final

one ordinary night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note : sorry for taking a lot of time to read this story. I hope you will leave some comment about this story. Thank you so much

It was like another day. The usual day. Very ordinary. He stepped out of his apartment. He looked up at the sky. He paused. Again, the sky looked cloudy like yesterday. Much more overcast than usual. Might be it just following his feelings. His feelings were much worse than last day. 

 

He stepped on his foot, wherever his heart was heading. He did not know where he's going, so he just followed what he wanted. At least that's better. Better than stayed at home and bemoaned over something. He was not stupid. Therefore, it is better to get out of the resting place and enjoy the strangeness of the outside world. 

 

People walked past him at a fast pace. They looked busy. Busy with their business. Busy with their thoughts. Busy with whatever they were dealing with. And Jeonghan had noticed them since a year and a half ago. That was not his job. It was only a dream to be just like them. He wanted a busy day. Very. But the dream was slowly destroyed when what he hoped was like unattainable. While the people around him were slowly getting the activity they wanted. No, this was not the activity they wanted. But this was the busyness they had to live, to support themselves, to make a living. 

 

While Jeonghan…. he was totally a jobless - no, he named himself jobless but his family called it as a job seeker. Well, from his opinion, he was no longer a job seeker. From the point where he was too excited to join an expo, then he enjoyed with his friend to tag him along to wherever any job expo was held. He was happy to find a job that matched to his qualities. But there was a bad news. No one wanted him. He was not far from the company's criteria needed. However, he exceeded what the company wanted. 

 

And there began, all the luck in the work found no way.

 

He was pretty fed up with all the shipping documents and CV. He was also run out of cash. So instead of spending all his cash on shipping, better to feed himself through foods. At least, food could cure his bad mood for a couple of moment. 

 

The vibrations from his cell phone startled him. He fished out his phone from his pocket. 

 

“Jeonghan-ah, when you’re free, please come to Quartz Cafe at 6 PM.” 

 

He let out a sigh. He had exerted to dodge much time when his friend tried to do a reunion or a small talk as if it was a quality time for them. Not because of a major reason, but he was not quite confident. There was something he could not tell it fluently to anyone else. About what thing gnawed at him. 

 

He slipped his phone back as he kept shoving his hand warm beneath the coat. 

 

He drifted his foot to the coffee shop which positioned at the corner of the street. He slowly made an entrance and looked around to see an empty seat. Well, only one left. Now he had to face to people outside while sipping his chocolate. He sighed. 

It had been two hours and one serving of cold grande size drink. He did not move from his chair. He still stared blankly at the people who were milling outside the cafe. Some of them looked happy. Even laughing off while staring at their partner. Jeonghan did not react to such a scene. One side in the deepest in his heart, he missed it. He missed where he could laugh without thinking about the lives and concerns. Where he just enjoyed day after day without any anxiety. All he needed at that time was just someone who could make him forget his insecurities. There was only one person for him. 

 

He pursed his lips, sipping on his drink. The last sip then he rose up, dragged his foot to walk out of the cafe. It was an hour from the meeting with his friend. He was still unsure about it, whether he shall go or not. He preferred to be at home alone, cuddling with his pillow underneath his thick blanket, also not forgetting to turn on the instrument for him. However,  he could not do it. He could not shun his friend any longer. He needed to have some small talk too. 

 

Suddenly, a pair of arm startled him. “You’re here…” Someone whispered near his ear softly as that person landed his chin upon Jeonghan’s shoulder. 

 

“Shua?” 

 

He nodded. “Yes, I am.” 

 

“Why you’re here?” He seemed shocked at his appearance. It was a bit surprise for his gloomy day. A bulb of happiness and relief for his blue day. 

 

“So goes to you, why you’re here?” In that second Joshua pushed him slightly to continue on the walk as he kept hugging the latter from behind. 

 

“I have enjoyed my drink then…” 

 

“Have an urgent meeting?” That question. He wished he had an urgent meeting to attend today. But here the reality, the offer which was from his friend seemed non-urgent at all, also he had no schedule that rushing himself. 

 

He remained silent, not willing to give a clear answer. 

 

“Jeonghan?” 

 

The latter hummed. 

 

“Do you have a crucial meeting?” 

 

Jeonghan shrugged his shoulder, darted his eyes to look somewhere. “I don’t know how to call it, but the friend calls me to meet at 6 PM.” 

 

Joshua halted for a moment, checked his watch. “You need 45 minutes, where? I will walk you there.” He grinned. 

 

Jeonghan shook his head. “No need, you can go home or any meeting, don’t mind me,” he commented. Joshua instantly patted his head gently and kept on smiling. 

 

“Well, I care about you, so tell me where,” he demanded, sternly. 

 

“Quartz Cafe.” 

 

The smile he wore, it got bigger and wider than a second before. Joshua pulled Jeonghan then, held him by his wrist and pulled him closer to him. As they walked, no one seemed to care enough to steal a glimpse at them. As if no one was bothered to see them in public. It was like the other ordinary couple who took a walk together after the work hours ended. Even more for Jeonghan, he did not seem burdened to get hold by Joshua publicly. He even did not seem nervous to head to the cafe. Perhaps it was because of Joshua’s little company. 

 

Perhaps he needed it a lot. 

 

Once they arrived and settled down to find Jeonghan’s friend, Joshua shoved him to gather with his friend, while he would find another seat. As for Jeonghan’s pleasure, Joshua took a few table across him. Watching him not far from his circle, Joshua kept his eyes upon him. Jeonghan took the last glance over him before putting his attention to his friend. 

 

Jeonghan made an effort of his best to find a way to their conversation. Once in a while, he caught himself to be quiet. Or, perhaps he tended to be quiet as usual. He shut his lips tight as he ogled his surrounding. He did not want to jump into the conversation anymore. When he was about to get up from his seat, he was welcomed by a waiter who brought him a drink. He looked up as he was surprised. So were his friends. 

 

He did not order any drink. He caught Joshua smiling widely to him. “Drink it, I’ve paid for it,” Joshua told him through a message. 

 

“Do you order that drink?” One of his friends asked. Jeonghan merely looked at them innocently. “It’s quite expensive here, well — you’re still rich as ever,” the other commented. 

 

He shrugged, sipping down on his drink as he felt thirsty. The friends went back to their chat, leaving Jeonghan to preoccupy with his drink. 

 

He let another sigh, darting his eyes away from his friend to Joshua. The latter seemed busy and typing down on his phone. Jeonghan smiled unconsciously as he kept ogling at him. 

 

Joshua made a sudden look, finding themselves to lock in a stare. He smiled, then finished his matter before he rose. He walked approaching him, also harrumphed. Those pair of eyes turned to look at a stranger and be confused. 

 

“May I take a friend of yours?” 

 

The groups exchanged a glance, but Joshua simply offered his hand to Jeonghan. “Come?” 

 

The latter got up, without a doubt, took his hand and followed Joshua’s guide. As they stepped out, Jeonghan muttered, “thanks.” 

 

Joshua beamed. “No problem, you looked uneasy there besides your friends had no etiquette.” 

 

“Not me? With my clothes and…” 

 

“So many businessmen who walk with short pants and the polo shirt to eat in that kind of cafe. Well, if you know the secret, they only serve a customer with good etiquette, sometimes they give a discount for them.” 

 

Jeonghan turned to look at him, being shocked at hearing the information. It was like new for his ear. 

 

“Really?” 

 

Joshua nodded. “That’s why I like that cafe.” 

 

Jeonghan hummed. His mind baffled with Joshua’s action. He knew he shall not get him wrong, but he was curious. 

 

“Why you did that?” He sent the question abruptly. Joshua chuckled. 

 

“I do care.” 

 

“Not that..”

 

“I know. You looked so uncomfortable with them. I guess a drink will help to relieve your nerve but no.” 

 

“It helped, a lot than I thought. Thank you.” 

 

Joshua nodded, drawing his hand to interdigitate with Jeonghan, “you’re welcome,” he retorted, “did they say something which made you quiet?” 

 

Jeonghan remained silent. It was better to conceal what had upset him. 

 

“Jeonghan?” 

 

“It’s not good to tell, please change the subject if you don’t mind.” Joshua bobbed his head, shifted his thumb to caress the knuckles softly, too soft to soothe his mood down. As smooth as to make him storming off his emotion, but Jeonghan composed himself well. After that, they walked heading back to Jeonghan’s apartment in comforting silence. 

They both had sat down under the same ceiling. Jeonghan had served him a tea since he had run out of cola and he did not want to supply him a glass of caffeine. They had been sitting in silence for long. Joshua kept his eyes tossing to examining the room and glimpsing at Jeonghan. Meanwhile, the latter looked at the floor and fidgeted his finger nervously. 

 

“Did you live well here?” 

 

Jeonghan hummed. He did not know how to answer it, between the lie and the truth, it felt not right to tell so. In addition, he was not too eloquent of speaking about himself. 

 

“So the neighbour?” 

 

“Life did a great job for them,” he retorted quickly. He composed too hard toward himself. Joshua snorted. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter