1/1

Am I Worser Than Socks?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Am I Worser than Socks? 8.5k Words 11/09/17  

Irene vividly remembers how she first saw Seulgi running hastily towards the school gate. She was doing her job as the school's president when a girl with dishevelled blonde hair stopped infront of her.

They stared at each other. Just stared. Nothing else, yet Irene could feel her pulse beating in her ears, blocking out all other sound except the loud panting from the girl that Irene should label her name under the late-comer list. Yet, the president could not tear her eyes away from the late-comer whom she first saw in the campus.

 

Her beauty was exceptional. Her feline fox-like eyes was strikingly sharp, yet at the same time oozes innocence and warmth. Irene never knew that such mono-lids beauty existed. 

 

"I-I'm sorry, I got lost on the way." The blonde apologized as she avoided the eye-contact they had been holding for the pass minute. Her chubby cheeks tainted with hints of crimson red as she smiled bashfully at the president. 

Irene swore she just saw the cutest smile on the earth. 

Before Irene could utter any words out, another voice beat her to it.

 

"What's your name and class? We have to mark you down for being late." Chorong, the vice-president questioned as she took out her pen but was stopped by Irene who shook her head. 

 

"I think its her first day of school and she got lost on her way." Irene reasoned out, trying to get the blonde out of trouble.

 

"But theres no rules saying that those students should be let off." 

 

Irene knows. 

She was the one who set the rules.

But screw the rules when theres a cute girl looking all lost and fragile staring at her. 

 

"Listen to me, i'm the president, Chorong." Irene scowled as she sliently signalled the latter to leave her alone with the freshman who seemed to have calmed down from her little marathon run. 

 

"Are you a transfer student?" Irene questioned while flashing her million-watt smile and smirked inwardly when she saw the latter being flustered. 

 

"Erm, no. I'm a freshman since the beginning of the semester." 

 

Irene widen her eyes upon the revelation and wondered how could she never crossed path with this rare beauty for that four month of school when she's practically running all around the school. 

 

"Oh, i see and you still get lost?" 

 

The blonde scratched her neck and smiled sheepishly, "It's a long story. But are you sure it's okay for you let me go?" 

 

"Well." Irene pondered for a moment.

 

"Can i get your name and class?" 

 

"Are you going to mark me down?" The girl was clearly flustered and nervous about having her name jotted on the late-comer list. 

 

Irene shrugged while the latter could only sigh in despair, blaming herself for not being able to run faster. 

 

"Kang Seulgi. Class 1A, School of Arts and Music."

 

Irene jotted it down at the back of her notebook.

 

 

-

 

 

"You're such a creep, Rene." Solar jested at her bestfriend who was currently grinning with her eyes following a certain blonde-haired junior. The president shrugged off her comment as she continue observing the latter currently sitting down on the table and having her meal alone at the corner. 

 

"She seems lonely, why not you accompany her rather than admiring her from afar?" Chorong rolled her eyes while Irene gave her a 'are you kidding me' look. 

 

"I'm not admiring her!" She quickly denied. 

 

Changsub crackled, "Yeah right. Everyone in the council knows how you defended the girl whenever she supposely get lost and came late to school. Sure, you're not admiring her. You're in love with her." 

 

With her cheeks glowing bright red, Irene ignored her friends and continue staring at her crush whom she had been stalking for the past weeks. Throughout the weeks, the only interaction they had was when Seulgi got caught being late for school for the upteenth time. To which Irene never fails to let the younger go without any punishments other than holding her back for the few moments and try intiating a conversation with the younger. Irene was contented with the slow progression of their friendship even if she could only get a few smiles from Seulgi whenever they cross path.

However, what she made her most curious was the fact that Seulgi was always running away. There was once where Irene caught the latter running back to the campus with some people dressed in suit pursuing her but was blocked by the guards who didnt allow any outsiders. 

 

Bless her for setting that 'no outsiders in the campus' rule.

 

Who are those people dressed in suit?

Is Seulgi in trouble?

Are they the ones who caused Seulgi to be late for school almost everyday? 

 

Irene lets her curiosity eat her up as she deliberately left her class earlier and shadowed the art student.

 

"Ms Seulgi. You have to go with us." 

With her blank screened phone pressed on her ears, Irene pretended to be answering a phone call as she walked closer to the bunch of men in suit talking to Seulgi who wore an annoyed expression. 

 

"No. I need to make a trip somewhere."

 

"But Mr Kang had instructed us to bring you     "

 

"     I've already told him i'm not going to the meeting. Leave me alone and stop picking me up from school." 

 

Irene frowns as Seulgi suddenly got grabbed by her arms and shoulders and got dragged towards the car while struggling to escape. 

 

"SEULGI!" 

 

Without her knowing, Irene was already standing infront of the blonde, grabbing her hand with an awkward smile as she projected her voice louder for those men who had their flirty hands laying on Seulgi's skin, "WE HAVE A PROJECT TO DO TOGETHER, DON'T YOU REMEMBER?" 

 

Initially, Seulgi was caught off guard but then slowly got the hint from Irene and immediately nodded, slapping away the hands that was grabbed by those men before taking a step towards her benefactress. 

 

"Yeah, I have some projects to settle, so tell him that I won't be turning up for that dinner." 

 

"But Ms. Kang    "

 

"     Let's go Irene sunbae." The brunette let the junior hold her hand as they walked away from the men. Irene doesn't know if it is right to have her heart beating so fast just by holding her friend hand. Or thinking how perfect Seulgi's slender hands are wrapped around hers while having her cheeks flustered crimson red. 

 

Irene Bae, are you in love?

 

 

-

 

 

"Ugh, why don't they ever just leave me alone? For pringle's sake?" Seulgi muttered under her breath as she saw the two fimilar parked cars stationed outside the cafe she had brought Irene.

 

Irene stared at the younger girl worriedly, "Are they after you or something? Or are they your bodyguards?" 

 

The blonde sighs and leaned back onto her chair, "Bodyguards that my father hired to stalk me."

 

"What for? Did you caused any troubles?"

 

Seulgi shook her head wordlessly as she glanced at her watch then to the bodyguards standing at the entrance of the shop, "Ugh. Looks like i need to think of a way to escape." 

 

Irene smiles, "You know, i can help you."

 

"How?" 

 

The president winked at the younger girl before standing up and walked out confidently towards one of the bodyguards. Seulgi squinted her eyes sharply at the older girl who muttered a sentence or two to him. Surprisingly, the bodyguard bowed to her and directed his team to get back to the car. 

 

"There, they are gone." Irene smiles pleasingly as she entered the cafe and bobed her head towards the entrance where not a single bodyguard was stationed. 

 

"Wow. What spell did you cast on them?" Seulgi was amused and innocently joked, "Are you perhaps Aphrodite? Did he fell for your beautiful face and left?" 

 

The brunette could feel her cheeks heating up, her heart skipping a beat and a weird sensation settling down at the pit of her stomach at the latter's compliment. 

 

"Are you saying that i'm beautiful?" 

 

Clearly, Seulgi didn't know she let her thought slip out of her tongue when Irene saw her protruding ears turning bright pink and her eyes darting around. The senior giggled and leaned forward, purposely displaying her beautiful face infront of Seulgi who tries her best to not let her eyes linger on the older's features too long. 

 

"It was a gamble." Irene says, "my father owns a bodyguard firm and i thought that they might be under him. I guess we're just lucky they indeed were. So I just used his name and threatened them, thats all." 

 

"I see.." Seulgit nodded absentmindedly, still embarrased at how she let her thought slip out of her tongue that easily. 

 

"Thanks for you help, sunbae." Seulgi smiles, before standing up, "I need go now. See you around?" 

 

Irene could have just nodded, go back home and revise for her test tommorow. But something pulls her back, wanting to spend more time with the blonde. She needs to feed her curiosity about Seulgi. Even if it means that she won't have the time to study for her upcoming chemistry test. 

 

"Can I go with you?"

 

 

-

 

 

If Irene knew that Seulgi was going to visit this fawn coated and white marked chest puppy, she would have went home instead. Being scared of pets, Irene made sure she is at least ten feet away from the animal who was now enjoying the food Seulgi had prepared. 

 

"Sunbae, what are you doing there?" 

 

"E-Erm...I-I'm scared of dogs." 

 

Seulgi blinks. She stared at Irene who was looking at the harmless puppy alarmingly then back to the fluffy cute animal before giggling. 

 

Irene snapped her orbs at her junior, "A-Are you laughing at me?" 

 

"Yes." Seulgi chunckled, "He's not a dog. He's a puppy! Why are you so scared of it? It's so small and fluffy!" 

 

"No it's scary. It bites." 

 

Seulgi shook her head, "It doesn't. I trained him." 

 

Seeing the younger girl standing up from her squatting position and taking a few steps towards her while holding out her hand, Irene took further steps back and shook her head, "No Seulgi, I can't be near it!" 

 

"C'mon trust me. He won't hurt you." The way Seulgi smiles so comfortly and so chivalrously, Irene found her hand making it's way to the younger's and letting the blonde pull her towards the puppy with docked tails. 

 

Irene almost backed away when the puppy looked up at her but the younger was firmed with her grip. 

 

"Try to pat on him." 

 

The brunette gulped as she saw the little animal tilting his head with his tongue panting out of his mouth after drinking his water, "W-Why is he looking at me like this?" 

 

"Maybe because he wants you to pat on him?" Seulgi says as she take the shivering and hestitant hand and placed it inbetween the puppy's ears. It doesn't take that long for Irene to finally trust that the puppy is harmless. Seulgi grinned in satisfication as she saw how Irene slowly beamed at the puppy while caressing him. 

 

"Look, Socks don't bite right?" 

 

Irene nodded excitingly then turn to Seulgi, "His name is socks?"

 

"Yep." 

 

"How did you find him?" 

 

Seulgi shrugged, "Well, I was walking through this underpass and heard some whimpering coming from a box. Then when i opened it up, i saw this fluffy moving puppy and decided to foster him up?" 

 

"Then why didn't you bring him home?" 

 

The younger girl smiles as she see Socks jumping into Irene's arms, trying to cuddle her. 

 

"Seems like Socks is enjoying your prescence." Irene nodded and laughs as Socks tried her face enthusiastically, "My house doesn't allow any pets. So I couldn't bring it back, sadly." 

 

"Your family sounds strict." 

 

Irene could tell how Seulgi's eyes suddenly lose its sparks at the mention of her family and how the younger suddenly get more gloomy. Putting Socks down, Irene brought her hand up to caress the blonde's back, "It's fine if you are not comfortable sharing with me." 

 

Seulgi smiles, "Thank you." 

 

"But know that i'll be here if you need someone to talk to." 

 

"Why are you being so kind to me, Sunbae?" Seulgi questioned, "You helped me to escape from those bodyguards and let me off the hook for so many times from being late for school." 

 

Maybe because I like you? 

 

Irene smiles.

 

"Because you have this innocent and fragile look on your face that makes my heart want to help you." 

 

 

-

 

 

It takes a few more escapades and breaking of rules for Irene to get closer to Kang Seulgi. Although skipping classes and not marking the blonde down for being late might threathen her president position, Irene still find herself doing it repeatedly. But she was thankful that she was able to get closer with Seulgi.

 

"Unnie!"

It doesnt matter if she had a bad day, because just with Seulgi smiling at her brightly with the little Socks in her arm, was able to pull Irene out of her misery. 

 

"Are you dating Kang Seulgi?" 

 

Irene almost puke her food out that morning when her father threw her that question, "What?? Where did you that that information from?" Mr Bae sighs as he placed the newspaper that he was reading, infront of his daughter. 

 

DAUGHTER OF KANG ENTERPRISE BREAKING HEARTS OF HER FANS

Kang Seulgi was seen having a date with her family's bodyguard fim CEO's daughter, Irene Bae. They attend the same collegue and had been spotted have a casual date at the cafe across their school. It seems like many hearts of fangirls and fanboys are broken.

Irene widen her eyes in shock when she saw a couple of photos of her with Seulgi the other day printed on the first page of the newspaper.

 

"W-What..."

 

"Are you dating her?"

 

Too appalled to voice out, Irene just shook her head and looked at the newspaper in disbelieve. Who would had thought Kang Seulgi was the only daughter of the famous number one enterprise in Korea? 

 

"I'm not! We are just friends..."

 

"Then how would you explain the pictures?"

 

"I...    "

 

"    Mr Bae, it's impossible for us to get out, the reporters are flooding the gates." 

 

The brunette was dumbfounded when her father sighs and shook his head, "I guess its better for you to skip school today. If you are really not dating her, then leave it to me. I will settle it." 

 

Knowing that she couldn't do much about it, Irene nodded her head and went up her room only to get worried about the blonde as she stares at the reporters stationed infront of her house entrance. 

If she had these many reporters here, how much more would it be at Seulgi's? It wasn't helping Irene's anxiousness about the younger's well-being especially after recalling how Seulgi seemed to have a strict family. 

 

*ring*

 

A buzz from her phone had pulled Irene out from her train of thoughts. Picking up her phone, she scrolled through the spammed messages the 91-liners squard had sent her and the forty miss calls from them. Irene wasn't in the mood to answer any of their questions but when Chorong's name flashed across her screen, Irene still slide it to the right. 

 

"OMG IRENE ARE YOU DATING KANG SEULGI?" 

 

She should have known. 

 

"No. I'm not, Park. Don't believe whatever the newspaper is rumoring about me and Seulgi."

 

"BUT YOU GUYS ARE CAUGHT IN THE PICTURES!"

 

"Its was just us hanging out as friends!"

 

"I DIDN'T KNOW YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS!" It was obvious the line to snatched away by the high-pitched bubbly Solar, "YOU GUYS LOOK SO GOOD TOGETHER! I SHIP IT!" 

 

"GO AWAY, SQUIRTLE!" Irene rolled her eyes when the line got rowdy again now with Changsub ahjussi voice booming into her ears, "WOW YOU FINALLY MADE A MOVE UH? NICE ONE, I'M PROU   "

 

Irene doesn't bother letting Changsub finish his sentence and just hang up on him. Before she could allow her thoughts to run back to the blonde girl again, her phone rang yet again. 

 

Without bothering to look at the contact number, she pick it up and curses was about to roll of her tongue when she heard a small gentle raspy voice. 

 

"Unnie? Are you alright?" 

 

"Seulgi?" Pressing the device nearer to her ears, Irene could make out the soft sobs that the younger was trying to sniffle and hide, "I'm fine. Are you crying? What happened?" 

 

There was a pause at the other line before Irene could hear Seulgi again, "I-I'm sorry for pulling you into this mess. I didn't know we were being followed." 

 

Irene sighs and ruffled her hair in despair. She wants to comfort the girl, but she herself was was confused about everything that was happening as well. 

 

"Its alright, Seulgi. Stop crying, it's not your fault." 

 

"It's my fault!" Seulgi exclaimed and Irene got even more worried when she heard the ragged breaths from the younger, "Now my father is not going to let you off that easily!" 

 

Fear start creeping into Irene as she heard what Seulgi had said. 

Is Mr Kang going to do something bad to her? Behead her for supposely 'dating' his only daughter? No right? We aren't living in that historical years anymore!

 

"W-What do you mean?"

 

"Y-You have to get married with me, Unnie..." 

 

 

 

-

 

 

And thats how Irene moved in together with Seulgi into another apartment for the past six month, coming to the seventh month. Long story short, they both were forced to get married due to some political and business issues that both of them weren't interested in at all. It was just a one-year contract and both of them fathers convinced them that it would pass by quickly. 

 

Truth to be told, Irene didn't mind that she was married to Seulgi. In fact, she was ecstatic about their married life. I mean, afterall she still habours that little crush on Kang Seulgi. Irene had imagined them being awkward at the first stage then slowly they would fall in love with each other like how dramas portrays arranged marriage to be like. However, dramas are different from reality. Instead of being closer, Irene feels like they were drifting away instead. Seulgi wouldn't talk to her unless she starts a conversation and the younger would quickly end it before the older could save it. 

 

Although, she didn't get her supposely marriage life, but Irene was glad she get to know more about the younger one. 

 

She now know how Seulgi hates vegetable so much till the extend she had to threaten the younger girl that she would throw away all of her newly stocked up cans of pringles if she doens't take it. 

She now know how Seulgi looks like in the morning yet at the same time doesn't understand how she could be still so attractive after waking up with drool stains. (okay maybe it's just Irene being blinded by love)

Her feelings only grew deeper when she found out how Seulgi's mom had left her when she was a kid and how she was forced to take over her father's business though her passion was in arts and musics.

There were many time when Irene attempted to gain the younger's attention but it was all futile especially when they weren't the only ones in living in the house.

 

"Irene unnie, I'm going to bring Socks out for a walk." 

When Irene says they weren't the only ones living in the house, she's refering to this ultimate -blocker, always taking way her desired attention from Seulgi. There's no way, Seulgi would even glance at her when all she does was to talk, play and sleep with Socks. 

That annoying Pembroke Welsh Corgi which Irene regrets agreeing for Seulgi to bring it back home. 

 

"It's already quite late, Seul." 

 

"Yeah, I know but I can't sleep. You can sleep first, don't wait for me." 

 

Seulgi smiled and was about to put on the leash for Socks who was wiggling his almost non-existence tail in excitement. But Irene was quick enough to grab the younger's arm, "I can't sleep too. Can you accompany me to watch some movies? I'm bored." 

 

Albeit, showing some hestitation, Irene managed to get Seulgi to give in to her suggestion. 

"What movie do you want to watch?" Seulgi questioned as she w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter