Chapter 3

Soft Yellow(and Cold Silver)

 

‘’Hands up!’’ Taehyung screamed when Jimin touched the water with his toe. His casted arm was wrapped in a plastic bag. Precaution that was provided by Wonhoon.

It was too hot this day and Taehyung suggested swimming in the lake. They went to a remote piece of beach around the water and laid their towels out on the sand.

Jimin was recovering well, he was lucky it happened during the vacation. He wondered how many days he would’ve missed when his accident had happened during school days.

‘’I went swimming with my little brother and sister. They taught me how to snorkel. It was fun! Even though I couldn’t see anything. The water was too dark and too muddy.’’ Taehyung helped Jimin move further, and splashed his bare chest slightly.

‘’Teasing the disabled man? Really?’’ Taehyung broke out in laughter and hugged Jimin with his soaked body.

‘’I missed you Chimmie. Next time you join me, kayy?’’

Golden seeped everywhere and how beautiful it sounded, it frightened Jimin. Was this how he was supposed to feel around his best friend? He was lucky Taehyung couldn’t see colors.

How ed would he be?

That evening Jimin came home, with the borrowed dolphin bath towel from Wonhoon, wrapped around his body. His excited stories about swimming with Taehyung brought laughter and lightness into the house. Silver, orange, pink and gold.

Jimin was happy.

---

Nightmares from his past always came unexpected. He didn’t have them often, but usually he woke up in fright and sore muscles from all the movements he made while stirring in his sleep.

This time he was sleeping over at Taehyung’s grandparents.

In the middle of the night Jimin woke up in cold sweat with a worried Taehyung staring down from his bed to the lone mattress laying on the ground. The large hand of his best friend clamped tightly around his shoulder.

He was always worrying the people around him, and Jimin started feeling scared when he saw purple concern floating around Taehyung.

‘’Are you okay?’’ Taehyung softly muttered. ‘’You were whimpering and stirring too much. I’m sorry that I woke you up.’’

‘’It’s okay. I’m okay.’’ Jimin sat up on the mattress this time staring down upon Taehyung. Rubbing his eyes and stretching out his sore arms.

‘’Don’t worry, this doesn’t happen often.’’

‘’Was it about the house you lived in when you were a toddler?’’

Jimin chuckled sadly and nodded.

‘’It’s okay. I have Wonhoon-ssi and Chaewon-ssi now. They take care of me too well.’’

Taehyung nodded and placed his head down again on the pillow.

‘’Do you want some hot chocolate?’’ Jimin thought for a second before nodding. Only Taehyung would suggest drinking hot chocolate during a heated summer night.

They sat down close by the lake with blankets around their shoulders, hot cup in hands and midnight whispering details about Jimin’s nightmare.  

---

 

School started today, and Jimin was trying to get used to not wearing a cast anymore. He had to train his hand with some equipment before he could use it properly again. Soon he was adjusted and could write again.

He waved Chaewon goodbye. Wonhoon had already left for work in the early morning. Jimin appreciated how he took some days off to help him feel home sooner, but now workdays piled up and he had to catch up all the lost hours. He was working at the general health office in the nearest town and had to drive an hour to get there.

Jimin realized how much he loved Chaewon. Giving up his previous job that was literally five minutes away, to driving everyday two hours without delay when they moved to his wife dream house.

His tieless school uniform was sitting uncomfortable since he was used to wearing t-shirts and shorts on warm days. A week ago Jimin got a letter deciding in which class he was sorted. It surprised him to see Taehyung’s name on the list since he chose a music subject. Jimin chose P.E mainly because Chaewon suggested in taking something after school.

‘’Just think about what you would like.’’

Thinking was harder than he thought, since his previous households never wanted him to participate in something. Taehyung received saxophone lessons during his music classes. He remembered Jungkook picking up Taekwondo, but both weren’t an option for him.

Entering his school was weird. He recognized the faces, but no one was aware of him moving to another family. His class was almost the same as last year, and he hoped he would be more at ease with his grades. His house was finally stable.

No more staying out late to avoid his house as much as possible. No more fear of walking inside or getting hit. No more fright of constantly getting ready to get kicked out.

However, seeing Jungkook everyday was hurting him. Luckily Taehyung was by his side.

Thinking of his best friend Jimin saw that he was watching a video on his phone and laughed with his classmates. It wasn’t weird to see his best friend being surrounded by people. His charming personality was a human magnet.

‘’Chim Chim! Check this out!’’ Taehyung shoved some students to the side to reach his friend. He shoved his phone under his nose and clicked play. It was a dance practice in the school gym. To be completely honest Jimin was amazed by it. The persons dancing was smooth and above all he looked cool. The oversized singlet the boy was wearing revealed a bit of his lean dancer’s body and the sweat clinging to his forehead made sure he took the effort in his dance.

‘’It’s Jung Hoseok from Junior year. Always thought dancing was for girls, but this looks cool, right?’’ Jimin nodded at his friend’s statement. This was the moment Jimin decided what he wanted to do.

---

That afternoon when he came home he helped Chaewon with cooking. Jimin tried to help her as much as possible in the house. To show his thanks mostly and he enjoyed conversing with her.

‘’Jimin-ssi? I know I might come over as nagging, but since the new semester is starting and we have little time to fill in a form…’’

‘’I have decided what I want to do.’’ Jimin smiled reassuring and was careful not to cut his finger while looking up at the woman.

‘’That’s great! I’m happy you decided.’’ Chaewon was putting rice in the cooker and her pink and orange colors made Jimin feel warm inside.

‘’I want to dance.’’

---

 

Jimin stared amazed at his hyung. Bucket hat on his head and a wind jacket tied around his waist.

‘’I’m glad you wanted to practice with me. Taehyung-ssi said you were good, and he almost never lies.’’ Jimin’s stomach churned when he heard the compliment his best friend had given him. He stared at Hoseok while he was searching out a playlist to freestyle on. After finding out the video Taehyung contacted Hoseok hearing about the dances the elder took. Since Jimin was interested he applied to the dance school and like expected the elder was in the same class as him.

That’s how they ended up practicing together.

That’s how Hoseok ended up being Jimin’s second friend.

---

The little five-year-old Jimin was sitting on a bench with a muffler around his neck and matching mittens around his small hands. The sun was breaking through the cold January day and he took a deep sign watching all the colors from people walking past on the street.

Suddenly a young man came sitting next to him on the bench. Holding a paper back filled with something that smelled sweet and sugary. On impulse Jimin’s stomach grumbled and in shame his gaze fell to his feet.

He felt a hand nudging his shoulder. The black-haired boy looked up seeing the man’s face closer to his. Concern and generous circled around him.

‘’Hey, do you want my sugar bread? It’s still warm and I don’t like it that much.’’

Soft yellow filtered through the other colors and Jimin knew the man was lying when seeing he didn’t like the piece of delicious bread. Instead of taking the paper bag he shook his head and muttered something under his breath.

‘’Sorry, didn’t catch you there.’’ The young man’s voice was low and mumbling. At the end, you could hear something of a dialect and Jimin knew he wasn’t coming from the north.

‘’I can see you liked the bread, so you don’t have to give it to me.’’

The man chuckled.

‘’I’m not that hungry.’’ The yellow was more vibrant now.

‘’Stop, lying.’’

‘’How do you know I’m lying?’’ The man asked voice and color filled with curiosity.

‘’I can see it. You have yellow around you.’’ The small innocent boy answered not knowing how much this statement could hurt him. Knowing the man’s curiosity grew when he didn’t just answer: I can see it from your expression. Or something close to body language.

‘’I can see when people are lying, so I don’t want your bread.’’ Jimin smiled at the man and he smiled back.

 

---

Chaewon was concerned when she pulled the thermometer out of Jimin’s ear.

‘’I’m calling you in sick today. You have a fever.’’ She stared at the numbers before placing the white digital stick next to her. Her hand softly through the sweaty fringe of Jimin while the teenager let out a long painful sigh.

‘’I’m getting you some medicine and a towel.’’ Jimin groaned softly and started feeling colder when the silver color left the room. Soft footsteps and creaking’s against the wooden floor until she came back.

Usually when he was sick, no one took care of him and he was usually on his own. He knew out of himself to find medicine and called himself in sick for school. It was weird knowing Chaewon wanted to take care of him.

He knew she had to work today, but she excused herself to take care of him.

 

---

It took a week until Jimin was finally doing better. That morning he put on his school uniform and waved Chaewon goodbye like every usual morning he left for his education.

Jimin was wondering if Taehyung had missed him. He was absent for a whole week without hearing anything from his best friend.

When the black-haired boy entered the school gate he heard the bell ringing and started rushing towards the classroom.

He was on time and saw Taehyung’s seat was still empty. The boy was usually late and somehow never got in trouble for it since it was always exactly one minute. This time wasn’t a change when the door swung open revealing a loud panting Taehyung.

His tie was not hanging straight and his brown hair was a total mess. He excused himself to the teacher who already started the morning routine and made his way into the class.

Jimin knew that Taehyung would sit next to him.

Except he didn’t.

He sat down two seats before him.

 

Next to Jungkook.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

I’m sorry this chapter is short and late. I’ve been busy helping my parents placing a new floor into the house and painting my own room. I’m also sorry to say that then next update may take a while, since I’m going on vacation for around three weeks.

That’s also why this chapter is short. I wanted to update before I go away.

It’s also short since I didn’t feel like writing. I’m going through this major teenage drama called heartbreak. Even though I’m close to being an adult it hurts sooooo much, since he straight up rejected me after giving multiple hints. 

But anyways, my apologies and thanks for reading this smolll update.