoon‒Ji Hoo, she would need to get used to calling him that off-duty–he could be the one to tell Jung Woo about it.


Back at the station, Sung Jin had returned and was doing gear inventory with Jae Hyun; all the other guys (except Ji Hoo and Jung Woo) had gathered to grill him on how it went with the woman at the hospital. The younger member of the group explained that the woman, whose name was Hei Ryung, was doing fine and had been released from the hospital. Naturally, they wanted more information than that, but Sung Jin was unusually quiet.

However, after working for a few moments, the rookie released a dreamy sigh. "I think I'm in love."

They all stared at him, and a couple laughed or made comments. Now they were getting somewhere…

"She kissed me." He touched his cheek as if only just realizing it.

"Again?" Jae Hyun, the other young firefighter asked.

"No, after the fire. You all saw."

"Oh, that." Yeong Ho shrugged. "Well, of course she did. You rescued her pet."

"Yeah, and there's not much that's more appealing to a woman than a firefighter holding a kitten in his arms," Do Yun remarked.

"Why is that, anyway?" Sung Jin asked, truly perplexed.

"Well, it shows you're a man but at the same time sweet and gentle and sensitive. Women love that," Yeong Ho explained.

"Ahh." And Sung Jin went off in his head again. "She was really amazing, wasn't she?" he mused aloud.

"Sure, she was very cute, but you don't even know her," the older man commented.

"I know enough. She's beautiful and sweet, and she cares so much about her cat… Even her mother was nice."

"Oh, right. You already met her mother," Yeong Ho slyly grinned. "Hope you made a good impression."

At that, Sung Jin's face fell. He hadn't thought of it that way; he hoped he had made a good impression. He wasn't exactly the good-impression-making kinda guy…

"Did you get a date with her or her number?" Jae Hyun asked.

"No."

"Ah, sorry, Kid." Yeong Ho gave him a truly sympathetic look.

"I guess that's a bad sign, huh?"

The others looked at him, some trying to reassure him, some shrugging and avoiding eye contact. And then, Yeong Ho spoke. "Look, Kid, most of us have been there. Almost all of us have been hugged or kissed for rescuing a child or pet or loved one. It doesn't mean anything. Just enjoy the moment where you got to be the hero and forget about her." He clapped the rookie on the back before leaving the room to get back to his own work.

Sullenly, Sung Jin tried to get his mind off Hei Ryung...or at least focus on her a little less...


Jan Di dropped Ember off, only having time to say a quick hi to the guys and to Chief Yoon before needing to leave, and then she made her way to work. She entered the Emergency headquarters and was greeted by several of her men. Dong Geun said that he missed her and asked how she spent her day off, and Hyeon-U asked about the dog. Both answers went hand in hand, but she didn't know if she wanted to tell them about spending the entire day at the fire station. She went for a partially honest yet evasive answer, telling them she'd dropped off the dog at the fire station and helped to get her settled in, and then she'd eaten dinner and had a relaxing evening. A few of the guys seemed to have more questions, but she fended them off, deciding to use the excuse that she had work to get done, which was true. The bad thing about having a day off was that things piled up while she was away...

But before going to her office, Jan Di asked, "There was a fire this morning, right?"

"Yes," Hyeon-U answered for the group.

"How did it go?"

"Routine, Captain. Nothing we couldn't handle. No major injuries. The report is in your office."

"Good, thank you."

Jan Di stepped into her office and shut the door; she returned a few calls and looked over the schedule for the following month. While she was out, a stack of training manuals had been delivered for the upcoming training with a note attached, informing her that she was to choose three of her men to go with her. This meant that she would need to call in more volunteers to work while they were away. She decided to leave one of her most capable guys behind to run things in her stead, and she selected those who would accompany her. She took training manuals out to them so that they could look over them prior to the training. After that, she looked over the manual herself.


Several hours later, the EMT squad was sent to the site of a car accident, in which two people were trapped inside the vehicle. The fire department had also arrived, and Do Yun was positioning the rig while Chief Yoon was surveyed the scene for hazards. A couple of police officers were also there, blocking off the area.

Chief Yoon and his guys first stabilized the scene and the vehicle; the safety of all involved was of course, vital. The firefighters then brought out their tools so that Jan Di and her team could get to the victims. Once able to access them, Jan Di performed a thorough examination to check for injuries and limb entrapment with the assistance of one of her guys, and then they placed blankets over them. The firefighters carefully extricated the victims from the vehicle while the EMTs waited with stretchers, ready to safely transport them to the hospital.

Although the victims were sure to have some broken bones and some superficial injuries, they didn't seem to be in serious condition; at least there were no signs of internal bleeding, so Jan Di hoped they would survive and heal quickly. They were lucky, and that wasn't always the case. Automobile accidents were often horrific. Jan Di had seen many a person dead on impact, bleeding profusely, or even impaled in some manner. It was never a pretty sight, but she'd gotten used to it to where it didn't shock her like before. She would simply respond quickly and do all she could to help, which, sadly, was usually not so much.

Finally, Jan Di hopped in the ambulance, and Hyeon-U hopped in the other. Before the doors closed, she and Ji Hoo exchanged a cursory wave and a smile and went their separate ways.


The days passed as normal…

Thursday came around, and just past mid-day, Jan Di and her guys arrived at Cheongnyangi station. They purchased their tickets, grabbed a quick bite to eat, and headed to the platform to wait for their train to the National Fire Service Academy in Cheonan, South ChungCheong Province.

Jan Di hadn't talked to Ji Hoo in a few days and had only seen him at work for a couple of emergency situations. Having not heard much from him lately, she was beginning to worry that perhaps she'd misinterpreted their phone conversation and his signals. Although, it seemed pretty clear… He'd even kissed her cheek that night; it was still burned into her memory, and she was still holding onto his shirt. She decided not to assume anything was wrong and act casually, though she was rather excited to see him.

The EMTs were standing on the platform of the station, waiting for the train when Ji Hoo and his men showed up. "Hello, Captain Geum," Ji Hoo greeted her.

"Hello, Chief Yoon. How are you today?"

"I'm well, and you, Captain Geum?"

"Fine, thank you." She smiled, despite his tone being more formal than last time.

Chief Yoon greeted all of her guys, and she greeted his while some other passengers gathered nearby. Then there was quiet. It didn't take long for the firefighters and EMTs to start chattering away, though, which stove off any tension and lightened the mood. And the two groups waited together until the blue and white streamlined bullet train arrived. When it did, the men bid Jan Di to board the train first, and they followed in turn.

They all took their seats and strapped in. Jan Di ended up sitting in front of Chief Yoon and next to Jin Soo. Behind her, Chief Yoon was seated next to Jae Hyun. The conductor made an announcement about their destination and the trip duration, and the train rolled out of the station. The speed kicked in, and the train whizzed along the tracks, though it barely felt like they were moving at all.

Right away, Jan Di occupied herself by chatting with Jin Soo a bit and looking out the window at the passing countryside. She was doing her best not to look back at Chief Yoon, though she wanted to...

Ji Hoo, however, could look at her as much as he wanted without making it obvious, although just the back of her head and the side of her face when she turned to look out the window or at her travel companion. Ten minutes into the ride, she put her hair up into a ponytail, giving him a better view of her long neck, and he noticed a small brown mole just below her left ear.

The young guys seated next to Jan Di and Ji Hoo ended up striking up a conversation, so Ji Hoo decided to talk with Jan Di. He placed his hands on the back of her seat and leaned forward. "How are you enjoying the ride?" he asked plainly.

Jan Di could feel the barest hint of his warm breath along her neck when he spoke, and it made her shiver. She turned slightly to look back at him, putting their faces closer than she'd realized. Her eyes flitted from his eyes down to his lips‒and she couldn't help but wonder if they were as soft as they looked… Making eye contact again, she replied, "It's nice. Very smooth."

He nodded, and not knowing what more to say but wanting to continue talking with her, he asked about her experience with train rides and traveling…

Their interchanges grew increasingly flirtatious along the way, and he kept finding little ways to touch her; he'd tap her shoulder to point out something outside the window; he'd rest his hands along the back of her seat and brush her back with his fingertips...she couldn't be quite sure if that was purposeful or accidental.

When Jae Hyun noticed that Captain Geum kept looking back a lot and Chief Yoon kept leaning forward, he offered his seat. "Do you want to sit here, Captain Geum?" the teen asked.

"Oh." She paused, considering it. But she didn't want to make it too obvious, and her pride won out. "That's okay."

Jae Hyun nodded and stood, and he headed up the aisle toward the bathroom. After he passed by, Jin Soo stood up from beside Jan Di, groaning and saying he needed to stretch his legs. He walked a few steps before being called over by one of his buddies, who had something to tell him.

Being relatively alone with her now, Ji Hoo took the opportunity to lean forward. "You don't want to sit with me, huh?" he teased.

Craning her neck to see him, Jan Di scoffed. "You're not supposed to switch seats," she said, matter-of-factly. Then she unstrapped and turned around fully in her seat to look back at him, a playful grin on her lips. "That's the rule, you know."

Like a little kid, she was on her knees and peeking over the seat, and she looked so cute to him. "Ahh, I see. Well, if that's the rule, then I guess I'm out of luck." Ji Hoo smirked.

. . .

Jan Di and Ji Hoo went about their own business for a few minutes. Around them, the other passengers were also doing their own thing, too; some were sleeping, some reading and some were messing around on their phones.

And then Ji Hoo unstrapped and stood.

Jan Di watched him stand. He looked down at her as he did, making a point to tell her he'd be back, but before he left, he gave her a clearly suggestive look and a 'follow me' head tilt. Then he walked up the aisle...

What in the world? What could he possibly want?

She was curious enough to want to find out, though, so she waited a few seconds‒to ward off suspicion‒and stood up, too. And as if there was no other choice, she followed him. Growing increasingly nervous along the way, her legs had turned to hot jelly. But she continued to make her way up the aisle in the direction he went, passing two sections of the train.

Finally, she saw him stop at the partition next to bathroom door; he leaned against the wall and looked back, seemingly waiting for her.

Jan Di stopped dead in her tracks, mortified. He couldn't possibly...Omo, what is he expecting?! She certainly wasn't that kind of girl!

She tried to temper her response and give him the benefit of the doubt, though. Glancing around nervously, she folded her arms and asked, "What's this about?"

"I want to show you something," he said. "But I didn't want the guys to see."

Show me what?! What could he possibly have to show her that the guys couldn't see?!

Now Jan Di was not only nervous but becoming angry. She stood before Ji Hoo, ready to tell him off or smack him for being a when he whipped a book out of his coat pocket.

"Look," he said as he held up the book. Wuthering Heights.

Jan Di inwardly sighed in relief. Of course, it was something like that; he just wanted to show her the book! After that revelation, she immediately recoiled at the disgusting conclusions she'd jumped to. What an idiot she was! Why did she automatically think the worst?

"Ohh, that's what you wanted to show me…" She shook her head, feeling completely stupid. And embarrassed. Thankfully, he couldn't read her thoughts because now she felt like the for thinking he was one… How had her mind conjured up something like that, anyway? First that fantasy of hers and now this? What in the world was he doing to her?!

"Yes. What did you think it was?"

She blushed furiously and snapped her head away from him. "Nothing. I thought it was nothing!"

Ji Hoo quirked a brow. "I see," he said, though he was rather confused. She was far too flustered right now. What had she been thinking?

It was cute and entertaining, but he would digress. "So?" He managed to get her to look at him, and he showed her the book again. "I thought you would be pleased about this."

Jan Di finally regained her senses. "Oh, I am; I am," she insisted. "Of course, it's great. You got it!" She forewent her embarrassment and starting chattering away. "Did you start yet? How far did you get? Do you like it?"

"I did start it, but I haven't gotten far. Just finished the first chapter, and I like it so far. I wanted to tell you, but I didn't want to do it in front of the guys because they'd tease me mercilessly."

So, that explains it, she thought. And she once more berated herself. "Well, that's true; they would. And you wouldn't want to ruin your rep," she teased.

"Exactly." He smirked at her.

"Then why bring it here...aren't you taking a risk?" She asked with a smirk of her own.

"Yeah. It's too bad you're unwilling to switch seats because I know you won't give me a hard time for reading it on the train."

"Well, no, but…" She didn't know what else to say, so she abruptly told him she was going back to her seat if that was all.

"Wait." He caught her by the arm, and she stopped. "That wasn't actually all…" Yes, he'd wanted to show her the book, but more than that, he just wanted a chance to be near her without all the prying eyes on them. He leaned in a bit.

Jan Di's eyes darted around the train; most people weren't paying any attention to them, but still, what was he doing? She stared at him with wide eyes as he leaned in a bit closer, and her heart started speeding up. For some reason, she couldn't stop staring at his lips which were gradually growing closer. "I wanted to tell you…," his voice was soft and gentle like a caress, "that I'm looking forward to next weekend…"

Jan Di's heart accelerated even faster. Was he feeling this way, too?

"Oh yeah?" she did her best to seem unaffected. "Why?"

"Because…I think it'll be nice."

"Nice, how?"

"Well…" Ji Hoo considered his words. "The weather is supposed to be good." He grinned.

Jan Di chuckled a bit and shyly averted her eyes. Turning back to him, she said in a lower tone of voice. "You know, I think Friday will be a particularly nice day..."

"Friday, huh?" He pondered a moment before nodding. "I think so, too."

And then he got even closer and raised his hand. "Jan Di…," he said as he brushed aside a strand of hair that had fallen in her face.

Jan Di was reeling. Why was he toying with her like this, getting her so...excited...when there was absolutely nothing she could do about it? Right now, she wanted so badly to reach out and touch his face, but she had no excuse to do so…

They stared at each other until a man checking tickets came down the aisle; he interrupted them, asking to pass by. They apologized and moved. And Ji Hoo slid his hands along Jan Di's arms as he gently moved her aside, stirring something within her yet again.

Given the broken moment, Jan Di took the chance to cool her hormones‒were they supposed to have such an impact at her age?‒and she pulled free, turned, and walked rapidly back to her seat.

With a sigh, Ji Hoo followed.

When they returned to their seats, the two rookies had sat down in the front row, and Jae Hyun was now in Jan Di's spot. He saw her and looked up. "Oh, Captain Geum, I'm sorry. I'll move."

"It's okay," she said. "Go ahead and talk. I can use your seat for now."

"I thought switching wasn't allowed," Ji Hoo teased, and Jan Di shoved him a little. He gave a small chuckle and offered her the window seat; she thanked him and took it.

Jan Di scooted over as close to the window as she could, but their arms still touched when he sat down. It was warm...electric. Deciding she needed to distract herself, she reached down for her bag under the seat and brought out some snacks. She asked to be let up again, and she started passing them around to all the guys, hers and the firefighters, only leaving out Chief Yoon. Avoiding eye contact, she took her new seat beside him and opened the bag of chips. He looked at her curiously, and she turned her head away.

"Don't I get any?" Ji Hoo asked.

Glancing over at him again, her head held high, she said, "No, sorry." This is what you get for that little stunt you pulled!

"Why not?" he asked directly.

Jan Di shrugged. "Sorry, I guess I was one short."

"Oh, I see." He leaned back in his seat, folded his arms, and continued watching her.

"Are they good?" he asked.

"Very," she said.

"I can't even have one?" He shot her a disarming smile.

"Hmm…" She thought long and hard about the decision and plucked another chip out of the bag; she held it up in the air and waved it around in front of him before saying, "Nope, sorry!" And then she ate it. "Mmm, so good..."

Ji Hoo shook his head at her as she pulled out another chip. This time, he tried to snatch it. She moved her hand in time, but he caught her by the wrist.

"Stop teasing now…" He grinned, but it slowly faded and was replaced by a very serious expression.

Jan Di froze as they looked into each other's eyes. She pretended to resist at first, but ultimately her wrist fell limp in his grasp while his eyes held hers captive. They stayed like that for several seconds…

And then, Jan Di some salt off her lips...

She hadn't intended to be y, but it succeeded in distracting Ji Hoo. His hold loosened, giving her the chance to snatch her hand free, and she proceeded to eat the chip. She crunched it up and laughed, "Ha ha!"

Ji Hoo shook his head at her. "I never knew that you were such a cruel person, Captain Geum."

"Yah, I'm not cruel! Have you forgotten all I've done for you?"

"Not at all." He recalled that night vividly as a matter of fact. "And you?"

"What?"

"Have you forgotten what I've done for you?"

"No," she said, recalling his own good deed. She brought out another chip.

This time, Ji Hoo tried a different tactic. "Come on, just one?" he pleaded with big eyes. And Jan Di stared at him, considering it…


Some of the other guys were watching the scene, their looks a mixture of bewilderment and amusement. Sung Jin and Jung Woo were seated together on the other side of the train, across from Jan Di and Ji Hoo. "Are you seeing this, Sunbae?" Sung Jin asked Jung Woo.

Jung Woo shook his head, mumbling, "Unfortunately, I am."

"Huh?" the younger man replied.

"Nevermind." It was a little sickening, so Jung Woo stood from his seat, deciding to take a walk to the front of the train.

Just as the rookie firefighter and EMT had been getting along on the train ride, the veteran firefighter and EMT had also been talking with one another in between reading their magazines. Seated next to each other now, a few seats back from the chief and the captain, Yeong Ho and Hyeon-U watched them. "Is she going to feed him now?" Yeong Ho asked, incredulous.

Hyeon-U shrugged. "I don't know, but this is kind of entertaining. I've never seen Captain Geum act this way."

Yeong Ho chuckled a bit. "Chief Yoon, either."

Both were quite shocked, in fact, by how openly their superiors were flirting with one another in public. It wasn't like either of them. Captain Geum was proud, and Chief Yoon was stoic, so for them to act in such a way was highly unusual. Neither of them had even shown any interest in the opposite for a while and had certainly never flaunted it so blatantly. But right now, they looked like a lovestruck pair of teenagers, not caring who saw or what they thought of them. They were in love and enjoying it, and that was all there was to it...

"Perhaps we should start a poll to see how long it takes these two crazy kids to get together," Hyeon-U suggested. To which, Yeong Ho gave a low laugh and said, "You're on."

"What do you think, a week, two weeks?" Hyeon-U pondered.

"If that," Yeong Ho replied.

"I don't know. Captain Geum is pretty stubborn," Hyeon-U remarked.

"And Chief is slow to make a move."

"What a match," Hyeon-U quipped.

Normally, the older men didn't care so much for gossip or the antics of the younger crowd, but this was an enigma, their 'fearless leaders' behaving like a pair of lovesick goofballs...it was quite a show. At this rate, they might not even make it through the entire weekend without something happening between them…


Jan Di had given in to Ji Hoo's puppy look and offered him the chip. She didn't feed it to him but simply handed it to him as well as the bag. She actually did have a bag for him, so she produced it and handed that over, too. Since he had eaten part of her bag already, Ji Hoo offered to share the new bag with her. They toned down their playfulness and chatted casually while sharing the second bag of chips.

It was amazing to Jan Di how freely she could talk and banter back and forth with Chief Yoon. It was comfortable, yet not altogether so. It was something else, too, but not uncomfortable. More like enticing…

His words, his smile, his eyes...they all did things to her, and those, combined with his little touches and playful comments were nearly too much for her to take. She felt like jumping out of her skin most of the time when she was with him, and on this ride, she had been finding it very difficult not to lean in and kiss him, especially when they got so close without touching…

Was he holding back, too? Was it hard for him? Maybe she just didn't have as much self-control as him...because right now, she was aching over the fact that she couldn't touch him or kiss him like she wanted to…

But she certainly didn't want their first kiss to happen on a train in front of the guys…

They managed to cool things down, and Jan Di proceeded to pull out her book, Great Expectations; Ji Hoo took out Wuthering Heights, and they both started to read…

Jan Di read for awhile until she grew tired of it, and then she decided to just relax and listen to music. She pulled her cell phone out of her pocket, attached a pair of earbuds and hit play on her favorites playlist. She listened while leaning against the window and looking out. After two songs, a certain one popped up that made her glance over at Ji Hoo.

Noticing her eyes on him, he asked, "What are you listening to?"

Jan Di felt herself blush. It was a song she really liked, and that like had only intensified since meeting Yoon Ji Hoo. "Um, it's just a song I like…" She avoided his gaze and said, "It's called 'Amazing You.'" Gathering her courage to look back again, she asked, "Have you heard it?"

"I haven't."

"I think you'd like it," she said.

"May I…?" She nodded and handed him the earbuds.

"I don't want to take it away from you, though."

"It's okay," she said, pushing it toward him.

Then he handed one of the buds to her while he kept the other. "How about we share?" he suggested with a warm smile.

Jan smiled back and put one bud in her left ear; he put one in his right, and she set the phone on her left leg and pressed play.

They sat together, listening to the melodic love song, and it just felt right. They'd both had hardships in their lives; they both knew all too well the harshness of the world, but somehow, when they were together, it all seemed to melt away. At least for her. Together, they could smile and laugh, be silly, even childlike… When she was with him, she could easily forget all the bad thing that had happened, even if just for a little while…

She had been nervous for him to hear this song, but she wanted him to hear it because it seemed to exemplify so well how she felt about him.

While the music played, they exchanged a few cautious glances. At one part, about the sleep talk, their eyes locked.  A tiny smile quirked at the corner of Ji Hoo's mouth as he recalled their phone conversations. 

Thinking of this, too, Jan Di lowered her eyes to her hands in her lap.

Ji Hoo smiled at her shyness and looked out ahead.

When she grew bold enough to look at him again, he was staring out. She saw him slowly look over at her, and quickly, she looked away.

His body next to hers, it felt so warm; the entire vicinity was hotter, stifling almost. And Jan Di's extremities tingled. A dozen thoughts danced in her head, many of which were not appropriate, at least not now.

But this was nice.

While the song played, Ji Hoo glanced down at Jan Di's phone on her leg, which had suddenly lit up from the jiggle she did. And he saw the title: "His song."

Jan Di looked over, seeing something in Ji Hoo's eyes she'd never quite seen before, and her chest began to rise and fall.

Ji Hoo smiled at this part, and when he glanced over, she was smiling, too. But then, her eyes shot to the floor. And he smiled even wider.

He looked over once more, meeting her eyes, and this time she kept hers on his. Their hands were close; they weren't quite holding hands, but their fingers were touching a bit.

The song repeated the chorus and came to an end.

"I liked it," Ji Hoo told her, a statement which seemed wildly inadequate, so he followed it up with a meaningful look that he hoped expressed that he understood and accepted.

Jan Di felt her cheeks warm; she looked down. "Well, thanks for listening."

"Sure." He removed the bud from his ear and held it out to her.

When she looked up, she took it from him. "Thanks."

After that, Jan Di listened to more of her playlist alone while leaning against the window and staring out. It felt like so much had happened on this relatively short ride, and her mind was spinning. That dizziness in her head and the emotional churning in her stomach gave way to the sensation of drifting. And she realized that she hadn't slept all that well lately. Her head lolled to the side, but she did her best to stay awake. It would be embarrassing to fall asleep in front of him or on him, and knowing her, she'd probably snore or talk in her sleep, so she leaned away, toward the window, fighting the impending darkness. It wasn't much further; she could make it…

"You look tired, Captain Geum," she heard him say.

She turned slightly and gave a little nod. "I am, a little."

"Why don't you rest?"

"Well, I…"

And then he stood up and reached for the compartment above their heads. He came back with a small travel pillow. "Here," he said.

"No, that's okay."

"Use it. I doubt I'll fall asleep on the train."

"Um, well...okay." She took the offered pillow and placed it between her head and the window.

The pillow seemed to finish her off, and before long, Jan Di was out.

Jan Di was fast asleep on his shoulder now, breathing softly. Enjoying having her so close, Ji Hoo subtly breathed in the scent of her, jasmine with a hint of green tea. He smiled down at her and then glanced around the train. A couple of the guys had noticed and were watching them, but when he looked up they looked away. He considered waking Jan Di so she wouldn't be teased later on‒he knew his case was a hopeless one already‒but she seemed so peaceful, and he was sure she could use the rest. The darkness under her eyes and the glassy look in them right before she fell asleep suggested she hadn't been sleeping properly.

As delicately as he could, Ji Hoo reached for his book, and he read for the rest of the duration of the trip, while Jan Di slept soundly against his shoulder.


They would all be going to the National Fire Service Academy the next day, but for this evening they were staying in a nearby hotel. The firefighters and EMTs walked in with their luggage and took a look around. It wasn't the top of the line, but it was luxurious for the small town they were staying in.

After checking in, the two groups made a plan to have dinner in about an hour, and they all went to their respective rooms. Everyone had been paired up to share a room. Being the only female EMT, Jan Di had been assigned to share with a female police officer, who hadn't arrived yet. So, she went to her room, dropped off her bag, and changed clothes. On the way out, she ran into Ji Hoo and Jung Woo, coming out of the room she assumed they were sharing.

She greeted them, and Jung Woo suggested the three of them get a drink at the bar before dinner. Jan Di agreed but assured them she was only having one because of the training tomorrow.

When they arrived at the small hotel bar adjacent to the lobby, it seemed that quite a few others had had the same idea because the place was packed. The three of them conferred and decided to wait for a table or spot at the bar to open up.

Ten minutes into their wait, a group dressed in navy blue uniforms entered the lobby and began checking in. Jan Di and Ji Hoo were in the middle of a conversation near the bar, so Jung Woo noticed the arrival of the new group first. "Oh good, the police force is here," he muttered sarcastically.

Ji Hoo looked over while Jan Di remained facing him, her back to the group that had just entered. She turned slightly to look over her shoulder, and one of the officers did a double-take. He left the lobby area and headed toward the bar.

The officer who had noticed Jan Di had auburn hair, was of medium height and average build. He looked slightly younger than Jan Di and her companions, possibly around 25 or 26 years; however, the insignia on his arm indicated a special rank. The officer took a couple steps forward and shouted, "Hey you!"

"Is he talking to us?!" Jung Woo demanded. There was an edge to his tone as if he was feeling challenged. He wasn't a fan of the police, anyway, due to some previous run-ins on the job, and he tended to think they only got in the way.

Jan Di only glimpsed the officer for a second before looking to Jung Woo and Ji Hoo.

"Hey you!" the officer repeated loudly.

The two firefighters watched Jan Di tense up, and upon realizing she was the one being spoken to, she snapped her head in the direction of the voice. Turning around completely, she finally got a good look at him.

Hands on hips and unsmiling, the police officer said in a macho tone, "Yeah, you! Wanna have a drink...Baby?" The guy cocked a brow at the last word.

Ji Hoo's brow wrinkled and his lips pressed together in annoyance.

Jung Woo was likewise irritated but more intrigued. "Who does this guy think he is?" He held up a hand and studied Jan Di, knowing she would never tolerate being talked to in such a way.

Ji Hoo and Jung Woo watched Jan Di take a couple steps toward the officer...

"Oh, he's dead...," Jung Woo remarked. At first, he'd thought to go over himself to set the guy straight, but it would be much more entertaining to watch Jan Di put the cop in his place, perhaps even give him a light beating. Just so long as she didn't get herself arrested…

Jan Di took another slow step, and then...she took off running at him, leaving Ji Hoo and Jung Woo in a state of shock.

When Jan Di got close, she threw her arms out and crashed into the police officer's arms, practically tackling him to the ground. The officer managed to catch her and remain upright as she collided with him, and he welcomed her into his arms. Not only that, but he actually picked her up and spun around. Both of them were smiling happily.

"What the…?" Jung Woo muttered. And he turned to Ji Hoo, who was just staring at the sight before him.

"Well, I guess they know one another," Jung Woo commented.

"Yeah…," Ji Hoo muttered.


After he spun her around twice, the police officer set Jan Di on her feet again. And she immediately took his face in both of her hands. "Bae Myung-hoon!"

"Geum-Jan-Di," he punched each word, grinning widely.

Jan Di shook her head and roughly pinched his cheeks. "Yah, what was with that greeting? Who you calling 'Baby'? You're the baby!"

This caused Myung-hoon to drop his macho act and wince. "Yah, Noona, that still hurts!" he whined.

"Oh, sorry!" Jan Di released his cheeks, and they both laughed while he pretended to rub the area.

Then Jan Di took a step back, holding his arms out by the sleeves to get a better look at him. It hadn't been that long, but somehow it felt like ages. Of course, he hadn't changed. He still had the same handsome, baby face and those large brown eyes which sparkled with the more than a dash of feistiness residing in his soul.

What made her heart really clench was how much he looked like…

She shook her head, deciding not to go there. And she put on a broad smile.

"Myung-hoon-ah, look at you! I haven't seen you in months, but it feels like years. You've grown up so much...how is that possible? And oh, what's this?" She closely inspected the patch on his arm, reading the insignia underneath. "You're a sergeant now?!"

"Yep." He smiled proudly, and she punched him in the arm. "I moved up a couple ranks quickly."

"Get outta town!"

They both laughed again, and then Myung-hoon looked back at the men standing a few feet behind her.

"Who are your escorts?" the policeman pointed to Ji Hoo and Jung Woo.

"Oh yeah! Come meet my friends!" Jan Di grabbed Myung-hoon by the arm and dragged him over to the firefighters.

Smiling brightly, Jan Di introduced them. "Myung-hoon, this is Lee Jung Woo and Chief Yoon Ji Hoo. Guys, this is Bae Myung-hoon. He's...an old friend of mine."

Jung Woo and Ji Hoo bowed to the younger man, but Ji Hoo hadn't failed to notice the hesitation when Jan Di introduced the police officer. And he suspected that there was more to their connection than she was letting on…

***To Be Continued***


A/N: So, maybe JanHoo was a little OOC this chapter, but it is AU. I think that with them being older and it being an AU story that maybe they could get a bit feistier. So, yeah, it was unfair of me to ask you to guess who the police officer was last chapter, right? You couldn't have known. He's an OC. Well, I hope you enjoyed! Please let me know what you thought.

Next Time…Training Day! The gang meets a stern female lieutenant, a macho instructor, a sassy policewoman, and an unscrupulous female firefighter. While catching up with Officer Myung-hoon, Jan Di reminisces about her old flame, and Myun-hoon reveals something she didn't know, bringing her to tears but giving her some much-needed closure. Almost everyone gets jealous and competitive, and JanHoo proves just how far they would go to keep each other safe…