The Red Thread

The Red Thread
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

word count: 2374

“Mommy! Does that mean that they’re soulmates?” Seven year old me asked. My mother nodded her head.

“Yes it does. Me and your father? The red thread is thicker than ever between me and him because we are soulmates who love each other very much,” she explained.

“Wow, I hope I find out who the person at the end of my string is,” I said dreamily.

 

I always believed in soulmates ever since my mother told me the legend of the red thread. I believed it was an actual thing, that the universe determined who your soulmate was. I was positive that I’d find my soulmate one day. And so, people always asked how one would know. I believed that you would know upon meeting them. It’d be an instant connection, a feeling you couldn’t get rid of.

So all throughout elementary school, middle school, and high school, I looked for the feeling. I tried to see if anyone I met was the one, but I never felt it. I never felt the strong pull towards someone. Sure, I had crushes and all, but it was just small physical attraction.

I was finally in the second year of college and I had yet to find my soulmate. I slowly began to lose hope. Will I grow old without even meeting my soulmate? Will I be lonely forever?

I was chatting with a few friends, walking backwards to keep the conversation going when I stumbled over someone.

“Oh my god, I am so sorry,” I quickly apologized, picking up the book that they dropped. But when I looked into their eyes, I knew. I knew that the red thread had brought us together, I finally knew how people felt when they met their soulmate.

Because I had finally met mine.

“Hey,” the man said, holding my arms and flashing me a bright smile.

“Hey.”

The day I met my soulmate, I had to unfortunately be dragged to class before I’d be marked late. But somehow, I managed to slip my number into his phone with a promise for coffee before I had to leave. The whole day, I was giddy and smiley, too absorbed into the fact that I had finally met my soulmate after all this time. People called me crazy for believing in something like that, but I believed in it. I didn’t care what other people thought because as long as I was happy, that’s all that mattered.

And so, later that evening, we met up at a cafe near campus. It was too late for coffee, so we settled with a hot tea and chatted the whole entire night. I knew he felt it too, because we were far too connected for this to be nothing, for this to be one sided. Coffee and tea dates turned into movie nights and dinner dates. Our weekly outings became more often to the point where we saw each other everyday, even though we had no classes together.

“Do you believe in soulmates?” I asked one night when we were lying in the grass, staring at the starry sky. He turned to look at me, his bright smile plastered on his face.

“Of course I do. You do, right?” He asked.

“Yeah I do. I believe that an invisible red thread connects soulmates. And someday, no matter what, they will meet,” I told him.

When I told him that, he was quiet for a little bit. Then, he grabbed my hand and connected our fingers.

“Do you think we have a red thread, then?” He asked, hesitantly. I looked at him, a smile slowly forming onto my face. This was all I ever dreamed of and now, it was coming true.

“I know that we have a red thread, Taehyung. You are my soulmate,” I told him honestly, clenching onto his hand tighter.

“And do you think that soulmates are lovers?” He mumbled, nervously glancing into my eyes.

“Of course.”

Taehyung was silent, just smiling and staring at me with such emotion that it was almost overwhelming before he finally said something.

“I love you, soulmate.”

My life was as great as it could ever be. Right out of college, I got a great position at a big corporate company and it paid well too. Taehyung was doing great as well, so we decided to move in together than to bunk at each other’s apartment all of the time.

“In the future, do you think that people will still believe in soulmates?” I asked one night as we were lying in bed. Taehyung turned to look at me.

“Why wouldn’t they? Soulmates are the very reason why we are so hopeful for love. We all hope that one day we will find our soulmate and that we will live happily forever,” he told me. I bit my lip.

“My friend broke up with her boyfriend today. I thought they were soulmates, but I guess not,” I mumbled, absently playing with my hair.

Thinking about them made me really upset. My friend deserved the world and I thought that her relationship was going on stronger than anyone else’s. I thought they were destined to be together, that they were soulmates.

“Maybe she hasn’t found her right soulmate yet. Don’t worry, baby. That’s not gonna be us. I love you, okay? That’s never going to change,” Taehyung comforted me, hugging me close and kissing my forehead.

I smiled up at him, up at the man I loved, the man who was my soulmate.

“I love you, soulmate,” I whispered.

“I love you too, soulmate.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter