Part 3

A Guardian's Purpose

A/N: I'm sorry for the delay. Slowly trying to get back into writing amidst all the busy. I hope you enjoy!

Warning: There is some sensous content in this chapter. Nothing explicit.

*

Hwang

            “Their village is so big now.”

            Guardian looked up at Min-Jun. “I’m told it isn’t nearly as big as the towns that they are building far away.

            “No, there are more and more humans now. Many spirits are beginning to hide themselves, shielding their places from human eyes.” Min-Jun said as he took a seat beside him. “The humans here are gentle. What was the family name again – the ones who drew your Forest?”

            “He isn’t mine.” He grumbled.

            “Right, right, right, calm down.” Min-Jun chuckled.

            “Lee.”

            “Ah yes, the Lee family, they were very kind people.”

            Sighing deeply, Guardian looked down at Forest as he played with younger tree spirits. “They are kind people, Min-Jun. Their long family line still lives in the village.

            “Wasn’t the carver a Lee?”

            “No, he was a Jang. Their family has since passed on.

            A long silence passed between them. Becoming irritated with the bugs, Guardian huffed but then a breeze built up.

            “I have been told that there is a Gathering being planned.”

            Snorting, Guardian rested his head on his paws. “Forest dislikes those. He hasn’t gone to one in well over a thousand years.”

            “Has it been that long?”

            Guardian glanced up at Min-Jun. “Were you there, sky spirit? It was his first one and I remember not being able to make it. After all this time he still will not tell me.”

            “You’ve asked me before and I have respected Forest’s strong demand that I never tell you.” He said, with one eye open. “What I can say is there are many who are envious of the love he gives and the love he receives.” He said softly. “He is very loved, not just by you.”

            “I know that.” He said with fondness. He wanted to see more appreciate Forest for everything that he has and did for others. He deserved more love.

            “Oh, nothing ever makes you jealous, does it? Many are also envious of the love you give him.”

            Not being able to withhold a growl, he sat up. “Spirits know the dedication of weather bears.”

            Min-Jun nodded, “Aye, they do. But you are different, Wooyoung.”

            Anger filled him but before he could speak, Min-Jun gave him a mysterious look.

            “You are more than a weather bear. You are that and something else. You only know of your mother, correct?”

            “Please do not pry into my life.” He grumbled and looked away.

            “You must want to know.”

            Shaking his head, he met Min-Jun’s gaze strongly. “When the time comes that is when I will know.”

            “You also know Junho is more than a forest spirit.”

            “Min-Jun, I have known him for most of his life. What makes you think you can rattle me with these statements? What are you trying to get at?” He asked and became unnerved.

            “I just think it is quaint what you both have, and have had for all these years.”

            Sensing something in the air, Guardian caught a whiff of smoke. His paws also felt hot, but it was only for a brief second. “If I discover that you are plotting something with other spirits, Min-Jun

            “I would never let either of you come to harm.” He said and raised both of his hands. “I just wonder how you can be so content, that’s all.”

            Taking a deep breath, Guardian looked over the meddling sky spirit cautiously. “His roots go deep here. Unlike you, he cannot up and move, and we do not need another incident which would spur that kind of situation. You are the wind, Min-Jun. We are not like you.

            “I think he has become too dependent upon you.”

            Not being able to resist laughing, Guardian sent a glare his way. “Be gone from me, and I warn you, Min-Jun, do not mess with me.”

            The sky spirit said no more and vanished into thin air. It unsettled him.

            Feeling little tendrils of gentle energy, he looked down upon the small sapling spirits. They were spindly and green, and were laughing as they came to rest against him. Looking up as Forest came to kneel before him, he sighed. He tried to be calm, but Min-Jun had planted the seed of fear. Guardian could handle humans, now. While there were many gentle and kind spirits, those who came and shared with them, respected Forest and were also generous...Guardian knew of those who were not. He knew of the ones who hated Forest and himself. He had to know.

            “Even the little ones aren’t helping your sour mood.” Forest said gently.

            It was not a question he ever wanted to ask, but he had to. He knew Forest would never show his anger or his fear to him, but he had to ask.

            “If something was to happen to me, Forest, and I could no longer protect you, what would you do?

            It was instantaneous. Forest’s eyes went a vibrant yellow, almost orange.

            Each of the little saplings pressed closer to him and were full of fear.

            “Why do you ask me this?”

            “Just answer me.”

            Forest’s energy became prickly and sticky, and began to smell of tree sap. “I dislike it very much when Min-Jun visits you now, and when he speaks with me.” He said and Forest brushed his hand along his head. “His conversations have been unsettling me lately.”

            Sighing, he relaxed some.

            “I would protect you.”

            The resolve and the strength behind both Forest’s words and in his gaze sent shivers down Guardian’s spine.

            “Even against fire.”

            Shifting and rising up he brushed his hand against Forest’s cheek. “I’m beginning to dislike his visits, too.” He admitted and kissed Forest’s forehead. “I know he gave me a warning for something. I do not like this feeling.”

            Forest hugged him close. “Wooyoung...” He said quietly and then he was gripping him tightly.

            He felt it too, he felt the sharp pains.

            “My...my trees.” Forest gasped and shifted quickly and took off.

            Running after him, Guardian watched in horror as a tree fell. This was not a place the humans were allowed to cut trees. Four more fell by the time he arrived. He came to look upon a man he didn’t recognise. This wasn’t a human of any of the village families. Forest was in full spirit form, keeping the human’s saw from moving. The man was pale as the clouds as Forest stared him down.

            Watching as the human fell back, Guardian made to move forward, but Forest waved at him to stop.

            “Why are you cutting down my trees, human?”

            Surprised at the scathingly tone, Guardian sat back. He hadn’t heard Forest this angry in a long, long time.

            “I...” The human started.

            “You dare come where you are not allowed to take my trees!”

            “Y-You’re really real.” The man said in disbelief.

            The anger began to reel off Forest in waves. It seemed strong enough for the human to feel it because he began to tremble.

            The human surprised them both and ran off, back in the direction of the village. Guardian would have pursued him but Forest collapsed near his fallen trees and began to cry. There was lingering energy from the trees and they encompassed Forest until they vanished completely. Guardian remained beside him and they did a proper send off for the loss of Forest’s trees. Other spirits came to comfort him as well.

            “I...” Forest said finally as night fell. “I forgot how much humans could hurt.” He said painfully.

            The human didn’t stop either. He came back the next day. He only managed two trees this time, but now Guardian was furious. Seven trees had fallen and none of the other humans were coming. He sat atop a small hill overlooking the village. The sky had clouded over and thunder began to rumble in the distance.

            Forest sat beside him. “He’s disgustingly persistent.” He murmured.

            “I can flood the crops. They did break their promise.”

            “Only if he does it again.”

            “Forest-

            “If he does it again, I will do something. I’m not helpless.” Forest stormed off then.

            Sighing, he looked down at the village again. It truly was larger than before. He unveiled himself as the rain began. Some of the humans noticed him. He recognised someone from the Lee family as they made their approach.

            “Guardian...is something wrong?” She asked.

            “I am warning you, human. One of your ilk has been entering the forest and cutting down trees where he should not be. If he does it again, you will not have crops for a year. One of you should have noticed this by now.”

            She gasped in disbelief. “It must be the newcomer. I –”

            It was too late. Guardian felt the pain. He looked to the forest as one of the larger trees began to fall.

            “I will fetch the village Elders! Please, we will fix this, Guardian!”

            Turning back he roared and caught the attention of other villagers. “You have been give permission to live on these lands under conditions, human. Outsider or not, he is your responsibility to know the rules which govern your stay here.”

            She bowed immediately. “I’m so, so sorry, please, please just let me get the Elders.”

            It was unacceptable. “There is nothing your Elders can do to redeem you now. Your human apologies are meaningless to me. I am the Guardian of the Forest here, and you are not respecting our wishes.

            She nodded and remained bowed. “I understand.”

            “He has felled eight trees, Lee.

            The woman gasped and apologised over and over. “I will tell the Elders. This won’t happen again.”

            “Go home.”

            The woman rose quickly and ran back as the rain began to fall.

            For three days, Guardian stayed on the hilltop. The storm he had unleashed flooded their grounds. The human hadn’t returned. He could feel that Forest was keeping him trapped in the woods. On the third day, Guardian made his way into the trees and lightened the storm just a little. He came to the place where the trees had fallen and found the human kneeling there. He looked haggard and exhausted, his spirit was defeated.

            The tree stumps were covered with moss already and small moss spirits clung to the wood, observing the human silently.

            Seating himself beside one of the fallen trees, the human noticed him and slowly came to look up at him. Feeling Forest’s hand upon his back, he looked upon him slowly. Forest had never punished a human before. He looked calm and collected on the outside, but Guardian felt all of the anguish and the despair. His eyes were still yellow. Turning his attention back to the human, his eyes widened.

            The man was in a deep bow.

            “Please...I just want to go home. Please let me go home. I promise I’ll never take another tree.”

            “I don’t trust your words, human.” Forest said without wavering. He appeared before him and gripped his face. “This is what I felt!”

            Guardian did not move. He would not look away. The human began to scream. The pain of even one tree would’ve been too much.

            Forest backed away and the man collapsed. “Leave. Never come back here.” Forest said bitterly and vanished.

            The man didn’t get up. He just began to cry.

            Slowly making his way over to him, Guardian sat before him.

            “I’m sorry...” The man said weakly.

            “Your apologies are meaningless. Prove yourself, human. If not, leave this forest and these lands forever, and do not return.” He said and then made himself invisible.

            It was a long time before the human began to move. He was still apologising, over and over. Guardian walked behind him as he made his way to the village. He collapsed several times but he finally made it to the edge. From there, he was soon spotted by others.

            This was not what he wanted for Forest.

            He didn’t need to change.

            Forest was a gentle spirit.

            As he made his way back to where the trees had been cut, he sat there for a while. He rested his paw on each stump and felt them forgive.

            When he made his way to the grove hidden deep within forest, he looked upon the small spirit form of Forest tenderly. He was surrounded by all the little sapling spirits and those of the older trees.

            As he came to sit beside him, he lowered his head as Forest shifted away from him.

            “I’m not good, Wooyoung. I feel...heavy. I feel dirty and terrible.”

            “You are neither of those things.” He said gently.

            Forest began to sob. “Isn’t that what spirits want of me – to push me to the edge and treat humans like that?! That’s what I would have to do without you, right?! The humans would kill me even if I treat them with kindness.” Forest looked beyond hurt. “Everyone knows I can’t...I can’t...Wooyoung. I can’t live without you – I don’t want to. You’re my weather bear, you’re my Guardian.” He cried and looked at him with so much pain.

            Shaken, he brought Forest close to him. He felt responsible for all of this. Forest was never meant to experience any of this, he was too kind and too gentle. “Nothing I can say...will forgive me for what has happened. You didn’t deserve any of this.”

            Forest remained balled up in his tiny form, shivering.

            “ You’re so important to me, I just...” He closed his eyes. “I get scared sometimes I’m not strong enough, and I let that worry build. Min-Jun really scared me and I should never have let him do that, and then...” He didn’t want to say it. The feelings for the loss of the trees were still too raw. “This is all my fault.”

            Slowly but surely, Forest shifted to his human form. He looked up at him and gripped his fur. “Don’t take on the loss of our little saplings. It does hurt, I won’t lie, but we can make more together when I feel better.” He was smiling, albeit sadly, and he was still trembling. “I know it shouldn’t...but it makes me feel relieved that you’re admitting you’re scared.” He said quietly and then was looking at him with vibrant yellow eyes. “But you’re so strong too, my bear. Don’t let Min-Jun rattle who you are, you know who you are, and I’ve always admired that about you.” He said softly.

            “Yes, now I know what will come when I let my insecurities win.” He admitted quietly. “You’re tired. I will watch over you as I always have, Forest.”

            “I...I need to...” His grip became stronger. “I’m angry.”

            “Don’t hesitate, please?”

            “I...” Forest swallowed hard. “I want to sleep.”

            Nodding, Guardian still deflated but he could feel it from Forest.

            “It hurts...Guardian.”

            “I know.” He said. “Rest for as long as you need.”

            Walking alongside him, Guardian tried to be calm. When they arrived at the heart of the forest, he watched him made his way to the oldest tree and vanished inside. A quietness fell over the woods and Guardian stayed there for weeks. It took the coaxing of many spirits to get him roaming the forest again. He came to the village and noticed the scarcity of life surrounding it.

            It was the first time in a very long time that Guardian felt loneliness. With Forest he always had someone to talk to or be near, it was strange to not have that constant presence beside him. As the months rolled on winter soon descended upon the valley. The silence continued and while the spirits which lived within the forest didn’t leave, they too fell dormant.

            On a particularly cold winter day he found himself before the shrine. There were so many offerings, more than he had ever seen before. Hearing the crunch of footsteps behind him, he turned and found him. It wasn’t that he could see him, of course. Watching the human as he came to the shrine, Guardian realised that many of the offerings were from him. He didn’t say many words but he always bowed deeply before he departed.

            Every day. The human came every single day.

            Guardian witnessed the prayers and soft words of others as well, but this human who had once defiled and harmed Forest was putting his words into action.

            It was a sunny spring day that he came with one of the women of the village.

            “Still no sign.” She said. “I’m proud that you come every day. Even if the spirit of the forest or the Guardian has been quiet, I just...I hope they see your effort.”

            “There are others who will come.” The man said. “I’ve thought a lot about what to do if the logging companies seriously begin to consider the valley. I want to protect it. I don’t want to think about what harm will come here if they start.” He was quiet for a while and then held her hand. “Eight trees...and I feel I’ve ruined the peace here. I have. I’ve ruined it. We can’t grow anything. Not only that but even the wildlife has been scarce. I feel responsible. I can’t bring back what I’ve taken but I just hope that I can pay my respects to the forest spirit in person. I’m sure there’s not much a human like me could do, but I’ve got some ideas.”

            The human came every day after that, still.

            On the eve of summer, he felt it, the pull. He made his way to the heart of the forest and tendrils of life began to flow deep into the earth along the roots of the trees. A large flower had begun to bloom, its petals unfurling slowly until they revealed Forest in his tiny spirit form.

            Guardian felt so warm and ecstatic upon seeing him but tried to reserve himself.

            A burst of energy expanded from Junho and descended upon the whole of the forest. So many sounds Guardian had missed sparked instantly, and everything began to regain its full colour after having been dull for so long.

            Soon, Forest was making his way down down and engulfed Guardian completely. He felt so whole, so complete immediately.

            “Hello, my Guardian.”

            The yearning he felt the whole past year became so heavy he began to cry. “I’m sorry, Forest.” He said with trembling voice.

            “Shh, none of that. I think I was due for a rest, and I think it’s your turn.”

            That didn’t quell his emotions, and he collapsed into him completely. It was as if he had been bewitched with some immense exhaustion he didn’t know he was carrying. While he thought he had slept only for a couple days, it had apparently been weeks. In that time, Forest had grown a thicket around him, and had rested him upon the softest of grasses. He was cozy and greatly enjoyed having Forest beside him again.

            On a particularly hot summer night, Forest lay before him and slowly turned human. “We need a rekindling.”

            “Oh?”

            He nodded and began trailing his fingers across his skin. “Help me grow new saplings.”

            Gripping Forest’s hand, he brought it to his lips. “I missed you.”

            Forests eyes went the darkest of brown, a deep earthy colour, and he smiled. “Wooyoung, my lovely Guardian, quench my thirst...” He said as he leaned up and kissed him. “Make love to me...”

            Smoothing his hands to explore over Forest’s smooth, warm skin, Guardian slowly pleasured him and coaxed him to arousal. It had been so long he wanted to take his time. He elicited many heated moans and gazes, and when they finally joined, Forest held him tightly to his body. The beauty of pleasuring him and making Junho cry out in bliss, he had very much missed this. The way his body would tighten, the beautiful flush that would colour his cheeks, and his overwhelming need to kiss Wooyoung over and over, he never wanted it to stop. Just for now, he was Wooyoung and Forest was Junho.

            “Mm, Wooyoung.” He gasped as Junho’s body arched into his own.

            What sweet release he was given, and which Wooyoung was able to provide. There heavy breathing mingled together and Junho kept him as close as he possibly could. Wooyoung brushed his fingers tenderly through his hair and rained gentle kisses over his hot skin.

            “Wooyoung, I want more, please?” He pleaded, looking up at him with those lovely purple eyes. “Please Wooyoung.”

            “Show me.” He murmured and rolled them over. He watched Junho lose himself to pleasure over and over, and they didn’t stop until they were both exhausted and completely sated.

            Junho was thrumming with energy and kept Wooyoung’s arms around him tightly.

            The entire forest was b with life the following day. Walking beside Forest, who kept a tight hold of Guardian’s hand, he breathed in the fresh air.

They came to the shrine and found many people there. They looked joyous and happy. They came to the hilltop overlooking the village and observed the festivities. The villagers celebrated late into the night.

            “I think I’m okay with distancing myself from them.” Forest said after a while. “I still care for them...but not like before.”

            “If you’re sure.” Guardian said and kissed his shoulder.

            “You’re back.”

            He didn’t know who was surprised more, him or Forest.

            Forest rose immediately and gripped Guardian’s hand tightly.

            Before either of them could say or do anything the human went down on his knees and bowed completely.

            “I know...nothing I say can repair the damage I have done to you, but I am deeply, deeply sorry, forest spirit.” He said with a heavy weight to his voice.

            “How...can you..?” Forest began but then sighed. “Great Spirits...”

            Guardian rose up and stood with him.

            “You’re forgiven, human, but do it again-

            “I will never. I’m not sure what I can do, but I want to be able to help. I don’t know what I can give in exchange to help you, but I have to do something.” He said quickly and desperately.

            “I don’t want anything from you.” Forest said. “Just don’t take my trees, don’t hurt me.”

            Guardian tightened his hold on Forest’s hand and he returned it.

            “Just because you want to help it doesn’t mean you can.”

            “I understand.”

            “Yes, I think we both know what helplessness feels like...”

            That made the human tense up.

            “You can visit my shrine all you want, human, but that doesn’t mean I will forgive you. I’ve known selfish humans, I know what you are capable of and you take advantage of kindness –

            “I’m not asking for you to give me a chance. I’ve already hurt you and your trees. I’ve heard so many stories about you saving people and helping them. I really and truly thought you had forsaken the village and I could never live with myself if that had happened. If the need ever arises...” He slowly began to sit up and looked upon them with determination, “I will do everything in my power to protect you from people such as what I was a year ago.”

            Forest chuckled, “I already have a Guardian, and he is very wonderful. The only reason you were able to take eight of my trees is because I got in his way.”

            Forest looped his arm about Guardian’s waist and held him closer. He made to speak but Forest’s eyes were vivid green. Seeing this confidence and this happiness...was inspiring.

            “I recognise that times are different, so I will hold you to your promise, human. If you are indeed capable, I want to see it, if the need ever arises.”

            “I will rise to meet that challenge.”

            Something stirred in Guardian upon hearing the human’s declaration. The man had perseverance and it had impressed him over the course of the year. “What’s your name?” He asked.

            The man and Forest were surprised, for different reasons.

            “I...just Hwang.” He said, a little bashful.

            “No first name?” Forest asked. “Or should I call you ‘just Hwang’?”

            “I gave it up...after what I did to you.”

            This disclosure made both of them even more surprised than before.

            “Go join in the festivities, Hwang.” Forest dismissed and began to pull Guardian away. When they were back in the comfort of the grove, Forest turned to him. “I’m still thirsty...”

            “Oh?” He tugged him close. “Perhaps you just got excited by the human.”

            “Yah! I did not!” Forest grumbled and hugged him. “I...I like it when you’re proud of me.” He said, cheeks hot and red.

            Smiling broadly, Guardian rested his arms around his shoulders tightly. “I do love your confidence.”

            “I also need to make up a year of not being close to you.” He murmured against his neck. “I missed our grove.”

            “Aw, you’re so adorable, Forest.” He cooed against his temple. Closing his eyes as Forest kissed up his neck and his chin, Guardian met his gaze. “You make me so desperate...” He whispered.

            Forest groaned and kissed him tenderly. “Please, Wooyoung, can you make it rain?”

            “Of course,” He said softly. “Anything for you.”

A Treasure for Guardian

            Guardian watched Forest overlooking the human village with tender eyes. He didn’t venture much to see them anymore, only watched over them from a distance. Hwang of course still visited the shrine nearly every day, and the others still sought out advice and brought their offerings, paid their respects.

Looking up as the sun began to set in the distance Guardian heaved a deep sigh, which caught Forest’s attention.

            “Guardian, there’s somewhere I wish to bring you.” He said as he stood at full height.

            “Right now?

            Forest was still in human form. “Y-Yes...” He said and then was smiling.

            Curious now, he slowly rose into a seated position. “Is this the secret place you’ve been working on for weeks?” Closing his eyes as Forest wrapped his arms about his neck, he rested his head against Forest’s chest. “Are you okay? You’ve been watching them from further and further away.”

            Forest nodded and sat back. He ran his hands tenderly over Guardian’s head. “Yes, I’m okay.” He said softly. “I guess it must be weird...but there are so many of them now.” He admitted and turned his attention back to the sleepy human village. “I just...want to keep the distance now I guess.” He turned back then and smiled softly, a hint of purple in his eyes. “Just us...”

            Ah, I see, he thought. As he came to sit up he slowly transformed into his human form. Opening his eyes, he exhaled deeply and stretched. He hadn’t been in this form in so long. Soon he found his arms filled with Forest and he couldn’t help smiling. “Mm, so I was right?” He teasingly asked.

            Forest looked up at him with a pout. His eyes were alight with the shine from the moon and he was practically exuding that delicate scent of sweetgrass. “I didn’t expect you to change to be honest.”

            “Oh, I can stay a bear if you like?” He asked as he brushed his fingers through Forest’s hair.

            “N-No...I...” Forest began to mumble and was rubbing his face against Guardian’s shoulder.

He couldn’t help but grin, “Should I have teased you?”

            “No...” He said and buried his face into Guardian’s chest. “I’m content, Guardian. Everything feels in balance.”

            Happy with Forest’s peace, Guardian looked up into the night sky. “Are you thirsty?”

            Forest’s small whimper and the tightening of his arms had that deep warmth inside of Guardian grow hotter. Then he was looking up at him with those wondrous purple-yellow eyes. “I could use a little rain.”

            Slowly bringing their lips together, Guardian curled his fingers into the delicate brown tresses of Forest’s hair.

            “Mm!” Forest gasped and cupped his face. “You taste like rain.”

            Panting slightly, Guardian kept him close. “It’s comin’, I promise.” He assured.

            Forest shook his head and whined softly, “No...I like the taste of it more on your tongue.”

            Groaning, Guardian pulled him closer and kissed him harder. Forest collapsed into him completely. Such delicious energy was reeling off of him in waves.

            “You’re distracting me...” He grumbled, however.

            “You don’t make it hard.” Guardian couldn’t help but chuckle before giving him a sweet, slow kiss.

            Forest didn’t let him stop though. He followed as he soon as he began to back away and found himself overwhelmed. If Guardian tasted of rain, then surely Forest had the taste of sweetness, of earth and so much goodness.

            Feeling the droplets of water beginning to hit his already hot skin, he looked over Forest as he basked in the warm droplets of water falling tenderly from the sky. “Take me to your secret place, Forest.”

            This caused a particularly heated kiss followed by another and another. Guardian loved the way he tasted, the way he smelled, his gentleness and the roughness.

Forest looked over him for a long time before rising to his feet. “I guess...I’m feeling a little needy.” He said and held out his hand. “You make me feel desperate and I can’t get enough...”

            “Oh?” Guardian said as he rose and brushed his thumb along Forest’s cheek. “Be as needy as you want, Forest.”

            Forest took his hand and began to lead him north. “I could never ask for too much,” He admitted. “I’m happy with whatever you give me...”

            ‘Ever the humble one,’ he couldn’t help but think. Gripping Forest’s hand tighter, he smiled as those lovely purple-yellow irises met his gaze. “No matter how much time has passed you still barely ask anything of me, Forest.”

            That caused him to stop and face him fully. “But you give me so much...” He whispered. “I never feel empty or like I’m missing anything. I have everything I could ever want or need. I have you.”

            Cupping Forest’s face tenderly, Guardian swooped in and kissed him hotly. Ah, he instilled in him so much desire. It truly has been far too long since he touched him like this and now he was craving it. The slow touching and holding Forest in his arms, he could never tire of this, ever. When he began to see the tinge of blue amidst the purple in Forest’s eyes he grinned. “Are you happy?”

            Forest brought their foreheads together. “I want to give you your present.” He grumbled. “Want to kiss you,” he groaned against his lips, “want you.”

            Smoothing his hands over Forest’s back and gripping him tightly, rousing excited gasps, Guardian kissed his ear. “You always have me, Junho.” He had been using his human name more and more lately and it caused Forest to shift instantly to his spirit form. His aura expanded and began to fill Guardian with relentless feelings of desire. It was stifling and overwhelming and Guardian never wanted it to stop.

When he felt Forest beginning to calm down, he opened his eyes, and looked upon Forest’s face. He was flushed, cheeks that beautiful scarlet, and his eyes were completely purple-blue. The rain had dampened them both now and it made Forest look even more enticing than before as his clothes stuck to his skin.

            Reaching out, he let himself be pulled along again, but this time he walked with Forest side by side, fingers locked together tightly. The mosses and grasses had become soft with the rain. As they made their way deeper into the woods, the scents of the forest began to grow. Other little spirits began to dance in the rain and Guardian looked over them fondly. Soon, his nose caught the whiff of something else. Another sweetness, but also tart, and he couldn’t stop himself from salivating from the scent. Some he hadn’t been able to smell in a very long time.

            They came to the northern hills and he looked over the bountiful growth. Forest had been putting a lot of energy into this part of the land, and it showed.

            “This is for you.” He said tenderly, gesturing to the hillsides filled with berries.

            “Forest...” He started and rested his hand under a blueberry bush. “You grew so many.”

            “I couldn’t help it. I know how much you love them.” He admitted sheepishly. “There are all kinds.” Forest knelt down beside him and grasped his hand.

            Guardian felt tender energy flow through his skin and then into the earth. The smell of all the different kinds of berries began to waft into the air even stronger. He was suddenly reminded of his childhood, and of the berries his mother would collect when he was little. Closing his eyes he basked in the memory, the laughter. How long had it been since he saw her now? Hundreds of years had gone by and he never saw either his mother or sister. Well, he didn’t mind not seeing his sibling.

            “You’re remembering something.” Forest said softly. “I’ve only seen this expression on your face a few times. Did I make you remember something terrible?”

            Taking steadying breaths before opening his eyes again, he looked to Forest whose expression and body language was full of concern. “No, you’ve reminded me of a beautiful memory.” He said with assuring calmness and smoothed his arm around Forest’s waist. “You reminded me of when I was little and when my mother would gather berries.” He shared fondly.

            “Oh!” Forest’s eyes were bright. “I wish you would tell me more about when you were small.” He huffed and leaned into him.

            Picking some of the berries, Guardian popped them into his mouth and the sweet but tangy taste made him smile. “Which are your favourite?” He asked Forest.

            “Mm...” He tapped his chin in thought. “All of them.”

            Laughing, Guardian kissed his cheek, “I figured you would say that.”

            Inhaling deeply, Guardian rose up and looked all around. As the rain stopped, the moonlight began to filter through the clearing clouds and he took in the sight before him. Blue, red, orange, and black berries covered the expanse of the field.

            “Go on...” Forest encouraged with a smile.

            Walking along and taking in the scents of all Forest grew Guardian knelt down and tasted the different berries. This reminded him so much of being with his mother.

            “She told me I was an accident and that’s why I can’t feel my purpose.”

            Swallowing hard, Guardian ran his fingers along the leaves of a blueberry plant.

            “That is not why you cannot feel your purpose. Sometimes it is just not our time yet. It’ll come, I promise you.

            Gripping the cloth over his chest, he was reminded of his deep desperation. He had wandered for so long after he had left his mother. Then, a smile was making its way onto his face.

            “You like my trees.”

            Feeling arms wrapping around him and Forest coming to lean against his back, he closed his eyes in contentment. “When I first met you...I couldn’t understand what you made me feel.” He said and then looked into the starry sky. “I didn’t know what it was about you that pulled me in so strongly.” He gripped Forest’s hands. “You were so young but you felt so...so vast. You were so different compared to other forests I had visited.” Forest’s hold on him tightened. “I had been looking and looking and looking, I was so tired of wandering, and then I saw your trees. ‘So beautiful,’ I thought,” he chuckled and tried to turn his head to look up but Forest covered his eyes.

            “You’re making me shy...”

            “Please let me see you.” He asked softly.

            Forest’s hand trembled slightly but then he removed it. He was just so beautiful. Those wondrous eyes, a deeper purple-blue, and Forest was exuding warmth in waves, sweetgrass filled the air surrounding them.

            “Pretty eyes...” He said and gripped Forest’s chin. “I so wanted to find you, and I never could’ve fathomed just how much I could want until I finally met you.”

            “Wooyoung...” He murmured and then Forest was tilting his head up even more and kissing him so eagerly. “Mm, I can taste berries on your tongue – berries and rain.” He laughed and then was kissing him deeper.

            Breathing heavily, Guardian broke the kiss so he could finally turn around and rose up to his knees. He tugged Forest close to him and held the back of his neck firmly. “Thank you for gifting me a chance to remember some very precious memories, Forest.”

            The most beautiful smile lit up all of Forest’s face and he smoothed his hands into Guardian’s hair. “You’re welcome, Guardian.” He said softly. “Now make some new ones with me.”

            "Mm, I would like that."

*

There will be a Part 4 and that will be that last part. Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for the comments and subscriptions :)