Chemistry Part I

To Love, Honor, and Protect

I believe, I believe there's love in you
Gridlocked on dusty avenues
Inside your heart, just afraid to go
I am more, I am more than innocent
But just take a chance and let me in. . .

Don't complicate it 
Don't let the past dictate it…
("I Know You," Skylar Grey)

Chapter Four: Chemistry Part I

"Are you saying you need protection?"

That was what he had asked. Really, Ji Hoo? he questioned himself. What in the world is wrong with me?

When Jan Di failed to respond to his question, and nearly a minute had passed without any words, Ji Hoo softly asked, "Are you still there?" Perhaps she had thought him bold or crazy and had decided to hang up. Then he heard her voice again; it was quiet and serene. "Yes, I'm here," was all she said, yet it was enough to put him at ease. She possessed a mysterious talent for that… His nightmares had even seemed less frequent since meeting her.

The fire chief had risen up on his elbows and sat up in bed, even smoothed back his messy copper hair when he first answered her call, as if she was really there and he needed to present himself properly. But now, he settled back against his pillow and relaxed in the bed. "Good. Um…," he tried to come up with a topic, but then he decided it better to explain his earlier comment. "I didn't mean that like it sounded, by the way. I...just meant that some things are not best done alone." Ji Hoo squeezed his eyes shut. That wasn't much better.

Jan Di smiled faintly on her end. "You're right...but my job is demanding, as you know, and I live alone, so I don't have much choice." Ji Hoo listened as she continued, "I don't mind being alone, though, not usually, but I guess, sometimes...I do wish for...some company. Do you ever feel that way, Chief Yoon?"

"Ji Hoo," he corrected.

"Ji Hoo-ssi," she met him halfway, and he could practically see the smirk she must be wearing right now. He smiled at her obstinance. "And yes, I do feel that way sometimes..."

To his surprise, he'd just revealed a very private detail about himself-that sometimes he felt lonely. It wouldn't seem like much to most people, but for him, that was something very intimate. And she was nearly a perfect stranger.

But for some reason, she didn't feel like a stranger to him… He felt like he knew her, even though he didn't really know her… Perhaps he should change that. But it had already begun to change, hadn't it? And even though she was the one to call, he had taken his own first step by conversing with her this way outside of work.

Hoping to keep her on the phone a bit longer, Ji Hoo asked out of the blue, "So, what were two narrative elements the author used in the first chapter of Great Expectations?"

Jan Di laughed out loud. It was a short, sweet, jovial burst of energy, almost childlike, and it made Ji Hoo feel happier just hearing it.

"Well, I had no idea there was going to be a quiz, Seonsaengnim! I admit that I did not study," she teased.

Ji Hoo chuckled in his own quiet, subtle way. "Yes, there will be one every week. So, make sure to study for next time."

Jan Di laughed at that. "I'll do my best. Please take care of me!" she exclaimed in a bubbly tone.

Ji Hoo couldn't fight the grin from forming as he held the phone closer to his ear. "Well, don't expect me to go easy on you now. The quizzes will be tough because I suspect that Geum Jan Di likes a challenge."

"Well," she smiled to herself, "you suspect right."

And Ji Hoo's lips curled up into a full-blown smile.

"But I'm not very bright, so don't make them too challenging," she pointed out, worriedly. "I don't want to be one of those poor kids who gets called on in class and doesn't have the answer…" Even though she had been that before.

"Don't worry. Just do your best and be confident like you are at work."

"Okay, I will."

Ji Hoo then asked Jan Di how far she'd gotten in the book, and she told him she'd finished the first chapter. He then asked her about her thoughts on it, aside from the startling beginning, and they talked for another good hour before she let out a small yawn into the phone. She'd nearly forgotten about how tired she was; it was as if she had some strange adrenaline pumping through her veins, keeping her awake...

"You're tired," he pointed out.

"A little."

"You should sleep," he said.

"Yeah, I guess I should be sleeping, but I couldn't at first, so I started reading the book, and now I'm hooked, and I...really wanted to tell you. I'm sorry to call so late."

"It's all right. I'm...glad you called," he said.

His voice had taken on a low, husky quality. Perhaps it was just his nighttime voice, but there was an almost a sensual quality to it. Whatever it was, it inexplicably made her skin prickle and her thighs tingle. "Really?" She squeezed the covers between her fingers, feeling practically giddy, like a teenage girl with a crush. It was silly, but this, right now, seemed reminiscent of an old but familiar feeling, only completely different. It felt like she had entered an early stage of something new, exciting, and a little bit frightening.

Sometimes when it hits you, it hits you fast and hard, she supposed. But she had never really experienced that before, not exactly.

"Yes," Ji Hoo responded to her incredulous remark, wondering why he was suddenly speaking his mind with no apparent filter. It wasn't at all how he would normally behave, and he'd never been quite this way with anyone else…

A prolonged silence passed between them, but it wasn't uncomfortable. They both knew the other was there, and that was reassuring and pleasant.

"Well, I shouldn't keep you longer. You must be tired, too," Jan Di finally spoke.

"Yeah," he said but in a slightly disappointed way. "Well, read the second chapter, and I'll call you sometime this week with a pop quiz."

"I will. And you will read Wuthering Heights, right?"

"Yes, I promise. I will pick it up soon. I'm looking forward to it."

"Are you really?" she laughed.

"Of course. I can appreciate many genres of literature."

You're too good to be true, Yoon Ji Hoo… A brave, good-looking man with a brain, who reads...now there's a rarity!

"Besides, I'm very curious to check out the novel that appeals so much to Captain Geum Jan Di."

"You won't be disappointed," she said with confidence in her voice and a smile on her lips. And then she bid him goodnight. "Goodnight, Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi."

"Goodnight, Geum Jan Di."


After ending the call with Jan Di, Ji Hoo stuck his phone in his pocket and lie back, resting his hands behind his head. It had been an enjoyable conversation, and he looked forward to many more to come, but then he realized something. She hadn't said anything about the date he'd asked her on, and he hadn't brought it up, either. It had crossed his mind, of course, to simply ask if she'd checked that busy schedule of hers, but he didn't want to seem too eager. There was also the small matter of him not yet telling her that he was supposed to be her blind date.

And then there was Jung Woo, who really seemed to like her a lot. This was going to be a problem; he could already tell, and he wasn't quite sure what to do about it. He should certainly talk to Jung Woo and let him know that he, too, had asked Jan Di out, before he found out about his invite, of course. But equally, or perhaps even more important, was knowing where Jan Di stood on this matter. Ji Hoo wanted to keep things casual, though; he didn't want to pressure her at all, so perhaps he would wait for her to bring it up. As far as Jung Woo was concerned, Ji Hoo thought it might be best to mention something to his good friend before he possibly found out from her. That wouldn't exactly go over well…


Two Days Later…

Jan Di sat in her office, lounging with her feet up on her desk and reading Great Expectations. She'd gotten further than expected and was already in the midst of chapter three. This could be attributed to the fact that today was one of those rare days when things were very slow at headquarters.

As emergency medical technicians, Jan Di and her team responded to a myriad of situations, such as cardiac arrests, broken bones, motor vehicle collisions, drug overdoses, and attempted suicides. They performed a number of tasks, from controlling bleeding to intubation to administering some select medications in the field. It was a lot to manage, and they always needed to be on top of their game, so they were required to participate in trainings, at least yearly and sometimes when a new procedure was developed. In fact, they had a special district-wide training day in just a couple of weeks. She would be attending this along with Hyeon-U and a couple others.

The EMTs worked in collaboration with other emergency service professionals when the situation called for it, including occasionally the police force, and of course, the firefighters, in cases of fire or as back-up during a difficult extraction after a motor vehicle crash Strangely, Jan Di had noticed she'd begun to have a reaction when she heard about a fire call in their area, whether she and her team were called to assist or not. But it wasn't the type of reaction she should have. Instead, she found herself experiencing the faintest skip of her heart when she knew she would be seeing Chief Yoon, and when they weren't called to the scene she found herself wondering about him and how it went… But there was no place for those kinds of feelings in her line of work, and it was ridiculous, really, that something as terrible as a fire could stir up such feelings within her.

Today, 119 had only gotten a couple of calls for minor things. In a way, it was nice because it was relaxing, and it meant good news for the citizens out there. Jan Di liked to tell herself that on such days the sun was smiling down on the people of the city. It was something her dad always used to say. He was a positive, sentimental kind of guy who'd made up stories such as that to stop her from crying and to put her to bed as a child.

She missed him…

Yes, these days were nice, but they also got boring. At least now she had something to occupy her time. Outside her office, the guys were oddly quiet, so Jan Di got up and took a quick peek outside the door; they all seemed to be keeping themselves occupied. Hyeon-U and Hyun-Gi were playing cards; Il-Sung was seated on the couch reading. Jae-Kwang was lifting weights in the weight room, and Dong-Geun was reviewing a training manual with his glasses on. As Jan Di peered around the corner, she folded her arms and smiled. It was a rare opportunity when 'the children' were playing so nicely and she didn't need to babysit them. Oh, it wasn't that they didn't get along, but more like they were energetic and rambunctious as little boys, with the attention span of gnats, the younger ones, anyway. That is, aside from when it came to the job.

Since they seemed so complacent right now, Jan Di took the opportunity to hole herself up in her office and read. But as interesting as the book was, Jan Di noticed her thoughts drifting...to Chief Yoon, to be precise. She hadn't seen or heard from him for a couple of days, and she wondered when he was going to call her with the promised quiz. That wasn't the only thought in her head, though…

Jan Di sighed and placed the book down on her desk, keeping it open to the page. She couldn't seem to concentrate at the moment, and she'd even had trouble getting through a single sentence. She chalked it up to tiredness, so she decided to just relax. Nestling back in her chair, she let a contented sigh escape her lips. But as soon as she closed her eyes, her thoughts settled on the fire chief…

Why was it that he was invading her mind so much these days? What was it that made him so interesting to her? It wasn't just his looks; it was more than that. With a groan, she leaned forward and buried her face in her arms on the desk...


It seemed like no time at all before Jan Di heard a knock on the door. Her head snapped up, and she quickly smoothed down her undoubtedly messy hair and bid the person to enter. The door opened, and Chief Yoon stood in the doorway. Her eyes widened in surprise. "Chief Yoon, what are you doing here?"

He tossed her a tiny, perfect smile. "It's Ji Hoo, remember? You should really start calling me Ji Hoo…"

"Wh-why…?" It was odd for him to put it like that.

He only grinned at her. "We're going to be friends, aren't we?"

She nodded. "Yes, friends. Right."

"Then say my name."

"O-kay. Ji Hoo."

"That's much better," he said, lingering in the doorway.

"Ji Hoo," she repeated deliberately, "what are you doing here?"

"Well, I came to offer my protection…"

"What are you talking about…? Protection?" She was flummoxed. And then she recalled his comment about her reading the book alone. She glanced down at her desk where the book lay, cover up. "That's okay; I don't need it."

This only seemed to spur him on, and he took a step inside and closed the door behind him. Her lips parted in surprise. What was he doing? She stood from her seat and came around the side of her desk, but she stuck to the side as if fastened there by some strong adhesive.

"Geum Jan Di, I have a confession. I actually came for a different reason."

"What reason?" He wasn't making any sense right now, but he was so nice to look at, practically radiant, that she let it slide.

"You never gave me an answer about our date. So, I came to ask when I can take you out?"

She glanced down like a shy schoolgirl and fidgeted with the loose grain of wood at the right edge of her desk. "Oh, well, I…"

Ji Hoo took a step forward, and his face took on that seriousness it often had. "Don't you want to go out with me?"

"I do," she responded immediately. She'd been thinking about it a lot, ever since he'd asked her, in fact, but it didn't seem like a simple situation. "But…"

"But?" he asked, coming closer.

"Well, it's just that...I don't think it's a good idea...I mean, don't you think it will be…?"

He kept coming closer until he was so close that they were practically touching. She couldn't think with him this close, so she put her hand up. "...Awkward," she managed to mutter in a weak sounding voice.

He took another partial step forward, forcing her hand to press against his chest, and their eyes locked. She dropped her hand immediately and gripped the edge of the desk for support. "Don't you think so?" she asked in the strongest voice she could muster, "...We work together frequently, and…"

He was staring into her eyes with an intense expression, and he didn't seem to be buying her flimsy reasoning at all.

"People will talk…," she halfheartedly protested as she raised her chin for a better look at him. She was not only running out of excuses but also self-restraint. He was very, very close, and she wanted so badly to reach out and touch his face…

To her surprise, he smiled widely in response. "Who cares?"

dropped open, and it was then that he placed his mouth over hers...

He captured her lips in the middle in a firm yet soft kiss, and a rush of pleasure spread throughout her body in waves. Her hands instinctively settled on his chest, and his arms wrapped around her waist as he gently upon her bottom lip. Her fingers wandered up his chest, to his shoulders, and into his hair, and he turned her just enough to where her back was facing the side of her desk and pressed in slightly. He moved his lips steadily over hers, and she responded in kind, opening while mussing his auburn hair, that was softer than she'd imagined. He pressed his strong hands into the small of her back, causing a shiver to run a course through her body, and he bent her back slightly. His hands slid along her hips, and their lips parted just long enough for him to lift her onto the edge of the desk.

What had come over him? And what had come over her? Shouldn't she be telling him to stop, that they couldn't do this...not here…? But she didn't have the strength to fight it…

Things were moving so fast between them that it seemed unreal...

Without saying a word, he lifted her shirt; she raised her arms and let him take it off. But if he got to do that, then so did she… She reached for the hem of his shirt and took it off him. Meeting with no resistance to his advances, he began kissing and nibbling along her jaw and down her neck while she hugged him around the neck. Sighing and her approval, she shut her eyes for a moment, enjoying the sensation fully before allowing him to lay her back on her messy desk. A few items spilled over the sides, including the book, but she didn't care. There was nothing sharp poking into her back, so this was perfectly fine by her.

He came around the side of the desk, placing one hand on each side and hovering over her. And he stared down at her nearly exposed upper body. She was itching to touch him, and her fingers danced up his muscular forearms just before he leaned forward to kiss her lips again. He moved on to kissing her chest, working his lips thoroughly across the skin there while his hands wandered her arms and stomach. And then she felt one of his arms winding around her back. He brought his mouth down to hers once more and kissed her, softly this time.

Pulling back a bit, he whispered, 'Jan Di-ah...,' against her lips as his fingers went for the clasp of her bra…


The distinctive blaring of the alarm, indicating an emergency situation, shook Jan Di's entire body, waking her immediately. Her head raised and snapped from side to side.

Suddenly, she was alone and seated in her chair fully clothed. "Was it just a dream?" she sighed longingly at being jerked out of her dream tryst, realizing she'd wished for the y little fantasy to continue. And it probably would have because apparently, her dream self had no self-control…

"Always at the worst possible times…," she mumbled in annoyance, but then she recalled who her dream lover had been. Safe to say, she was a bit freaked out, and she animatedly shook her head at herself in disbelief. "What in the world...?!"

And then she snapped out of her stupor and rose to her feet. The alarm!

Jan Di rushed out of her office in a cold sweat and still feeling the annoyingly embarrassing after-effects of her body's strong reaction to the dream, but there was no time to tend to that now. She shook it off as best she could, telling herself that she couldn't be doing this-getting distracted-that she shouldn't be having those kinds of dreams about him or even be thinking about him that way.

Why not? The impish side of her demanded. There's nothing wrong with that. He's a man, and you're a woman. You're both single adults, and clearly, there's an attraction there...

Well, because it's unprofessional. It's just going to make things awkward, or worse yet, interfere with work. Choose someone else, anyone else, just not someone you work closely with. This was the logical part of her brain speaking. Damn that side for making some fine points!

Jan Di sprinted toward the bay while her pro and con sides duked it out in her head, coming to no clear consensus.

Ok, so he had asked her out, and she hadn't exactly discouraged it… Yes, it would be nice to go out with him, but the more she thought about it, the more she felt unsettled. There were just too many what-ifs, too many things that could go wrong...and she didn't know how, but she was certain that dating Yoon Ji Hoo would lead to disaster…

Then the devilish part wormed its way in again, reminding her about seeing his upper body before. It would be amazing, though, wouldn't it?

I'm sure it would, but…

And you deserve it. It's been quite a while, hasn't it?

Ugh! Shut up! She internally yelled at herself. That's for good reason…

Truthfully, it had been quite some time since she'd been out with a man, and frankly, she'd lost track of how many months. No, strike that; she knew how long it had been, but she had chosen to forget…


Frankly, she didn't have the best track record with men. She hardly dated when she was younger, first because of shyness, and then because of family problems. There were a couple of young crushes that didn't turn into much. And then there was her relationship with her ex in her last year of high school, the one serious one she'd had, which was a disaster; at least the end of it was. She was with him the longest, and it took her a long time to even come close to getting past it. And then when she finally thought she could like someone new, that ended before it even began… But that wasn't something she wanted to think about, either.


Wiping her eyes quickly to banish the sudden tears, she arrived at the bay as the last chime of the alarm went off. The ambulance was ready to go with Hyeon-U at the wheel. Jan Di opened the door and got in beside him, casting a quick glance to the back where Dong-Geun and Jin-Soo, a middle-aged but newer EMT with short, spiked hair, who they had already labeled as the 'quiet one,' sat.

"A seventy-five-year-old woman passed out in her home," Hyeon-U briefed Jan Di as she settled into her seat. This was a common occurrence and accounted for nearly half of the calls they received.

Jan Di nodded, shifting uncomfortably in her seat as she buckled up. Hyeon-U glanced over for a few seconds as he put the vehicle into gear. "You all right?" he asked as he hit the siren and pulled out of the bay.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

Hyeon-U set his jaw as he checked the traffic. While he waited, he looked briefly at Jan Di before fixing his eyes on the road and pulling out. "You look flushed."

"Oh." Jan Di patted her legs vigorously. She probably was blushing after that dream, especially given her response to it, and having attention brought to the matter made it even worse. She turned to stare out the window, hoping to hide her face from his sight until it went back to normal.

"Dammit!" Hyeon-U shouted when someone cut him off, and he tossed some verbal lashes out the window. He muttered a few choice phrases under his breath but was soon calm again. "Getting sick or something, Captain Geum?" he asked softly while keeping his eyes on the road.

"Of course not. I don't get sick," she asserted. "It was just...hot in my office…" Aish, that dream! That cursed image of making out with Chief Yoon against-and on-her desk was still haunting her mind. She shifted in her seat again.

"What's with you?" Hyeon-U asked, noticing her fidgeting out of the corner of his eye.

"Nothing," she growled, "It's just hot in here, too..." She exhaled, waving her hand in front of her face in an attempt at cooling her cheeks.

She was just relieved that she wouldn't be seeing Chief Yoon right now. In fact, how was she ever going to look him in the eye after this? Oh well, as long as he never found out, she would do her best to pretend nothing was weird…

Apparently, Hyeon-U believed her story because he simply turned the air up a bit and let the subject drop. He continued driving in the direction of the emergency call...


The 119 team arrived at the home of the elderly woman. They rushed inside and up the stairs to the second floor. At the open door, they were greeted by a middle-aged woman. From the inside, they could hear a dog barking and whimpering. "Thank God you're here! Come quickly!" the short-haired woman exclaimed as she beckoned them inside.

Jan Di was the first inside the apartment, followed closely by her three guys. She caught sight of the victim and rushed to her immediately, but seated protectively in front of the woman, blocking her path, was a dog, a shaggy black and white dog with big brown eyes and a half speckled face. The dog was whimpering, but when Jan Di got near, it began to crouch low and growl at her. Keeping her eyes on the dog the entire time, Jan Di cautiously approached.

All eyes were on Jan Di. "Be careful, Captain!" Dong-Geun exclaimed, with worry in his voice. Hyeon-U echoed that sentiment and then asked the woman, who had shown them in, about what had happened to the victim and about her relationship to her. "Are you related?" he asked.

"No, I'm her neighbor…," she spoke shakily, "but I l-look in on her from time to time. I...I...was bringing her groceries...I do that sometimes because...she...is all alone."

"That's kind of you," Hyeon-U said.

The woman took a deep breath. "I was coming to check on her today when I...found her...this way...," she stammered upon recalling the fright she had and the sight before her now. "I don't know how long she was like this, but I called as soon as I found her."

Hyeon-U looked to Jan Di and then put a comforting hand on the rattled woman's shoulder. "Has this ever happened to her before?"

"She fell once a few months ago and injured her hip, but she didn't lose consciousness."

Hyeon-U nodded and continued to question the woman. "Does she have any medical conditions? Taking any medications?"

"High blood pressure, and…," the woman thought for a moment, "She has a heart condition."

Jan Di took note of this in her head. She'd wondered if it was a case of syncope due to heat exhaustion, dehydration, low blood pressure, or perhaps a reaction to a medication, but from what this woman had said, she'd probably had a cardiac arrest.

"Madam, Halmoni, can you hear me?" Jan Di called to the woman, and she tried to assess her condition with her eyes from the short distance away that she was. It didn't look good based upon the woman's pallor, and Jan Di couldn't see her chest moving at all. Slowly, she crouched and reached out for the woman's frail wrist, hoping to check for a pulse, but the dog snarled at her.

"Ma'am, please call the dog!" Jan Di instructed the neighbor. The neighbor said she didn't know the dog's name, but she attempted to call it, referring to it as just 'dog.' But the canine wouldn't budge and was now staring Jan Di down. Jan Di was very frustrated; she needed to tend to the victim quickly, but she didn't want to get bitten either. Again, she reached out, but the dog barked at her and lunged slightly.

Jan pulled back her hand. "It's okay…it's okay...I'm not going to hurt you...," she spoke in a dulcet tone toward the dog. This seemed to calm it a bit, and she saw its tail wag once, but it still would not move an inch away from the woman.

Dong-Geun and Jin-Soo made their way toward their superior to back her up or even grab the dog if necessary, but when the two men came up behind Jan Di, the dog began to snarl again.

"Stay back," Jan Di warned. "I don't want you to get attacked."

"Be careful, Captain," Dong Geun reiterated.

Hyeon-U folded his arms. "I agree with the rookie, Captain. I know you're fearless, but even though this animal is a pet, it doesn't seem friendly."

"It's OK," Jan Di reassured. "It's just scared."

"Even more dangerous," Hyeon-U pointed out.

"Yeah, but what choice do I have?" And then Jan Di had a thought. "Ya, Dong-Geun, do you have any food on you?"

"Food?" the young man questioned.

"Yes, I know you always carry around a protein bar or cookies or something."

"Yes, Captain, I do."

"Give it to me, quick!"

"Yes, Captain." Dong-Geun dipped his hand in his pocket and came up with a package of cookies. Jan Di stuck her hand behind her, and he placed it in the palm, "Here you go, Captain."

"Thanks, I'll replace them." Jan Di tore open the package and plucked out a cookie. Squatting down lower, she held out the cookie toward the dog. "Here, girl." The dog sniffed the air but didn't go for the cookie. Aish… Jan Di then tossed the cookie to the side, hoping she would go for it. When she didn't, Jan Di gave up. Whatever, I'm going in! If I get bitten, I get bitten!

To Jan Di's surprise, the dog just sat there watching her when she touched the woman. The old lady was pale and cool, and her eyes were closed. "Halmoni, my name is Geum Jan Di, and I'm with emergency services. I'm here to help you." Jan Di checked the radial artery and then the carotid artery. As she suspected.

Jan Di looked to Hyeon-U, and her eyes said it all. Hyeon-U tightened his mouth at the lack of hope in the captain's eyes, and he sat the younger woman down on the couch in the living room area.

"No pulse," Jan Di said in a low voice. Dong-Geun handed Jan Di the red box containing the AED kit, and he and Jin-Soo helped Jan Di gently roll the woman fully onto her back. Jan Di pulled out the mask and placed it over the woman's face. "Starting CPR."

Dong-Geun and Jin-Soo assisted Jan Di while she tried to resuscitate the woman. Meanwhile, Hyeon-U spoke with the neighbor. "Does she have any family?"

"No. Her husband passed away a few years ago, and she didn't have kids. She just lives here with her dog. I check in on her now and again, take her to some doctor appointments, and bring her groceries."

Jan Di worked on the woman for several minutes to no avail. It was as she'd thought; the woman was probably dead when they arrived, but Jan Di kept trying. At some point, the dog strangely seemed to understand the situation because it walked off, tail between its legs, and lay down in a corner with its head between its paws.

"Is...is she going to be alright?" the neighbor called from the next room.

Jan Di finally stood and walked toward the neighbor and Hyeon-U, her head lowered slightly. This was the part that -when there was nothing she could do to help and had to deliver bad news. It happened often in cases such as these, especially with the elderly because by the time the call was made and they got there, it was usually too late. And this woman had probably fallen at least 15 or 20 minutes before the neighbor even found her. It was just one of those things that happened, no one's fault, but just life. Jan Di just hoped she didn't suffer.

The neighbor stood up from the couch to face the EMT captain, and Hyeon-U stood beside her. The nervous woman wrung her hands and waited for Jan Di to tell her what she probably already knew. Jan Di stood there with a tightened jaw. "I'm sorry, ma'am, but there's nothing more we can do."

The middle-aged woman shed a couple of tears and nodded. It was obvious that she'd cared for the old woman, even though they were not related.

It's always hard to keep a sunny disposition in times like these, Appa…, Jan Di thought.

"Again, I'm very sorry," Jan Di said, and she looked to Hyeon-U and asked him to make the appropriate calls. Jan Di then asked the woman a few questions and encouraged her to go back to her home.

"What about the dog?" Dong-Geun pointed toward the cowering animal in the corner. Jan Di somberly looked over. It looked terrified with its tail between its legs, and she could tell it was shivering.

It must be so sad about its owner…

"Right. Ma'am, are you able to, or do you know of anyone who can take care of this dog?"

The woman shook her head. "No, I'm sorry. I definitely can't, and I don't think anyone else here will take it in." Jan Di considered going around to some apartments and asking, but then the woman added, "She wasn't even supposed to have the dog here. It was a secret, and she taught the dog to hide when the landlord or any company came, except for me."

"I see," Jan Di said. "Well, don't worry. I'll take care of the matter." Jan Di gently asked the woman to return to her home, and she promised to call her with the details.


The old woman was pronounced dead at the scene of a myocardial infarction, as Jan Di had suspected. After the coroner finished his examination and the body was removed, Jan Di packed up her gear. Afterward, she stopped and stared over at the canine.

"So, what do you want to do, Captain?" Hyeon-U asked, noticing her intense stare. It was clear that the captain had thoughts in her head.

Jan Di slowly approached the dog again, and her guys, again, warned her to be careful. She passed the bag of cookies on the floor. "I'll be fine," she said as she stooped down to pick up the bag.

"Should we just set it free?" Jin-Soo asked.

"No, it'll get hit by a car or maybe bite someone," Jan Di replied. Even though she suspected this dog was a very good dog, it was obviously scared and didn't know what to do.

Jan Di got down low and slowly held the cookie out, judging the dog's reaction.

Hyeon-U folded his arms tightly, half-expecting to soon be driving the captain to the hospital to have her hand stitched up, or worse yet, the dog might go for her face or throat. "Captain, are you sure about this?" and he took a step forward. The dog looked over, and its eyes got wider.

Jan Di cast her glance quickly between the dog and man. "It's fine, Hyeon-U. Stand down."

Jan Di remained calm and confident because she knew animals could sense that. And she kept the cookie out. The dog shrunk back, but then she spoke softly to it, and it slunk forward.

The guys looked on with concern, but then they saw the dog sniff and take the cookie out of the captain's hand. They sighed in relief, and Jan Di turned her head slightly, while still keeping an eye on the dog. Jan Di fixed her team with a big smile. "You see?"

"Wau, Captain Geum is some kind of dog whisperer!" Dong-Geun exclaimed, impressed. Jan Di tossed the dog another cookie, and it munched away on that.

Jin-Soo smiled, and Hyeon-U shook his head.

"No, Dong-Geun-ah, I think she is just beginning to trust me, so I'm lucky."

"Alright, well what now?" Hyeon-U asked.

"I'll lure her with cookies, and we'll take her with us. Then...," and Jan Di shrugged, "I don't know; I guess I'll take her to a shelter or something, I guess."

Jan Di stood up; she took another cookie out and dangled it as she started walking, and she whistled for the dog. "Here girl, come on…" And Jan Di was relieved that it didn't take much for the dog to follow her.

The guys went first and opened the double back doors to the ambulance, and Jan Di hopped inside. Holding the cookie out, Captain Geum whistled for the dog again, and it jumped inside. She rewarded the animal with the cookie, and the guys shut the doors.


On the ride back to headquarters, Jan Di spent her time petting the dog and making calls to shelters. The first one she called informed that they were full. Then she called a second one, which was willing to accept the dog, but after she found out that the dog would be put to sleep if they didn't find someone to adopt her within two weeks, Jan Di decided to just take her back to headquarters.

The rest of the day was relatively uneventful, and Jan Di spent most of it taking care of her new four-legged friend and trying to figure out what she was going to do. When no great ideas came to her, she ended up taking the dog with her and sneaking it into her apartment, which didn't allow pets.


After Jan Di's shift ended and she left for the evening with the dog, the EMTs still on duty were gathered discussing their day.

"The captain seems really taken with that dog, huh?" Dong-Geun commented, to which Hyeon-U nodded. "Yeah, it seemed to make her happier and take her mind off the old woman dying. She was pretty bummed about that."

Dong-Geun nodded. "Does Captain blame herself? There was nothing she could do."

"I don't think she does. Our captain is realistic, but she has a big heart, too, and she's determined. She really hates feeling powerless," Hyeon-U pointed out. "I'm glad the dog cheered her up a little, but I hope she finds a home for it and doesn't want to keep it here…"

"Why not? You don't like dogs, Sunbae?" a volunteer asked.

"I just think it's too much to deal with." Hyeon-U sighed. "But...if it's gonna make her happy...I guess...," and he his chin considering the option...


When Jan Di got into her small apartment, she found a suitable bowl and ran some water from the sink into it. The dog followed her and sat in the kitchen, waiting. Jan Di put the bowl down beside her and then prepared another bowl with some raw meat. After placing it before the dog, she watched the animal sniff at it and hesitate.

"Come on, girl. You need to eat." Jan Di got down and pet the canine while encouraging her to eat. I should buy dog food, Jan Di made a mental note, not wanting to forget. And more cookies for Dong-Geun while I'm at it.

It was then that Jan Di's phone rang. She fished it out of her pocket and looked at the screen. And she smiled when she saw who was calling. After taking a few extra seconds to prepare, she answered, "Hello there."

On the other end, Ji Hoo greeted her in a cheerful manner. "How was your day?" he asked.

"Well," Jan Di released her breath, "it started out slow...and then we got we got a call about an old woman who had collapsed," her voice grew somber, "She was dead when I got there, and I couldn't revive her."

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah, but I know by now that it happens," Jan D spoke sullenly.

"Still, it's never easy to lose someone."

A sad smile crossed Jan Di's lips. "No, it's not," and she paused, taking in the weight of his statement, "You know...sometimes, this line of work is hard."

That was something Ji Hoo could certainly empathize with. It is. But rather than saying anything, he just listened to her go on.

"You get into it thinking you're going to help people and save lives, but honestly, a lot of times I just feel...helpless."

"You are anything but helpless, Geum Jan Di," he spoke sincerely.

Jan Di smiled a bit, appreciating his words. "...Why are you always so nice to me Yoon Ji Hoo?"

One corner of Ji Hoo's mouth twitched. He felt there were many ways he could answer that...because it comes easily...because I like you..., but he settled for, "Because you're a kind person."

"What? Really?" she asked, incredulous.

Her reaction was so cutely over the top that it nearly made Ji Hoo laugh.

Meanwhile, Jan Di slumped down onto her couch. "I'm surprised you think so. I mean, I was so rude to you when we first met. ...I'm really sorry about that, by the way."

"There's no need to apologize, Jan Di. I knew that first day what kind of person you really were. I knew that you were compassionate."

His words were unexpected, but they warmed her heart, even made her feel relieved that he thought so.

"You treated my wound, remember? I know you said it was just your job, but taking care of a sick man that you barely know off-duty is not in your job description. ...It takes a special type of person to do that."

This brought a wide smile to Jan Di's face. How did he always do that, make her smile so much, even after she'd had a hard day? She wanted to somehow return his kind words, but she wasn't quite sure what to say…

Still grinning like an idiot, Jan Di watched the dog sniffing at its food dish. "Yes! Good girl!" she shouted excitedly when she saw the dog eating from the bowl.

"Excuse me? Geum Jan Di, did you just call me a girl?"

"Oops, sorry. No," she laughed. "I was talking to…," and then Jan Di was interrupted by the sound of the dog's bark. She had already finished the meat and was now sitting in front of Jan Di and pawing at her pant leg for attention. Phone in one hand, she petted the dog's head with her other.

"You have a dog?" Ji Hoo inferred from the loud sound.

"Well, now I do...temporarily, at least until I find a home for her. Do you want to hear the story?"

"Yes, do tell."

"Well, you know the old woman I told you about…"

Jan Di related the rest of the story about the woman's dog. "You should have seen how protective this dog was of its owner, Ji Hoo-ssi. It wouldn't let me even get near at first; I was so frustrated because I wanted to help the old woman. It wasn't the dog's fault, though. It just thought I might hurt her, and it was protecting the person it loved… The delay didn't really matter, though...I could already tell she was gone and probably had been since the call, but I at least needed to try to help her."

And then Jan Di informed him of how there was no one to take the dog and about her calls to the shelters. "I don't know what I'm going to do…," she lamented. "I can't keep her here. My apartment doesn't allow pets. I had to sneak her in, and I'll tell you it wasn't easy. I'm pretty sure my mean old landlady is suspicious, but I can keep her at bay for one night. I would love to keep the dog here if I could. I guess I could hide her like that woman did, but...I'm hardly home, anyway. She'd probably bark and be discovered."

"Probably, and I wouldn't want you getting evicted, Jan Di," Ji Hoo said.

She didn't realize he cared that much. Perhaps it was just the fact that he was a nice man. You're a compassionate person, too, Ji Hoo-ssi…

"I thought about keeping her at headquarters, but I don't think the guys would want that, some of them, anyway. I can just tell. Hyeon-U seemed to think she was some kind of vicious beast, and the others didn't really interact with her much."

Trying to be helpful, Ji Hoo offered a couple of options: Putting an ad out to find an owner, trying a couple more shelters, asking some friends, and finally, he suggested bringing the dog to the station.

His last suggestion got Jan Di very excited. "Really? Ji Hoo-ssi, are you serious?!" Her high-pitched voice made the dog bark again, so Jan Di shushed her by scratching her behind the ear.

"Yes. Why not? Someone is always there. I suppose she could be our fire dog, like a mascot of sorts."

"Ji Hoo-ssi, oh, that's so great! I could kiss you!" Jan Di immediately placed her hand over upon realizing how that must have sounded, and it also served to remind her of her dream…

Fortunately, Ji Hoo didn't make her humiliation worse, saying only, "Well, I don't know if it's deserving of that..."

Jan Di laughed and quickly changed the subject. "So, do you really think the other firefighters will go for it, Ji Hoo-ssi?"

"I'll talk to them, but I'm sure they will. If not, I am in charge."

Jan Di laughed at that. "Look who's abusing his power!" And Ji Hoo chuckled in response. "I don't play the boss card much, so they can deal with it this time."

"Well, thank you...so much."

She seemed really touched by his offer and so happy that it made his heart swell with joy.

"You won't regret this. She's such a sweet dog!"

Ji Hoo hoped he wouldn't. He didn't often make rash decisions like this, but it just came out, and when Jan Di got so happy about it, he couldn't take it back. So, he would make it work, somehow. Besides, it was a dog, and who didn't love dogs?

"So," he cleared his throat, "When will you bring the dog?"

"Well, I'm off tomorrow, but I have a few errands to run. Is tomorrow, maybe around 1 PM okay?"

Ji Hoo did his best to subdue how pleased he was by that and said, "That would be fine."

"Again, thank you so much for this, really. I feel so much better knowing that she'll be in good hands!"

Ji Hoo smiled on his end. "You're welcome."

With a sigh, Jan Di looked down at the dog, who had lain on the floor beside her. "It's okay, girl… Ji Hoo-ssi, do you think she is depressed...about her owner," Jan Di mused as she patted the dog on the head.

"Maybe. Animals may not feel emotions the same as we do, but I'm sure she knows something is different."

"Yeah… I feel bad for her."

Ji Hoo was silent for several minutes. "Ji Hoo-ssi?" she asked.

"Hm?"

"Oh, nothing, sorry! I was just checking to see if you were still here."

"Of course. I would never go without saying goodbye," he said warmly.

And Jan Di appreciated that more than she could express right now. They ended their conversation shortly after as Jan Di needed to take care of the dog...


The Next Morning…

Jan Di woke up to the dog her face. She pushed her gently out of the way and took a peek at her alarm on the bedside table. She still had ten minutes before she needed to get up. She knew it wasn't much, but ten minutes was ten minutes... Jan Di rolled over and clutched at her pillow, but the dog was relentless and kept pawing at her, whimpering, and her arm. "Aigoo…" Did this dog have some kind of strange sixth sense when it came to knowing an alarm was going to ring?

Jan Di groaned and sat up, ruffling the dog's fur. "Are you hungry, girl?" She really needs a name, Jan Di thought.

I guess I should get up. I need to get some things for the dog, including a leash to walk her on.

Jan Di prepared some food for the dog, showered, combed her medium length hair and left it down, something she'd didn't normally do. Normally it was in a ponytail. She dressed in a peach-colored t-shirt and white shorts. After telling the dog to behave, she left the apartment and went to the corner pet store to buy a leash and a few supplies for her. She also planned to inquire about a good vet.


Jan Di arrived at the fire station at precisely 1 PM with the shaggy dog by her side on a leash. The doors to the bay were open, and one of the fire engines was parked in the driveway. Jan Di smiled at the sight of Chief Yoon's back turned toward the fire engine. He had wheeled a yellow bucket over to the fire engine and was gripping a long scrub brush.

Chief Yoon was the easiest for her to identify because of his body type, which was leaner than the others, yet still muscular, and mostly, it was the red hair that gave him away. She took a moment to smooth her own umber hair out before approaching him.

When he turned and caught sight of her, he gave her that perfect smile, and it actually stopped her in her tracks.

She'd thought it would be difficult to even look at him after the dream she'd had, but she just kept looking-staring, actually. His smile was amazing, and it soothed and excited her in equal measure. She garnered her courage and approached him.

Ji Hoo stood there, watching her come closer. "So, this is the famous rescue dog?" he said, sporting that winning smile of his.

"Yes, this is her," Jan Di smiled back proudly as if introducing a well-loved and respected member of her family. "She's a border collie, and I did some research...did you know they are great for search and rescue? And after spending some time with her, I learned that she is really smart," Jan Di was babbling; it was cute, but Ji Hoo felt the need to put her mind at ease, "And do you know that she woke me up this morning before my alarm even went off? It was like she could sense it and knew that I needed to wake up, and believe me, she wouldn't take no for an answer!"

Ji Hoo gave Jan Di a good-natured smile. "You don't have to sell me on the dog, Jan Di. I already agreed, and the guys accepted. I won't change my mind."

"Okay, good," she sighed in relief.


And Ji Hoo recalled talking to the guys about the dog early this morning…

"Well, we're getting a dog," he'd come right out and announced after gathering the men.

"A dog? Really, Chief?" Jae Hyun asked.

"A dog? I love dogs! Like, a puppy?" Sung Jin excitedly asked.

"Not a puppy, an adult dog."

"Excuse my rudeness, but why are we getting a dog, Chief?" Do Yun interjected.

"This dog needs a home, and it will help out a friend of mine. The dog will live here at the station, and we will all take turns caring for it."

The men looked a bit stunned.

"Does anyone have a problem with that?" Ji Hoo asked directly. "If so, please speak up now because my friend will be here with the dog later today."

Everyone was silent.

"Actually, having a dog would be kind of cool, Chief," Jae Hyun spoke up. The others seemed to agree, but Ji Hoo gave them a vote, anyway, and they unanimously voted for the dog.

Ji Hoo appreciated it.


Returning to the present moment, Ji Ho put the brush down and met Jan Di halfway.

He stood before them, looking down at the dog, and then, to Jan Di's surprise, he got down on his knee.

"Annyeong," the chief directed the greeting at the dog, and then he glanced up at Jan Di, "What's her name?"

"She doesn't have one yet."

"Okay," Ji Hoo turned his eyes back to the canine. "Annyeong, Dog. I am Chief Yoon of the Jongno Fire District," he spoke formally and bowed his head.

Jan Di placed her hand over , stifling a laugh at the funny, cute moment.

"I am pleased to meet you; let's get along!" He then held out his hand, palm up, and the dog proceeded to place her paw in the palm of Ji Hoo's hand. Jan Di's mouth dropped open slightly, and then she smiled.

"You're right; she is smart," Ji Hoo commented, keeping eye contact with the dog. At that, it lunged forward slightly, surprising both Ji Hoo and Jan Di. The dog didn't attack, though, but only started Ji Hoo's face. Ji Hoo placed his hands on the dog's back trying to fend her off while Jan Di burst into a fit of giggles.

"I guess she likes you," Jan Di commented through the giggles.

"A little too much," Ji Hoo quipped.

Jan Di had only just managed to cease the giggles when he said that, and it made her laugh again, a short one. She called off the dog, and it finally stopped Ji Hoo. He stood up, wiping his face a little, and looked at Jan Di.

"Thank you again, Ji Hoo-ssi. I'm glad you two get along so well."

He nodded.

"Oh, and excuse her appearance right now. She's a beautiful dog, but she decided to roll in some mud on the way here."

Ji Hoo chuckled. "Well, isn't it convenient that I was just about to wash the truck. Perhaps after we show her to the guys, I can give her a bath."

Jan Di smiled. "That's a great idea."


Ji Hoo led Jan Di and the dog inside, so he could introduce the dog and her, officially, to the guys. Inside the apparatus bay, a few of the firefighters were hanging around. Ji Hoo rang a small bronze bell, which they all knew meant to assemble for some announcement or assignments. They all came quickly, and most seemed to recognize Jan Di on the spot.

"Everyone, if you don't know, this is Captain Geum Jan Di of Emergency Services," Ji Hoo began.

"We know, Chief!" Do-Yun called out, and some of the others joined in, too.

"Even if you know, please greet her properly," Ji Hoo ordered, and all the men said, "Hello, Captain Geum!" and bowed to her.

Jan Di bid them hello and bowed. Then Chief Yoon presented each of his guys by name, and Jan Di exchanged a polite greeting with each one. She had seen most of them before but hadn't known all of their names, and she hoped she wouldn't forget. Perhaps there was some sort of nickname or mnemonic device she could assign to them in her head to help her remember...

As she pondered that, Ji Hoo held his hand out, showing off the dog. The men all looked down at the dog on Captain Geum's leash. "And this is going to be our dog, but we'll need to give her a name," Ji Hoo announced.

The firefighters approached the dog in a group, and Jan Di was a little afraid that she might freak out, so she asked them to go slowly and to come only one at a time. They did so, and the dog handled it surprisingly well, allowing the guys to pet her and scratch her behind the ears. She a few of their hands and faces, and one of them even had treats for her, so he was golden in her eyes.

Jan Di smiled warmly at the touching scene before her. The dog would fit in nicely here; she was sure of it, but she was really going to miss her new furry friend...


While the men greeted the dog, Jung Woo took Ji Hoo aside. "So, this is the friend you were talking about, Chief?"

"Yes, why?"

Jung Woo shrugged, "No reason. I was just surprised, that's all." And with that, he just turned and walked away. With a faint exhale, Ji Hoo watched him walk off. That was something he still needed to deal with…


Turning back toward Jan Di and the others, Ji Hoo noticed that the men were leading Jan Di off somewhere, so Ji Hoo followed. They ushered her into the dayroom with the dog and proceeded to show Jan Di a corner with a large, soft dog bed. They then showed Jan Di the food and water bowls they picked out specially and a pile of dog toys.

"This is so great, you guys!" Jan Di thanked them all profusely and gave each a hug.

Ji Hoo watched with a smile. He too was a bit surprised that his men had prepared so well for their new pet, and he wondered when they had managed to pick up these items. They were really embracing this...

When Jan Di turned back to Ji Hoo, she just looked at him, wondering if she should give him a hug. She did owe him for this, but for some reason, she felt weird about giving him a hug. But why should she? They were going to be friends, weren't they?

Ji Hoo seemed to understand her hesitation and let her off the hook. "Captain Geum, I'm going to wash the truck and then give the dog a bath."

"Do you need some help?" she asked.

"I got it. You can stay here and play with the dog, and I'll let you know when I'm ready for her," he said as he headed off.

But Jan Di followed. "I should help. After all, you're doing me a huge favor here."

Ji Hoo nodded and beckoned her with a smile and a tilt of his head. Jan Di bent to unhook the dog's leash from the simple black collar she'd bought and ruffled her fur. "Play with your new friends now," she told the dog before following after Ji Hoo. But then, to both their surprises, the dog went obediently to Jan Di's side.

"Sorry guys," Jan Di looked back at the disheartened group, "but I guess she wants to go with us." And then Jan Di shot an inquiring look to Ji Hoo.

"It's fine. She can come. We'll wash her first."

"Okay, come on, girl. And you guys," she pointed at them, "start thinking of names!"


Ji Hoo took Jan Di and the dog out through the apparatus bay, gave Jan Di a quick look at the vehicle maintenance area, and then they headed outside to where the truck was parked. Ji Hoo prepared a bucket of soap and water, grabbed a couple of sponges, and readied the hose...

Washing the dog was no easy task, and it took the both of them. Ji Hoo held the dog down while Jan Di scrubbed her thick, muddy coat with soap. The mud was solidly caked onto her fur now, so it took some effort. Aside from that, the dog clearly did not like baths, and she tried to wriggle free a few times. Jan Di suggested getting reinforcements, but Ji Hoo assured her that he could handle it. Their furry friend was a free spirit, though, and she managed to slip out of Ji Hoo's hold, knocking the fire chief on his behind. Jan Di couldn't help but giggle as she offered him a hand up.

Ji Hoo was mildly embarrassed, but he took her hand and thanked her. And then they chased the canine, who had run back into the station, wandered into Ji Hoo's office, and hid under his desk. Together, they managed to get her out while Ji Hoo commented that the station was going to need a good cleaning after this. Jan Di apologized profusely, but he simply smiled a bit and told her it was fine. And then they practically dragged the unwilling party back outside.

This time, they tied the dog up while Ji Hoo hosed her down.

Upon finishing, they marveled at the job they'd done, but there wasn't much time for celebration because immediately, the dog started shaking off. Dirty water was flying everywhere, so Ji Hoo did his best to shield Jan Di.

After the dog-perpetrated drizzle, Ji Hoo went for towels for them. He handed one to Jan Di and kept one himself, and they wiped off the muddy water as best they could. "Well, that was fun," Ji Hoo joked, and Jan Di laughed.

When Ji Hoo noticed that Jan Di had a bit of mud in her hair that she'd missed, he took her towel and wiped it away for her.

"Thank you," she uttered, almost breathily. He simply nodded and handed the towel back.

When he turned away from her, Jan Di released the breath she'd been holding and squatted down to towel dry the dog's fur. Once she finished, they took the dog inside and turned her over to the guys.

"I'm going to need a shower after this," Ji Hoo commented.

Me too, Jan Di thought.

"But I better wait until after I wash the truck. I'll do that now," he informed her as he headed back outside.

"I'll help you," she offered again.

"You really don't have to."

"I really do, especially after that. It's the least I can do."

"Okay," he said, and with a smirk, Ji Hoo waved her over. He began to explain the procedure, but then Jan Di reminded him that they have trucks at the emergency headquarters, too, and that she has washed them many times. "Of course," Ji Hoo said. He went for a second long-handled brush, so they could both work on it, and they began scrubbing the bright red engine side by side.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di worked steadily and quietly, for both were focused upon the task at hand.

At last, someone spoke up, and it was Jan Di. "If you're the chief, then why do you wash the truck?" she asked curiously. Normally, the person in charge gives such grunt work to their subordinates, she thought. She wasn't like that, but many were, and she had been on the tail end of that more than a few times.

"I don't always, but I like to do my part around here, too," he replied. "We all rotate on tasks."

Jan Di liked that answer a lot.

"Besides, if I don't do it, then it doesn't always get done right. They always miss spots."

"I see that you are very thorough, Chief Yoon," she pointed out.

"I am."

Jan Di smiled and returned to washing the truck. Once it was coated with a white, bubbly film, Ji Hoo went for the hose. Jan Di asked if they could do it together, so he went in search of another hose for her. He managed to find one and brought it to her.

They began to spray off the side of the track, but then Jan Di got an idea. Feeling a little competitive, she suggested that they each take a side of the truck and race to the finish. "Won't that make the work more fun?" she pointed out.

Ji Hoo chuckled and agreed to it, saying he would even give her a head-start and let her take the side they'd already begun.

"Oh, you're that confident, are you, Chief Yoon?"

"Yes, I am. I do this all the time."

"Well, so do I," she spoke confidently.

"Then this should be a good match." He grinned at her. "Okay, ready, get so, GO!"

And they were off, spraying the fire truck furiously with water. When Ji Hoo made it to the front, he peeked around to see how she was doing. And his lips parted at the sight of her, completely fixated on what she was doing. For some reason, it was beautiful and completely mesmerizing...

It was a close match, but he purposely let her win, just to make her happy. She discovered this, though, and she seemed angry about it. Holding the hose in one hand and placing her other hand on her hip, she chewed him out for going easy on her. "What kind of man just gives up like that?" she demanded to know.

Her words shocked him, so he promised her a rematch soon. And next time, he would definitely not go easy on her, he assured. She seemed satisfied by this and grew quiet. They observed each other for a minute or two, and then he smirked over at her, hoping to ease the tension.

"What?" she asked.

"You know, Geum Jan Di...I think...you could use a shower," and he held up his hose like a weapon.

"Yoon Ji Hoo, DON'T YOU DARE!"

The fire chief grinned playfully as he ignored her warning and misted a little water in her direction. She avoided most of the water droplets, but he wasn't really trying to get her very wet.

Jan Di raised her hose and held it out toward him with purpose. "You don't want to mess with me, Chief Yoon!"

He smiled. "And why is that, Captain Geum?" he spoke in a flirtatious manner.

But Jan Di was quite serious. "Because I never give up. And I never let my guard down..."

"Neither do I," he challenged.

Jan Di laughed. "Well, make sure you don't. Okay then. Truce?"

He nodded, and they both slowly lowered their weapons to the ground. With a smile, Ji Hoo turned his back, and it was then that he felt a strong shot of water in his back, right between the shoulder blades. "Yah!" he shouted, nearly jumping a mile. He heard Jan Di's laughter and spun around.

Jan Di was now grinning devilishly at him and trying not to laugh while holding the hose between her fingers.

Ji Hoo damatically clutched at his heart in betrayal and then folded his toned arms over his strong chest. "Geum Jan Di!" he scolded.

The corners of twitched, but she tried to remain serious. "I guess you don't think I'm so kind now," she teased.

Ji Hoo shook his head at her. "No, you're still kind, but...with the occasional evil streak."

"Yah!" Jan Di shouted, and this caused Ji Hoo to laugh loudly. She'd never heard him laugh like that; it was a short but boisterous laugh. It sounded like the laugh of a boy but in the low tone of a man. She felt the hose slipping through her fingers, so she held it tighter.

And then he winked at her. That made her drop the hose altogether. She quickly picked it up.

He picked up his hose, too, and with a grin, he started chasing her around the fire engine…


Jung Woo had caught sight of the scene and was watching from the sidelines. He was leaning against the side of the apparatus bay with his arms folded, watching just out of sight. Not that they would notice, even if he was in plain view…

Just then, Jae Hyun sidled up next to him. "Hey, Jung Woo Sunbae."

"Hey," Jung Woo muttered.

"What's going on?" the rookie asked as he followed Jung Woo's eyes. He heard Captain Geum's surprisingly girlish laughter and saw her and the chief running around the fire engine with hoses in their hands trying to spray one another.

"What's that all about?" Jae Hyun mused aloud.

The senior firefighter just shrugged, and Jae Hyun took another look at the chief and Captain Geum, who were still going at it. Jae Hyun turned slightly toward Jung Woo. "Sunbae, what's up with the chief? I've never seen him act this way before…"

Jung Woo cocked his head, taking a long look. Ji Hoo was laughing and smiling and circling around the truck, occasionally stopping and turning the other direction. He'd never seen his good friend act this way, either, and as for Geum Jan Di, well, who knew she was like this? Laughing and chasing each other around like this, they looked like a couple of lovestruck teenagers. Jung Woo took a deep breath and let it out slowly. They both looked really happy, though, and Ji Hoo was his friend, so he should be happy for him, right?

Jung Woo sighed again. "What do you think?" he muttered in annoyance before walking off on the kid.


Meanwhile, Jan Di had already run around the truck several times. She was getting a bit tired and starting to feel silly, but it was fun, and she couldn't seem to care about how she looked right now.

Ji Hoo went to cut her off; she let out a small scream and took off in the other direction.

Yes, Geum Jan Di was fast, but he was faster and knew the fire truck better than her. He owed her one for the stream of water to the back, so he decided to take a small shortcut. Placing a foot on the rear step of the truck, he hoisted himself onto the ladder storage deck. He sat there, legs dangling over the side, and he let her pass by once. Smiling down, he enjoyed the cute look of confusion on her face when she peeked around the corner but didn't see him coming. She took another pass and then slowed down, creeping around his side. It was then that he jumped down, cutting off her path.

Jan Di shrieked and quickly bolted in the other direction, but Ji Hoo grabbed her around the waist before she could get very far. He pulled her back against him and attempted to gently wrestle the hose out of her hands. Jan Di was like a force of nature, though, so that was no easy task. He didn't want to hurt her, so he let go and dropped the hose that he'd managed to take away from her.

She put some distance between them and looked his way.

Holding up his hands, Ji Hoo asked, "Truce, okay?"

twisted skeptically, but then she nodded, and he approached her.

Standing before her, Ji Hoo took a good look at her and then glanced down at himself. There was no denying what he could feel and see...somehow, they had managed to soak each other during this little game.

Both panting faintly, Ji Hoo stared down into Jan Di's darkened eyes. "I'm...I'm sorry," he said.

"It's okay," she replied. And he studied her expression. She no longer had that mix of determination, pride, and defiance on her face but now looked more like a shrinking violet. It was so interesting to him how she could go from one extreme to the other in seconds…

Ji Hoo tenderly brushed a few damp strands of hair away from her face, causing Jan Di to flush. "I'm sorry," he repeated. "I admit, that got a little out of hand. I didn't mean to get you so wet."

"Yeah, well you're wetter!" she retorted.

There was the Geum Jan Di he knew.

He chuckled, feeling the water droplets trickling down his bangs and neck. "Yes, you got me good," and he gently placed his hands on her arms. She didn't stop him, and he felt her shiver a bit. "You must be cold…," he rubbed her arms, "I have... "

But before he could finish, Jung Woo interrupted, "Chief! What happened?" he shouted. This caused Ji Hoo to drop his hands, and he turned to look at the man approaching him.

For Jan Di's part, she glanced down sheepishly at her feet, feeling embarrassed at being caught in such a silly scenario as an adult.

Jung Woo stood before them. Instinctively, Ji Hoo positioned himself in front of Jan Di. But it wasn't pure instinct; he had a reason. And the reason for this was that she was so damp that her shirt was clinging to her a bit, and he didn't want her exposed to Jung Woo, or anyone else, for that matter...

"Um, well…," Ji Hoo rubbed the back of his neck. "Just a little mishap washing the truck."

"Mishap? Poor Captain Geum is soaked through! How could you do that to her, Chief?"

Jung Woo didn't sound mad exactly, but he definitely wasn't amused. Ji Hoo had no reason to feel guilty or explain himself, though. He'd done nothing wrong. The fire chief pressed his lips together and remained in front of Jan Di. "Why don't you go check the equipment for me, Jung Woo? Don't worry; I'll take care of her."

Jung Woo was clearly not happy about this, but he only nodded and turned to walk away.

It was only then that Jan Di realized she'd chosen to wear a pale peach colored shirt that day, and when she glanced down, she noticed that her bra was showing through. Oh no! She gasped and placed her hands over her chest.

Ji Hoo glanced back at her out of the corner of his eye. He felt bad. He'd noticed her state but didn't want to embarrass her, so he'd simply tried not to look, and when he was about to suggest giving her something to change into, Jung Woo had come along.

"Don't worry, I have a shirt you can wear," Ji Hoo whispered, and placing a friendly arm around her shoulders, he led her off toward the firehouse while she shielded her chest.


Ji Hoo found a t-shirt of his and brought it to Jan Di. "It's mine, so it'll be big, but hopefully, it will get you by for now." Then he showed her to a bathroom where she could change and promised no one would bother her.

Once in private, Jan Di took off the wet shirt and slipped into Ji Hoo's. As she did, she was immediately surrounded by a clean, fresh scent as well as something else, and she knew right away what it was. It was his scent. She wasn't sure what was behind this strange phenomenon, but you could always catch the faintest lingering scent of that person on their clothing. It seemed like no matter how many times you wash something, it always remained, as if that person's essence lived there. But that wasn't necessarily a bad thing, and certainly, not in this case. Chief Yoon Ji Hoo's natural scent was very nice. It was light and manly, and when she put on his shirt, she felt so warm and cozy, like he was giving her a hug…

She felt so stupid thinking about it that way! Geum Jan Di, what is wrong with you?

But she wasn't a naive kid... She knew exactly what was wrong with her; she just wasn't quite ready to admit it to herself, or to him, yet.


While she changed, Ji Hoo also went to get out of his wet clothes. He changed out of the work pants, suspenders, and navy t-shirt and put on his white double-pocketed dress shirt, the shirt of Chief, which now held up his badge, and then he slipped into a pair of dark navy pants. After tucking in the shirt, zipping up, and fastening his belt, he went to check on Jan Di.

He gave a knock and waited patiently.

When Jan Di came out of the bathroom, Ji Hoo's breath hitched... She was dressed in his navy blue t-shirt with their fire emblem on the left , and because of the length of the shirt, her shorts were no longer visible, so it appeared as though she was wearing nothing else. He forced himself not to focus on this or stare at her long, slender legs, and he refused to even think the kinds of things he could be thinking right now… Instead, he simply asked, "Is it alright?"

"Mm," she nodded. "Does it look okay?"

More than okay…

"Yes," he said.

As if she didn't believe him, she looked down at her ensemble and began fidgeting with the hem of the shirt. "It's too long, isn't it? Maybe I should tuck it in." She looked up for verification from him. He nodded, and she began tucking in the shirt. Ji Hoo turned around to give her some privacy.

"Okay, you can look," she said.

When he turned around, the shirt was tucked in, puckering slightly out of the pair of soft, white high-waisted shorts that reached her mid-thigh.

"I don't look weird, do I?"

"Not at all," he said.

And Jan Di smiled. "Thank you."

She appreciated his kindness, and she also wanted to tell him that he looked handsome in his uniform. But before she could, he offered her a tour of the interior of the station.

She accepted, and he showed her the administrative area and his office, the training and weight rooms, the kitchen, and then he moved on to the dorm rooms with the bunks where the firefighters slept. "It's a little messy right now, so I apologize," he told her.

    

But Jan Di didn't think it was very messy at all. The beds were all made, and the room looked tidy enough. There were only a couple of items scattered on the beds and desk. He then led her through a doorway. "And this is my room."

The private, adjacent room with the single immaculately made queen-sized bed was even tidier than the shared bedroom.

"This is where I was when we had those two phone conversations," he informed.

"I see," she said. And Jan Di smiled at the memories of their pleasant conversations. She hoped there would be many more of those to come...

Stuffing his hands into his pockets, Ji Hoo exhaled and shifted a bit. "I know it doesn't look like much, but it's comfortable."

Suddenly, inexplicably, Jan Di felt a bit uncomfortable being in his bedroom with him, which was silly because not only was she a grown woman, but she had been in his other bedroom before, at his home. So, why was it that she felt like a young girl sneaking into her boyfriend's room at night. She must still be unnerved by that crazy dream... That must have been why, seconds later, she blurted out a stupid question. "So, you have this room all to yourself?" she asked.

He looked at her, and she felt herself blushing under his gaze. So, she turned her face away, hoping he didn't think her forward or that she was suggesting anything…

For some reason, Ji Hoo seemed a little bit nervous, too. "Yes. Being the chief has some perks," he simply replied, and there was a momentary silence.

Finally, Ji Hoo cleared his throat to diffuse the tension and said, "Well then, let me show you the rest of the station."

She gladly agreed, and he led her out of the dorm.


When Ji Hoo and Jan Di returned to the day room most of the firefighters were gathered there. One asked suggestively where they'd been for so long, and Ji Hoo caught a few of them staring at Jan Di's attire; he motioned for them to cut it out. And then a few wolf whistles resounded. Ji Hoo was about to severely chastise them for that, but they just started complimenting him. He was thankful they were leaving Jan Di be, so he let them get it out of their systems.

"Your dress clothes?!" Jung Woo questioned.

"Yeah, where ya going, Chief?" Sung-Jin added.

"Looking good, Chief!" Do-Yun chimed in.

Jan Di started to silently laugh.

"Yeah, Y!" Yeong-Ho interjected.

That did it. He'd had enough; no more free shots.

"That's enough out of all of you," Ji Hoo cut them off. They were getting far too much pleasure out of all of this. "This is not a y shirt. I wear this shirt for meetings, trainings, and funerals."

The last word shut everyone up immediately. "Besides, this was all I had," And it was since he'd given his last clean t-shirt to Jan Di, "because someone forgot to do the laundry." He pointed out that it was Do-Yun who had been responsible for that chore this week. Do-Yun cast a shameful look at the ground. "I'm sorry," his head snapped up to look at Ji Hoo, "I'll get right on it, Chief!"

"No, it's fine. It can wait until later," Ji Hoo said. "We have a guest right now. But honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do with you guys sometimes."

The chief's words seemed to turn them all into little boys who had just disappointed their father, and there were a few moments of awkward silence before Jae Hyun appeared in the room. "Dinner is served!" he called out.

That got the guys all riled up again, but Ji Hoo knew they would soon quiet down, once there was food in front of them. After all, there were two things that shut up a man best...and one of them was food.

***To Be Continued***


SPOILERS, SO LOOK AWAY IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM!

What is to come ("Chemistry Part II" and "Heat" (two-parter))... Jan Di spends the rest of the evening with the firefighters; they finally name the dog, and Jan Di demonstrates her card playing skills. JanHoo shares a few private 'moments.' Ji Hoo gets a surprise visitor. The firefighters, EMTs, and police force (yep, new characters!) participate in a mandatory multi-district training. Jealousy abounds, and things get competitive during a sporting event. Fear forces Jan Di to confront her true feelings, and things start to heat up between JanHoo… How will that play out? And Ji Hoo visits the charred remains of his childhood home...

Wow, lots of spoilers, right?!