Nightingale

To Love, Honor, and Protect

A/N: As always, I am sorry for the delay and wish I could update more frequently.  Thank you for your patience!  Reminder, this is an alternate universe (AU) story, so some things will be very different from BOF and some things may remain similar.  I will occasionally parallel the show or alter events that happened in BOF to fit this story.  I don’t go out of my way to do this, but I do try to toss some of that in here and there to connect it to the show.  So, if Jan Di, Ji Hoo, or any other characters ever seem OOC (out of character) it’s because they’re not EXACTLY the same people as in the show.  But I hope I have kept their basic essence.  I hope this finds you all well, and I do hope you enjoy!    

I do not own any rights to:  John Keats’ Ode to a Nightingale, Emile Bronte’s Wuthering Heights, Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations, nor William Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet

Chapter Three: Nightingale 

Ji Hoo awoke the next morning feeling as though his head had not only been slammed against a brick wall but repeatedly.  He squinted in pain as the morning sun permeated his bedroom window and subsequently assaulted his eyes.  But despite how bad he felt, he had to admit that he was better than last night.  This morning, it felt more like that time he went out drinking with the guys for his birthday.  After that hangover, he vowed to never again take so much alcohol, or at least to chase it with water and take aspirin…

As Ji Hoo sat up in bed, his dreams came rushing back to him.  They had been interesting last night.  For one, he’d dreamt that Geum Jan Di came to his home and cared for him throughout the night…

Ji Hoo swung his feet over the edge of the bed and stood.  A bit wobbly from being in bed for so many hours, he made his way to the kitchen.  As he entered, he noticed something on the island.  He removed the covering to reveal a full meal of seafood porridge and side dishes.  He stared at the meal for a moment, and the hint of a smile crossed his lips.

So, it wasn’t a dream… 

Geum Jan Di had come to his home, and she must have made this for him.  In addition to that, she had treated and taken care of him throughout the night.  He wondered what time she finally went home... 

And little by little, pieces of their conversation from last night began rolling back to him on a wave.  He’d unwittingly revealed a lot to her last night while speaking without reservation—or full mental capacity…  Perhaps he should be embarrassed, but instead he felt only appreciation for having her at his side last night.  After all, it wasn’t something he was used to—have someone to take care of him…  And he had to admit, he kind of liked it… 

As he sat down to the breakfast Geum Jan Di had prepared for him, Ji Hoo pondered on how he could thank Geum Jan Di for her kindness.  Maybe she would let him take her out.  It was then that Ji Hoo suddenly remembered something…   

The date… 

“Crap,” he muttered, placing a hand to his forehead.  Dropping his head, he growled at his own negligence and went looking for his phone.  He couldn’t find it right away, so he looked all around his place.  After tossing his pillows aside he noticed it lying underneath.  Ji Hoo picked it up and selected a particular contact. 

…                 

“Woo Bin-ah,” he greeted the man on the other end. 

“Yes, and I’m very sorry.  I got sick and passed out last night at home…”

And then Woo Bin explained to Ji Hoo that his date had come, stayed for a little while, and then left.

Ji Hoo rubbed his temple.  “Ahh, I feel absolutely horrible, Woo Bin-ah.  Could you give me the girl’s name and number, so I can call her to apologize?” He pulled out a notepad. 

Ji Hoo’s brow furrowed.  “Say that name again.”  Perhaps he was still a bit feverish… 

Clearing his throat, Ji Hoo replied, “That’s what I thought you said…  Arasso…,” and he jotted down the number.  “Thanks.”

After hanging up, Ji Hoo stared at the phone number on the clean white sheet of notepad paper.  He didn’t need to write the name down.  It was her.  It was Geum Jan Di.  She had been his date, and he’d stood her up…

But then she had shown up at his place.  It was strange…  Why had she come?  Did she know he was supposed to be her date?  It didn’t seem like it...  She’d said something—he tried to recall—about plans falling through… 

And then he recalled her saying she was doing a favor for someone, but what was she talking about?  And how did she get in?  There were only a couple of people who could have let her in.  One was Woo Bin.  The other was Jung-Woo.   

Ji Hoo mused on these questions as he ate the breakfast she prepared.  Once he focused on the food, he noticed how delicious it was.  But he couldn’t fully enjoy it, for his stomach had soured at the thought of letting her down.  For some reason, it was really eating away at him.  And what tangled his insides even worse was recalling how much she had done for him last night.  It wasn’t that he owed his life to her, but he definitely owed her a lot.  It took a special kind of person to do what she did for someone she barely knew…  

First things first, he owed her an apology for standing her up.  And he decided to go to her in person and give her one.  He didn’t relish the conversation to come, but he was honorable, so he would own up to his mistake.  He would just tell her and get it over with, and hopefully, she would forgive him.  At least—he told himself—she knew his reason for not showing up.

Having decided this, he was able to finish the breakfast she’d painstakingly prepared.  It would be an insult to let it go to waste.  And he’d already insulted her enough, hadn’t he? 

Earlier that Morning…

Jan Di awoke at 5 minutes to 7 AM.  She was lying on her side on a couch and using her arm as a pillow.  Her eyelashes fluttered like tiny wings, as she opened her eyes and took in her surroundings.  Suddenly, she gasped and sat straight up on the leather couch.  Glancing at her watch, she gasped a second time.  I was here all night?!  Quickly, she stood up. 

Wandering around the room looking for her purse, Jan Di thought back to the events of last night.  And it didn’t take long for her to recall everything.

After caring for Yoon Ji Hoo throughout the night—and then stopping at a 24-hour market for some groceries—she had cooked a healthy breakfast for him and left it on his kitchen island.  After checking on him, she wandered back into his living room.  Exhausted by that point, she decided to just sit down and rest her eyes for a moment before going home, but she must have drifted off… 

“I need to go home!” Jan Di exclaimed aloud—and then she immediately covered to silence herself.  She didn’t have work until later, but she was feeling a bit improper for staying the night there—even though it was completely innocent. 

Finally finding her purse on a nearby end table, she grasped onto the handle and prepared to leave.  But she decided to check on the ailing firefighter before going.  She set down her purse again.  And then she tiptoed through his lavish apartment, across the hardwood floor, which made absolutely no squeaks.  When she passed by the bathroom, she caught sight of herself through the opened door in the full-length mirror.  And she cringed in horror.

She looked a fright, like some character from a monster movie.    What was that one—the Bride of Frankenstein?  That’s what she looked like…   

Her hair was a mess—sticking up and out every which way.  Sighing, she smoothed down the dark, unruly strands before peeking into his bedroom.  Yoon Ji Hoo appeared to be sleeping peacefully.  He was completely silent, though, so she snuck closer—just to make sure he was still breathing… 

Standing over his bed, she observed her patient.  He still looked a bit peaked but much better than last night.  His eyes were dark underneath, and his skin was pale—but not that ghoulish color from the night before.  She noticed that his natural color was returning, which was a good sign.  And his moistened bangs fell across his forehead, giving him a boyish look that made Jan Di smile. 

To her relief, he was still breathing, and Jan Di stood there in a drowsy daze, watching his chest rise and fall beneath the blanket.  It was lulling, almost enough to put her to sleep right where she stood.

Shaking herself—physically—from her trance, she reached down to tuck his covers tight around him.  And then carefully, she reached out to place a hand upon his forehead.  She sighed in relief at discovering that his fever remained broken. 

Then Jan Di glanced at the gauze-covered wound on his cheek, and she wondered if she could check the dressing without waking him.  After only a few seconds’ hesitation, she decided to risk it, since it needed to be done.  So, she kneeled beside his bed and ultra-carefully peeled up the layer of gauze. 

Ji Hoo lightly stirred—causing her to freeze—but he did not wake.  She exhaled and continued, delicately peeling at the gauze.  It came off cleanly, and Jan Di observed his infected burn.  It seemed to be healing well, so she grabbed the first aid supplies and did a quick change of the dressing.  After finishing, she stood and took one last look at him.  As she did so, he began to stir again.  He rolled onto his side, startling her, so she rushed out of the room.  Immediately, she left. 

As Jan Di headed out of Ji Hoo’s building and onto the street, which was now well-lit by the morning sun, she thought more about last night.  Somehow, it felt like the longest night of her life, which was odd considering she had spent many late nights on the job…  But it wasn’t long in a bad way.  In fact, it had its extremely pleasant moments—when she and Ji Hoo talked.  And Jan Di had the feeling that she wasn’t going to forget about it anytime soon. 

Even if she were crazy enough to believe that there was something magical about their connection, it wasn’t going to happen.  It was obvious that he wasn’t available.  She’d seen the picture…  So, why should she even bother?    

So, Jan Di shrugged it off and told herself it was just some freak thing that she should forget all about.  Perhaps her compassion for him in his suffering had triggered these unexpected emotions—like some strange kind of Florence Nightingale Effect…  Jan Di had to laugh at herself for the things her restless mind came up with. 

She didn’t often take on the role of caregiver like that, and she wasn’t sure what had possessed her to throw herself into it so much.  It wasn’t that she was wholly inexperienced at treating others—she had a little brother and had babysat Ga Eul’s niece and nephew before.  But typically, in her job, she would administer CPR or First Aid—hopefully saving the person’s life—and then she would transport them to a hospital where the doctors would take over.  They were the ones who truly cared for the ailing. 

Being with Yoon Ji Hoo last night, it felt like she had entered some parallel dimension…      

What simultaneously delighted and frightened Jan Di was the instant connection she had formed with Yoon Ji Hoo.  Did he feel it, too?  She wondered.  It was definitely strange how much they had bonded.  Even at the best of times with her ex, they had never connected this much.  And she felt a bit silly, but she wondered if it was possible for someone to exist who shared a part of your soul…

Jan Di groaned at herself.  Ahh, I’m sounding like Ga Eul now… 

Speaking of Ga Eul…  All of a sudden, Jan Di wondered how the rest of Ga Eul’s date with Song Woo Bin had gone.  She was extremely curious. 

The guy seemed nice enough, but she didn’t quite trust him with Ga Eul.  For one, he was entirely too smooth…  Two, and more importantly, he seemed to have some problem with discussing anything related to his family.  He was very careful last night to avoid that subject and divert any conversation on the topic.  And Jan Di mused on what kind of skeletons were in this man’s closet… 

Regardless, Jan Di wanted to know about the date.  So, with a yawn, she pulled out her phone to give her best friend a call.

“Yoboseyo,” Ga Eul answered after a single ring. 

“Ga Eul-ah, I’m sorry to call so early.  I hope I didn’t wake you.”

“Good morning, Jan Di-ah!  No, of course not.  I was awake,” the bright-eyed girl responded.  And it was clear that she had been up.  After all, Ga Eul was one of those annoyingly chipper morning people. 

Jan Di, on the other hand, was not—mainly because her job involved a lot of night hours.  And Ga Eul knew this well.  “What are you doing up so early, Jan Di-ah?”

“Well, I, uh…  What, I can’t get up early, Ga Eul-ah?” Jan Di snipped, with an edge to her tone. 

Ga Eul smirked at her response.  Someone is crabby this morning…  “Sure, you can, but you usually don’t.”

“Well, I’m just heading home, actually,” Jan Di admitted. 

“Oh?  Did you get called in to work?”

Jan Di inwardly groaned.  It was funny that she had called for information about Ga Eul, but now she was being grilled for information.  How quickly her dear friend turned the tables on her!  Ms. Chu Ga Eul had a knack for that, and Jan Di imagined she would make a good spy… 

“No, I didn’t.”

This piqued Chu Ga Eul’s curiosity.  It wasn’t like her best friend to stay out all night unless she was working.  “…OK, so, what gives?” the persistent young woman continued.  “Where are you coming from then?  Errands?  Early morning errands?” 

“What’s with the third degree, Ga Eul-ah?” she demanded.

“I’m just curious.  Besides, you always ask me questions.”

Touche… 

“Well, I’m older, and it’s my job to look out for you,” Jan Di proudly informed.   

To which, Ga Eul simply chuckled.  “You know, you don’t have to do that anymore…”

“But I always will.”

“I know, and I’m OK with that.  But this one time, indulge me.”

“Alright, fine,” and Jan Di sighed, knowing she was sure to get an earful.  “…Well, if you must know, I just left…,” and she paused to nibble on her lip before continuing, “…Chief Yoon’s place.”  She was careful to speak formally of him. 

“Whaaat?  Omo…you…you…?”

“Before you go any further, it’s not what you think!” Jan Di practically shouted into the phone.  “…You are way off the mark so don’t even think it,” she continued more calmly. 

. . .

Although Jan Di attempted to divert the conversation back to her friend, Ga Eul was not the type to just let things go.  So, with a defeated sigh, Jan Di told her the whole story. 

“So, that’s all, and I’d appreciate if we could just change the subject.”

. . . 

Afterward, the emergency medical technician’s best friend remained silently pensive for several long seconds.  “So, um…did your date from last night ever call, Jan Di-ah?”

It was a change of topic but not by much. 

“No.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.  You know, I was upset for you all night,” Ga Eul admitted.  “Here I was the one to beg you to agree to it, and your date didn’t even show!”

“It’s OK, really.  I wasn’t upset for long.” 

“That’s a relief.”

“In fact, I haven’t even thought much about it.”  But more than that, Jan Di was almost relieved that her date hadn’t shown because despite Yoon Ji Hoo being ill, she couldn’t imagine her date being more pleasant than the evening she ended up having.  It sounded so strange in her head, almost laughable, and surely Ga Eul or anyone else would find it ridiculous were she to admit that.

“Mm, right,” Ga Eul uttered, without putting much effort into sounding nonchalant. 

“What does that mean?” And Jan Di could practically hear the gears turning in Ga Eul’s head.  Her best friend was a kind and understanding person, but she certainly had opinions about matters. 

Delicately, Ga Eul began, “Just that…well, you weren’t really into the idea in the first place, and…”

“And what?”

An impish grin crossed her lips.  “I thought you wanted to drop the subject,” Ga Eul replied. 

Jan Di released a heavy exhale.  “It’s fine.  Go on, tell me what you are thinking…” 

Ga Eul had tried to refrain from speaking her mind, but since Jan Di was going to ask, she would tell her exactly what she thought.  “Well, OK.  I think that you are not worried about the blind date guy because you are into the fireman instead.”  

Jan Di scoffed.  Ga Eul certainly said what she was thinking, quite bluntly.  And on this subject, she was beginning to sound like a broken record, but Jan Di could give no argument. 

Jan Di simply picked up her pace down the street. 

. . .  

When the silence encompassed them, Ga Eul spoke—straight to the point.  “Why don’t you ask him out, Jan Di-ah—your fireman?” she asked hopefully. 

“He’s not MY fireman, Ga Eul-ah!”

Ga Eul couldn’t help but giggle.  It was as if they had regressed 10 to 15 years, and she couldn’t resist taunting her oldest friend about that.  “Yeah, yeah, I know.  And even though I know you’re going to deny it, it’s obvious that you like him.  So why don’t you just cut the charade and go for it?  It’s not like we’re in junior high anymore.”   

Jan Di’s mouth dropped open.  What had happened to her sweet, shy best friend who used to make the boys crazy because she wouldn’t give them even the slightest bit of attention?   

“No way!  I can’t do that.  And why would I?”

Ga Eul spoke in a feather soft voice, “You know, it’s OK to ask a guy out, Jan Di-ah.  You’re a grown woman now.  It’s OK to ask for what you want.” 

Jan Di poked out her cheeks.  Ga Eul had a point, and Jan Di was certainly not anti-feminist.  But still, it had been so long since she dated.  She wasn’t even sure she remembered how to…  That was another reason for her relief over her date not showing up.   

“No,” Jan Di answered, shaking her head in certainty.  “I just don’t think I could do it. It’s too weird…  And don’t you think it’s a little bit desperate?”

Ga Eul sighed.  “No, it’s not desperate.”

Finally arriving at the door to her apartment, Jan Di went in.  After slumping onto her small couch, she exhaled into the phone.  “It doesn’t even matter, Ga Eul-ah.  Even if I wanted to...  I think he has a girlfriend...”

Jan Di dropped her head back against the couch cushions.   

“Oh,” Ga Eul’s own disappointment seemed to mirror Jan Di’s.  “He told you that?”

“No,” Jan Di replied, and sullenly she recalled the photo of the waxen beauty hidden away in his dresser drawer.  He’d also babbled something about needing to meet someone when he was delirious from fever…  

“No, he didn’t tell me that, but I saw a picture of them together.  And she’s a model… I recognize her.”

“Omo…  Well, then where was his model girlfriend of his last night?  Why wasn’t she the one to care for him all night long?” Ga Eul placed a hand upon her hip in protest. 

Jan Di shrugged on her end.  “I don’t know.  Maybe she was busy, or he didn’t tell her.”

“Well, are you going to find out for sure?”

“No, why should I?  It’s not that big of a deal.  …There are plenty of guys out there,” Jan Di added, unconvincingly.

“Whatever you say, Jan Di-ah.”

. . .

“So, enough about me!  How did your date with Song Woo Bin—the mystery man—go?”

Ga Eul’s cheeks flushed lightly.  “Well, it went just fine, Jan Di-ah.”

“Elaborate, please.”

Ga Eul grinned and bit down on her lip.  “Well, after dinner, he took me dancing…”

“Ooo, dancing…  And is he a good dancer?”

“Yes, he’s excellent.  We danced a little before at the club, but this was…a different kind of dancing.  It was more formal and…closer.”

“How close?”

“Don’t worry.  Not that close, Jan Di-ah,” Ga Eul smirked.

“Did he keep his hands to himself?” Jan Di asked suspiciously.

Ga Eul laughed.  “Yes, he was a gentleman.”  And then she proceeded to detail the fancy venue that Woo Bin had taken her to and the elegant dancing that went on there.  Ga Eul had attempted the advanced dance moves—not very well—but Woo Bin had been patient with her and eventually, she got the hang of it. 

“That’s nice, Ga Eul-ah, and then what…?”

Ga Eul knew just what Jan Di was getting at.  “Don’t worry, Jan Di-ah.  He took me home, and he kissed me goodnight, but nothing else happened.”

Jan Di breathed a sigh of relief.  “Good.”  Grinning, Jan Di got a thought in her head.  After her friend’s evil line of questioning earlier, she owed her some payback.  “So, Ga Eul-ah…  Is Song Woo Bin a good kisser?”

There was a pregnant pause. 

“Ga Eul-ah,” Jan Di called her name when she didn’t respond.

. . .

“Ga Eul-ah…” For a moment, Jan Di was unsure of whether she was still there. 

. . .

Finally, Ga Eul returned from wherever she had been.  “Yes, Jan Di-ah…  He’s a very good kisser…,” and Ga Eul recalled the kiss.  His lips were soft and moist, and he certainly had experience…  “But…,” she accidentally muttered aloud. 

“But what, Ga Eul-ah?”

Ga Eul chuckled.  She didn’t really want to go into how despite the wonderful evening she’d had, despite Song Woo Bin’s good looks and cool moves, that she wasn’t sure yet if he was The One.  She’d told herself long ago that she would know it right away when she found him...  But maybe that was just naïve.  “Oh, nothing.  Never mind.  I had a great time.”

Jan Di smiled in satisfaction.  However, her deviousness had backfired a little, for her question had only elicited wonderings of her own—on what it would be like to kiss…other people… 

With a smack to her forehead, as if that would banish such thoughts, Jan Di ended the call with Ga Eul. But she couldn’t stop thinking about last night…

The Night Before…

After leaving Lee Jung-Woo with an ‘I’ll think about it and get back to you,’ in response to his offer to get coffee, Jan Di left the station and walked the two blocks to Yoon Ji Hoo’s place.  It took some time, but she finally found his building.  Upon arrival, she stared up at the endless levels that seemed to reach the clouds.    

Taking a breath, Jan Di stepped inside. 

As Jung-Woo had promised, the door man was expecting her.  He was a friendly, older gentleman, who bowed to her upon arrival.  “You must be Miss Geum Jan Di.”

Jan Di confirmed with a slow nod.

The old man smiled and asked politely if she would wait a moment while he tried to reach Master Yoon.  He picked up his phone and called. 

While he phoned, Jan Di wandered the lobby of the apartment complex—food in hand.  And she took the place in.  It was breathtaking.  She’d never been in such a place…    

There were large floral arrangements adorning the entryway and plush carpeting.  What she imagined were expensive paintings hung on the walls, and when she glanced up, she noticed a large crystal chandelier. 

Wow, this place is incredible—even the lobby!

“Excuse me,” the friendly doorman interrupted, tearing her away from admiring the place.   

Jan Di turned to face him.

He bowed to her and said, “Master Yoon is not answering, so you can just go up and try him there,” and he motioned toward the elevators. 

“Are you sure it’s OK?”

The man’s eyes crinkled, and he nodded. 

“But...maybe I...”  Maybe I shouldn’t…  She was still feeling funny about the whole thing, and she considered just leaving the food with the doorman.  She heaved a sigh.   

“Is something wrong Miss?” and the doorman’s withered face creased.  

Jan Di put on a smile and shook her head.  “No, not at all.”

The man smiled back and ushered her toward the elevators.  “Hit the button, and it will take you directly to Master Yoon’s penthouse.”  

Wow, he has his own private elevator…and a penthouse…    

Jan Di nodded and thanked the man.  She bowed to him and then got into the elevator.  She watched the elderly man bow back to her as the doors slammed shut.  And elevator began its ascent.  As it rose, Jan Di felt her hand—that held the bag with the soup container inside—begin to lightly shake.  She didn’t have a fear of elevators, so why was she suddenly so nervous?    

. . .

It didn’t take long for the lift to reach its destination and when it opened, Jan Di found herself in a hallway before a lone white door. 

Jan Di stepped out of the elevator and approached the doorway.  Poising her knuckle inches away, she prepared to knock.  She hesitated for a few seconds before deciding it was too late to turn back now. She rapped on the door—and waited.  When he didn’t come to the door after several knocks, she reluctantly tried the key, and the lock clicked in response. 

Jan Di barely pushed open the door and peered inside as timid as a mouse.  “Excuse me, Yoon Ji Hoo?” she called.   

No one answered.  She took a cautious step inside and called out to him again. 

The room was completely silent and dark, aside from a soft beam of light shining down from the ceiling.  Jan Di glanced up and saw star twinkling through a large skylight. 

Wow…  

The starlight was pretty but not adequate, so Jan Di fumbled for a light switch.  She couldn’t seem to find one, but like magic, the place suddenly lit up. 

Jan Di gasped.  “Motion sensors?” she wondered, as she took a step inside.  She glanced around the room before taking another step, and then she took another. 

Standing in the midst of his entryway, Jan Di was immediately hit with how extravagant the place was.  It was even more amazing than the lobby downstairs—and certainly not the type of place one could afford on a firefighter’s salary. 

Finding her voice, she called out louder this time, “Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi!  I’m sorry to disturb you, but I brought you some food…”  

When no response came, Jan Di hesitantly ventured further into the penthouse.  She felt as though she was walking into the lion’s den.  It wasn’t that she was a coward, but she felt uncomfortable traipsing into someone’s place uninvited like this.  On top of that, it was a man’s place—a man who was practically a stranger to her…   

Jan Di supposed she had been sent there, but not by the owner of the home.  She’d been sent by a friend of the owner.  And Jan Di imagined how she would feel if Ga Eul pulled something like this.  Even if she meant well, Jan Di would kill her. 

With a sigh, Jan Di reminded herself that it was too late and that she needed to finish her mission.

She passed by a kitchen nook, briefly stopping to admire the spacious area—that could fit at least four of her kitchens in it.  And she set the bag down on the marble island. 

Jan Di strongly considered just dropping the food and running, but she did want to check on him. So, she ventured further—through the living room, complete with fine neutral-colored, matching furniture, through the dining room…  And then she turned a corner, not knowing what to expect there. 

Off an alcove of the living room was an eggshell white bookcase.  She noticed he had quite the library, and being a book lover, she stopped to take a quick look.  From a quick glance, she could see that they were organized alphabetically.  Yoon Ji Hoo was clearly very orderly, as well as tidy.  Taking a closer look at the books on the shelves, she also saw that his tastes were vast—ranging from classic literature to poetry to philosophy. 

Jan Di finally tore herself away from the books and continued on.  The place was like a labyrinth, with more rooms than she had first expected.  There was a bedroom, a small study, as well as a weight room.  And in one of the back rooms, she noticed an instrument case propped up in a far corner.  It was a smaller case, perhaps for a violin…  She also saw several guitars hanging on the wall.   

Apparently, he has a musical side to him… 

Finally, she came across the master bedroom, and she heard the first sound from the silent place.  It was the faint sound of someone softly breathing.  She peeked inside the open door, and there was Yoon Ji Hoo out cold in his bed. 

Inadvertently, Jan Di’s lips curled up at the sight of the disheveled, sleeping man in queen-sized bed.  She tread lightly into the room, though she wasn’t sure why.  After all, he was going to discover she was there soon enough…     

Jan Di stood over Yoon Ji Hoo.  With hands clasped in front of her, she whispered, “Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi.  It’s Geum Jan Di.  Can you hear me?  Are you alright?”

He didn’t answer but only stirred ever so slightly, so she leaned down to take a closer look at him. As she did so, she noticed the burn from the previous day upon his otherwise flawless cheek.  It looked bad—much worse than when she’d seen it before; it appeared to be getting infected.  And her smile faded. 

Jan Di squatted down next to his bed.  He shivered in his sleep, and she placed a hand gingerly upon his forehead.  He was warm—very warm.  “Yoon Ji Hoo, you babo…,” she tenderly chastised, “why didn’t you let me treat you right away, or at least take care of this yourself?” 

Ji Hoo stirred again, and this time opened his eyes.  When she came into focus, he flinched.  “Geum Jan Di?” he muttered in disbelief.  And he blinked his eyes rapidly as if she was a desert mirage.  “What are you…  How did you…?”

“It’s a long story.  I’m sorry to barge in like this, but I brought food for you,” she replied.   

“Oh,” he commented, puzzled.  “Thank you…”

“I’ll bring it in to you, but first things first.  I need to treat your wound.”

As Ji Hoo was too weak to argue with her—and still wasn’t quite sure he was not imagining her—he simply lay there like a wet noodle.   

Jan Di didn’t have her supplies with her, so she told him she would be back and went to his bathroom.  She opened the medicine cabinet, which was predictably organized.  She grabbed the supplies needed from there and then got into the hall linen closet looking for two wash cloths.  She found them, wet them down, and wrung them out.  Then, she returned to him. 

Yoon Ji Hoo had closed his eyes again.  She placed one of the dampened cloths upon his forehead.  

Jan Di’s priorities were to minister to the seeping wound on his cheek and get his fever down.  So, she knelt by his bed and began to dab at his wound with the other wash cloth.  He flinched at first contact and opened his eyes, stopping Jan Di from her work.       

“This really isn’t necessary, Geum Jan Di,” he said.   

“It is,” she insisted.  “Your wound is becoming infected.  Do you want to end up in the hospital?”

He shook his head in a rather cute way, but Jan Di remained stern.  “Why did you let it go, anyway?  You should know better,” she chastised.

He muttered something she didn’t quite understand, so she simply continued.  After cleaning the area, she pulled out the disinfectant from his home first aid kit. 

Ji Hoo winced at the first contact of the antiseptic upon his skin. 

“It’ll only hurt for a second.  Please be brave,” she spoke almost like one would speak to a small child.  And he mumbled something not quite coherent in response. 

Jan Di grinned as she dabbed at his cheek with the ointment. Then, she lightly blew upon the area to ease the sting of the alcohol.  Ji Hoo opened his eyes at the feel of the cool breeze upon his skin, and he stared up into her dark chocolate eyes for a moment. 

“Better now?” she gently whispered.

“Mm,” he nodded, closing his eyes again.  And she continued to clean the burn area.  Some small blisters had formed, and Jan Di was careful not to burst them.  Although the bumps looked painful, she felt they did nothing to mar his overall perfect appearance.

While she worked, Ji Hoo’s eyes remained closed.  Until out of the blue, he spoke.  Truly befuddled, he asked her, “Why are you doing this?”

Jan Di thought for a moment, as she applied a sterile gaze pad to his cheek...  She didn’t really know whether she had a good explanation for it or not… 

“I don’t know,” she finally responded.  “I guess because…I like to help people,” she paused, “…And besides, there is no one else here to do it, so it fell to me.”  She added the last part in an attempt at sounding detached. 

Ji Hoo pressed his lips together in understanding, his eyes remaining closed.  “I don’t mean to sound rude, but how did you know where I lived, or how to get in?”

She didn’t speak right away, and he opened his eyes to look upon her.  He searched her eyes for answers.   

They were basic questions, but Jan Di was still reeling over his ‘why are you doing this?’ question.  She knew why she was there—as a favor.  And when she saw him there suffering, her natural instincts kicked in.  It was her job to come to people’s aid, so why would she forsake him when she was there and could help?    

“I came here as a favor to your friend.  He told me where you lived and gave me a key in case you didn’t answer, and your doorman let me up.”

Yes, that was all there was to it.  It had nothing to do with wanting to see him or caring about him—at least not more than the average person in need... 

But it wasn’t just that, and she knew it.  She could have left the food with the doorman, or even left the food on the counter, but she stayed.  And going to the fire station—the whole reason she ended up there tonight—well, that would take some explaining…  She had reasons, but they were completely phony.  She’d really gone because she had the urge to see him.  Feeling pathetic, Jan Di sighed.  Ji Hoo looked at her curiously.

Ji Hoo nodded, “Well, that’s very kind of you.”  It was then that he seemed to take in her appearance.  Giving her a look up and down, he said, “I’m sorry if I spoiled your evening.”     

 “You didn’t,” she replied immediately.”  And suddenly Jan Di was very aware of her attire.  Since she assumed it required some explanation, she added, “I had plans, but they kind of fell through...”  

And Jan Di was relieved when Ji Hoo accepted her answer without further questioning her.  All he did was take another look at her in the mint dress and comment, “You look nice.”

Jan Di’s lips parted in surprise.  But maybe it was just the fever talking…  Regardless, she mumbled a shy, “Thank you,” before standing. 

“Oh, the reason I came…,” she began before leaving the room. 

Ji Hoo craned his neck to see what she was doing but couldn’t.  So, he gave up and wearily fell back against his pillow.  Minutes later she returned with a tray with a bowl and a glass of water atop it.

“Soup!” she exclaimed.  “I was asked to bring you soup.”

“I see,” and Ji Hoo had a pretty good guess as to who would’ve sent it. 

Jan Di had him sit up.  In doing so, his cover fell away, revealing his bare, well-toned chest.  Averting her eyes, she placed the tray over his legs. 

“Thank you,” he said.

Jan Di nodded and stepped back.  “Take that, too,” she instructed, pointing to a small white pill beside the bowl of soup on the tray. 

Folding her arms, Jan Di leaned against the far wall and watched as Ji Hoo popped the pill.  Then, he picked up the glass and weakly lifted it to his lips.  He took a gulp of the water, shutting his eyes as the liquid trickled down his parched throat, quenching his thirst.  He downed three-fourths of the glass and then went for the soup.  Jan Di watched as he scooped up a bit of broth.  He seemed to struggle, and she considered feeding him, but that would be awkward.      

“How is it?” she asked eagerly after he managed to swallow.

“It’s good.  One of my favorites.  Thank you.”

“Well, it’s from your friend,” Jan Di inserted.   

Ji Hoo took another spoonful and then looked to Jan Di curiously.  Was she planning on watching him the entire time? 

It made him feel a bit self-conscious.  He wanted to question how long she would be staying but didn’t want to seem rude.  And it wasn’t like he minded having her here.  She was nice to look at…especially now—all dressed up in that pale green dress, makeup on, and with her hair up like that.  And he imagined she could be pleasant company, at least when in a good mood.  But he wasn’t exactly at his best right now…

He finished most of his soup and the rest of the water, and then she suggested he get some rest.  Again, he was too weak to argue, so he allowed her to take the tray, and ha laid back. 

She left to clean up and then returned.  He looked to be asleep, but then his eyes shot open.  And he started babbling about forgetting something…or being late to meet someone…

She went to him and knelt again at his bedside.  She took the cloth away and felt his head.  Still hot.  She decided to take his temperature.  After finding a thermometer, she ordered him to say ‘ahh.’

Ji Hoo felt like a little kid, but he complied, and she stuck the instrument in his mouth.  When it beeped, Jan Di removed it.    

“I know I was supposed to do something…,” he muttered after she removed the thermometer from his mouth. 

“Hmm,” she looked down at the thermometer, tightening her lips.  “Don’t worry, Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi.  Everything is fine.  You have a high fever, so you’re probably not thinking clearly right now.  Just try to sleep, OK?”    

Her words seemed to ease him, so he lay back down and pulled up his comforter around him.  “Rest now,” and she picked up the wash cloth and began to leave the room. 

“Where are you going?” he suddenly asked, stopping her in her tracks.

Does he actually want me to stay?

The hint of a smile played upon her lips.  “I’ll be back.  I’m just going to rewet the cloth, so we can get that fever of yours down.”

“You really don’t have to…,” he began, but it was clear she was not going to listen, so he nodded. 

When she returned to him, she brought a bowl of water and set it on the bedside table.  And she began dabbing at his forehead.  Swallowing, she moved down to his neck and then hovered over his chest.  He was watching her with dark, glossy eyes the entire time.

“Umm…,” she uttered, hesitating, “Is this…OK?”

He gave her a subtle nod, and she carefully dabbed at his muscular chest with the cool cloth.  In order to distract herself from thinking too much about what she was doing, she began talking.  She informed him about the boy and prattled on about her day…  Ji Hoo listened closely without saying much.  She did a quick job of cooling him, and then she dipped the cloth into the bowl and wrung it out.  She returned the moistened cotton fabric to his forehead. 

His chest slowly rose and fell, and she could tell he was drifting.  Clearing , Jan Di said, “Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi…”

He didn’t respond. 

Leaning in closer, she whispered, “Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi…

But still, he did not answer, and she only heard the sound of his breathing.  Jan Di smiled at the sleeping man next to her, and she stood.  Tiptoeing out of his room, she glanced back at him.  And she turned off his light.  “Goodnight, Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi…”

Geum Jan Di was not sure of what she should do.  She wanted to make sure that Yoon Ji Hoo’s fever broke before she left him.  She checked her watch, and it was nearly midnight now.  With a sigh, Jan Di decided to make herself useful.

First, she thought to clean, but the place was immaculate.  Next, she considered cooking something for him for tomorrow.  Porridge would be good, she thought…  So, she went into his kitchen to see if he had the ingredients.  She looked through the fridge, but it was as barren as a cave—with only a few items upon the shelves, none of which could be made into much.  Then, she went through his cupboards.  Nothing useful in there either. 

Jung-Woo-ssi was right…      

Jan Di supposed that she could go to the market around the corner that was open all night.  It would have the basics that she needed.  She could run to the store and quickly come back, but first she would check on him.

She returned to his room and delicately lowered herself to a seated position on the edge of his bed beside him.  She removed the cloth and placed a hand upon his forehead.  He seemed a bit cooler but warmer than his body temperature should be. 

She removed her hand, and he stirred.  He shifted in bed, and his brow furrowed.  Then, he began mumbling something and tossing and turning.  “Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi, are you alright?” she asked, frowning. 

He continued to twitch and murmur incoherent things in his sleep.  Leaning over him, she softly called out, “Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi, please wake up.  You’re having a nightmare.”

When his movements only became more erratic, Jan Di gripped the side of the bed and prepared to rise from it. It was then, that his hand shot out like a spring and gripped onto hers.  “Don’t leave… Don’t go…”

Jan Di’s lips parted.  He was squeezing her hand hard and muttering, “No, no…NO!”  Then she heard him cry out for his parents... 

And Jan Di recalled what Jung-Woo had told her this evening... 

He must be having a nightmare about his parents’ death…  And her heart broke for him.

Ji Hoo gripped Jan Di’s hand tighter.  He was almost hurting her, but she allowed it.  Suddenly, he let out a strained gasp and shot upright in his bed.  It took him a moment to register what was going on, and he looked to her in confusion.

“Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi, are your alright?” she asked gently.

Still holding onto her hand, he questioned her presence.  “Geum Jan Di?”

“Yes, it’s me.”

“What happened?”

“You just had a nightmare.”

“Oh,” he exhaled and squeezing his eyes shut, he slumped back against his headboard.  After a moment, he realized he was grasping onto her hand, so he released it.

“I’m sorry,” he muttered.  “I…have them sometimes…”

Lowering her eyes, Jan Di nodded.  When she looked up, he was still fighting to control his rampant breathing. 

“Why don’t you try and go back to sleep?” she suggested.   

He gave a sharp exhale in response.  “I don’t know if I can.”

