How It Began

We Don't Talk Anymore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

There's a number of words he could use to describe Park Jimin: small, graceful dancer, squeaky laughter, and the likes. But the current phrase Jungkook tags along that name is a cliche one: the one that got away.

No, scratch that. It's the one whom he let get away.

 

 

Jimin was just one of the seniors he first met during his early days at his first dance company. Compared to the other hyungs, Jimin didn't have a commanding personality; in fact, he was really shy. He laughed when he had to, smiled when he had to, but he rarely talked to Jungkook. The younger dancer wasn't sure if that was how Park Jimin was (he was incredibly active whenever he chatted with Jung Hoseok) or if he disliked Jungkook but was being nice about it. He wanted to reach out to his sunbaenim, but the younger one figured it wasn't worth his time.

Everything changed, however, when Jungkook saw him cover Coming of Age in their practice room. 

It was the most graceful thing he had ever seen. Dancing Jimin was a far cry from the shy one he bumped into hallways or attended meetings with. When he danced alone, Park Jimin was like a gazelle out prancing with powerful movements. 

Jungkook was so mesmerized; when it ended, he made a sound.

"Wow."

That caught Jimin's attention.

"Did you...just watch me?"

He saw Jimin's face turn tomato red. 

 "Oh...I'm sorry, was I not supposed to?" asked Jungkook, "I...I just wanted to get my bag." He pointed at the lockers, "But then I saw you dancing and I...I didn't want to bother you." He sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. "It...it was great though. Did you choreograph it by yourself?"

"Yes."

"It's so good," remarked Jungkook, "Is it for a special performance, Jiimin hyung?"

"No, it's just me."

Oh my god, thought the younger dancer, He choreographed that all by himself? He couldn't help but stare at the suddenly shy Jimin. Jungkook was impressed with his senior's skills; part of him was jealous with what Jimin could do. The other part, however, was so fascinated with him. 

Jungkook hesitated, but he gave in.

"Is...it okay if you teach it to me?" he asked, "I know...that sounds weird, but it looked so great. I want to learn it too." 

For a second, Jungkook feared Jimin would refuse.

"Sure, why not?"

 

And that signalled everything else.

 

Practicing with Jimin after regular practices became a habit for Jungkook -- a good one. The first session was incredibly awkward; Jimin often stammered or forgot the steps while Jungkook didn't know what he got himself into. What was he thinking, asking a senior he barely knew to teach him?

But they got through. 

Eventually, they found a comfortable mold in each other's presence. 

 

 

"I'm telling you Yugyeom, he's amazing," Jungkook was saying when his high school best friend dropped by to see him at the cafe in front of the company. 

Yugyeom grinned as he sipped his coffee. "Yeah I know, JK," he replied, "You told me a bunch of times already."

"But seriously, you have to see this guy. The way he moves...it's like he's a mix of a ballet and contemporary god. I don't know why the company doesn't give him more parts. He's so good."

"I'll take your word for it," said Yugyeom, "God Jungkook, I believe you. He's good."

Jungkook raised an eyebrow at his best friend. "What's with the tone?"

"What?"

"Your tone. It's like you're implying something."

Yugyeom's eyes were cocky as he pushed a hand through his hair. "You'll beat me up."

"Say it."

His best friend set his coffee down and leaned forward. "You sound...so whipped," he answered, 

Jungkook was taken aback. "What the hell?" he exclaimed, "What do you mean whipped?"

"C'mon Kookie, it's no secret that you swing both ways," said Yugyeom, "And that's not a bad thing. You know it yourself."

"It's just...have you heard yourself lately?" he continued, "Every conversation we had recently -- Park Jimin is in it. 'Jimin hyung was so great today,' 'I watched this choreo with Jimin hyung and he thinks we should it,' ' I don;t know; maybe Jimin hyung can teach me' -- it's all about him Kookie. At first, I thought maybe you just really look up to this guy, but...I don't know." He  the cream off his fingers. "Is he gay?"

Jungkook ignored the question. "That doesn't mean I'm whipped."

"You're more whipped than whipped cream, my friend," teased Yugyeom, "You just don't want to acknowledge it."

 

 

His best friend's revelation stuck with Jungkook that night. Once he got back to the boys' dorm, he couldn't shake the question off: did he really like his Jimin hyung? Yugyeom was right when he mentioned JK looking up to Jimin, but the other part...all of a sudden, he wasn't sure. 

He was passing by the rooms when a door opened, almost hitting him in the nose. 

"YAH HOSEOK HYUNG STOP THAT!"

 

Park Jimin stumbled out of his room , wearing nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. He obviously just got out of the shower, judging from the water dripping off from his hair. He looked so annoyed as Jung Hoseok's laughter rang out in their room. 

Jimin was about to go in when he noticed Jungkook's presence.

"Oh, hey there," he said casually.

Immediately, Jungkook felt his ears warm up.

"Are...you okay, Jimin hyung?" he asked, "What's going on?"

Jimin shook his head. "Hobi hyung played a prank in the shower," he explained, "It's nothing." He smiled shyly at Jungkook, which made the latter's heart beat rapidly. 

"Hey Jimin, who're you talking to?"

Jung Hoseok appeared by the door, leaning casually and staring at Jimin. It took him a second to realize Jungkook was also there.

"Well, hello there Golden Maknae," he greeted.

Jungkook bowed. "Hello, Hoseok hyung," he said, "I was just about to...go to my room."

"Ah well, I'm so sorry you had to see this," apologized the oldest dancer, a smirk on his face, "Jimin and I were just playing a game gone wrong." Hoseok laughed as Jimin scowled at his roommate and looked at Jungkook apologetically. 

"Sorry, it's always like this in our room," he explained.

"Oh, I see."

Hoseok wrapped an arm around Jimin's chest. "Yes, Jimin and I have plenty of fun."

Jimin pushed his hyung away as Hobi laughed his head off. He glanced at Jungkook again, reminding him of their dance practice after regular sessions. While all of this was happening, Hoseok was playfully tugging at Jimin's towel, which annoyed the latter...and Jungkook.

Eventually, they went inside their room.

On his way back to his room, there was an unpleasant feeling roaring inside Jungkook's chest. He couldn't point at it, but he was really annoyed with the sight of Hobi and Jimin together (and in that bare state). Part of him wanted to shove his Hoseok hyung off; he could've, but he restrained himself. 

Are they dating? he asked himself. 

When he went to bed, he couldn't think of anything but Jimin -- how he looked fresh from the shower, how he smiled embarassedly, and how he asked Jungkook to see him tomorrow. His heart raced, but the memory of Hoseok poking fun at Jimin sort of ruined it.

It was then Jungkook realized Yugyeom might have a point. 

 

There were days when Jungkook was too distracted with Jimin, it got so ridiculous. During regular practices, he'd find himself staring at the senior dancer (who was too busy memorizing the steps), hoping it was already afternoon so they'd spend time. Whenever he spaced out, his brain would think about Jimin and the possibility of him dating his roommate. 

He got annoyed whenever he saw Hoseok and Jimin together. 

But whenever he was alone with Jimin in the practice room, the world was okay again. They didn't just dance anymore; eventually, they started opening up about each other's worries, concerns, and rants for the day. Jungkook learned about Jimin's pet peeves, how loves the dancer Rain, how he'd love to communicate with dogs -- all of that.

When Jimin started offering him bottles of water, Jungkook knew their relationship levelled up. They weren't just colleagues; they were actual friends. And that was a good thing.

But there was still one unanswered question: was he dating Jung Hoseok?

 

One day after rehearsal, Jungkook heard the roommates conversing in the practice room -- something about joining the company's annual dance competition. 

"Besides, Jungkook might not want to enter it --" Jimin was saying.

When he heard his name, Jungkook entered.

"Jungkook might not enter what?" he asked casually, proceeding towards the water and pretendin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter