I See The Future In Your Eyes

Infinite One-shots & Drabbles Collection

Title: I See The Future In Your Eyes.
Pairing: Hoya/Myungsoo, friendship!Woohyun/Myungsoo, notsoninja!Woohyun/Sunggyu.
Genre: AU, romance above anything else.
Rating: PG.
Word Count: 3084.
Summary: Kim Myungsoo's monochromatic life begins to find more color after meeting Lee Howon, who claims that he sees the future.

~”~

To a certain Kim Myungsoo, life was just as dull as it could get. After ditching his best friend a few weeks ago, Myungsoo had been occupying himself with training, training, and more training. He didn’t want to burden his parents (and other people) more than he already did, so he felt the need to push himself over the limit. This power of his had to be controlled somehow.

He knew, though, that his mind would wander everywhere. But he didn’t mind.



Two days later Myungsoo found himself sheltering from the rain in a small but comfortable bakery. He was initially reluctant to go further into the shop because he was soaking wet, but the person with canine teeth behind the cashier smiled and told him that we don’t mind, that we’re almost done for the day anyway.

So Myungsoo looked around, sometimes stopping at cutely decorated cakes that reminded him of a certain greasy person with an equally greasy smile only to snap out of it and move onto the next one. He settled with a few Danishes, two slices of chocolate fudge and two slices of strawberry shortcake and brought them to the cashier.

Are you going to finish all of this? The guy asked, counting the sum of payment.

Myungsoo glanced up the other man for a second, an eyebrow raised. And that is your business, how?

There was a chuckle, a number of total payments, and a white, Christmas-themed box. I can see the future, the person behind the cashier said instead. Caught off guard, Myungsoo widened his eyes slightly before narrowing them, slamming a few bills onto the counter.

Keep the change, he hissed, crossing the distance to the door in a few long strides, vanishing just like that between sheets of rain and missing the smile playing about the guy’s face.



Weeks later, his parents hired a new dance teacher. When the teacher smiled, those canine teeth were apparent. His name was Lee Howon.

Myungsoo avoided him at any costs.



Sometimes he wondered if Howon had lost his job at the bakery because really, if he was still working there, he wouldn’t be coming to the gymnasium every day. He decided he should ask him himself.

Did you lose your previous job or something, he said as a statement more than a question, and maybe more in a mocking tone which he didn’t really mean to use.

Howon chuckled, and Myungsoo kind of forgot why he talked to him in the first place. Something like that, he replied, the bakery closed down.

Myungsoo felt a bit sorry for him.

But it’s okay, it’s not like everyone didn’t know it’d be closed down soon, there weren’t many customers anyway. Besides, Howon turned and flashed him a smile, I now get to see you every day, isn’t that great?

Myungsoo did feel a bit sorry for him. But not anymore.



The first time they really talked was when Myungsoo’s parents insulted him in front of a whole dancing class – Howon included. Myungsoo was peacefully training in a corner of the gymnasium when his parents came, promptly sending insults towards their son. Useless power, really annoying, until when must we shelter him?

Howon couldn’t believe what he just heard. How could they say things like that? They were his parents, for God’s sake! Though, he was more worried of the younger than angry at the parents. He looked to the corner where Myungsoo was training – only to find it void of anyone’s presence, except the closest open door gave it away. It didn’t take him two seconds before telling his students that class was dismissed and running after Myungsoo.

He found him. In the lockers room, under the furthest showerhead, rains of cold water attacking him, framing his body, making him look like a kid who had lost his way.

If Myungsoo was aware of Howon following him, he didn’t say anything.

Are you okay? Howon asked, getting closer one step at a time.

Shut up, Myungsoo whispered, barely heard above louder sounds of water hitting the floor. You know nothing.

Howon was determined. That’s why I’m trying to know you better. One more step closer. They were only a feet away now.

Myungsoo turned his head to the other direction. No one loves me. The only person who does must hate me now because I left…

Hey, Howon stopped at an arm’s length. Don’t say that.

It’s the truth. Even my own parents hate me. You saw it.

I did. Howon reached and turned off the shower, wrapping the younger in a warm, fluffy towel. But you still can’t say that. I’ll be sad.

The slight turn of Myungsoo’s head let him know that he was asking a silent question of why.

Howon smiled. Because I like you.



Myungsoo was getting ready for sleep, exhausted from yet another day of school and training – school. School was tiring as usual; more so ever since he started avoiding his best friend. He knew he shouldn’t, but he just couldn’t help it, the fear that crept in his heart…

There was a knock on the door. If he could, he’d just pretend to be fast asleep so he didn’t have to open the door for whoever it was behind it. But he sighed, unlocked the door and opened it. Howon was there, looking distraught and helpless. Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows slightly.

Hi, Howon started, voice small and wavering, figure relaxing a bit upon seeing the younger.

Myungsoo studied his face for a few seconds, taking notes of how his breathing was irregular, of how he was sweating, of how he looked very uncomfortable.

What’s wrong?

Howon gave him a tired look, one that certainly said more than any word could have.

I just- I… had a bad dream, so…

He knew the older was lying or at least only telling him half of the truth, but nonetheless, he opened his door wider and stepped aside. Come in.

The look on Howon’s face would amuse Myungsoo if only it weren’t for the situation. After Howon’s ‘confession’ in the lockers room, they’d indeed gotten closer, but not that much closer. Even so, Myungsoo could feel something in his heart. Something like doors being opened to let Howon in.

I told you I could see the future, Howon said on Myungsoo’s bed minutes later, facing the ceiling, eyes looking to somewhere distant – perhaps the future. I saw it earlier. It was… Let’s just say it wasn’t something relatively good.

It caught Myungsoo’s attention. What did you see?

Exhaling softly, Howon closed his eyes, forcing himself to see images of what he saw not an hour ago but when he opened them again, he realized that it wasn’t the perfect time to tell him. Sorry, I… really don’t want to talk about it right now.

Despite of Howon not looking at his direction, Myungsoo nodded. It’s okay, I understand. Go back to sleep.

There was more silence, and Myungsoo would’ve thought Howon had gone back to sleep if he didn’t hear his name being called. Myungsoo?

Yeah?

I’m scared.


This time, Myungsoo turned his head so he could see the older; the outlines of his side profile apparent even in the dark.

Think of me as you want, but I really don’t want to see it again.

He had no choice. He wanted to sleep as he was dead tired but he couldn’t leave Howon alone like that. So Myungsoo shifted, taking Howon’s hand in his own before activating his power. This will help you have a dreamless sleep. So sleep.

Howon, aware of what the younger was doing, faced Myungsoo. Stop it. You’re tired.

So are you. So just shut up and sleep
.

Silence filled the air as Howon didn’t say anything further. Myungsoo was on the border between consciousness and unconsciousness when he felt a brush of fingers against his cheek.

Thank you was the last thing he heard before he drifted into peaceful nothingness.



It was tiring; sometimes he wished he could just give up and run away, but he had determined that it was controlling his power or nothing at all. If he couldn’t control his power, what would be left of him? Surely there must be something better in his future if he kept doing what he was doing…

But he was getting restless. He was worried he wouldn’t be able to make it, to succeed because let’s just admit it; Myungsoo’s parents had so much influence on the city. If he dared to disappoint them more than he already did… The result wouldn’t be so pretty. In the past, he’d go to his best friend and tell him everything that was on his mind, but now, now he wasn’t able to do that simply because it was him who left his best friend without saying anything. The comfort he had was now gone.

Today was no different than any other day. That was, until Howon appeared and dragged him to an amusement park.

I’ve got free tickets so come on, he had said in attempt to persuade Myungsoo to go with him. Myungsoo wasn’t amused though, because he was in the middle of training and he really didn’t like being disturbed while on it.

Mind was changed once they arrived, though.

It was half past six and both of them were tired, but when eyes examined what was in front of them, they were beyond fascinated. Thousands of lights of different colors had begun illuminating every corner of the theme park and the sight itself was like a dream. Captivated, Myungsoo could only stare at his surroundings – children running here and there excitedly, couples holding hands trying to figure which ride they’d try next, families with big smiles that seemed to be etched permanently on their face. It wasn’t like he hadn’t been to an amusement park before, but the fact that he hadn’t been to one in years just didn’t help.

At Howon’s nudge, Myungsoo snapped back to reality.

Let’s go. We’ll make lots of memories together.

They did just that.



Myungsoo didn’t want to call it a date, every time he and Howon went out together. They’d been going out together more frequently lately, and even though Myungsoo always claimed that he had to practice, Howon would always find a way to drag him to places.

(Not that Myungsoo hated it.)

Sometimes he’d even let Howon hold his hand when there was nobody around; something he wasn’t used to but was trying to get used to. He already figured long ago that Lee Howon was a trustworthy person, though there was just something about the older that unsettled him. Every once in a while, Myungsoo’s heart would jump whenever he saw Howon or when they touched. He once thought that maybe he had to run away and avoid him again, but he realized his legs would weaken when it happened.

It was the first summer since he left his best friend…



It happened at a night festival in the vicinity of the gymnasium. Myungsoo was separated from Howon because of the amount of people there, and he just happened to bump into someone while looking for him.

It was Nam Woohyun. His (ex) best friend.

Myungsoo…?

Woohyun-


Before anything was said any more, Myungsoo ran, away from Woohyun and into the crowd, once again leaving his best friend.

It’s not like that, Myungsoo thought, it’s not like that at all. All this while, Woohyun only knew me as a mutant who didn’t even have a power, but once he knows what my power is, he’d-!

Myungsoo!


There was a hand grabbing his arm, immediately stopping him on his tracks. He didn’t turn, but he knew who it was from the voice.

I was looking for you, gosh, don’t go too far from me.

Myungsoo kept his silence.

Myungsoo?

By the time he realized it, trickles of salty water had poured down his cheeks, his chest felt so stuffed suddenly and he was already clinging onto Howon’s arm. He cried silently, and even though people around were staring at him, he didn’t care.

He ended telling Howon everything. How he was born without any power, how his parents treated him like he was invisible, how Woohyun was the only person who treated him nicely, how he was the only person who didn’t mind a powerless (useless) mutant, how they became best friends, how Woohyun meant the world to him, how his parents treated him even worse after his power came to existence, how he found out that his best friend was a mutant as well, how he was scared of getting in his way with his power, how he ditched him because of that fear…

Not saying anything, Howon listened and waited patiently until Myungsoo finished telling him his story. He didn’t know that the boy had so many things he kept to himself. He only knew the younger was lonely, that was why he’d approached him in the first place. He wanted to be the one close to him, the one who took extra care of him, the one who would be beside him no matter what-

I love you.

The fireworks exploded, forming flowers of colors of different shapes in the night air, and if Myungsoo was unable to see Howon’s expression before, he could now. He was serious.

Why…?

I want to take care of you, to protect you. You think the whole world hates you, but you’re wrong. You think your power is useless, but it’s not. I want to show you that the world isn’t as bad as it seems
, the older man said with a smile.

Myungsoo’s heart jumped slightly. Was he worth those dream-like words…?

Howon continued. I told you, I can see the future. The future I see isn’t always flowers and rainbows, and whenever I foresee something bad, I’d wake up and not be able to go back to sleep. He paused, reaching a hand to ruffle Myungsoo’s hair. But you helped me endure times like those. Even when you’re tired, you’ll use your power to negate mine. I feel like I’ve received so much from you, and I just want you to know that I’m really thankful. And by the way, this Woohyun guy doesn’t sound like a bad person. I mean, he’s been friends with you for years. So please, Myungsoo, don’t be scared, it’s going to be okay. I’m right here.

It was amazing; Howon was amazing. Myungsoo couldn’t stop thinking about how he made everything sound simple, or how he’d always have a nice solution to every problem. He was such an amazing person, even though he wasn't that much older than him. How was that even possible?

I love you, Myungsoo. I really do.

His warm smile invited a small smile on Myungsoo’s face, which made the former’s smile grow even wider, showing his canine teeth.

Thank you.

Then their lips met for the first time.



Months later, they adopted a puppy and called him Coco. And apparently a pair of best friends had made up.



Myungsoo started university life in spring. He also started living in the university’s dorm not only because it was practical but also because he wanted to try surviving himself – aside of it being his parents’ wish, of course. It wasn’t too hard, because he had full scholarship so he didn’t have to worry about tuitions and dorm payments. The only thing he had to worry about was Howon, but then again, Howon already had a decent job among other part-time jobs to get by. They didn’t get to see each other that much nowadays since they were both busy, but that was okay. Howon and Coco (sometimes with Woohyun and his older boyfriend Kim Sunggyu) would visit him and spend the night at the dorm every Saturday and go back home on Monday morning when his job wasn’t very demanding. While this routine could be boring, the two of them enjoyed their time together to its fullest, and it nearly took Myungsoo three months after it all started to finally say,

I love you.



He opened his eyes, blinking the sleep away as he took in his surroundings. Beige walls, white curtains, purple sheets – yep, he was at his own house. For a second, he thought he’d wake up in someone else’s room. Messing his already messed hair, he sat up and wondered if it was all just a dream. As he washed up, he thought, a dream couldn’t be that real. But alas, nothing could be done and he couldn’t even remember what his dream was all about.

Walking down the streets to his workplace, he was lost in his thoughts. Why did it feel so real? Why did it feel so long and everlasting? Why did it feel so important? Why, why, why…

He decided that it was going to rain today, because he’d never felt quite like this before.



Work was slow as usual, with one or two loyal customers. His boss was a professional in his younger days, but as he was slowly eaten by his age, he told his employees that the bakery would be closed down soon. Everyone else, expecting or not, shed tears of sadness. He didn’t.

The shop was empty; his co-workers were out to fetch some ingredients that were out of stock. It was pouring outside, nothing too hard but was enough to make you wet from head to toe. He was about to yawn when the door swung open, revealing a young man – wet from head to toe – with black hair and a pretty face.

Something stirred inside his chest. His head throbbed, and flashes of images started appearing in his mind.

Myungsoo.

It finally dawned on him. His dream, it wasn’t just a dream.

As the young man went up to the cashier with his pastries, he couldn’t help but notice how he got only sweet things. Some Danishes, two slices of chocolate fudge and two slices of strawberry shortcake, he smiled, blurting, “are you going to finish all this?”

The young man glanced up at him for a second with an eyebrow raised. “And that is your business, how?”

He chuckled instead of answering the question, saying the total payment while handing the young man his purchase – Christmas-themed, of course. Leaning against the counter, he smiled again. “I can see the future.”



And I saw our future together.