“Sure, you can!  You just need to take your mind off the nightmare.  Hmm…,” and Jan Di thought for a moment.  “Maybe I could read to you?”  

Ji Hoo smiled faintly.  “That’s OK.  You must need to get home…”

“No, it’s OK.  I’ll read to you, at least until you fall asleep.”

Ji Hoo’s smile grew.  “That’s kind of you, but you really don’t have to go to the trouble.”

“Don’t be silly.  It’s no trouble, and I enjoy reading.  But what should I read to you?”

Ji Hoo thought for a moment and named a book of poetry that resided on his bookshelf, and he gave her a page number.  “Could you read that?”

Jan Di nodded and went for the book.

He asked her to read a poem called Ode to a Nightingale, which he said was one of his favorites.  When Jan Di opened the leather-bound book to the page, her brow wrinkled up.    

“What’s wrong?” he asked. 

“Well, it’s in English…  I’ll try, but my English is not so good, so I hope you’ll forgive any mistakes,” she laughed.  “Most of the foreign books I read are translated.  I think I would be lost if they weren’t.”

Ji Hoo merely smiled.  “It’s OK.  I’m sure you’ll do fine.  And this is good practice.  Go on…”

Clearing , Jan Di tentatively began, “My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains…”

Ji Hoo closed his eyes, as he listened.

She read the poem to the best of her ability, though she hardly understood a word she was saying.  And when she struggled with a word or phrase, he filled in the blanks for her.

. . .

“How did you know that was what came next?”

“Because I’ve read this one—a lot.  So, I have it memorized.”

“Wow…”

“I like it,” he said.

“Why do you like it so much?”

“Well, the symbolism, I guess…”

She nodded but said nothing further, for she didn’t want to seem dense.

“It’s all about escape from reality and freedom…,” he informed her before she could ask. 

“I see…,” she said; although, she didn’t quite understand. 

“The nightingale symbolizes love, but also death…”  

Jan Di pondered that statement.

And then he said something that didn’t quite make sense.  She tried to pretend she understood, but no, he must have gotten it wrong.  And she laughed.  “Whaaat?” she cutely questioned. 

“Ahh, I didn’t explain that quite right,” and Ji Hoo gave a bashful smile.  “…Well, maybe we could discuss this further—when my brain is functioning properly, that is.”

Jan Di chuckled.  “Sure…  You know, I had no idea you were into poetry,” and she glanced over at him. 

He was resting now with his eyelids half-open.  “There are a lot of things you don’t know about me, Geum Jan Di,” he wryly commented.  

“Yes, well I guess I have a lot to learn…”  

Immediately, she turned away, scrunching her eyes shut.  What had come over her?!  Why was she saying such flighty, flirtatious things? 

Ji Hoo smiled, said nothing, and shut his eyes.  He seemed to be teetering between sleep and awake, and he looked peaceful in that place.  Jan Di quieted and stayed there with him…

Not long after, Ji Hoo fell into a deep sleep.  Jan Di remained at his side, keeping a close watch.    

His fever finally broke in the early morning hours.  She first noticed this by the glistening sheen of sweat that formed upon his face, neck, and chest.  Ignoring the appealing way the light hit him, she again dabbed at him with a cloth. 

When he woke up, she asked how he was feeling—to which he replied, “Better.”

Suddenly growing shy, she suggested, “You should probably put something on, so you don’t catch a cold.  Especially now that your fever broke.” 

And he agreed. 

It was mostly for practical purposes that she suggested it, but as much as she hated to admit—even to herself—the sight of him shirtless was stirring a physical reaction in her.  “Um,” she cleared .  “Where do you keep your clean t-shirts?”  

Ji Hoo pointed a still shaky finger toward his dresser.

Jan Di pulled open the top drawer and noticed a row of briefs neatly folded inside.  Quickly, she shut her eyes and slammed the drawer closed.   

“No, the second drawer,” he calmly corrected. 

Jan Di let out a nervous laugh and moved down a drawer.  In this one, his shirts were likewise folded and arranged by color—whites on top, followed by light colors, and then dark underneath. 

“You’re very organized,” she commented.   

“I guess so,” he replied.

Jan Di pulled out a white cotton t-shirt, but when she did she noticed something tucked underneath the stack.  She caught a peek at it.  It was a photo of Yoon Ji Hoo with a woman—a very beautiful and strangely familiar-looking woman…

His girlfriend maybe? 

It wasn’t a surprise to her that he had one.  Why wouldn’t he?  He’s not unattractive, after all… 

Jan Di felt guilty for her nosiness, but she couldn’t help but casually take another look.  She knew this woman somehow...  But from where?  And then, it hit her.  It was Min Seo Hyun, the model.  Jan Di had seen her in magazines and on posters and billboards all over Seoul.  She was beautiful, smart, and sophisticated. 

“Did you find one?” he called over to her. 

Startled, Jan Di quickly tucked the photo away.  “Oh, um, yes!”  

She picked up the shirt, closed the drawer, and took it to Ji Hoo.  “Thank you,” he said, as she handed it to him.  She nodded and looked away as he slipped it down over his head. 

Jan Di suggested that he get some rest, and he complied, but he was in and out of sleep.  Jan Di stayed with him, and when he would wake they would talk.  It was mostly small talk, but occasionally he would say something funny.  She hadn’t realized he had such a playful, humorous side to him, and one of his dry jokes had her laughing for a minute straight. 

And over the course of the hours that night, some deeper topics arose.  One such topic began with a simple comment from Jan Di that his place was amazing…

Ji Hoo thanked her but then admitted that he didn’t stay here often.   

“Why not?” she asked without thinking.  Immediately, she apologized for being too forward. 

“No, it’s OK.  Well, I work a lot, but even when I’m not working I don’t stay often.  I guess it feels…lonely…”

Jan Di was silent.

“I don’t mind being alone.  In fact, I really enjoy it sometimes, but…in this place…the loneliness is like a black hole threatening to swallow me up…

When his comment seemed to sadden her, he changed the subject, “Geum Jan Di, you said you like to read, right?  So, what do you like to read?”

“Well, I…I don’t want to say.”

Ji Hoo’s eyes crinkled, and his mouth curled up.  “Don’t tell me that the tough Geum Jan Di is a fan of romance novels or something...”

“Ha!  Well, yes, actually…  But not the kind you’re probably thinking of, Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi…”

“What kind then?”

“I like tragic romance.  The ones that don’t have happy endings…”

This sparked Ji Hoo’s interest.  “Wow.  And which one is your favorite?  Romeo & Juliet, perhaps?” he grinned.

Jan Di shook her head rapidly.  “No.”

With eyes closed, Ji Hoo spoke, “Did my heart love till now?  Forswear it, sight, for I ne’er saw true beauty till this night…”

Ji Hoo grew silent, and his eyes remained closed.  And Jan Di stared at him.  Oddly, she felt her heart speeding up… 

“Wh-what?” she finally stammered. 

Ji Hoo opened his eyes to gaze upon her.  She looked completely perplexed, and a small smile graced his pale, dry lips.  “It’s a quote—from Romeo & Juliet.  Girls find that romantic, don’t they?”  

Jan Di glanced away, releasing a short burst of air through her lips.  Then, she turned back to him.  “Well, yes, it was romantic, but Romeo and Juliet were babos…”

Ji Hoo stifled a laugh.  “Well, isn’t everyone a fool when it comes to love?” he asked.

Jan Di smirked over at him.  “I guess you’re right. Most people are, yes.”  Myself included… And Jan Di suddenly found herself thinking about that person

Ji Hoo observed her.  “So…  Which one is it then?”

“Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë,” she answered without a thought.  

Ji Hoo nodded.  “And why is it your favorite?”  He sincerely wanted to know. 

Jan Di took a moment to consider. 

. . .

And then she quoted:

Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad!  Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!  (Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights)

Yes, Jan Di really felt that the quote exemplified her last relationship.  

Ji Hoo blinked at Jan Di’s cryptic response.  And he imagined she must have been hurt before—badly, no doubt.

“It’s also a quote from the book,” she explained.   

“I assumed as much.  But it’s not one that I’ve read, so do you care to explain more?”

Softly sighing, she explained, “It’s my favorite because it reminds me not to make the same mistake twice.”  And then she began occupying herself, hoping to put an end to the subject. 

Ji Hoo could read women well enough, but Geum Jan Di was different than most women.  Still, he was getting a handle on her, and it was clear she wanted to end any further discussion on that.  So, slightly diverting the conversation, he said, “Well, if you like tragic romance, I imagine you’ve read Great Expectations.”

Jan Di shook her head.  “I haven’t, actually.”

“Well, you should.  It’s a classic, and one of my favorites…  Why don’t we make a deal then?  I’ll read Wuthering Heights, and you read Great Expectations.”

Jan Di smiled.  “OK,” and she extended her hand.  “You have a deal,” and they shook on it. 

. . .

The Next Afternoon… 

When Ji Hoo walked into the EMT headquarters, he was met by a series of blank stares.  He asked one of the men if Geum Jan Di was there, and the younger man eyed him curiously—almost suspiciously—before finally replying, “Yes, I’ll get her for you.”  The man bowed to him, but Ji Hoo had the feeling it wasn’t quite sincere. 

“You have a visitor, Chief,” the man informed her at her office door, and she came out.   

Then, Dong-Geun saluted Jan Di.  She gave him a light shove.  “I told you to stop that,” she hissed.  Dong-Geun protested that he was put up to it. 

Jan Di rolled her eyes and walked into the common area.  And there before her was none other than Yoon Ji Hoo.  “Chief Yoon,” she greeted formally. 

Ji Hoo stood there in casual clothing, holding a bag.  The gauze bandage she’d placed on his cheek was still there.  Holding the bag with one hand, he gave her a little wave with the other.   

“Wh-what are you doing here?” she stammered.  Perhaps it was rude, but she was rather shocked to see him there.   

Ji Hoo took a deep breath.  “Um, could we speak…in private?”

Jan Di glanced around the room at the onlookers before demanding that they go and do something.  They all got up in a hurry and scattered.  Then, Jan Di led Ji Hoo to her office. 

. . .

Once inside, Ji Hoo held out the bag to Jan Di.  “First of all, I wanted to return this,” and he held out the bag to her.  Inside was her purse.

“Oh, thank you.”

“You left it at my place.  I put it in the bag so as not to give anyone here the wrong idea.”

Jan Di nodded.  “Good idea.  They’re a nosy bunch,” she chuckled. 

She took the purse and set it aside.  Then, she offered him a seat.  He took the seat offered and sat down across from her, while she sat behind her desk. 

Ji Hoo noticed a photo upon her desk.  “May I?” he asked, and she nodded.  Picking it up, he took a closer look.  In the photo were four people, a man, a woman, and two small children—a girl and a younger boy.     

“It’s my family,” she informed him.  

Ji Hoo nodded.  “It’s a nice-looking family.”

“Thank you.”

“And is this you?” he smiled while pointing to a girl making a funny face.   

Jan Di laughed, her cheeks lightly flushing.  “Um, yes…a much younger version.”

“You were cute.”

Jan Di scoffed.  “I don’t know about that…  It’s not really the best photo, but it’s the only one I had with my dad in it…”  And Jan Di looked away when she felt her eyes begin to moisten.

Understanding well, Ji Hoo lowered his head.  “I’m sorry…”

“It’s OK.  Thank you…” 

After quickly wiping her eyes out of his sight, she turned back to him.  “Anyway, it seemed like there was something else you wanted to talk to me about.  So, what can I do for you, Chief Yoon?”  

“You don’t have to call me that,” he informed.

“Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi then.”

“Or that.”

“Then what should I call you?”

“Just Ji Hoo if you’d like.”

Is he flirting?  No, he’s probably just being nice...   

“That’s OK.  It’s not proper.  I barely know you…,” she said.   

Smirking, he countered, “I wouldn’t say that.  You have been to my place, and you learned a lot about me last night.  You even saw my underwear...”

Now, he is flirting…  Or, perhaps it is just a big joke to him…    

Her cheeks burning, Jan Di quickly looked away.  “That was an accident!”

It was then that Jan Di heard a noise, and she noticed a patch of dark hair around the corner of her office door.  She called out the eavesdropper, and Dong-Geun revealed himself. 

“Dong-Geun!  What are you doing?” Jan Di shouted.

“Mianhada, Captain, I was just…,” the young man stammered, and when he realized he had no good excuse, he added another, “Mianhada!” and bowed several times.   

“You’re dead, Dong-Geun!” and she tossed the closest thing she could find—a first aid manual—at her subordinate’s head, narrowly missing Ji Hoo, who quickly ducked.

With a groan, Jan Di promised herself that she’d deal with him later. 

Ji Hoo chuckled.  “I see your guys need to be kept in line, too.”

Jan Di sighed in response.  “Yes, they do…”  And she could have died of shame.  No doubt her guys would torture her mercilessly about it later, but she vowed to kill them if they even said a word. 

. . .

Clearing his throat, Ji Hoo said, “Thank you for taking care of me last night.”

Jan Di nodded.  “It’s no big deal.”

“It was a big deal.  I really appreciated it, and I wanted to thank you properly.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” he took a deep breath.  “I wanted to know if you’d like to have dinner with me.”

“Dinner, really?” she blinked rapidly.

“Yes.”

“You want to have dinner with me?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Well…”  

“You said you wanted to learn more, right?” and he raised a playful brow.            

Jan Di felt her cheeks begin to warm.  She hadn’t thought he would remember her slip-up.  “Well, I, uh—”

But he cut her off.  “I’d like to learn more about you, too, Geum Jan Di.”

Jan Di’s cheeks were burning now, so she looked away. 

Ji Hoo continued, “You’re an interesting one, Geum Jan Di.  And you’re not so bad to talk to when you’re not yelling at me…,” and he flashed a warm smile, which she couldn’t help but return. 

As he waited for her to respond, Jan Di put on a stern face and leaned back in her chair. 

. . .

“Well, I suppose you’re not so bad to talk to either…”

Smiling hopefully, he asked, “So, perhaps we could talk…and learn more about each other …over dinner?”

And then he gave her that smile again—the one she found it hard to look directly at—because it was too bright

Jan Di’s lips parted.  Despite the slight cheesiness of the invite, she couldn’t stop the smile from forming. “Why Yoon Ji Hoo, you’re not asking me out on a date, are you?”  She leaned forward at her desk.

“Maybe,” he grinned.  “If I were, what would you say?  Would you agree?”   

“Well, I don’t know…  Don’t you—I mean, do you…have a girlfriend…?”

To Jan Di’s surprise, he laughed.  “If I did, I wouldn’t be asking you out.  I’m not that type.”

Jan Di gave an awkward chuckle, “Of course…”

“And you?  Are you…involved with anyone?”

“No, I’m not involved!  I’m not involved with anyone!”  And Jan Di inwardly groaned at how overly eager she sounded.  Toning it down, she reiterated, “I’m not involved with anyone.”  

Ji Hoo flashed his smile again.  “Well, now that that’s settled, what do you say?”

“Ahh, I don’t know…,” Jan Di fake hemmed and hawed while toying with her pen, “Maybe…  I’d have to check my schedule...  I’m very busy, you know?”

“So am I, but I’ll make some time,” he replied. 

And Jan Di was fighting that annoying grin again.  With an over the top sigh, she gave in, “Alright…  If you give me your number, I will check my schedule and call you to set something up.”

“Great,” and Ji Hoo grabbed a pen and jotted his number down on the top post-it on a stack on her desk.  Then, he stood.  “I’ll see you around, Geum Jan Di-ssi.”

And with that, he left…

Ji Hoo left with the emergency medical headquarters with the biggest smile on his face.  He’d vowed to make it up to Jan Di for missing their date, and he fully intended to do just that.  He decided that he would give her an amazing date, one she would not soon forget…  After all, a wonderful girl such as she deserved a wonderful date…

And he immediately began planning in his head…

Afterward, Ji Hoo returned to the station.  And he ran into Jung-Woo in the common area.  

“Hey, Ji Hoo-yah.  Where are you coming from?” Jung-Woo asked.   

“Oh, well I just…had an errand to run.”

Jung-Woo nodded.  “I’m glad you’re feeling better.  So, did she bring you the soup last night?  Geum Jan Di?”

“Oh.  Yes, yes she did.” 

“Were you shocked?”

“Yes.  Very…”

Jung-Woo chuckled, “I sent her over with a key and told your doorman.  I hope you aren’t angry that I sent her.”

Quite the contrary, I owe you thanks for sending her to me…, Ji Hoo thought. 

“No, I’m not angry.  Thank you, Jung-Woo-ah, for sending her—the food,” he quickly corrected, “to me.  I appreciate the thought.”  

Jung-Woo waved him off with a hand.  “Ah well, I figured you needed to eat.  It’s no big deal.  But wasn’t she sweet to do that?” Jung-Woo beamed, and he raised his eyes skyward, clearly thinking of Jan Di… 

Yes,” Ji Hoo nodded, looking down at his hands.  “It was.  She is very sweet...”  Ji Hoo recalled last night—the way she’d cared for him all night long.  And then he envisioned her lovely face—the cute little mole beside her nose, the large and warm, yet simultaneously feisty eyes, and the thin pink lips that curved into a half-smile.       

But then, Ji Hoo was suddenly wracked by guilt. 

He’d completely forgotten that Jung-Woo was interested in Jan Di…  How had that very important fact completely slipped his mind? 

Or maybe it hadn’t at all, but he’d just dismissed it.  He’d been selfish…   

Jung-Woo broke Ji Hoo’s reverie.  “Yeah, she’s really something…  And the poor girl got stood up last night.  Can you imagine?  What idiot would stand up such a pretty girl?!” 

Ji Hoo’s face fell further.  He was that idiot…  He’d planned to make it up to her, but now he wasn’t sure what he should do… 

“You really like her, huh?” Ji Hoo asked delicately.   

“Mm.  I asked her out, you know?”

Ji Hoo’s eyes widened slightly.  “Really?”

“Yes, last night after she came looking for you.”

“She came looking for me?”

“Yes, she said she had something to tell you.”

Ji Hoo nodded.  “What did she say when you asked her out?”  He tried not to sound too eager. 

Jung-Woo shrugged.  “She said she’d think about it.  I’m trying to give her time to respond, but I’m dying from the suspense!  I wonder why she hasn’t called…,” and he sighed.   

“Well, I don’t know.  Maybe she’s just busy…  Try and wait a little longer, Jung-Woo-ah…”

Jung-Woo nodded and clapped Ji Hoo on the back.  “You’re right.  Thanks, chingu.”

. . .  

That Night…

Jan Di returned home from work.  Wearily, she stumbled through the door and began preparing for bed.  She wasn’t quite sure how she’d made it through the day.  After practically pulling an all-nighter and then only taking a short nap before working all evening, she was about ready to drop. 

Finally, she made it to her bed and slipped under the covers.  She sighed in satisfaction at the feel of the soft bed beneath her.  Then, she glanced to her nightstand and noticed Great Expectations setting there.  She’d picked it up earlier from the bookstore, as Ji Hoo suggested. 

Despite her exhaustion, Jan Di couldn’t sleep.  She couldn’t turn her mind off, so she opened the book and began reading.  After polishing off the first chapter, she was eager to talk to him about it.   

She wasn’t sure if she should call so late.  It was only ten, but maybe he went to bed early… 

After pondering for nearly fifteen minutes, she decided to call.  So, she dialed his number and waited.

. . .

Heyy,” a groggy voice with a hint of pleasant surprise greeted her.   

Noting his tone, she said, “Oh, I’m so sorry!  You were sleeping, weren’t you?”

“No, I wasn’t.  I’m just in bed, here at the station.”

“Oh.  Well, I should go then.”

“No, don’t go.  Stay.”  His words came out abrupt and commanding—he hadn’t intended for it to sound that way. 

Ji Hoo cleared his throat.  “I mean, won’t you stay?  Please?”  and Ji Hoo scrunched up his nose at himself, unsure of whether the second attempt was any better.  It just sounded needy. 

Jan Di bit her lip to subdue the smile that was forming.  Keeping her cool, she replied, “OK, I’ll stay.”

. . .

Little smiles of pleasure crossed the lips of both, unbeknownst to the other.  Finally breaking the silence, “So…,” Ji Hoo began.  “What are you doing now?”

“Well, I just picked up Great Expectations and started reading.”

“Oh, really?  What do you think so far?”

“I love it.”

Ji Hoo smiled in satisfaction.  “I thought you would.”

“But the beginning—when Magwitch jumps out at Pip!  That was startling!  Why didn’t you warn me?”  Assuredly, she would have smacked his arm if he were there, but she had to settle for mental smacking right now. 

In good humor, Ji Hoo chuckled.  “I’m sorry about my oversight.” 

With an exhale, Jan Di replied, “It’s fine.  I got through it, but just like with horror movies, it’s not the kind of thing that is best for at night when you are all alone.”

Jan Di mentally berated herself for revealing such a weakness.  Yes, it was true that she got lonely sometimes, and occasionally she even got scared.  If she heard a strange noise or watched something particularly frightening, she would be on edge.  She felt like a little child.  And It was silly, particularly considering the job she had and the horrible things that she had seen, which could never be unseen…  

“Are you saying you need protection?”  It just came out of his mouth without thinking.  Ji Hoo knew that Geum Jan Di had a softer side to her—he’d experienced it first hand, but he hadn’t seen her afraid or vulnerable before, as she had seen him.

When she didn’t say anything, Ji Hoo wanted to slap himself in the face.  Clearly, he’d embarrassed her, but it wasn’t his intent.  He’d simply blurted out the first thing that came to mind—that being an image of him being there with her, holding her in his arms and keeping her safe from any harm, whether real or imagined…  

A/N: I hope you all enjoyed, and I love hearing from all of you, so drop me a review if you feel so inclined.  I am always eager and nervous after a chapter, just hoping you all like it!

Teaser for next chapter: Someone from Ji Hoo’s past returns, shaking things up.  Ji Hoo deals with his guilt, leading to a rift between Jan Di and him.  Jan Di keeps her new suitor at bay, while still pining for Ji Hoo.  Meanwhile, Ji Hoo deals with his regret over stepping aside.  Will Ji Hoo and Jan Di remain friends?  Will that be enough for them?