THREE

Secret Love ~ A Kim Jongdae Short Story

Y/n's POV:

I was in a world of total bliss when I heard footsteps. The footsteps stopped and I looked up to see who it was. My eyes widened realizing that Chanyeol was standing there, looking at me in Jongdae's arms.

Jongdae sprang away from me as if I was some vicious animal and it hurt that he did that instead of being by my side. But now was not the moment to protest about it.

Chanyeol looked furious, his eyes flickering from me to Jongdae and back to me. I saw the look of hurt in his eyes knowing how he felt betrayed by people whom he loved the most.

"Cha... Chanyeol-ah ... " Jongdae began hesitantly but Chanyeol didn't let him finish.

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING??!!", he bellowed.

"Oppa...." I called out to Chanyeol but he just ignored me, his eyes trained on Jongdae.

"How long has this been going on??! Is this why you became my friend?! Use me to get to my sister?!"

Jongdae had managed to regain some of his confidence.

"What?! No! Of course not! How could you even think that?!"

"Then explain to me why did I just walk in on you kissing her when I basically told you not to even think about dating her?!!"

"Chanyeol -ah, I know you said that but....", Jongdae looked at me and then he let out a deep breath as if he made up his mind. Would he tell the truth?

"Well??", Chanyeol said impatiently.

"I like her." My heart skipped a beat when he said those three words. He looked at me again and I gave him a reassuring smile.

"I like her a lot Chanyeol. Maybe even more than like." There goes my heart again.

"I know what you're thinking. This isn't some onetime thing. I've had these feelings for a while now. And they keep growing each day."

A huge smile took over my face and all I wanted to do was hug him and tell him how I felt the same way. Until Chanyeol interrupted this sweet moment that is.

"Still! You went behind my back Jongdae! Does our friendship mean nothing to you?! You could have told me. But you didn't. Even if you did, I wouldn't accept this. You of all people should know how I feel about Y/n and dating."

Whatever confidence Jongdae had, it all disappeared. And I was getting angrier. Chanyeol was plain crazy now. I know he just wants to protect me, but this is too much.

"You have no right to decide if I should date or not! It is my choice!" I took a step forward. Chanyeol's eyes zeroed in on me now.

"Y/n, stay out of it."

"Stay out of it?! This is my life! I can do whatever I want! I like Jongdae and I want to be with him. Why can't you just let us be?!", I tried to reason with him.

"And it was my idea.... To keep it a secret from you." I didn't want Jongdae to take all the blame. His eyes widened at what I said. He was about to protest but I shook my head.

"I knew how you'd behave, just like the way you are behaving now. So, I told him to hide it from you. It's not his fault. So, don't blame him." Chanyeol just stared at me with a look of hatred and disappointment.

"Oppa.... Please..." I looked at Chanyeol.

"I trusted the both of you.... And this is what you do. You lied to me. How do you expect me to trust you ever again? I can't forgive you for this." He said dejectedly.

"Please Chanyeol..." Jongdae spoke up. "I know what I did was wrong and I am so sorry. This isn't how I wanted to tell you about this and I should have come to you. Please.... I never meant to break your trust. Forgive me Chanyeol." Jongdae was pleading with him and it hurt me to see him like that.

"Then break up with her." Chanyeol might as well have taken a gun and shot the both of us because that's how it felt.

"You can't be serious?" I managed to say.

"If you care about our friendship then you would do it. That's the only way I'll forgive you. Or else we're through." Chanyeol said staring intently at Jongdae who'd gone pale as a ghost.

I couldn't believe that my brother would give such an ultimatum. I looked at Jongdae, hoping he'd oppose it and fight for us. But he didn't. I could see it in his eyes and it hurt me so much that Jongdae was considering it, to break up with me.

I couldn't believe it. But as much as it hurt me, I understood him. A friendship of 12 years is so much important and meaningful than a .... A fling of a couple of months. And I didn't want to be the reason for their ruin.

Jongdae would never be able to make a choice. So, I made one for him. My heartbeat pounded in my ears and my throat closed off. I almost felt sick. But I had to do it. I took a deep breath and spoke out loud.

"Ok."

Both turned to look at me. A look of horror filled Jongdae's face while Chanyeol was surprised.

"Your friendship is much more important that this.... whatever it is. And I don't want to come in the middle of it." I said looking straight ahead at the opposite wall.

"Y/n...", Jongdae started but I didn't let him finish. I needed to get it over with because I might not be able to if I hear him speak.

"Your wish came true big brother. Because it's over." As I said this, I felt an onslaught of tears, waiting to be unleashed. I tried to hold it back as much as possible.

I grabbed my bag from the floor and started to leave when Jongdae stopped me.

"Y/n please. Don't do this. Please." He looked at me with sadness in his eyes. But I knew what I was doing was right.

I held back my tears so he wouldn't see it. But the look on his face confirmed that he saw the pain I felt. And he felt the same.

"It's alright D... Dae.... It's for the b... best. Fo... for ... forget about me. It wasn't anything anyways." I was turning into a mess and I wanted to get out of here. I wanted to bury myself into my pillow and cry my heart out. But I had to do this.

"Y/n please...."

"No Dae... Leave me. We're over." I said this and ran out of there. I ran down the stairs and out the building without looking back. My mind ran blank as I took the long way home. It was a lot to walk, but I didn't care. I couldn't go home in this state.

I wondered around until I saw a park up ahead. My head started to hurt and I wanted to sit down. I walked to the park that was filled with kids with their parents and elderly people out for a walk, and found a secluded spot under a tree.

As I neared the tree, it suddenly hit me. All the pain that I'd managed to keep bottled up since I left school exploded and it felt as if my world had crashed.

I sat on the ground, pulling my legs close to my chest, silent tears flowing down my face. Now you'd think that it was just a break up and we hadn't even dated much. But it still hurt so bad.

In the short time we'd been together, I never realized how my feelings for him had grown so much. Maybe I was falling for him but now....

I stayed there for a long time, quietly bearing my sufferings while everyone else around me were in their own happy worlds. Finally, when I felt empty, tired and cold, I headed home.

 

**********

 

No One's POV:

After Y/n had left, Jongdae and Chanyeol remained quiet for a while. Chanyeol felt bad about making Y/n cry but he thought he'd make it up to her later. Jongdae stood still, filled with regret and his heart broken. He couldn't get Y/n's pained face out of his head. And it wrecked him even more.

"Well, I'm sorry that had to happen Jongdae. But it's for the best. How about we go meet with the others, just chill out," Chanyeol said putting his hand on Jongdae's shoulder, "I'm sure you'll find some other girl..."

But Jongdae shrugged him off.

"You got what you wanted. Just leave me alone." Jongdae said defeatedly. He grabbed his bag and walked out leaving Chanyeol puzzled at his behavior.