Part 2

A Guardian's Purpose

Guardian / Weather Bear = Wooyoung

Forest Spirit = Junho

*

When They Met

                Before there were humans the world was filled with more vastness, more life, and spirits wandered freely. Everything felt...free. This was the world in which Wooyoung wandered and grew within. While he had siblings all around the world, related largely by way of his father whom he never met, he only knew one: His sister. Wooyoung was the last cub his mother gave birth to, and this enraged his sister at times.

                “You were an accident. This is why you don’t know where you’re supposed to go.” She would tell him, either scathingly or viciously. It all depended upon her mood.

                Wooyoung didn’t hate her, but he didn’t like her. She unsettled him greatly about who he was, and this feeling was made even worse when he couldn’t feel his purpose. Of all the things his mother engrained into him, his purpose was the most important. It was a fate of a weather bear to find their place in the world. However, no matter much he tried to ‘feel’ for it, he just couldn’t do it. At times when he felt immense self-doubt his sister’s words echoed in his mind.

                The day his sister found her purpose, she gloated endlessly about it and his mother finally witnessed how she treated him.

                “It is not proper of a weather bear to boast about their purpose, dear daughter.” His mother said, surprising them both. “I see you have neglected all of my teachings. I can only hope that the one under your protection does not come to a terrible fate due to your wretched behaviour.”

                “Mother!”

                “No, until you can prove to me that you are worthy of the title Guardian, do not show your face before me. You treat your brother poorly, and while I did not expect you both to get along, you are still both my children.”

                His sister did not handle this confrontation well. “You didn’t even want him! I know he was an accident – you said I was the last one!”

                “But you are not.” She said calmly, but Wooyoung could feel the winds beginning to bellow around her. “How dare you call your brother an accident. This probably isn’t the first time, either. Be gone from my sight.”

                When his sister realised that his mother was serious, and that the winds were becoming more and more fierce, she shot him one last wretched looked and was gone.

                In was instantaneous. The winds stopped and it was just utter silence. Looking up at his mother, he sighed. She looked down upon him and then came to sit beside him. “I hope you can forgive me for not noticing.”

                He shrugged in response. “I could have said something, mama.”

                She shook her head. “No, perhaps I had just hoped that you both would get along. But it’s true...we weather bears have to take care when we are in chaos. If we do not then we impact everything around us. So, remember this well my son, a storm within can surge outside of us.”

                “I will remember.” He said and then leaned against her. “She told me I was an accident and that’s why I can’t feel my purpose.”

                “That is not why you cannot feel your purpose. Sometimes it is just not our time yet. It’ll come, I promise you. Now, let us continue on.”

                While his self doubts did persist, so did his mother’s consolation.

                “You must find your purpose.” His mother told him often. “When you find it, you must hold onto it. We weather bears are amongst the strongest of guardian spirits.”

                “You say that, but I just don’t know if it’ll ever happen. How will I know when I find it, mama?” He asked.

                “Be patient my son. You must be patient. When it is your time, it is your time.” She said tenderly. “You’ll know.”

                He so wanted to understand what she meant. Sometimes it ached deep inside that he couldn’t feel it and he felt desperate about it, but he would be patient. When he felt it was finally his time to leave his mother, she became very emotional, but understood.

                “Remember that more ancient spirits are fickle.”

                “I will.”

                “Remember not to storm too hard when you’re upset.”

                He grumbled, “please stop...”

                “I know it has felt like it will never happen, but sometimes it can take a long time.” She said desperately. “Your...your sister was lucky, that’s all. I’ve never seen a bear get their purpose so fast.”

                This of course made him strengthen his resolve, “it doesn’t matter how long it takes. I know I’ll find my purpose, and it’ll happen when it is meant to.”

                She laughed and hugged him close, “I wish your sister had your aptitude and sensibility.”

                “I will not be like her.” He said and looked out. “I’ll find him, and I’ll be the Guardian that he deserves.”

                “Oh, him huh?” She asked and then sat beside him quietly.

                “Yes...”

                She turned her gaze to the sky. “Be wary of humans. They are young, and they both fear and revere spirits. Their intentions towards us have been changing our world.”

                Many spirits spoke of this now, how they began to sever the ties between this plane and the spirit world.

                “I’ll be careful.” He assured.

                For years he wandered. He observed much during this time, both of spirits and humans. The longer he went and the further he travelled the smaller the world seemed to become. One day, he came upon the most beautiful trees he had ever seen. For a long time, he remained in the forest and looked upon the trees with admiration, and he enjoyed eating the delicious fruit which fell from their branches. Then one day, he met him. The spirit was younger than him but felt so...vast.

                “You like my trees.”

                “Of course.” He replied, like it should have been obvious.

                “I’ve never seen a bear like you before.”

                Grumbling, he said, “I’m a weather bear, Forest.”

                This made him grow large and a sweet, sweet smell wafted everywhere. “You can make rain.”

                Surprised by his statement, Wooyoung found the spirit close to him. “Have you never met a weather bear before?”

                “Never a one.” He said with that same delighted voice. “You’re my very first. Have you met other forest spirits?”

                “None with trees as beautiful as yours.”

                The reaction from the forest spirit surprised him. He grew very, very small, no bigger than his paw and floated serenely in front of him. “Thank you.” He said after a while. There was something about him that pulled Wooyoung in. “Stay for as long as you like.”

                Wooyoung did indeed stay. He came to know this small but wonderful forest very well, and the forest spirit continued to grow his very beautiful trees. He wanted to stay forever. He didn’t know it was possible to feel this greatly for another. Forest gave so much with everything that he did. The wildlife was abundant in his forest and he provided much for other wandering spirits. It was peaceful. That was...until the humans came. Forest was very fascinated by them, but Wooyoung remained aloof.

                “You should be careful of them, forest. Not all humans are kind.” He warned him gently one day.

                “As long as they respect my trees I’m okay with them.” He said back. “I know you have seen much more than I have, but I still want to treat them as any other who comes to my forest.”

                This is what Wooyoung had come to love about Forest. Ever since he met him he just wanted to give. He didn’t care for being given anything, and he never asked doe things either. He never hid himself either. While he was like many other forest spirits, there was something different about him.

                More and more humans began to come over the years, all with a desire for the succulent fruit. They were so demanding. Wooyoung for them rude and invasive but...Forest kept on, even if Wooyoung could feel the distress in his being. He tried to think of something he could do for Forest. The poor spirit was doing so much for others, taking everything they could, and he would just keep giving. Wooyoung wanted to gift him with something.

                Finding himself by a river, looking at the fish making their way upstream, the spirit who resided there came before him.

                “You look weary, Wooyoung.”

                “Yes,” he admitted. “I want to do something for Forest.”

                “Ah, I know the perfect thing.” She said and pointed to the west. “It will take a long time but the most wonderful lake which I flow from resides in the mountains. It is quite the beautiful place, but the water would rejuvenate Forest for sure. Especially water blessed by the lake spirit.”

                “That sounds perfect. Thank you!” He said and began to prepare for the journey.

                Forest became even more troubled as time went on. A strange king had been visiting and made requests of Forest that Wooyoung found disrespectful. He felt anxious to be leaving him alone but Wooyoung wanted to bring him the gift of water from the lake.

                “I’m going to head west for a while.” He said on the day he was ready to depart.

                “Okay.” Forest said simply.

                Wooyoung knew he would never ask him stay, but he so hoped he would. “Is there anything you’d like for me to bring back?”

                This made Forest very surprised, “I...no.”

                “Will you be lonely without me?”

                “I know you don’t like humans.” He said instead. “I’ll be okay.”

                Leaving was hard, and it felt wrong for many days. However, Wooyoung had a goal. The journey took two weeks. He heard many stories about Forest. Humans spoke of him highly and he saw some of the fruit even at such a far distance. He saw how humans enjoyed it, but he also saw how much it twisted them. Humans had currency and made others pay for their goods. What was most appalling to him were the instances in which people fought over the fruit. His Forest would not like this.

                The lake was just as beautiful as the river spirit had said. It was nestled high in the mountains, and he overlooked a sleepy valley. There were no trees. It felt odd.

                “Greetings, weather bear.” The lake spirit greeted.

                “Hello, lake spirit. I am sorry to disturb you. I have come a long way to ask if I might be able to gift some of your water to a very generous forest spirit.”

                “Ah, the forest in the east? The one with the desired fruit?”

                “Yes, that very one.”

                “I have never heard of such a selfless forest spirit in all the years I have existed.” The lake spirit said and produced a beautiful container. “I would feel most grateful to provide you with water for your forest anytime, weather bear.”

                Blushing, Wooyoung accepted the container of water. “He is very important to me.”

                “Yes, to have come all this way, you are very dedicated to him.”

                Feeling the winds picking up, Wooyoung looked up as the sky spirit he often spoke with descended. “Guardian, have you heard the stories?”

                Wooyoung shook his head. “No, what stories?”

                “Your forest...a human has taken him.”

                Looking east, he ran. He ran and ran for days. He saw the smoke long before he saw his Forest and he just hoped – he hoped it wasn’t him. When he finally arrived...nothing was left. The trunks were nothing more than charred remains. The ground was still hot as Wooyoung searched for him frantically. He couldn’t stop himself. For days, he couldn’t stop the rain. It felt so heavy to feel nothing from Forest at all.

                When he began to lose hope, Min-Jun came down. “I...I know where he is, come with me.”

                It broke his soul.

                Forest was nothing more than a pile of rich earth. For a long time he lay beside the dirt in the hopes that something would arise from the earth, but nothing. Anger began to fill his body and mind. It began to fester and strengthen. He arose from his place beside what remained of Forest and went to the edge boundary of what remained of the trees. He halted and looked upon the path created by humans. Looking back, he turned and began to walk in the direction of the place human’s made their residence. Coming to the cliff overlooking the human city, he sat down. Dark clouds rolled in above. He looked over their large structures, and the anger transformed into a gale within him. He knew he shouldn’t, but it hurt so very much.

                The rain grew heavier, and thunder and lightning came. The humans tried to leave, they tried to run away, but he was not the only one who was angry. Spirits who had been taken care of by Forest, who had come to heal amongst his trees, who he had helped, were furious, too. They surrounded the human town and altogether they unleashed their fury upon them.

                It was the first and last time he took revenge upon humans.

                The great spirits could have punished them, but they didn’t.

                “Let this be a lesson.” They said instead. “Humans are not our friends.”

                When Wooyoung returned to the remains of Forest, he brought forth the canister of water and poured it over him slowly. When it was all gone, he lay down beside him. He would no longer identify with his human name. He would never leave Forest’s side again. He would never make the same mistake. He was Guardian.

 

Healing

 

                It took many years, much patience, but soon Forest could make his form. He often depended on Guardian to get around, but he didn’t mind. Grasses had begun to grow, as well as berries, and much more. Forest grew stronger but he remained in a delicate state. He was quiet and sometimes denied himself water. Most worrisome, he refused to grow trees. He refused to grow the very thing that he was.

                “If you don’t grow trees you will disappear.” Guardian said to him, worried.

                “I don’t want to grow them.” He said weakly. “Not here.”

                “Well I...I can’t lose you. You’re my purpose.” He said desperately. “So where do you want to go?”

                “Your purpose..?” Forest asked and looked upon him. “I don’t deserve such devotion. I haven’t deserved everything you have done for me...since...”

                “Don’t speak of it.”

                Forest curled up on himself and grew even smaller. “No one came to help me. The human locked me up because I wouldn’t let him own me. You were so right!” Forest cried and became even smaller.

                It terrified Guardian. It was almost as if he would disappear. “I should’ve never left you. I just...I just wanted to bring you something, and I should have waited. I’m so sorry, Forest.”

                Forest said quietly, “you came back to me, and you have never left my side since. This was not your fault. It was mine...all mine.” He said brokenly. “I should hate them...but I don’t. I’m terrified but I can’t bring myself to hate them. Was it so wrong...was it so wrong to want to share with humans?”

