One

Hypocrites

They were Hakyeon's best friends. They're the one Hakyeon would look for after his family. They're not just friends, they're like Hakyeon's brothers.

Or so Hakyeon thought.

The maknae of the group, Hyuk is his favorite dongsaeng. He's cute in whatever he did and Hakyeon can't stop calling him cute. Although Hyuk has warned Hakyeon many times to not call him cute in neither public nor private, Hakyeon don't really care. He still do it. Seriously, who can resists Hyuk's cuteness?

Hongbin is the one Hakyeon has known since forever. He's the first person Hakyeon meet and get comfortable with in their group of friends. Hakyeon love how even though Hongbin said Hakyeon is annoying all the time but he still be there when Hakyeon needs him.

Jaehwan and Wonshik are a lovey dovey kids that joined their group the last. Jaehwan is funny and talkative while Wonshik seems a bit more serious than Jaehwan (not that much though). Wonshik never admit that, but Hakyeon knows that Wonshik has been crushing on Jaehwan since god knows when. He would follow Jaehwan everywhere and supports Jaehwan in whatever he did.

Taekwoon is Hakyeon's long life friend. They are both born on the same year, and to be honest Hakyeon is comfortable with Taekwoon the most. Because they are at the same age, Hakyeon is more carefree when he's with Taekwoon. No such thing as 'I'm older so I need to be more mature' when they're together. Hakyeon can talk about everything and anything with Taekwoon while Taekwoon would listen wholeheartedly. They understand each other that much.

Their group of friends starts from only Hakyeon and Hongbin until there are six of them now. They would go to cafe or game arcade together after school. They don't really have things in common. Taekwoon love football, Hakyeon love dancing, Hongbin is in photography club, Jaehwan with his musical club, Hyuk and Wonshik play volleyball. But none of it matters. They support each other like how friends should be. They went to Taekwoon, Hyuk and Wonshik's matches, Hakyeon's dance competitions and Jaehwan's musical theatre. They would be Hongbin's model when Hongbin needs them to.

Hakyeon love his friends. Words can't describe how much he love them. He wanted their friendship last forever. But lately, his heart keep doubting his friends. Are they even real? Do they really consider him as their friend?

Lately, their jokes are too much.

It's not funny anymore.

"Hyung your dark skin are too contrast when you're with us"

"Hakyeon, you're annoying and talks too much. Can you shut up?"

"Go away hyung, you're not needed here"

It starts from Hakyeon slightly hurt from their jokes to Hayeon can't even act like he's not hurt anymore. His face shows it, but his friends can't seem to notice that.

"Hey look, Hakyeon hyung's birthday is next month!" Jaehwan said as he was looking at the calendar. The others who was busy doing their own things turned their head to the voice.

Hakyeon was about to walk in to their hangout place, but stop when he heard Jaehwan's. Let's wait a little. Let see what they're going to do this year. He smiled.

"Seriously? God I almost forgot" Taekwoon muttered halfheartedly.

Jaehwan nodded. "So what are we going to do?" Hongbin ask. Last year they went to Hakyeon's house at 11:59 pm to surprise him.

"Can't we just act like we forgot about it?" Hyuk said, not even looking as he was busy playing game on his phone.

Wonshik nodded, "yeah. I don't really like him anyway. Why do we have to celebrate his birthday every time?"

Jaehwan stare Wonshik in disbelieve, "Wonshik, what-"

"You told me last time too right hyung? He's not funny and boring! Remember when we had to make a fake laugh when he made his stupid jokes?" Wonshik stated.

Jaehwan nodded, "well, yes but-"

"Hey don't say it like that" Taekwoon finally utter. It's not like he really like Hakyeon but he don't hate Hakyeon.

"But you said he talks too much" Wonshik continued.

"Yeah, and annoying" Hyuk adds.

Taekwoon shut his mouth. Well, it's true but...

"Let's not be hypocrite anymore guys. All of us hate him. Right?" Hongbin rolled his eyes.

All of them laugh.

 

******

 

 

Ah I see. Now I finally see what's going on. Hakyeon said in his head as he walks to his home.

 

Cha_NNN : Leo, guess I'm not joining you guys today. Sorry!

Jung_Leo : Ok

 

He read his text message with Taekwoon again and again. He don't even bother to ask me why? Hakyeon chuckled, guess they don't really care about me, huh?

"Hakyeon?" Hakyeon turned his head as he heard his mom calling.

"Yeah, mom?"

"Wongeun is here" his mom said, standing at the door with Wongeun next to her.

Wongeun smiled warmly as he waves his hand.
 

****** 
 

"What do you want for your birthday?" Wongeun asked Hakyeon as they both are now lying down on Hakyeon's bed.

"hmmm" Hakyeon thinks. "I don't know" he answered honestly. He don't really have anything in his wish list. He just somehow got everything he want. Plus, he has awesome friends around him and he's grateful for that.

"Really?" Wongeun turned his body, looking at Hakyeon unbelievably. "Like book you want to read? Or anything??? Yah, I'll be your genie. Tell me your wish" Wongeun jokes.

"Oh! Nice idea" Hakyeon suddenly remember something. He sit up. "This time I'm going to be a genie and fulfill everyone's wishes!!!" he said happily.

"What?" Wongeun asked back as he don't really understands what Hakyeon meant.

Hakyeon closed his eyes. He exhaled heavily. "My birthday always filled with people giving me presents and showered me with affections. So, I guess this time it's me going to give them presents by fulfilling their wishes"

 

******

 

"Hakyeon" Taekwoon called his so-called long life friend. Hakyeon called him that. Hakyeon always said Taekwoon is his long life friend. Taekwoon don't really care about things like that. A friend is a friend. That's it.

Hakyeon was talking with Minhyuk, he turned his face to Taekwoon when his name being called. He was smiling earlier but turn to expressionless when he saw the latter. "What is it?" Hakyeon asked, a little bit harsh than what he meant to. But never mind, it's not like Taekwoon really care. Taekwoon always treated him like that, so why can't he?

 

 

"Taek! Taek!" Hakyeon called Taekwoon but didn't get any response. He approached the latter and noticed that Taekwoon was listening to music. He pulled one of the earphone off Taekwoon's ear, "Taek what are you listening to?" he tried to put the earphone in his ear but Taekwoon snatched the earphone from Hakyeon's hand harshly. "Can you stop bothering me? You're so annoying!!" Taekwoon said furiously and walked leaving Hakyeon who was stunned by Taekwoon's action.

 

 

Minhyuk can sense the tension between the both guys. "umm.. I'm going to Eunkwang. Ttyl"

Hakyeon nodded as he look at Minhyuk walking away until he's out of his sight. "So?" his eyes turns to Taekwoon, "What do you want?"

Taekwoon frowned. What's with the attitude? "I'm asking you if you wanna join us to the arcade after school" he said, calmly. Maybe Hakyeon's in a bad mood. 

Hakyeon shook his head, "no thanks. I'm going to the mall with Wongeun"

"Okay then" Taekwoon starts to walk back to his class but stop when he heard Hakyeon's tiny voice, "I don't get it. It's not like you guys really appreciate my presence but still bother to ask if I want to join. You guys are happier when I'm not with you though"

Hakyeon said in a low voice but Taekwoon can hear it. "What do you mean?" he turns back.

"Nothing" Hakyeon smiled. "I said nothing"

 

******

 

"So..." Wonshik starts when all of them arrived, "Where's Hakyeon hyung?" he asked when he noticed Hakyeon's absence.

"He's not joining us today" Hongbin answered. "He said he's going to the cafe with Minho or something"

All of them nodded as they understands.

"When was the last time he joined us? It's like he's been avoiding us for two weeks" Jaehwan in. It's been more than a week. Hakyeon kept giving them excuses to not join them. Last time he said he's going out with Wongeun. Now he's going to the cafe with Minho. If he really wants to grab tea or something he should just ask them and they would accompany him. They are used to be in six, when one of them is not there he feels incomplete.

"Yeah, come to think of it. He didn't come to my class to bother me anymore" Hyuk add in. Hakyeon love coming to his class just to bother him. He would pinch Hyuk's cheeks while saying "aigoo you're so cute". At the end of the day, his classmates would imitate Hakyeon and make fun of Hyuk. To sum up, Hyuk has lost his coolness because of Hakyeon. "It's a good thing though, not having Hakyeon hyung around", he chuckles.

Hongbin suddenly remembered how Hyuk would complain every time Hakyeon went to his class. Those two would end up fighting later when they met and Hongbin would be the one to stop them. He actually miss how loud their group used to be because of Hakyeon. He think that Hakyeon is annoying but now when he's not there, it's kinda lonely?

 

 

******

 

Hakyeon look around, searching for Wongeun. He's thinking to go to the canteen with Wongeun but the latter is nowhere to be found. He sighs heavily. He's really hungry right now and he'll die if he don't get his food now. Well, literally.

He starts to walk alone heading to the cafe as he gave up in searching for Wongeun. Wongeun can wait but his tummy can't.

He stops his track when he saw Hyuk and Hongbin in front of him. Oh great. Now he can't run away.

Both of them has already noticed him. "Oh, Hakyeon hyung!" Hongbin greet Hakyeon happily. He walks to Hakyeon and hug Hakyeon. Hakyeon push him a little and smile awkwardly. Hongbin always hate it when Hakyeon hugs him so why did he hug him now? He gaze at Hyuk who follows Hongbin not far behind.

"You're going to the canteen? Let's go" he pull Hakyeon. Hakyeon can't even say no as he's already being pulled to follow them. He sighs. Oh great!

"Come to think of it hyung, it's been a long time since I last saw you!" Hongbin exclaim.

Hakyeon roll his eyes, "we met yesterday." He states as matter-of-factly. He is stating the truth. They met yesterday in the washroom and only get to smiled to each other as they needed to go back to their own classroom.

"No hyung" Hongbin giggles, "I mean, when was the last time we get to talk to each other? You don't even responds in our group chat!" Hakyeon kept silent. He wanted to join their conversation in the group chat but didn't do it as he remember how they thought Hakyeon is annoying and so on.

"Yeah, are you ignoring us hyung?" Hyuk finally talk.

Hakyeon didn't answer, he march to the canteen as fast as he can, leaving those two behind. He took two buns and a bottle of banana milk. After paying he take a sit at the corner of the canteen and starts to eat his food.

"Hyung you didn't wait for us!" Hongbin pouts. He put his food on the table and sit in front of Hakyeon. Hyuk follows him.

"I'm hungry" he stated, not looking at them.

"Yeah, everyone too. But usually you would wait for us" Hyuk then sit next to Hakyeon. "Seriously, what's wrong with you? You've been avoiding us"

Hakyeon gulp down his banana milk before talking, "I told you I'm with Wongeun"

"Yeah? For like one week straight? You're going to abandon us now?"

"So what if I want to spend my time with Wongeun?!"

"And what about us? You said we're your friends. Remember our group??"

"It's not like you guys really want me to be there" Hakyeon say in a low voice.

"What?" Hongbin ask.

Hakyeon stands up. He took his bread. "I... You know what? Never mind. See ya"

Hongbin look at Hyuk, asking what really happened. Hyuk shake his head and continue munching his food. 

 

******

 

Hakyeon was watching the TV when his phone suddenly made a loud 'ping' sound, notifying him that he got a message.

He unlock his phone and saw a new message from his group chat, 'friendships'. He smiles looking at their group chat's name. Friendships. If only they appreciate him more like how friends should be.

 

Jung_Leo : so where are we going this Saturday?

 

Hakyeon didn't give a reply. This Saturday. It's his birthday this Saturday. Maybe Taekwoon thinking to celebrate his birthday or something. Well, not that he is important to them. Why would they celebrate his birthday?

 

Hyukhyuk : what about this Saturday?

Leebean00 : It's Hakyeon hyung's birthday you fool

Raveeehhh : it is? :P

Jaehwan-ie : u forgot? Well Hakyeon hyung? What do you want to do this Saturday?

Leebean00 : yeah, since it's your birthday we'll do whatever you want

Hyukhyuk : yeah what about we eat at gopchang restaurant? The one near your house? xD

Jung_Leo : Hyuk you know Hakyeon can't eat gopchang right???

Hyukhyuk : awww come on it's a joke. Though I would be happy if we eat there

Leebean13 : ha ha funny hyuk --

Jaehwan-ie : so, Hakyeon hyung? I know you're reading this

Raveeehhh : or you don't want to celebrate it at all. We would be glad kekekeke

Jaehwan-ie : LOL

Cha_NNN : yeah, let's do that.

Jung_Leo : do what Hakyeon?

Raveeehhh : which one hyung?

Cha_NNN : The one you suggested. Let's not celebrate it guys.

 

Hakyeon tap the home button on his phone. He put his hand phone away and close his eyes. Why does it hurt so much?

 

******

 

"Hyung you know I'm kidding right?" Wonshik ask as he take a sit next to Hakyeon. Hakyeon didn't show that he's mad at him but still, he feels a little guilty.

Hakyeon chuckles as he pat Wonshik's head, "no worries! I know you Wonshik. You and your stupid jokes that hurts me"

Wonshik made a guilty face, "hyunggg..." He reach for Hakyeon's hand and squeeze it lightly. "I'm sorry"

"Never mind!" Hakyeon stands up, pushing Wonshik hands away as he laugh awkwardly.

"So everyone is here?" Hakyeon ask when Taekwoon walk in their hangout place. Everyone nodded.

"Okay. So...." Hakyeon play with his hands. You can do this, Cha Hakyeon.

"I'm sorry for this past few week. I've been acting weird. I know. But anyways" he inhaled and exhaled the air. Trying to let out what he had kept in his heart for one month.

"I'm going to Seoul this Saturday with Wongeun. You guys don't have to trouble yourselves to celebrate my birthday. Just go on with what Wonshik said. Let's not celebrate it at all"

"Hyung you know it's a joke ri-" Wonshik tried to interrupt but Hakyeon cut him off.

"And I've been thinking about this. Let's end our friendship here" he let out a breath, feeling relief. Finally he get to say what he want to say since the day he overheard them.

Though he really love them as a friend. He don't want to be a stuck up. If they are not happy to be his friend then he's not going to force them to do so.

Taekwoon stands up, confused. "What do you mean?"

Hakyeon chuckled. He push Taekwoon to sit back down.

"I know it. Now that I think about it. I'm letting you guys free. I'm going to fulfill your wishes. Taekwoon, I'll stop bothering you. I'll stop annoying you"

Then he turn his face to Hyuk, "Hyogie. You hate that name right? Sanghyuk. I'll stop coming to your class. I'll stop talking to you like how you wish me to"

"Wonshik and Jaehwan" both of them look at him in guilt, "you guys don't have to make a fake laugh anymore. I'm not funny like what you said, right? Besides, Wonshik does not like me"

"and lastly, Hongbin. I'll stop dragging you around. I've known you the longest and to be honest, you're like my real dongsaeng. I adore you so much but didn't know that you actually hate me all this time" he smiles.

"I'm sorry for everything. I had fun with you guys. Thank you so much. Let's do what Hongbin said. Let's stop being hypocrite. Okay?" Hakyeon remove the ring he's been wearing. Their friendship ring they bought three years ago.

"Good bye" he smiles sincerely. Without taking a single glance to them, he pick his bag and walk out of the place.

Good bye, good memories.

 

******

 

 

All of them were too shock with what just happened. They sat in silence before Taekwoon finally spoke. "This is what you guys want, right?"

Everyone turn their head. They feel guilty. Maybe they were too much. They didn't expect Hakyeon to do this. They got too comfortable with Hakyeon that they unconsciously overstep their boundaries.

Taekwoon grab his bag and walk out. He need to search for Hakyeon. He need to say he's sorry. He reach for his hand phone in his pocket and dial Hakyeon's number. Hakyeon didn't answer, making Taekwoon more anxious. He stop walking when he heard a loud scream, "SOMEONE, CALL THE AMBULANCE"

He run following the loud voice and see a woman holding a bleeding guy. He walks approaching them and saw him. Hakyeon.

"It's a hit and run! Faster! Call the ambulance!!!"