Chapter 5

Moondust
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moondust Chapter 5

 

Song For This Chapter// In My Head by Peter Manos

 

YooJung’s POV

That wasn’t the first time I seen BoGum since my return. I seen him in passing on campus, but purposely avoided his paths. I’ve seen him walking to class with SoHyun and Sungjae several times actually. They appeared happy.

 

“YooJung?” SoHyun tapped my arm, asking for my attention. We were in my dorm room hanging out when I was preoccupied with the thought of being attacked again.

 

“I think something is on your neck.” My best friend pointed out. I curbed her curiosity by telling her that it was nothing and pulled up my knit turtleneck higher up on my neck. The bruising was still healing and I expected that it would take several days before it disappeared completely. I was preoccupied with the bruising when SoHyun caught me off guard again. “YooJung ah, if anything happened you would tell us right? I know you’ve been working on your composition for the concour, so you can win first place. Is it because of the debt?” I noticed how hesitant SoHyun sounded as she brought up the topic.

 

“Yeah it is. I owe them over 200, 000 dollars. Every competition I win decreases that amount, so I just have to win first place no matter what.”

 

“I know. Good luck, always.” SoHyun mustered up a slight grin for me.

 

“You’re going to come see me right? Do you think Sungjae would too?” I asked her.

 

“Is that even a question? We would never miss your competition. Sungjae will come. We never missed any of your competitions before!” SoHyun’s remark made me think of our days in high school. “Anyway aren’t you hungry? My mom packed you some food. You need to eat while you practice.”

 

“Tell your mom thank you.”

 

“That’s not needed. Your mom did so much more for me whenever we hung out.”

 

“SoHyun, did I ever tell you how grateful I am for you? God blessed me by having you in my life.” The moment became sincere as I brought up the topic. Church. It was the place Sungjae, SoHyun, BoGum, and I all met. SoHyun and I met since we were in elementary school. Sungjae soon came and we all met BoGum when he was in middle school. We used to lead the church praise team, since Sungjae has the most incredible voice. I played the piano and BoGum played the guitar. SoHyun used to be our coordinator, picking the songs and arranging the practicing times.

 

“Me too, YooJung. Me too. Are you worried that Sungjae will always be mad at you?” I nodded to SoHyun’s question.

 

“Sungjae stopped singing ever since the accident. Now, he’s singing, but it took him a while before he started again. He told me once that he couldn’t sing because singing reminded him of you and BoGum when you guys would practice for the worship times. So Sungjae is working on his feelings. He’ll be back to normal soon.”

 

“I hope so.” I was saddened and relieved when I found out why Sungjae was so angered when he saw me that day. The accident didn’t just impact BoGum and I. It impacted our best friends as well. I seemed to have forgotten that.

 

SoHyun was ebullient as always, eager to help me pick out my dress for the competition and made me promise not to get ready by myself. SoHyun used to come over every time I had a competition and my mom would do both of our hair. My mom was the one that curled my hair all the time, for even the possibility of me burning my hand with the iron was a risk to be avoided.

 

SoHyun purchased a new pair of heels while I paid for my new dress. I didn’t want to let go of the card, but I eventually had to. After all, my grandmother made me promise to buy a new dress with the money she sent me.

 

I was in the practice room when I got a call from BoGum. This was the first time he called me. I quickly picked up the phone to hear a voice on the other line that wasn’t his. It was a voice that haunted me all these years.

 

“Hear that? That’s the sound of your boyfriend getting beaten up. Now hurry on over or else I’ll kill him.” Then he hung up. I ran out of the practice room and into my empty dorm room. I knelt down in front of the bottom drawer, trying to unlock the lock when I kept mistaking the combination numerous times. I was messing up because I was in such a hurry. I tugged on the lock and just grabbed the wad of cash. I hailed a cab and headed straight to the restaurant, SoHyun told me that BoGum was working at. The sound of grunting and pained groans helped me find BoGum. However he was on the ground, staring indignantly at the debt collector while getting kicked in the torso.


“Stop it! Here’s your damn money!” I yelled, getting his attention. He ceased his actions and walked over to snatch the envelope from my hands. He took a moment to check the envelope. BoGum slowly got up from the pavement.

 

“Are you ing kidding me? 2000?” The man glared, walking up to me with an opened switchb

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter