Yoon Ji Hoo

To Love, Honor, and Protect

Chapter One: Yoon Ji Hoo 

Love is friendship set on fire –Jeremy Taylor

It was a warm, sunny spring afternoon in Seoul—one of those beautiful, cloudless days everyone loves so much. It had been a relatively quiet day at the fire station in the Jongno District, and the four firefighters on shift—and two volunteers—were doing their best to occupy themselves. Several were catching up on paperwork or doing busy-work, and several others were talking and goofing around. Down the street—one block away—the 119 Disaster Headquarters and Ambulance Services building stood, equally quiet.

"Ya, Chief! Chief Yoon!" a five-year veteran of the station called up to his superior—and friend—stirring him from a pleasantly dreamless sleep.

Yoon Ji Hoo lay on his back, atop the cherry-red fire engine. He wore his typical attire while on duty—a white t-shirt, pants, and suspenders. Eyes still shut and one arm behind his head, he called down from his regular napping spot, "Yeah?"


Yoon Ji Hoo was a young man with a lean, muscular build and hair the color of flames—as the other firefighters teased. His facial features were defined—soft, yet masculine—and he was considered very handsome by most women he came across. In fact, there had been more than the occasional comment from an admiring woman, suggesting that he looked like a living statue. This was always a bit embarrassing for Ji Hoo to hear, and his men would endlessly about it, or at least until threatened with retribution.

At 28 years of age, Yoon Ji Hoo was the youngest fire chief in the history of the Jongno Station, which had resulted in him also being buddies with the men he supervised. Although he was well-respected by everyone there, the guys also enjoyed teasing him whenever they got the chance.

The other firefighters particularly enjoyed teasing him about his habit of taking naps at odd times—and in odd places, such as on top of the fire engine. Ji Hoo's reasoning was logical enough, though—he explained that if there was a fire, he would be ready to go and could simply slide down into the truck.


Yoon Ji Hoo let out a slow yawn and stretched his long limbs over his head. Finally, he opened his eyes and stared up at the sun that had been beating down mercilessly upon him. He squinted due to the brightness and immediately shut his eyes again. More cautiously, he opened them a second time and blinked the sleep away.

"What can I do for you?" Ji Hoo asked of the man below him.

"Just thought I'd let you know that we're going to hose down the engine now, Chief, so unless you want a shower, I suggest you find another place to nap," a man by the name of Lee Jung-Woo playfully informed.

"No, thanks, already had one today," Ji Hoo replied, and Jung-Woo chuckled. "Appreciate the heads-up!" Then, Ji Hoo sat up and climbed down off the truck.

The station that Ji Hoo oversaw was one of six stations, comprising the first fire district of Seoul. His station serviced the Jongno District—spanning Sejongno to the Great East Gate. The staff consisted of a group of 4 full-time firefighters, as well as a handful of on-call and volunteer firefighters.

Ji Hoo and his men certainly had fun at the station, which was necessary once in awhile—given the sheer number of hours they worked. But they also knew when to be serious. And each man there took his job extremely serious, particularly Yoon Ji Hoo.

Chief Yoon always started off the day with having his men recite the Charter of Fire Services, which went: We, firefighters, shall always remember and cherish our responsibility to protect the precious lives and property of Koreans. With this mission in mind, we will do our best to provide high-quality fire services so that all citizens may lead happier, safer lives.

Ji Hoo took this oath very seriously.

And he was proud of the team he had assembled. They worked cooperatively together, were efficient—when it was time to get down to business—and were swift to act.

Being a firefighter was the only line of work Ji Hoo had ever known, and he thrived on it. It was arduous, but there were rewarding moments, too—when everything went well and everyone got out safely, without injury.

Ji Hoo always breathed a deep sigh of relief and said a silent prayer of thanks at those times. And the victims were always extremely grateful when things went right. They would cry, hug him, and thank him profusely for saving the life of a family member or beloved pet. Sometimes, they would even refer to him as a hero.

But Ji Hoo didn't see himself that way, at all—and that wasn't why he did it. It was his job, his sacred duty—his life—and he would do it for as long as he was able.

A firefighter's life was far from glorious. It was grueling, stressful, and dangerous. Still, Ji Hoo couldn't imagine doing anything else.


After disembarking the fire truck, Ji Hoo settled into his office to do some paperwork, but it wasn't long before there was a knock at his door. "Chief, you have a visitor," one of the volunteers informed.

Ji Hoo waved in the visitor, while still focused upon the sheet in front of him. A tall man with dark-brown, wavy hair and dressed immaculately stepped into the doorway.

A wide smile crossed Ji Hoo's lips when he looked up and saw the person there. "Song Woo Bin!" Ji Hoo exclaimed.

Song Woo Bin was from a wealthy, powerful family that owned a large construction empire in South Korea. And though he didn't like to talk about it, the Songs had ties to the mafia. Woo Bin was also a renowned ladies' man.

Ji Hoo stood and walked around his desk. The two longtime friends clasped hands—smiling—and that turned into a man-hug. "Where in all of South Korea have you been hiding, Woo Bin-ah?!"

"I've been around," Woo Bin coolly commented.

"I'll bet you have," Ji Hoo quipped. "Enjoying your freedom while you can?"

Woo Bin laughed. "Something like that," he replied, grinning.

Ji Hoo bid Woo Bin to sit. He did so, crossing one knee over the other, and Ji Hoo took a seat behind his desk. And the two best friends spent a few minutes catching up…

"So, what brings you here, Woo Bin-ah?"

"What, a guy can't just visit an old friend when he feels like it?"

"Sure, but was that all you wanted?" Ji Hoo asked, raising a brow.

"Well…," Woo-Bin gave Ji Hoo a sheepish look and drummed his fingers upon his knee. "Not exactly. I have a favor to ask."

"Ah," Ji Hoo rested his chin in his hand. "Well, what is it?"

"I came by to ask if you'd go on a double-date with me."

"A double-date? Ah, I don't know…"

"Aw man, whyyy?" Woo Bin practically whined. It was humorless coming from a grown man such as him.

"I met this really cute girl at a club. Her name's Chu Ga Eul. She's not the type I'm usually into, but she's really sweet, and I like her a lot. But she refuses to go out with me unless her friend can come along, too. And she asked me if I knew anyone for her friend."

"Ya, just because your wingman, Yi Jeong, is out of the country doesn't mean I'll just fill in."

Woo Bin smirked. "Come on, man. Just this once. Go out with us Friday night."

"No can do. Sorry," and Ji Hoo picked up his pen and tapped it lightly upon the desk.

Woo Bin tightened his lips before speaking again, "Ji Hoo-yah," he spoke softly, "…Don't you think it's time you moved on? It's been two years. You need this."

Is that, right? Ji Hoo mused, has it really been that long? It had been that long since she left, he realized.

Ji Hoo released a heavy sigh. Putting down the pen, he folded his hands upon the desk. "…It's not about that. I'm over her now," he replied—although, not entirely convincing to Woo Bin. "I just don't have time to date."

Ji Hoo picked up the pen again and pretended to focus on the unfinished report before him. And Woo Bin studied him carefully, while resting his face in one hand.

It had taken Ji Hoo a good year—at least—to even consider dating someone else after his break-up with his childhood sweetheart, Min Seo Hyun. And since then, he hadn't gone out much at all, despite many attempts by his best friends—So Yi Jeong and Song Woo Bin. He almost always turned them down.

And the handful of dates he had gone on, hadn't progressed very far. It never lasted long—with the women he went out with—or turned into a real relationship, usually because the woman claimed he didn't make her a priority. And there was probably some truth to that. Although his job was a major factor, he did use it as something of an excuse. For, the complete truth of the matter was that Ji Hoo still wasn't ready to move on…

Woo Bin released a small sigh and d his chin thoughtfully. "You gotta relax sometimes, though, man. And it's been forever since you've been on a date, right? I was beginning to think you might change professions and become a monk," Woo Bin teased—to lighten the mood.

Ji Hoo gave a halfhearted chuckle. "No, no change of profession happening. But like I said, I don't have time to date, or even relax much because I work more than 80 hours per week," he explained in a rather sharp tone.

"Wow, you're grouchy. You know what I think? I think you need to get some, my friend," Woo Bin gave Ji Hoo a sly grin.

"Some what?" Ji Hoo teased back, raising a brow. "Some sleep? Yeah, I do need to get some sleep; you're absolutely right. If I'm grouchy it's because I've only slept about 6 hours in the past two days."

Woo Bin barked out a laugh. "Well, that , but that's not what I meant."

"I know what you meant, but I'm all set there. All I really need is some sleep."

"Oh, you're all set, really? You're telling me you don't get…lonely?" and Woo Bin raised a brow. "For female companionship?"

Ji Hoo smirked. "I guess so—sometimes—but I manage."

"Oh, you manage, huh?"

"Yeah."

And they exchanged a laugh.

"Seriously, though, can't you just come out Friday night, just this once?" Woo Bin asked.

"It really means that much to you?"

"Yea, it does."

"Well…," Ji Hoo paused. "I don't know, maybe. But I can't Friday because I'm on-call."

"Can't you get out of it? Come on, your girl is really hot…"

"Oh, well, in that case, sure."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Ji Hoo shrugged. "If she's hot, then sure, I'll blow off my job and just let people die and their homes burn to the ground."

Woo Bin gave him a wry smile. "Aish, no need to be a jerk about it."

Ji Hoo flashed him a sardonic smile.

"Ah, you're so dedicated, Ji Hoo-ah," Woo Bin grinned and clasped his hands together. "Well, I suppose I could change the day… Although, Ga Eul said she had to twist her friend's arm to get her to agree to go in the first place. She sounds stubborn, just like you. And…I'll admit that I don't actually know what she looks like."

"Oh, well that really makes me want to change my mind about going," Ji Hoo quipped.

"Well, she does seem to have a lot in common with you, Ji Hoo-ah. And I know how you care more about personality, anyway," and Woo Bin winked at Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo shook his head at his friend. "I'll think about it."

It was then that they heard the piercing screech of the fire alarm resonating throughout the station.

Ji Hoo jumped up from his chair. "Gotta go! I'll call you later, Woo Bin-ah!" and he clapped him on the back.


Ji Hoo rushed out of the room—grabbing his coat and hat off its hook in the process. He ran outside and hopped into the passenger side of the truck.

It was always the same, Ji Hoo mused, as the engine pulled out of the station—honking and speeding out onto the street. One moment, life was peaceful and slow-moving, and suddenly there was an emergency and everything kicked into high-gear.

Ji Hoo enjoyed those quiet, tranquil moments, for he knew how it could all too suddenly come to an abrupt end. In fact, he knew all too well that life, itself, could be over at any given moment.

But Ji Hoo had the ability to seamlessly switch gears and go into rescue mode. His adrenaline would kick in, and he would suddenly become a different person… Ji Hoo been a firefighter for 10 years now—he'd joined as soon as he was old enough, at the age of 18—and fighting fires was as natural as breathing to him. It defined him entirely.


Ji Hoo donned his full gear en route, as the engine fought its way through the afternoon traffic. He and his team, which included the 4 full-time firefighters and 2 volunteers, arrived on the scene minutes later—to a Class C gas fire. Ji Hoo hopped out of the truck, slamming the door behind him. He instructed the driver to man the rig and the engine company to ready the operating hose line, while he led his team into the building to neutralize the fire and ensure everyone got out.

The fire alarm was blaring from inside, and residents began filtering out of the mid-sized apartment building—helping each other along, shielding their faces, and coughing. As Ji Hoo rushed into the building, a middle-aged woman stopped him. She clutched at his jacket sleeve and explained what had happened. She informed him that there were still others inside and frantically plead for him to rescue them. Ji Hoo simply nodded and called out to the EMS team—that had also arrived on site—to take care of her and the other residents.

Once inside, Ji Hoo assessed the situation. He shouted out a few orders to his team—over the noise of the alarm and the scattered, panicked screams.

The priority was to locate, contain, and extinguish the fire—as it always was—but they were also performing a primary search for anyone left inside and guiding people toward the exit.

The firefighters advanced up the stairwell.

Using a thermal imaging camera, the team determined the origin point of the fire, which was in one of the apartments on the 5th floor. Ji Hoo pounded on the door, announcing their presence and demanding that anyone inside evacuate immediately. When there was no response, Ji Hoo checked the door for heat and accessibility. Then, he announced that they were coming in. Another firefighter pulled out his Halligan bar and handed it to Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo stuck the forked end past the interior door jamb and held it there, while Jung-Woo used his ax to strike it.

The door gave, and they burst in. Upon entering, they instantly felt the heat, and the room was covered in a dense layer of smoke, as if traveling through a murky swamp. And the brigade immediately saw the flames rising from the kitchen stove through the open doorway.

A young volunteer called out to Ji Hoo, "Chief, over there!" and he pointed across the room, toward the hazy silhouette of a woman lying face-flat on the floor.

Ji Hoo sent two of his men into the kitchen to extinguish the gas fire with a dry chemical, while he and Jung-Woo attended to the victim.

Ji Hoo and Jung-Woo rushed over to check on the woman lying on the floor. She was alive but barely conscious. She let out a small moan and began coughing. Jung-Woo placed an oxygen mask over her face.

Then, Jung-Woo asked the woman if she was alright. She nodded, and he helped her up. He held onto her waist and placed one of her arms around his neck, supporting her.

"Jung-Woo, we got this. Get her out," Ji Hoo instructed.

But she physically resisted and refused to go—shaking her head and crying out, "No! My son—my little boy—is still inside!"

Ji Hoo began to frantically scan the room with his eyes. "Go on, Jung-Woo!" he demanded.

"No, no, my boy, my boy! Kwang-Min-ah!" the woman struggled with her rescuer and screamed out for her little boy.

"Don't worry, I'll get him," Ji Hoo promised.

The woman choked out a few sobs, and then she nodded.

Using gentle force, Jung-Woo tugged at the young mother's arm and removed her from the apartment, which wasn't difficult in her weakened state.

Meanwhile, Ji Hoo called out for the boy, while the other two firefighters finished off the fire in the kitchen.

"Kwang-Min, Kwang-Min, where are you?" Ji Hoo called out, scouring the small apartment for the boy. When he heard soft crying, he followed it.

Ji Hoo found the boy in the bedroom. He was huddled in a corner against the wall, hugging his legs and calling for his eomma in a hoarse voice—that was barely a whisper.

Ji Hoo rushed to the boy, who was wedged into a small nook between a desk and the wall. "Kwang-Min. I'm Chief Yoon Ji Hoo. I'm here to help. Are you hurt?"

The boy shook his head.

"Can you move?"

The boy slowly nodded and then let out a small series of coughs.

"Good. Will you please come out, then?" Ji Hoo asked, for he was just out of his reach.

Kwang-Min looked up with red, moistened eyes, but he made no attempt to take Ji Hoo's hand. He shook his head and began crying more loudly, "Eommaaa, Eommaaa!"

"Your eomma is OK, Kwang-Min," Ji Hoo replied, "Now, please come with me."

Trembling—and with tears streaming down his cheeks—the boy glanced around the room and then looked back into Ji Hoo's eyes. He shook his head. "I c-c-ant…," and then Kwang-Min began to cough again. He appeared dangerously close to passing out from smoke inhalation. Ji Hoo pulled out his oxygen mask and slipped it through the crack. "Put this on."

The boy did so, and Ji Hoo shoved the desk aside. He knelt before Kwang-Min and looked in his eyes.

Ji Hoo knew that terrified expression that he saw there—he knew it very well. And he offered his hand again.

Then, Ji Hoo heard a high-pitched squeal, following up by a crunching sound, and his eyes shot to the ceiling. It no longer appeared sound.

Ji Hoo's chocolate eyes widened. A fire pocket

Ji Hoo didn't want to alarm the child, but he needed to notify the other two. So, she shouted out to his men in the next room that the fire was rekindling. And then his eyes quickly shot back to Kwang-Min.

"We need to go right now, Kwang-Min."

The boy shook his head again and simply cried for his eomma.

"You can. You can do it," Ji Hoo assured. "I know you're scared, Kwang-Min, but I need you to be brave right now. And I know what it's like because you see, I was in a fire when I was a little boy, too."

Kwang-Min looked up at Ji Hoo with the timid curiosity of a mouse.

"It's going to be fine, so please, just trust me," Ji Hoo said.

Kwang-Min stared into Ji Hoo's eyes.

It was then that Ji Hoo heard a loud crunching sound, and a piece of ceiling tile began to crumble away, as the fire ate its way through like the greedy little animal it was.

Ji Hoo quickly wrapped his arms around the young boy, shielding him entirely and taking the hit upon his own shoulder. The boy cried out, and Ji Hoo quickly scooped him up and rushed out with him.

And Ji Hoo's men finished extinguishing the small, yet rapidly spreading fire before it could do more damage.


The apartment residents waited anxiously for the firefighters to come out with the last person unaccounted for—particularly the young mother of the boy who was still inside—while the EMTs finished tending to the injured. The EMS team was checking the last of the victims, providing oxygen and assessing their condition. A few were put on stretchers and placed in ambulances to be taken to the hospital for additional treatment.

Moments later, Ji Hoo came out carrying the six-year-old boy out in his arms. The mother of the boy was nearby, wearing an oxygen mask, weeping, and praying silently.

Upon seeing the fire chief walk out with her son, she immediately rushed to him and relieved him of his small burden. The young mother cried, hugged, and kissed the child in her arms until the EMTs asked to take him and check that he was alright.

The mother reluctantly gave up her son to one of the EMTs, who carried him over to the truck and sat him down on a stretcher.

Then, the mother looked to Ji Hoo. With gratitude shining in her eyes, she threw her arms around the fire chief's neck, gushing her emotions and her thanks to him for saving her son.

Ji Hoo was used to gratitude of that kind. He was used to getting a hug or even the occasional kiss on the cheek. Thankful women had even attempted to bring him presents afterward, but he never accepted them. He didn't think it right to accept gifts for doing one's job.

Ji Hoo gave her a polite nod after she released him, and then he rushed back inside to ensure the fire was completely out and to perform a final search. The mother went to her son's side and took hold of his hand.

After the fire was vanquished and the final search had been completed—to where everyone was accounted for—Ji Hoo allowed himself to come down from his adrenaline-induced state. It seemed that there were only a few minor injuries—mainly scrapes, superficial burns, and smoke inhalation. Ji Hoo breathed a sigh of relief that no one was injured more badly or killed.

And Ji Hoo was proud of his team. They had all worked well together well, as they always did—even the newer ones—and they were efficient and swift to act.

Finally, Ji Hoo spoke with the owner of the apartment complex and with the residents, who had gathered around. He reported on the damage and informed them of when they would be allowed back in.


As Ji Hoo prepared to head back to the truck, he glanced over to the group of EMTs, who were packing up. And someone caught his eye…

Ji Hoo's lips parted—and he swore he felt his heart speed up a bit—at the sight of a lone female EMT amongst the men. She seemed to be in charge, for she was instructing the other EMTs. Ji Hoo cocked his head to the side to get a better look at her.

The young woman appeared to be in her mid to late 20s. Her dark umber hair was pulled back into a ponytail and covered by a navy-blue hat, and she wore the orange and blue uniform of the emergency medical professionals. Although she was not model-tall or thin, her figure was attractive—slender, yet curvy.

Unable to help himself, Ji Hoo continued to observe her—oblivious to the fact that the other guys were suggesting they go back to the station.

But Ji Hoo's gaze—and full attention—was now fixed upon the mysterious female, who he'd never seen before…

He wasn't sure what it was exactly. Although vague, there was just something about her—the way she carried herself. In her movements, she exuded strength and confidence, but he sensed something else there. Her face was soft and her eyes expressive—and there was an innocence to them.

Ji Hoo watched her toss out a few orders and pack up her medical kit. She tossed her hair back over her shoulder, and then she met his eyes. Her brow wrinkled and then her eyes flickered. She looked angry

Damn, she must have caught me staring…


The female EMT clenched her fists at her sides and began to approach Ji Hoo. She stormed up to him and placed her hands firmly upon her slim hips. Puzzled, Ji Hoo simply stared at her.

She stared back, and Ji Hoo noticed a small wrinkle forming above her nose.

After a moment of silence, she spoke—louder than expected. "Are you in charge here?" she demanded with a brash tone.

Perhaps first impressions are not always accurate…, he mused.

Her eyes were focused upon him, awaiting his answer. Ji Hoo stood up taller and responded, "Yes, I'm—"

But before he could finish his sentence, she cut him off. "What was with that?"

Ji Hoo's brow furrowed in confusion. "What was with what?"

"Well, for starters, how about your slow response time?"

"What are you talking about? We got here as fast as we could, given the usual traffic, and it was well within the acceptable time span."

"You arrived after us," she pointed out.

"By seconds, and you're slightly closer."

"Sometimes, seconds is all it takes."

Ji Hoo exhaled sharply. She certainly had some nerve.

She was briefly silent, but then she seemed to get a second wind. "And then how about that rescue—and the boy?"

"Excuse me?" he replied, incredulous.

"Why did it take you so long to get him out? What were you doing in there?" she besieged.

Ji Hoo felt his patience wearing thin as paper. He wasn't exactly thrilled with the prospect of someone he just met—who wasn't even a firefighter—criticizing his job performance. "What was I doing? he scoffed. "I was doing my job. Believe it or not, it's not as easy as it looks," he added, with a not-so-subtle sarcasm.

She tightened and glared at him—obviously not finding humor in his comment.

Straight-faced, Ji Hoo continued, "Look, I don't know you, and you don't me, but I'll ask you kindly not to question my team or my methods. I don't tell you how to do your job, do I?"

This seemed to quiet her for the moment, yet there was a flicker of malice in her eyes. Perhaps no one had ever spoken up to her like that before. Ji Hoo prepared himself for the tongue-lashing that was sure to follow, but she said nothing.

...

Ji Hoo glanced back at the truck, where all his men were watching in silent astonishment. He rolled his eyes as he turned away, fully expecting to hear about this later. When Ji Hoo returned his gaze to her, she was still casting daggers at him, but then her face relaxed and she muttered, "You're right. Mianhae…," and she bowed her head.

Ji Hoo recoiled in shock at receiving an apology from her. "Um, mianhae, too. That was rude of me…"

She shook her head and glanced away. "Forget it. I'm just glad everyone's alright."

Ji Hoo took a breath before asking, sincerely, "Kwang-Min is alright then?"

Jan Di softened at Ji Hoo's question, as well as his reference to the boy by name. "Yes, he should be fine, thank goodness! We sent him to Seoul Red Cross Hospital to be checked out, though."

Ji Hoo nodded. Kwang-Min had seemed fine to him, too, but then he'd seen the ambulance take him and his mother away. He'd assumed it was just to be on the safe side, but he'd wanted to verify.

"Good. I'll stop by and check on him later." He wasn't sure why he informed her of his plan to do that…

Jan Di nodded, and her lips—shining with their natural color only—curled up into a faint smile. It was sweet and cute, and he found himself curious about her full smile. Surely, it must be radiant…

"That's good of you," she said. "I plan to do that, as well."

He returned with a smile of his own, as he took further note of her face. It was naturally pretty, with only a subtle hint of makeup upon it.

Then, realizing that the argument had prevented proper introductions, Ji Hoo cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck, "So, um, maybe we should start over. I'm Chief Yoon Ji Hoo of the Jongno Fire District," he held out his hand to her. "And you are?"

She glanced down at his hand with a guarded expression, and he wasn't sure she would return the gesture. But then she replied, "Geum Jan Di," and gave him a quick bow. And suddenly, she took his hand and shook it roughly. Her shake was strong, as if she had something to prove.

After the firm handshake, Ji Hoo removed his helmet and held it under one arm.

A brief silence passed between them like a gentle breeze…

He noticed that she seemed to be studying him now, and he watched a small smirk cross her lips. "You're the chief? Really?" and she gave him a look up and down.

"Yes. Is that so surprising?"

Jan Di assessed him. "A little. I mean, you just look so…," and she took in his appearance—his mussed auburn hair, his dark eyes and full lips, his handsome ash-stained face.

And her voice trailed off, as if she'd either lost her train of thought or was unsure whether she should say what she was thinking.

Thinning her lips, she glanced away for a second and finished saying, "…so young…and inexperienced."

Of course, she had to add the latter part, didn't she?

"Actually, I've been doing this for 10 years," Ji Hoo replied, "…And you?" he raised a brow. "How long have you been in this line of work?"

"Six years," she responded immediately.

"Really?" Ji Hoo folded his arms. "Why haven't I seen you around before?"

Jan Di smirked. "What, is that a line?"

Ji Hoo nearly laughed, but he managed to keep a straight-face. "No, just an observation."

She nodded. "Well, I just transferred to this district."

He nodded.

By now, the other firefighters were calling for Ji Hoo and asking him to wrap it up. He turned back to look at them, and they were all grinning.

Ji Hoo sighed and looked back at Jan Di. "Well, I should—" he began.

"…Yeah, me too," she finished.

Ji Hoo nodded to her and then went to the passenger side of the engine. As he reached for the handle and pulled upward, he winced slightly.

Noticing this, Jan Di stated, "You're injured," matter-of-factly.

He glanced back at her. "No, I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" she moved closer to him.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Why don't you just let me take a quick look? It's my job."

"There's no need. I'm fine, really."

"Oh, don't be macho now, come on!"

"Really, you don't have to—," Ji Hoo began, but she was already dragging him back by the arm. She pulled off his jacket and rolled up the sleeve of his tee.

Ji Hoo stared down at her, as she tugged the collar of his shirt aside and studied the area. He glanced back at the guys—who appeared thoroughly amused by the scenario. It was rather humiliating… Ji Hoo cast a glare in the general direction of his men and then turned back to Jan Di.

"Hmm, well, it doesn't look too bad. You have a large bruise forming…and a small gash, though… What happened?"

"Oh, a piece of ceiling tile hit me. No big deal."

"Hm… Wait here; I'll get my medical kit and fix you up!"

Ji Hoo began to tell her that it was not necessary, but she had already jogged off after the kit. Ji Hoo looked back at his men once more and gave them all a pre-emptive warning about making any snide comments.

Jan Di returned with the kit and doctored the minor laceration. "All done," she replied when finished.

"Kamsahamnida," he said with a bow.

Jan Di simply nodded. She gave him a small smile and then returned to her team.


Ji Hoo watched her for a moment before hopping into the passenger side of the truck. And he glanced back at Jung-Woo, who was seated directly behind him. Jung-Woo was grinning at him, but he placed a hand over his mouth to cover it.

"What?" Ji Hoo dared him to speak.

Jung-Woo shook his head. "Nothing," he said, grinning.


On the ride back, the taunting began—that is, until Ji Hoo threatened the men with extra chores around the station. It died out then.

That evening, after a visit to the hospital—as promised—and ensuring that Kwang-Min was alright, Ji Hoo brought back pizza for the guys. Over dinner, they sat around talking. As the evening wore on, things grew silly, and the interaction between Chief Yoon and the female EMT inevitably came up again.

"So, did you see that female EMT at the hospital when you visited the boy, Chief?" an older firefighter by the name of Yeong-Ho asked.

Ji Hoo sighed and shook his head no. Apparently, his empty threat had done no good whatsoever. He took a bite of a slice of pizza.

"Aigoo, Chief, I can't believe how that EMT chick just went off on you!" one of the chattier young volunteers-in-training exclaimed—a nineteen-year old named Jae-Hyun.

"Yea, but our chief here didn't put up with it," and Jung-Woo nudged Ji Hoo from his seat beside him.

Ji Hoo smirked and took another bite, chewing it thoroughly.

"Yea, yeah, Chief went right back at her!" a man—slightly younger than Ji Hoo—named Do-Yun put up his dukes and began dancing a circle around Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo remained seated, shaking his head.

"Yea, and then she started undressing the chief, ow, ow!" Jae-Hyun hooted.

Ji Hoo scoffed. "She wasn't undressing me, you dummy. She was tending to my wound, which I did not ask her to do," and he cast his eyes to the side, as the corners of his mouth involuntarily twisted.

"Oh yeah, sure, right! How is that teeny-tiny cut on your shoulder, by the way, Chief?"

Ji Hoo pointed a finger at Jae-Hyun. "Ya, I'm warning you, Kid. Stop talking about it, or I'll punish you."

Jae-Hyun laughed, along with the others.

"I'd listen to him if I were you, New Guy!" Jung-Woo advised.

Jae-Hyun just chuckled. "But, I'm worried about the chief!" he responded to his sunbaenim. And then the younger firefighter turned back to Ji Hoo and laid a hand upon his shoulder, "Do you think you'll make it? Oh, please don't die, Chief! We'd be lost without you!"

"Alright, that's it. For your insolence, drop and give me 50."

Jae-Hyun looked perplexed. "You serious, Chief?"

Ji Hoo folded his arms. "You bet I am. Now, get down there!"

"Yes, Chief!" Jae-Hyun saluted and immediately dropped down and began knocking out push-ups.

Ji Hoo folded his arms and monitored the penalty. He wasn't actually angry, but once in awhile he needed to get his guys back in line—they spoke entirely too freely sometimes.

Ji Hoo leaned forward, resting his arms on his knees as he supervised the push-ups.

"Get lower," Ji Hoo barked.

Jung-Woo smirked from beside Ji Hoo, "I warned ya," he muttered. Ji Hoo and Jung-Woo exchanged an amused glance before looking back down upon Jae-Hyun.

The room grew silent for a few minutes, while Jae-Hyun completed the set, until finally, Yeong-Ho mused, "You know, that's true that you didn't ask her to treat your wound, Chief..."

Ji Hoo gave a brief nod and continued chewing.

Another volunteer—who was in his early twenties—by the name of Sung-Jin came up and put a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder, smiling. Ji Hoo squinted up at him. "You know what I think, Chief? I think that...," he leaned in closer, "…she wants you, Chief."

Ji Hoo shook his head and gave the guy a light shove. "You're out of your damn mind."

The others all laughed. And then Jae-Hyun shot upright after finishing his last push-up.

"No, she definitely wants you, Chief!" Sung-Jin assured, "You should go for it!"

Ji Hoo shook his head. He glanced to Jung-Woo—who raised a brow—and then back to Sung-Jin.

Ji Hoo had had enough for one day, so he decided to start fighting back. "You think every woman who makes eye contact wants you, Sung-Jin," and Ji Hoo smirked, "…which is why you strike out so much when we go to bars."

"Oooohhh!" Jae-Hyun shouted out, and the others burst into raucous laughter.

Sung-Jin frowned and placed a hand over his heart. "That hurt, Chief…," he moped. And then he added haughtily under his breath, "Why are they lookin' if they're not interested...?"

Ji Hoo rolled his eyes.

"But seriously, Chief Yoon, what do you think of the EMT girl? Ohh, what was her name…?" Do-Yun inquired of the room.

"Geum Jan Di," Ji Hoo replied without missing a beat.

"Oh, you remember her name, do you, Chief?" Do-Yun teased.

"Do you want to do push-ups, too, Do-Yun?" Ji Hoo warned. The younger guy lowered his head in humility, "No, Chief. Mianhada."

"And, of course, I remember. It was only hours ago. Plus, I never forget anything," Ji Hoo joked.

The others chuckled, and some nodded in agreement.

"But she was pretty cute, right?" Sung-Jin chimed in. "Come on, Chief. Didn't you think she was cute?"

