2. S E C O N D

Lost & Found

SATURDAY

The first night Mongryong and Vivi spend in my place, I have to carry them up to my bed because they had been so apprehensive about climbing up the bed. Actually, Vivi seemed fine with it but Mongryong had been the one pacing restlessly. They sleep on top of my blanket, the both of them curling up together, cuddling to sleep.

 

SUNDAY

I wake up to Vivi walking all over my body like he is trying to trample me in my sleep. He doesn’t use much strength though, making it feel like he is kneading me. I am lazy as I simply lie, letting him walk on my stomach, my hand absentmindedly his head. My eyes are still shut as I hear him breathing rather loudly, his front paws stationary on my chest. I scratch him behind the ear, making him purr with delight. In an instant, he immediately melts into me, making himself comfortable on my chest as he purrs loudly, enjoying my scratches.

I have my eyes closed until the moment I have something sniffing in my face, a wet snout gliding on my cheek. I snap my eyes open and stare in shock at Mongryong, who has been loudly sniffing me. I flicker my eyes down to Vivi. He is laid regally on my chest, eyes crinkled in pleasure as I scratch him behind his ear. I dart my gaze back at Mongryong, who is now smelling my mouth like I am hiding food from him in there.

I purse my lips and groan, pushing him gently away though I am quite annoyed by his disturbance to my peaceful Sunday morning. He must have realised that though, because instead of being a relentless little thing dogs always are, Mongryong simply blows air out his nose and turns away, walking to the edge of the bed and sits there, waiting for some miracle to get him down. I am too comfortable in this position, especially with Vivi curled up on my chest, to move so I simply watch the dog until he gets tired and simply lies down on his belly, still facing the foot of the bed.

If I hadn’t known, I would have imagined that Mongryong is an actual human being capable of being mad and making it known by giving me the cold shoulder.


 

MONDAY

I groan when my alarm rings, waking me up for uni today. I hear a low hiss from the cat snuggling by my side. Grabbing my phone, I crack an eye open to stop the alarm before throwing it back onto the bed, just staring up at the ceiling.

I must have been staring at nothing, thinking about nothing, for nearly two minutes when I suddenly have whiskers tickling my face. I blink and now Vivi is in front of my face, my cheek with his nose. I moan tiredly, lifting my hands to wrap them around the body of the cat. He meows when I swoop him to my chest, hugging him like a soft toy. Rubbing my cheek on his soft fur, I roll over, cradling him in my arms. He purrs and meows loudly, obviously very happy to be receiving so much affection.

Lifting my head, I stare down at the cat that is now lying on his side, staring back at me unblinkingly. He meows and lifts his paws, swiping his soft pads on my cheeks almost lovingly. I crack a grin and lean in to peck him on the nose.

“You’re so cute, Vivi,” I coo, rubbing my nose in his cheek before pushing myself up, groaning. I sigh loudly. “Time to get ready for uni,” I announce to myself sullenly.

I get out of bed, Vivi jumping down to the ground to trail behind me as well. I pass Mongryong, who had been sleeping on the floor, still mad at me because of what I did yesterday. Vivi stalks me into the bathroom, standing by the opened door as I sit on the toilet bowl to do my business. Mongryong follows his feline companion and now, I have both my pets in the bathroom with me. I don’t feel awkward about it, not just because they are only animals, but also because Vivi is now rubbing his head on Mongryong’s neck, missing the affection from the dog since he had spent the night on my bed with me.

While the both of them continue to groom and snuggle each other, I go through my morning routine, occasionally watching them through the mirror. When I am done and all ready to leave, I squat down at Mongryong’s dog bed where Vivi is curled up together with the dog. I his cheek, making him shut his eyes in bliss.

“See you in the evening,” I murmur, my morning voice low.

He meows in response, making me smile. I turn to Mongryong, who is simply sleeping with his head resting on the edge of the dog bed, very effectively ignoring me. This dog really knows how to bear a grudge, I think to myself, chuckling quietly.

“Bye, Mongryongie,” I coo softly, massaging the dog’s head with the tip of my fingers.

I stand, grab my bag, and leave the room to get out of the house. I get to uni and spend my entire day there, only going home after my last class, which ends at six. I drive back with a couple of lectures to run through. The moment I reach home, however, thoughts of getting some revision done flies out of my head when I see Vivi and Mongryong play fighting in front of the door. They stop so suddenly when the door opens though; Vivi’s paws in mid-air as they reach out to prod Mongryong’s face above him while the dog hovers over the feline, teeth bared to nibble on him.

Mongryong immediately steps back and Vivi flips upright to stand. They both stalk towards me, as though they had decided to fill in their time with play fighting while waiting for me to get home. Despite the thought of them being very queer animals creeping at the back of my mind like a shadow, I am filled with newfound affection for the two of them. They’re too cute.

 

TUESDAY

Mongryong waits patiently while I tie up the plastic bag that contains his poo. He must have already forgiven me for pushing him away on Sunday because he is now listening well to me, as well as showing me affection that he starved me from the past few days.

While on the way back to the apartment building, Mongryong and I bump into someone familiar just outside the building. Minseok has just finished his evening run around the neighbourhood as he walks back, his body glistening with sweat, his tank top slightly sticking to his pecs. My heart starts to pound at the very sight of him. And as if Mongryong senses it, he starts to fidget and bark, uncomfortable with the change in my aura.

Minseok spots me when he glances up from his phone. He grins and takes out the ear buds from his ears, now walking straight towards me. I stop in my tracks though Mongryong seems very keen to keep going. He is tugging and struggling against the leash, trying to pull me back towards our home. But I stand my ground, just waiting for my handsome neighbour to meet me.

“Brought your dog out for a walk?” Minseok asks, glancing down at the uneasy Corgi when he reaches me. I bob my head, always struck dumb whenever in the presence of the man. He smiles at me. “I just got back from my run and I’m starving. Have you had dinner?” I shake my head, my heart now pounding a tattoo against my ribcage. “Would you like to have dinner together? I’ll buy.”

“Okay,” I squeak.

Minseok’s grin widens and his eyes sparkle. “Awesome. Come on, then. I’ll walk you back to your place and I’ll call for delivery at my place.”

I let him bring me back, feeling so shy to be in his presence. He doesn’t seem to mind it though. I sometimes wonder if he actually likes my quietness and submissive character, considering how well he takes care of me, like he treats it as an important job to him to keep me safe.

When I get home, I make sure that Mongryong is watered after his walk. And though I try to wipe his feet from walking around outside, he doesn’t stay still and let me do it. It is as if he is throwing a fit. I have no idea what is up with him but I don’t get to dwell on it any longer because Minseok rings the doorbell about half an hour later, letting me know that food is on the way and if I would like, I could go over right now.

I glance at Mongryong, who is sitting with his back to me, obviously mad at me. Again. Vivi is sitting next to him, watching his canine companion intently. I sigh and agree to go over to Minseok’s, not quite knowing what to do with two pets that are sort of ignoring me. So I follow him to his apartment, sitting with him on the couch while we wait for the delivery of our food to come.

I expected our night to end after having dinner. But it turns out that that very night, I don’t return back home.

 

WEDNESDAY

My hair is in a mess and I positively smell like Minseok, having been wrapped in his arms the entire of last night. I rush back to my apartment in the morning, not noticing the revolting and judgmental looks on Vivi and Mongryong’s faces, probably having smelled the pheromones from last night lingering around me, as well as the scent of another man on my body.

I bustle around the house to get ready for uni, having getting up late this morning because of Minseok making out with me the moment I was awake. I knew what I was getting myself into, but I did not have the will in me at that time to stop him from kissing me. I thought I would just have to deal with the consequence of being late. So I rush and manage to get ready to leave for uni in a speed record of half an hour. I even manage to fill Vivi’s and Mongryong’s food bowls. I say a hasty goodbye to the both of them before running out of the apartment, making my way to class.

It is only when I get home after my longest day of the week that I finally notice the cold shoulders Vivi and Mongryong are giving me. I had been looking forward to cuddling with them since the second hour in uni, feeling so tired and out of it that all I want to do is stay home and snuggle up with my pets.

But Mongryong has gone back to ignoring me, getting up and leaving when I’m around, looking away when I look at him. Even Vivi is doing the same thing, just as a cat. He doesn’t rub himself against my legs. He simply sits curled up on the top of the couch, glaring at me with his cold, blue eyes. Every time I try to get close to him to touch him, he hisses and stands immediately, walking away from me.

That night becomes the most confusing night for me, knowing the two animals living with me are blatantly mad at me for something I don’t even know about.

 

THURSDAY

The silent treatment — if animals do that — given to me by Mongryong and Vivi has not yet abated no matter how hard I try to reconnect with them. I am starting to think they’re very stubborn animals.

 

FRIDAY

They’re still mad at me. And it is starting to annoy me, so much so that I am in turn getting mad at them too.

 

SATURDAY

It has been a week with Vivi and Mongryong. They had been nice pets to have, until the last few days. I have no idea what has gotten into them because they don’t want to cuddle, and neither do they want to look at me. It is just as frustrating as it is annoying. The treatment they are giving me makes me wish for talking pets, or at least, the ability to mind read.

I snuggle up under my covers, feeling a little sick because of the flu epidemic going around these few days. I am sure that I would get a full bout of cold by tomorrow. I already have a sore throat and my nose is constantly runny. Laying in bed, I find myself drifting in and out of sleep, only twice getting out of bed — once to use the bathroom and get water, the other to feed Vivi and Mongryong. It is only in the evening when I leave my bed to bring Mongryong out for his evening walk and then to take a shower and eat my first meal of the day.

I don’t notice Mongryong’s thoughtfulness in doing his business quickly. And even when we get home, I barely notice him staying still for me to wipe his paws. I praise him distractedly though, sounding so croaky that even I cringe at myself. Making a promise to go to the doctor if this does get worse by tomorrow, I spend the rest of the night snuggling under my blanket.

 

SUNDAY

In the middle of the night, I had to stuff tissue up my runny nose. By morning, I have a small pile of used tissue on the side of my bed. I am awoken by my own sneeze, too.

It takes me a while to get used to the light in my room. I am still blankly staring at nothing when a warm, moist velvety something touches my jawline. I frown and look to the side and see Vivi staring down at me, his sky blue eyes so light and piercing. His pupils are dilated, unlike the previous days where they’re constantly constricted to let me know he was mad at me. He keeps me with his small tongue, almost like he is grooming my sickly state.

Smiling at his thoughtfulness, I lift my hand to his head. At once, as though he had been missing my touch, he sits on his hind legs and closes his eyes, purring loudly as I him. He even tilts his head, his ear twitching downwards for my palm to make more contact with his fur. I frown when I hear a sudden bark from the ground. I look to the side, peering down the edge of the bed to see Mongryong staring up at me, his little shaking as he wags his tiny tail.

“Wanna come up?” I ask, cringing when my sore throat starts hurting even more. My voice sounds muffled and stuffy.

I groan and huff as I move to carry Mongryong up onto the bed. As if such work is strenuous for me, I immediately fall back onto my pillow, panting slightly. Vivi’s front paws are on my shoulder as he hovers of me, sniffing my face. I his back absentmindedly until he settles down, curled up in the crook of my armpit, his head resting on my shoulder. Mongryong, on the other hand, is pressing his snout into my neck as if to feel my temperature, or something. I am too weak and lazy to push away.

When he pulls back though, he starts to whine, begging me for something. I turn to look at him. Thinking he is simply envious of Vivi, I ruffle the top of his head. He stops whining and lifts his head a little with his eyes closed, enjoying the affection. I smile.

“I thought you guys were mad at me,” I mumble, my voice barely audible from how sick I am.

Mongryong and Vivi simply stay there with their eyes closed, enjoying my touch. When I get tired of them though, they simply snuggle up to me; Mongryong with his head on my chest, his body by the side of mine, while Vivi stays in the same spot under my armpit. Enjoying their warmth and comfort, I drift back to sleep again.

The next time I wake up that day, Mongryong and Vivi are curled up together on the bed by my stomach. I am curled up in a ball as well so that my pets and I simply look like we’re in a big snuggling contest. I don’t want to leave the formation but I have to feed them even though they’re here with me. So I get up and fill their food bowls before I return to bed again, cuddling with them, scooping them closer to me with my arms around them. I stay awake for the next hour, just comforting myself by snuggling with my pets.

Around three in the afternoon, the two of them get down the bed to eat, but not before judging me to make me go with them. I end up eating something light as I sit at the dining table, watching them eat. Then I look for some leftover medication that might help my sickness. I find some flu medicine, as well as an anti-inflammation one. I take them both and return to my room, lying on my bed with my head propped up as I use my phone. Mongryong and Vivi enter the room a while later, having finished eating. I carry Mongryong up onto my lap while Vivi simply leaps up onto the mattress. For the rest of the afternoon, we stay in that position with Mongryong and Vivi snuggled up on my lap, my fingers playing with the dog’s long fur absentmindedly as I watch some shows on my phone.

At six in the evening, I bring Mongryong out for his walk. I realise that he is quick in doing his business and almost at once after he is done, pulls me back towards the direction of our apartment building. It is as if he knows that I should rest more. Though I have already gotten used to the strange likeness with humans my pets take on, it sometimes still unnerves me when they do things like these that are so obviously un-animallike. But it is also times like these that makes my heart rest well, knowing that they understand me.





 

A month later, I find myself staying home more often, more interested in keeping Vivi and Mongryong company than being out with my friends. After the weeks of bonding, Vivi and Mongryong no longer cuddle together whenever I’m around. Instead, the both of them look for me so that we could snuggle up together. It doesn’t matter whether I am studying on the floor of the living room, or just lying in bed reading a novel. Honestly, I am not complaining either. It is nice to have their company, even if they’re only animals.

I also find that on the days I visit the shelter, Vivi and Mongryong are more snuggly with me, as if trying to get rid of the scent of the other animals with their own. It is quite cute seeing how possessive they can get with their owner. I actually enjoy those days the most.

I am also starting to see a pattern about a month and a half into having the two animals around. Whenever I meet Minseok downstairs during my walk with Mongryong, the dog would be barking and acting really hostile with the man. He would pull me back to the building as soon as possible too. And if I ever spent a night with my neighbour, neither of my pets would give me any mind, acting as though I am transparent, until I goad them into being friends with me again with some treats. Ever since then, I don’t spend the night over at Minseok’s. Though I realise that animals can actually smell pheromones, which is probably why sometimes Vivi and Mongryong ignore me when I get back home after having with my neighbour. If I hadn’t known, I would have thought that they were jealous and mad at me for being with a man.

By the second month, Vivi and Mongryong practically begs me not to leave the house every morning when I have to go to uni. And when I get home, I am greeted with excited barks and very excessive skinship from Vivi especially. And it is also during the second month that I got them both pretty collars. Vivi’s is a thin one with several thick strings, black and red. There is a circle pendant that bears his name and a sapphire crystal that matches his striking blue eyes. Mongryong, on the other hand, has a thicker one since it has to be able to attach a leash on it. It is black and the width is about 2cm thick. It has a short, straight barbell going through the length of the collar. In the middle of the metal bar, a circle pendant with his name and a diamond crystal hangs on it.

They wear them proudly and I cannot help but think they look extremely handsome with them. My phone and computer are now full of their pictures, most of them taken by me while a few are them accidentally stepping on the Enter button on my laptop, hence taking their candid pictures. My wallpapers are also of them, which also turns out to be a great conversation starter among my classmates whenever they see me unlock my phone.

The third month onwards, though I don’t find out more things about them, my love and affection do not dwindle or dissipate. In fact, they seem to get more and more lovable as time passes.





 

Time passes really fast though. Because in a blink of an eye, six months have already gone by since I adopted Vivi and Mongryong. While the months prior to the sixth had been peaceful, I am starting to find strange occurrences around the house.

I have found short black hair on my bed and the toilet, which, of course, could have been from my own hair… Though I don’t have bangs… And my hair flows down past my shoulders… But still, it could have been mine. Even the silver grey hair… Maybe I am starting to sprout white hair…

I have also found my milk carton emptying faster than usual. But of course, it would also have been my absentmindedness. I could have drank more than I thought I did while I wasn’t paying attention. That could happen to some people. Even the slowly depleting biscuits, or bread, or cereal… I might have worked up a bigger appetite without my knowing.

Apart from that, I have also received weird letters and notes in my mailbox from time to time. They’re not actually weird, per se, because they are actually useful. Especially in times of forgetfulness or desperation. For example, when I had thought I had lost my debit card, I received a written note in my mailbox, reading:

Sometimes, the things we need may be found in the most unexpected places. Like bank cards in the pantry because someone dumped all their snacks out of the plastic bag and into the cupboard.

I had been freaked out, of course. Especially when I actually found my card in the pantry. I had forgotten that I dropped my bank card into the bag after shopping. Vivi and Mongryong heard me fretting and panicking over a stalker. I worried over it for a few days but when no other messages came for me, I lied to myself that maybe it was just a coincidence. But a few weeks later, when I was having near anxiety attacks every night during my exam period, I had another note with two different kinds of handwriting, as if two people had written on it.

Breathe.

Enjoy the little things first.

And with the note came my favourite flavour of Pepero, and a vitamin drink. This time, though I had been equally unnerved by the note, I had been very touched by their thoughtfulness. (I had their note pinned up on my wall, and I had undeniably felt more energised after eating their gifts.)

The notes came in at very random intervals so I didn’t know their pattern. But I was starting to realise that they were of good intention and nothing else. They came in encouraging words, sometimes advice. I appreciated them, so much so that I had to put them up on my wall to motivate me during tough times.

With the growing anticipation of these messages though, I have totally neglected the new findings at home. Like the TV being left on a sports channel when I turn it on, or my bed being messily made when I get home like someone just couldn’t stand the sight of my unmade bed but also didn’t want me to realise that it had been packed. I also don’t realise the growing affection Vivi and Mongryong give me, always waiting up for me before going to bed, even my cheek before sleeping, almost like a good night’s kiss. I also don’t spend as much time with Minseok anymore, not when I have my thoughts on the mysterious people who have been sending me cute notes and gifts. (I say people because it has gotten very obvious that there are two people sharing the pieces of notes, like they have decided to split the paper into half so each of them could have a section to themselves.)

It is only when I catch someone other than the postman dropping a letter into my mailbox one day that my vision finally clears. It doesn’t feel like I am living in that fairytale story that consists of prince charmings leaving me secret love letters. It is now real and happening in real life.

My three-hour practical class that day has been cancelled and I decide to go home instead of hanging around the campus. Just as I enter the lobby of my building though, I notice a man slipping a note into my mailbox, along with a bar of chocolate. With wide eyes, I flicker my gaze up to take a look at his side profile, my heart thumping loudly in my ears.

He has soft features; his eyes drooping slightly at the ends, his nose straight and sharp but rounded at the tip, his jawline sharp. I notice a black choker around his neck as well. It doesn’t really go well with his white shirt and black joggers, but it doesn’t thwart the fact that he is good-looking.

I fasten my steps though my heart is pounding against my ribcage when I see that the lift has arrived, letting the man enter the box. Zooming past the mailbox, for the first time missing the inspection of my mails, I head straight towards the lift that is already slowly shutting. Pressing fervently on the up button, the doors slide open again. I am staring at the man in the elevator, who looks up in confusion.

My stomach clenches for some reason though I have never seen this man before. But his brown eyes seem so familiar despite the shock and recognition that swim in them. His thin lips part, almost like he is letting out an inaudible gasp. I give him an awkward smile as I step into the elevator, about to press for my floor when I notice that he is going up to the same level. I glance at him and notice him looking away quickly. He clears his throat as the doors slide close.

I want to ask him if he had just moved in because I know all my neighbours and I should know if he’s new. And the more pressing question of if he had been the one sending me those messages the past instances. But I can’t seem to get anything out of my mouth. The air around us is awkward. It buzzes with some sort of energy. I wonder if he feels it too.

It is a relief when we reach our floor. I wait for him to get out first. But he is a gentleman who dips his head, letting his black hair shield his soft brown eyes. I murmur a Thanks and leave the stuffy box, feeling quite liberated, though not by much. I manage to walk several steps ahead before turning my head to glance at the guy, who is watching me, his hands in his pockets. He looks surprised by my sudden stare, his eyes rounding slightly at having caught staring. I blush slightly.

Turning back around, I quicken my steps, deciding that maybe I could just ask him again the next time I meet him, if he is new, and if he had been the one slipping all those sweet messages into my mailbox. I get to my apartment and key in the code quickly, feeling his eyes on me still. The moment I push open the door, however, my already thumping heart gives a huge jump when a man with strong, fierce features appears from behind it, eating an apple.

“I feel like we should have—”

He stops mid-sentence, his striking blue eyes wide with anxiety, just like how the guy in the lift had done when he saw me. My gaze darts down to his choker, noticing a very familiar pendant swinging lightly on it. My stomach drops and it feels like I have swallowed a huge stone. I whip my head around, hoping against all odds that the mysterious man from the lift had already entered his apartment.

But of course, where else would I find him but behind me, like he is following me back into my place. I turn back to glare at the man with the apple, who swallows so hard that his Adam’s apple bobs visibly in his throat. I notice he and the man standing behind me sharing a look, the both of them with a sort of grimace on their faces, obviously not expecting such a situation to happen so unpredictably.

 

 


Author's note:

ok yes, i am definitely more satisfied with this version though it is a lot shorter than before. I prefer the build up here, and the more... realistic revelation of the situation though i know nothing about this au is realistic. I enjoyed writing this chapter, it was so fun! And Vivi and Mongryong are adorable! And the notes!!! So sweet! (LOL look at me fangirling over my own characters again... stupid)

Anyways, Idk when I'll update again but this isn't one of my main fics anyway, so I'm not focusing on it much. So I hope you guys will understand if I don't update this as much. Also, I am not sure how many chapters I might make this. But it will be a short story, so I am anticipating maybe 10? Or 12, at the very most. 

See you guys next chapter!

xoxo