                Years ago, when the feelings were still very raw, Guardian would not have hesitated in his answer, he would have said yes without hesitation. But now, after everything he had been through, after everything he witnessed Forest experiencing, his dear Forest still cared for them. While he didn’t want to, he wanted Forest to be who he was and to care for who he wished. So, it was not his responsibility to decide for Forest how he should feel, but the least he could do was assure him that Forest could share with the humans if he so desired. He would protect him. “How do you feel about them?” He asked instead.

                Forest began to hover in the air. “I know they are all not that bad. I know you don’t agree, and the ancient and great spirits also don’t, but I have seen the goodness in them.”

                Guardian nodded, “I know you have. So what does it matter if we don’t? I would stand up for you regardless of what I thought, because your happiness is important to me.”

                This caused Forest to be speechless for a while. He grew some, which pleased Guardian. “Well I...I can’t grow here. It’s too painful.” Forest said quickly after a while.

                “Come to me, Forest.”

                Slowly but surely, he floated closer to him.

                “You are allowed to still care for humans.” He said with understanding. “It doesn’t matter what the rest of us think. But you must remember what they are capable of, do you understand?”

                “I do...”

                “They could still hurt you. They will.”

                Forest surprised him by growing large. For the first time in a long time, and he hugged Guardian close. “I know.”

                “Only you can decide what feels right. You are a forest. You are meant to give.” He said and closed his eyes. “I will protect you.”

                “You have done so much for me. I don’t deserve so much.”

                “You deserve everything. I will give you rain, sun, wind, I will give you whatever you need. I am your Guardian. You are my Forest.” He swore as he came to sit up. “You are my Forest.” He repeated, but with more emotion, and more warmth.

                For the first time in a very long time, Forest began to smell of sweetgrass. “May I ask a favour?” Forest said shakily.

                Guardian was filled with happiness. This was everything that he wanted. Forest was finally asking something of him. “Of course.”

                “Will you...” Forest grew small. “Will you bring me to where the lake is? The place you went to retrieve water from and saved me with...”

                “Yes.” Guardian thought of the valley instantly. He knew exactly what he needed to do. “I also know a place where you can grow your trees and feel safe.”

                Forest perked up then. “You do?”

                “Yes.” He rose up. “Shall we leave this place now?”

                Forest nodded, “I so want to leave.”

                And, they did.

                As Guardian walked the same path he did all those years ago. They spoke to many other spirits on the way, some being ones who participated in the attack on humans with Guardian. They bid them good tidings in their new life. When he came to the lake, the spirit took Forest with him into the water and filled him with so much goodness. He finally looked like he was at peace, finally. He looked like he could breathe, that he had life again.

                “Take my waters for rain anytime, Guardian.”

                “Thank you, I will.”

                When they came to the valley, Forest grew very excited. He flew off down the mountainside and began to sprout little plants as he went. It was so very good to see.

                The land was vast and rich here, and Forest spread himself as far as he wanted. It wasn’t long until Forest really began to heal.

                “Guardian, come.” He said, excited. “Give me your paw.”

                Doing as told, he rested his paw over Forest’s hand. He felt a pull in his body and immense warmth. A soft green glow formed under their joined paw and hand and sunk into the earth. Forest gripped his paw and came to sit beside him.

                “The first little one.” Forest said.

                A tiny sapling sprout from the earth.

                Guardian felt overwhelmed. He had wanted to see this for so long. Bringing Forest close to him, he couldn’t resist nuzzling him. “Show me more.” He encouraged.

                Forest did. He showed him so much. He grew so much and filled the valleys and lands with his trees and plants. He attracted all kinds of gentle spirits. He inspired so many. He grew so much goodness.

                “You know...” Forest said one day. “You know I can do this because you love me so much, right?”

                Guardian became so overwhelmed with emotions he didn’t know how to express himself. The weather went on the fritz and Forest got him dancing with him in a downpour as lightning raced across the sky.

                “Oh, so this is what happens when I get you flustered.” Forest , holding Guardian tightly to his body.

                It was the first time in a very long time that they both took their human forms. It was a form of healing for both of them, but in different ways. Dancing amongst Forest’s trees, amongst all the life he created, some they had created together, Guardian felt that vastness – the deepness of his feelings for Forest. Bringing him closer to him, he whispered, “I do love you very much.”

                Forest’s eyes became a lovely purple-yellow, a colour Guardian had never seen before, and it reminded him of some very precious flowers that Forest grew in a secret place just for them. This was just for him. Then Forest said something that made him fall all over again. “I want to create more with you.”

                There was no greater way Forest could have expressed his love for him. Guardian took great pleasure in showing Forest just how much those words meant to him. The following day there was so much green, so much growth. The air itself seemed purified and so many other spirits were celebrating.

                “My weather bear, see what you and I can do together? I never want to be apart from you. We give so much together...”

                Guardian was so proud, but he knew this was all Forest. If he made it possible for Forest to become so vast, then everything was right. His Forest was healthy and happy. That was what was most important to him.       

 

A New Village

 

                “Forest.” He said one day as they made their way along through the growing trees.

                “Yes?”

                “There is a small group of humans who have come.” He said softly. “You haven’t said anything but I know you know they’re here.”

                Forest gripped his fur. “I don’t want many to live here.”

                “You must be the one to say this. I cannot do it for you.” He said.

                It was days before Forest worked up the courage. He shifted into his human form. “Stay as a bear, but never leave my side.”

                “I won’t.”

                They came to the small little village. An elderly woman came to meet with them. “My, my...” She said. “I never thought I would ever behold you with my own eyes.”

                “You know of me?”

                “Husband! Bring the scroll!” She called and then sat before him. “You are the forest spirit who once lived in the east.” She said surprising them both.

                “How did you know that?”

                An elderly man came with a scroll. He smiled and bowed deeply, then handed her the scroll.

                She unrolled it and Forest backed into Guardian. On the roll was a drawing of Forest in human form, when he was much younger. “My great-great-great grandmother...she met you when she was a young woman. She was known for her art. The...the same king who sought your trees and fruit also adored her work. This drawing was done for him, but she never gave it to him.” She said and then bowed deeply. “She spoke of your trees, and this story has been passed down from generation to generation. We swore to protect this artwork until we were able to show it to you, and...to apologise to you.”

                Forest began to tremble.

                Guardian nudged him.

                “Apologise?” He asked quietly.

                She did not look up. “For the burning. For what was done to you.” She said with immense sadness, and both humans bowed even lower. Other villagers had come out and did the same. “You saved my ancestors, forest spirit. When they were going hungry, you gave fruit and much more to my ancestor. We were also saved by the spirits who removed the vile king from the land and destroyed his city. We knew it was punishment for what happened to you.”

                Forest gripped Guardian’s leg tightly.

                “We know we live amongst your trees again. If you wish for us to leave, we will.”

                “You would?” Forest said quickly.

                “Yes. This is your forest.”

                “No...you may stay.”

                Both of the elderly humans looked up in surprise. “We do not deserve such kindness.”

                Guardian nudged him.

                “You may live here, but I will not suffer the same pains again. Take only what you require, and if you need other things...just tell me. The land here is rich, and you are very welcome to it. However, respect my trees, the land, and the waters. Respect that spirits live here and around you. You cannot live without us.” He said without pause and Guardian was very proud.

                “Thank you. We appreciate that we can remain here and that we can live with what we need.”

                The humans were good. Guardian expected them to turn into vile things sometimes, but as elders passed and others took their place, they remained respectful. The village grew some and they held a large celebration honouring Forest every year.

                A wonderful carver was born into the village, and when he was old enough and proud of his craft, he created the most elaborate shrine for Forest. It went without saying that Forest loved it. The carver was also the first human Forest was physically intimate with. The ancient and great spirits of course didn’t like this, and Min-Jun the sky spirit warned him if Forest kept on they would have to act, but Guardian wanted to continue seeing Forest happy. It was the first time Forest had found a kindred spirit amongst the humans. Guardian wanted him to have that feeling for as long as possible. Even if this was the only human in all their lifetime, or if another came, he wanted him to have this.

                The forest and village began to co-exist in different ways after this, and Guardian could never think of their union as a bad thing. Guardian came to know the carver very well, and was present when he was nearing the end of his life.

                “I’m sure you didn’t like me very much.” The carver laughed. “But, you’re a very important friend to me, Guardian.”

                “I liked you, more than most other humans.” He admitted and looked over him slowly. “You’ve taught me many things.”

                “I feel most fortunate. You let me into your lives.”

                When the carver passed away Forest grew very sad, but he kept strong, too. Guardian also felt the loss. It seemed both long and short at the same time.

                The man had requested that instead of being buried, for Forest to turn him into a tree. Guardian would never deny that the man had genuinely loved Forest. He also became a very beautiful tree. Mushroom spirits adored the tree, just as the man enjoyed them very much in life.

                “How can someone with such a short life make such beautiful things?” Forest asked, looking over his shrine.

                “As you say, they are amazing sometimes.” Guardian said.

                This got Forest looking upon him, contemplatively. Then he said tenderly, “Thank you...for letting me love a human.”

                Flustered, Guardian turned away. “You don’t need permission from me to experience these things. It isn’t like spirits and humans haven’t and do not make unions.”

                Forest sighed and Guardian felt something from him he had time and time again. “I’m...very fortunate to have you, Guardian. I know I do strange things – not like other spirits, but-”

                “You are not strange. This is just who you are.”

                “No, let me finish.” Forest was laying against his back. “You and I have been through so much together. I...I felt like I had been waiting for you, and then you stayed with me all these years – even with my silliness. I know we will never fade...but I guess losing him just made me scared. It made me think of when I had almost given up, and the lengths you went to keep me here. You’re so very important to me, I hope you know that.”

                Guardian lowered his head. “You know I know that...” Forest showed him in many ways how important he was to him.

                “I’m serious. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you.”

                Shifting, for the first time in a long time, into his human form, Guardian took hold of Forest’s hands. “If you need more physical affection and intimacy you don’t have to do it in this roundabout way.” He said boldly. “I won’t lie that I’ve missed it.”

                Forest was blushing deeply and looked over him with those beautiful eyes he hadn’t seen in decades. “Well, I have too, but I’m serious. You’re so important to me.”

                Guardian hugged him tightly and slowly Forest shifted into his tiny spirit form. “You are so very important to me, too, my precious Forest.” He said after a while. “Take your time healing, as you always have. Let yourself feel what you need to, I’ll always be by your side. Even if one day we do fade, we’ll always be together no matter what.”

                While he remained vigilant and distrusting of humans, Forest taught him that carrying these feelings only caused distress. It helped neither of them to carry these very negative feelings. So, he contemplated the humans instead with caution and distance as he did when he first left his mother. While he could never be as vast as Forest, Guardian experienced growth and much due to Forest. Forest told him all the time, “you helped me grow this vast. I could never have created so much without you.” He tried to reciprocate the sentiments and feelings in any way he could. Forest deserved so much love.

                After some time, the villagers began leaving him offerings, and then people and spirits from everywhere started to do the same. They cherished him in many different ways. They also came with their hopes and pains to the shrine, and Forest helped them in his many strange ways, or he would turn them in the direction of who would help them better. Guardian loved him so much. He didn’t think he could hold this much love for another, after all the time they had been together. But then, he would remember his mother’s words from all those many centuries ago.

                “You must find your purpose. When you find it, you must hold onto it.”

                Sometimes Forest made him feel so desperate, that he needed to show him just how much he cared. While he was teased sometimes, Forest always gave in and gave him just as much back. He was sure Forest took advantage sometimes and made him desperate on purpose.

                “Why do you do this to me?” He would ask on occasion.

                “I...just want all of that passion directed solely at me.” He would admit bashfully.

                Guardian of course responded, "It is always dirested at you, silly Forest. Only you are who I wish to give all my passion."

*

Part 3 is in the works and will be the final chapter! So fast! Need to get back to LMPY :3 Thank you for commenting and subscribing!