Part 1

A Guardian's Purpose

This Part has similar scenes in the ending of Part 2 and the beginning of Part 3 of Let Me Paint You. I do recommend reading those before reading this part just to curb some confusion. Part 2 and 3 for this side story can be read independently.

Guardian / Weather Bear = Wooyoung

Forest Spirit = Junho

Do enjoy! And please check out other stories in the 2PM Brighter Days! Festival :)

*

                Sitting atop the west-facing mountain, watching as the sun began to descend into the distance, the large bear watched silently. He could never tire of the sunset over the mountains and treetops. The heat of the long summer day had finally begun to dissipate in the valley.

                Hearing soft footsteps, he didn’t have to turn to see who it was. The tenderness of his Forest he would know anywhere. Soft hands curled into his fur and slowly his Forest spirit came to lean into him. He felt tired. He always did after hot days, even more so when there had been a fire. He grunted at the memory of the pesky human staying in Hwang’s house.

                “You’re still mad about him.” Junho chuckled.

                Nudging him away from him he kept his gaze fixed on the darkening sky.

                “Please don’t push me away...”

                Turning quickly, he huffed and snorted. “You brought him to the waterfall.

                Junho looked surprised, but then was flushing. “Oh? You said you didn’t care.”

                Recalling their conversation from a couple days before, he grumbled, “You’re becomin’ attached to him.”

                This of course caused Junho to become nothing more than his small, delicate spiritual form. A stirring of emotions filled him upon seeing Forest like this, he was just so precious. The small hovering little green being slowly came to rest against the earth.

                “A silent place has been stirring since you brought him to the waterfall.”

                Forest nodded, “I know.”

                Becoming anxious, Guardian moved so that Junho could lean against his leg. “I just want you to be careful. I’ve seen what happens to you when you become attached to them...”

                Junho slowly pulled himself up and sat himself between Guardian’s legs. “I’m being cautious.”

                This of course made him snort. It wasn’t that he got bad feelings from Taecyeon the human. He just didn’t want Junho to get hurt. Humans had such short lives after all. “He is quite funny sometimes.

                Junho – his beautiful forest spirit – grew into his bigger form then and emanated such warmth.

                Resting his head on top of Junho’s, Guardian sighed. “He makes you happy. I can tell. You smell of sweetgrass every time you return from him.”

                Junho turned into him then and buried his face into his fur. “Don’t say that.”

                “As long as you are happy, I am happy. I’ll always protect you.

                Junho held his face gently and began to hum and waft sweetgrass everywhere. “You protect me so well.”

                He did now. He saw what happened to Forest after being taken advantage of by humans and other spirits. He would never let it happen again.

                “Go say goodnight to your human.”

                He shifted into his ‘human’ form and grinned up at him. “You make me happiest!” He cheered and then vanished, leaving Guardian with overwhelming feelings.

                “And you call your human a brat.” He said and then felt giddy. While he still had reservations about Taecyeon the human, there was no denying how happy he made Forest. The human listened and respected Forest’s wishes. It reminded him of humans from their past.

                As darkness descended, the wind began to pick up a little.

                “I see you are taking care of your forest very well, Wooyoung.”

                Turning sharply, he eyed the temperamental sky spirit. “Min-Jun.” He greeted. “I didn’t expect a visit from you for another decade...”

                “I heard the whisperings of our dear forest being quite taken with a human.”

                Bearing his teeth, he immediately composed himself. “As usual gossip amongst spirits never fails.

                Min-Jun laughed, “Oh come now, I know you don’t like it whenever he gets close with them, especially after everything humans have done.” Guardian didn’t say anything and kept a levelled stare upon him. “Alright, alright, I care for him too, Wooyoung. We’ve both seen what humans have done to him in the past.”

                Guardian rose up on hind legs and aimed a paw at him, “don’t you dare forget what spirits have also done to him, Min-Jun. You included.”

                Min-Jun shifted into his airy spiritual form. “I know...”

                Growling low, Guardian sat back down. “What do you want? I know you were the one behind the lightning strike this afternoon.

                “I wanted to see what the human would do.” Min-Jun said simply. “You put the fire out pretty quickly, weather bear.”

                “How dare you?!

                Min-Jun sighed and looked up. “I’m not who you have to watch out for this time.”

                “I know what will happen if you’re told to act. The human is harmless.” He defended.

                Min-Jun looked surprised. “Oh, so you’re protecting him? That’s not like you.” He said and looked down into the sleepy valley.

                Guardian didn’t say anything more. In fact, he’d had enough of this prying sky spirit. Min-Jun wasn’t all bad, and Wooyoung had known him far longer than Junho, but he more than anyone respected the wishes of more ancient spirits, and very strictly.

                “Just...” Min-Jun paused and began to change back into air. “I just don’t want to see him get hurt. You know what we are bound by, Guardian. I have been seeing humans near the dead tree.”

                Guardian snapped his attention back to the forlorn looking sky spirit. “Are you sure they’re human?”

                Min-Jun nodded, “Although, I do suspect something deeper. Tell your lovely deer to up the patrols.”

                With that, the sky spirit vanished completely and darkness descended. First the silent place and now humans were mucking around where they shouldn’t be.

                “Ah, I left and you were feeling so lovely. Now you’re...what’s wrong?” Forest held his fur gently and looked upon him sadly.

                “Min-Jun...”

                Forest’s face scrunched up, “oh.”

                Feeling a little lighter he nudged Junho. “Come and rest, no wandering far tomorrow.”

                Hearing his Forest laugh...he stood still and looked back. He was illuminated by the rising moonlight and his eyes were the colour of earth.

                “What’s so funny?” He asked.

                All he got was a shake of his head and Forest smiling at him. “You’re hiding things from me. I remember the last time you did that to protect me...”

                “I wish not to tell you right now. Perhaps tomorrow after you’ve rested.”

                Forest scoffed then, “I wasn’t going to but you...you’re overbearing with your protectiveness of me, Wooyoung.”

                Shifting to his human form he stood toe to toe with Junho. “I hate being called that. And you’re teasing me!” He was not going to let that pun about him go.

                Forest leaned closer to him and cupped his chin, “I can think of sometimes you love hearing your name.”

                Face growing hot, he tried to scowl but Forest was in his arms and shifting into his spirit form. He was like a small ball of warmth and filled with such good energy. This was Guardian’s most favourite feeling from him, and Forest always shared it with him. Forest was so precious to him, and he so desperately wanted this happiness to stay. Feeling him finally succumb to sleep, a great sigh fell over the forest and he turned back into a bear. With Forest nestled safely upon his back he began to walk into the deepest part of the forest, to the resting place.

*

                Waking, Guardian felt the same stirring in the forest he had for many days now. The silent place was active. For some reason it had felt subtle. Rushing out, he felt Taecyeon the human being pulled. Coming to the silent place, he made it just in time and hauled the human back. He felt furious that the silent place would call this human in particular. The silent being stood behind Taecyeon.

                “Why do you stop us, father bear?”

                “You can’t take this one.” He said angrily. “You know that Forest has strong feelings for him.”

                “Why are you okay with Forest becoming so close with another human?”

                “Because I do not own him. Nothing will break us apart, you know this.”

                “I don’t speak bear!” The human finally yelled.

                “We do not like the humans.”

                “I know you don’t, but Forest is generous and not all humans are the same!” He growled.

                The deer appeared at Taecyeon’s side and the silent being shot back and jumped into the clearing. Feeling Forest’s hand at his back, Guardian watched Taecyeon the human sit up.

                “Junho, what happened?” Taecyeon asked.

                “Are you able to stand?” Forest asked.

                Guardian could feel the anger and desperation reeling off of him. He hadn’t wanted to disturb him while he slept, he knew he could handle the silent place.

                “I...” Taecyeon looked troubled. “Did I do something wrong?”

                “I wish he could understand me. When are you going to give permission to make him aware so he stops with these silly questions?”

                Forest slapped his leg and gave him an affectionate look.

                Guardian grumbled though, “I know you want to.”

                “I do, but not yet.”

                This surprised him. But he stayed silent while Forest handled his human. He went to kneel before him. “What did you dream of?”

                “I dreamt...” Taecyeon the human paused, “of my dad. It was raining...just like...” He trailed off and refused to meet their gazes.

                “I’m sorry we were almost too late.” Forest said as he sat beside the human. He then pat the ground beside him and looked at him expectantly.

                “You were almost late. I managed to make it to save your human. He should be thanking me.”

                “Come on, you still saved him.” Forest said out loud on purpose.

                The human gawked at him, “he didn’t want to?!”

                The deer sighed this time, “We’ll be there soon.”

                “You...” Forest began slowly, carefully. “You are carrying your grief, like a shadow.”

                Guardian kept his composure. They both had many personal experiences with this, but Forest especially. He saw so many humans go through the same thing, and it was hard each time.

                “You buried the doll...but you weren’t ready. You are not ready to let him go, but if you don’t...” Forest paused, but then said clearly, “you’re never going to heal.”

                Guardian didn’t think the human would handle this conversation. He had been carrying heavy feelings ever since he arrived, and when he buried the sweetgrass charm, he did not give off the air of someone who was ready.

                “What do you know?!” He snapped, and looked very angry. “You don’t know anything about me – we’re nothing more than strangers.”

                Guardian felt more then saw the immense pain that the human had just inflicted on Forest.

                “You don’t have the right to-

                He shifted into his human form and couldn’t help it, he slapped him. Both Taecyeon and Forest were shocked. “You pathetic humans are all the same.” He couldn’t help but hiss. How dare he say this to Forest after what he had been sharing with him. He knew they hadn’t known one another very long, but this was ridiculous. “Carrying your pain and your darkness wherever you go, making it your crutch so you can be horrible – even to those who have been kind to you.”

                “W-

                No. This human did not deserve to know his name. He shifted and roared. He would make up for it later, but he was not letting Forest coddle this human. Looking over him once more he turned and stalked through the forest. Thunder began to rumble overhead and he wanted to do this away from the village. Forest would be angry at him if he ruined Taecyeon’s day with his other humans. He walked and walked until he was back at the cabin. He was so irritated with himself that he was here. Taecyeon was with Chansung now. Forest was walking back towards him, tired.

                Watching Forest shift, he balled up on Guardian’s back.

                “He’ll be okay.” Guardian assured.

                “He lost his father.”

                “So be gentle with him when he returns.” He said and saw Chansung looking at him. “He has to process things on his own time. I believe that’s why he is out here.”

                Walking along, Guardian noticed the deer come up alongside him.

                “I’m sorry about this.”

                “Not your fault...” Forest said.

                “I think some distance is in order, no?

                “Yes.” Forest said without hesitation.

                “It will be. Please take care in the heat.”

                “Where would you like to go?” Guardian asked as they began climbing high up the mountain.

                “You’re already going there...” Forest said, shifting to his human form, and slowly came to rest his head on Guardian’s and his arms around his neck.

                The lake was very cooling as Guardian walked into it. Shifting into his human form as well, he turned so he could hold Forest close to him. “Junho...” He soothed quietly, catching his attention more fully. “Focus on me.”

                There was that wonderful smile. “I’ve been craving you for days...” He said softly. “I’m really thirsty.”

                Smiling in return he flicked water on his face. “How much do you need?”

                “Only a little bit.”

                Kissing him deeply, Junho’s tender arms tightened around him. “Be honest.”

                Hearing that lovely laughter, he lifted him and brought him to the beach. “I already said I’m really thirsty!” He huffed with his teasing smile. “Are you trying to make me desperate?”

                “That’s what you do best.”

                Seeing those lovely purple-yellow eyes always got him excited.

                “Pretty eyes.”

                Junho groaned, “these are only for you.”

                "Good."

*

I very much enjoyed writing 'Taecyeon the human' as if Wooyoung was saying it with annoyance, so I hope you read it that way lol

Next part will be out next Saturday.