Ji Hoo paused to consider the question, which he wished to avoid answering. Sure, she was cute—very cute—but she was also loud, bossy, and a little annoying... Despite all that, the thought of her brought an inexplicable smile to Ji Hoo's face.

While Ji Hoo reflected upon his earlier interaction with Geum Jan Di—and pondered his choice of words—the others began talking amongst themselves and offering their own opinions on her.

Jae-Hyun commented that he found her pretty but a little old for him. Yeong-Ho agreed that she was cute and pretty, but he stated that he shouldn't even comment, since he was married.

"I think she was OK, but I guess I just like em more feminine," Do-Yun added to the debate.

"What are you talking about? Who says she's not feminine? And there's nothing hotter than a girl in uniform, I say!" Sung-Jin retorted.

"Oh, yeah, yeah! And we need to see her without the hat and with her hair down! And maybe with a cute outfit on!" Jae-Hyun inserted.

Ji Hoo exhaled sharply and shook his head at them. Although, he had to admit—to himself—that he wouldn't mind seeing those things, too.

"Maybe we should steal her away from Emergency Services and have her for our team!" Sung-Jin suggested.

A few agreed, and then they started rating her.

"Maybe you should all stop objectifying her," Ji Hoo's responded.

"Aw, come on, Chief…we're just having fun!" Jae-Hyun whined. And then he immediately bowed his head and clasped his hands together in a prayer position. "Mianhada, Chief! Please don't make me do more push-ups!"

Ji Hoo sighed and brushed his bangs out of his face. Jung-Woo cast a glance to Ji Hoo and studied him for a moment.

Finally, Jung-Woo chimed in on the discussion. "He's just saying that because he likes her, right, Chief?"

Ji Hoo shot Jung-Woo an annoyed look, as if to suggest he 'grow up.' Jung-Woo gave him a disarming smile in return and clapped his friend on the back, in hope of forgiveness.

But Ji Hoo didn't indicate whether he would, one way or the other. He merely tightened his mouth and looked to the others. "Besides, what's the point of having her here, anyway? We'll undoubtedly see her again. We all work together, so to speak," Ji Hoo muttered.

"Oh, so you have thought about seeing her again…," Jung-Woo smirked over at Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo again ignored his friend.

"Yeah, but then she would be here all the time, and you and she could flirt some more," Sung-Jin went to Ji Hoo and nudged him suggestively.

"Flirting? You call that flirting?"

A resounding 'yes' came from the group, as well as comments about it being love and it being a match made in Heaven…

Ji Hoo groaned. "We weren't flirting. It was an argument."

"Same thing," Sung-Jin replied.

Ji Hoo shook his head. Understanding a little more why you're single now, Sung-Jin…

But instead, Ji Hoo came back with, "So, you guys don't even care that she basically insulted our entire brigade?"

Sung-Jin shrugged. "I dunno, I like em a little feisty," he smirked.

And Ji Hoo rolled his eyes.

"Maybe she didn't mean it," Jae-Hyun suggested. "Maybe she just has the hots for you, Chief, and she was playing hard to get!"

"I don't think that was it," Ji Hoo remarked.

"Don't be modest, Chief; you're a catch!" Jae-Hyun laughed. "And they say a strong no is a yes, right?"

Ji Hoo grinned at the younger firefighter. "Oh, you have a lot to learn about women, Jae-Hyun…"

"He's right. It was more like she had PMD or something…," Sung-Jin mumbled.

Ji Hoo placed a hand to his head and shook it.

"PMD? What the hell is that? Are you talking about PMS?" Do-Yun replied. And Jae-Hyun made a squeamish face.

"Yeah, that's it! She has PMS!" Sung-Jin snapped his fingers.

Do-Yun shook his head and muttered, "Babo…," under his breath. "It's not Premenstrual Disease!"

"Actually, I think my wife might have that disease," Yeong-Ho commented, with a hearty laugh.

Chuckles were heard all around the room.

Ji Hoo released a sharp exhale and stood. "And on that note… I think you're all babos," Ji Hoo announced, "and rather than sticking around here discussing PMS, I'm going to my office to finish my paperwork and then get some sleep. I suggest you all find something constructive to do. Oh, and don't disturb me unless it's important."

They all stared over at him, as he began to walk away.

"Oh, but wait, Chief! Speaking of women, I was wondering what ever happened to that model you used to date. She was hot as hell," Sung-Jin interjected.

They all silently glared at Sung-Jin, and Jung-Woo gave him a sharp elbow to the side. He let out a small 'ow' and rubbed the area.

Without beating around the bush, Ji Hoo replied, "She moved to Paris."

The room grew quiet for a good 30 seconds, and Ji Hoo began to walk off again. But then, Jae-Hyun suddenly spoke out, "We just want to see you happy, Chief!"

The others would surely rib him later for the overly sentimental statement, but for now, they all simply nodded in agreement.

"That's very nice, but I'm fine. I am happy. I have you guys, after all," and Ji Hoo put on a smile.

"Man, did you ever get screwed!" Jung-Woo joked, and everyone laughed.

As Ji Hoo returned to his office, he smiled faintly. They were a bunch of idiots, but good guys deep down. He knew that any one of them would risk his life for any other person in that room, as well as for a citizen. And he wouldn't trade them for anything…


Moments later, Ji Hoo settled into his office and began to fill out the report for the day. Not long after, Jung-Woo caught up with him in his office.

"Ji Hoo-ah," he addressed. They were of similar ages and experience levels—plus, they were good friends—so he always called Ji Hoo by his name during off-hours or when the others weren't around.

"What can I do for you, Jung-Woo-ah?" and Ji Hoo offered him a seat.

"Well," Jung-Woo gave a little laugh. "I was wondering what you really think of Geum Jan Di."

Ji Hoo exhaled and raised a finger to his lips. This again…

"All joking aside, do you think you'll ask her out?"

Ji Hoo thought on it for a moment and then shook his head. "No, I don't plan on it. I just met her. I don't even know anything about her."

Jung-Woo kept his eyes on Ji Hoo, and he nodded.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well, I ask because…if you're not interested in going for it, I thought…maybe I would…"

Ji Hoo blinked. "Really? You like her, huh?" and he squeezed his hands together.

"Yeah," Jung-Woo shrugged. "She's cute, and she seems pretty cool…"

Ji Hoo's eyes shot to the ceiling, and his lips curved upward slightly. "Yeah, she does…," and he lost himself in thought temporarily. "…When she's not biting my head off, anyway," he retorted, chuckling, once he returned from his reverie.

Jung-Woo gave off a short laugh. "Yeah, true."

Then, there was a silence, as Ji Hoo observed a clearly distracted Jung-Woo. Ji Hoo stared down at his hands and pursed his lips. He took a deep breath and looked up again, smiling at Jung-Woo. "You know, you didn't need my permission on this…," and he paused, "…I think that you should ask her out if you want to."

A wide smile crossed Jung-Woo's face. "Gomawo, you're the best!" and he clasped hands with Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo gave him a small nod. "Good luck."

Jung-Woo smiled. "Gomawo."

And Ji Hoo flashed a 'fighting' fist at him.

Jung-Woo chuckled and flashed one back. "Well, I guess I better get some work done…," he said and exited the office.


That evening…

Ji Hoo's shift had ended, and though his apartment was only two blocks away, he chose to sleep at the station. He was almost always at the station, even when he wasn't working. He slept there more than at his home, in fact. It was just simpler—he told himself—when he needed to be there early the next day. So, he went upstairs to the sleeping quarters and climbed up into the top bunk.

Ji Hoo lay down upon the bed and stared up at the alabaster ceiling, thankful for the quiet once more. Although his team acted like a bunch of morons sometimes, he truly enjoyed their company. But he still appreciated his alone time—and the quiet.

Placing a hand behind his head, Ji Hoo lay there—staring up at the small crack he always noticed and wishing for his dreams to be good that night…

Since a young age, Ji Hoo had experienced a recurring nightmare… Screams and cries for Eomma and Appa amidst flames… Smoke so thick that it rendered him unable to see, nor breath… Wandering and coming to dead-end after dead-end… An inescapable trap…

The dream didn't occur every time he drifted off but often enough to disturb his sleeping patterns… It was the same thing he went into daily, but this was very different…

Ji Hoo's chest slowly rose and fell, as he breathed in and out. He shut his eyes and attempted to drift off, but he lay awake for several hours…

But this night, it was a very different type of specter visiting his mind—one he welcomed much more than the typical images that haunted him… For some reason, tonight, he kept seeing her face—the face of Geum Jan Di.

Although not nearly as disturbing to him, the appearance of Geum Jan Di in his head was curious. Why was she making a profound appearance there?

But there was something completely captivating about Geum Jan Di—something about her that made him want to know more...

At first, he'd been irritated with this woman for attacking his men and his authority, but then he'd seen another side to her—one soft, yet strong.

He recalled that faint hint of a smile she gave him. It was more of a small smirk but completely enticing nonetheless, and he found himself wanting to see more of her smile… What would that be like?

Ji Hoo closed his eyes for a second—to imagine—and his lips curled up.

And then there was her touch… Despite her rough exterior and sharp words, when she was tending him, she was completely gentle…

Ji Hoo's eyes shot open again. He sighed and rolled his eyes at himself, before shutting them again. If the guys could read his thoughts…

He recalled his men's teasing. It was ridiculous and mere speculation to suggest that she liked him, but then again, there was a moment when she was looking at him that he suspected that she might find him attractive…

Ji Hoo scoffed at himself.

Why was he trying to figure her out—and reading into things that probably meant nothing?

Still, she was a nice distraction. But much more than that. In fact, Ji Hoo hadn't found himself so suddenly and utterly bewitched by a woman since Min Seo Hyun…

With Seo Hyun, they had known each other as children, and he'd always liked her.  But they lost touch with each other for a long time.  And then, when they reconnected as adults, it was an instant and immense attraction—but just that, purely attraction. With Geum Jan Di, it was something with far more potential…

But perhaps he was speculating again…

And Jung-Woo likes her, he thought, So, I should just let it go, shouldn't I…?

...

When his mind gave him no answer to his internal inquiry, Ji Hoo sighed. Perhaps he was just lonely… Oh, he had his fellow firefighters, but spending 90% of time with a bunch of nutty guys wasn't always enough.

Perhaps Woo Bin was right... Perhaps he did need to try and move on—go out more, date… And Ji Hoo decided to take Woo Bin up on his offer for the blind double-date.


A/N: Thoughts? I'm not so great with the action sequences, so hopefully, that came out alright. And I did my best with the guy humor in here, lol.