Chapter 2

City of Bright Lights

Kyungwon stared at Minkyung in disbelief.

“Are you being serious now?”

“Why? It’s a great idea! You love to travel too! Think of it as a getaway to rejuvenate your mind and soul!

Now, Kyungwon was definitely tempted for a split second, as she had a soft spot for travelling. She loved seeking out each new destination’s delicacies and enjoyed seeking new experiences. It was also true that she wanted a temporary break from work as she felt that she has been suffering from a creativity block in recent weeks. However, what Minkyung suggested was more like a permanent break, not a temporary one.

“I don’t think people quit their day jobs just because they want to travel, you know.”

“Let’s take a sabbatical from work then! Like, maybe for a month?”

“That actually sounds like a workable idea… Oh no wait, did I just say that out loud…”

At this point, Kyungwon did not know what had gotten into her. She could not believe that she made a Freudian slip and let known that it was a decent idea.

“Okay hold on, this is too sudden. I need to wrap my head around this. You want me to take a long break from work, just to travel? With you?” Kyungwon was at the point of no return, and was actually going along with Minkyung’s impromptu idea, no doubt she still has some reservations about the whole situation.

“Yeap!” Minkyung innocently beamed right back at Kyungwon.

“Will the company even let us both take such a long break, together at the same time? Even so, I don’t think I have that much money to go on such a long trip…” Kyungwon feebly rebutted.

“That’s what I am here for! How about this, I’ll update you again on this tomorrow after our deadline? Okay let’s get back to work first and get things done!” With that, Minkyung somehow managed to gather her enthusiasm from just her sheer imagination and quickly returned to her work.

Kyungwon could not comprehend what she had meant in her answer, but it was not the appropriate time for her to ponder on what she had just said or to consider whether what they had discussed earlier would even materialize. Right now, more importantly, a crucial work deadline was looming over them.

 

Soon enough, the next day arrived quickly for the both of them. Twenty four hours passed by in a blink of an eye, with both Kyungwon and Minkyung relentlessly scrutinizing, coordinating and organizing their final proposal.

In the boardroom, both them took turns presenting their project’s concept to the client, displaying their teamwork and synergy when it comes to such tasks. Sure enough, the client left the meeting deeply impressed with their work. Feeling relieved, Kyungwon and Minkyung exchanged thumbs up and smiles for a job well done.

Both of them returned to their desks and slumped back into their respective seats, satisfied that they had done enough to not screw up on this project and for retaining this important client.

Just then, the company’s secretary walked over to their workspace.

“Ms Kim & Ms Kang, the directors would like to see the two of you now in their office.”

Clearly startled, Kyungwon immediately jolted upright in her seat. Why would the directors wanted to see her and Minkyung at such a short notice? Did they do something wrong? Did the client suddenly change his mind and had called them to complain about their standard of work? A string of questions ran through her mind as Kyungwon did not expect this and quickly glanced at Minkyung with a worried expression.

“Okay, we will be right there! Thank you!” Minkyung chirpily answered the secretary.

Minkyung undoubtedly failed to notice Kyungwon’s expression and got up immediately to head towards the directors’ office. It was only a few steps later that she realized Kyungwon was still rooted to her chair.

“Come on now, get moving! We are wanted in the directors’ office!” Minkyung waved excitedly at Kyungwon and strode into the directors’ office.

Only then, did Kyungwon reluctantly got off her chair and took meek steps in the direction of the largest room in the entire office. “I am in no rush to meet my impending doom…” Kyungwon muttered under her breath.

As Kyungwon politely knocked and entered the directors’ office, she could see that both Mr Kim and Mrs Kim were sitting behind their office desks. Both of them shared the largest room in the office. Minkyung was happily seated on a couch at the corner of the room.

“Ah Kyungwon, glad to see you. Take a seat beside Minkyung on the sofa, this isn’t a formal meeting, so make yourself comfortable. I have told the secretary to bring in some drinks for you as well.” Mrs Kim warmly welcomed Kyungwon’s presence into the room.

“Yes, Director Kim.” Kyungwon replied formally, before getting Minkyung to scooch over to make room for her. The company secretary then walked in with 4 cups of Americano and set it on top of the coffee table. Mr and Mrs Kim then pulled over 2 chairs and faced the both of them, with only the coffee table between them.

“Okay then. Well, Kyungwon, have you adjusted well during your time here so far?” Mr Kim questioned with his voice booming throughout the room.

Kyungwon swore that she felt cold sweat rolling down her neck, and quickly responded with the most textbook-like answer possible. “Thank you Mr Kim for asking. I have learnt a lot along the way from my fellow colleagues as well as from the guidance from you and Mrs Kim during my time here. Of course I am still lacking in many areas and will continue to work hard and improve along the way. ”

“Haha, Kyungwon, don’t worry, we are not here to interrogate you.” Mrs Kim reassured her. “Anyways, we received a call from Mr Han just a while ago. He was very pleased with the work which you two have presented to him earlier and he had nothing but praises for the both of you. Well done.”

“And also, Minkyungie came up to us last evening to suggest that both of you should take a month off from work to travel? What do you think about it?” Mr Kim continued from where Mrs Kim stopped.

Kyungwon unconsciously brought her hand up to rub her nose and side-eyed Minkyung. Minkyung just shrugged upon eye contact.

“Erm… It was Minkyung’s suggestion… I was just going along with her... I think I can do with or without a break…”

“You girls deserve the month long break. The company doesn’t have any major assignments in the upcoming month anyway and we have sufficient resources to handle the current workload. You two just have to hand over your work to the rest of the team by the end of next week, and you guys are free to go for an entire month.”

Kyungwon could not believe her ears. “But… But…”

“Not to worry, the company will still remunerate your full salary for that month. Have fun girls, both of you deserve it after your contributions to the company in the past months.”

“Thanks Dad! Thanks Mom! You’re the best!” Minkyung grinned and stretched over to hug her parents.

Kyungwon, on the other hand, was still reeling from the shock.

“Minkyungie, can you step out for a moment? We will like to have a quick word with Kyungwon.”

“Sure! See you outside later Kyungwon! We need to head out for a celebratory meal after this!”

As Minkyung exited the room, Kyungwon could feel the attention that Mr and Mrs Kim was directing to her.

“Kyungwon ah, we know that our girl has always been a handful, so we hope that you can go on this trip with her and keep a lookout for her at the same time. You know, to make sure she doesn’t do anything too extreme, like skydiving or bungee jumping. Please also accept this small token as an appreciation for what you have done for the company, for us and for Minkyung as well.”

Mr Kim handed Kyungwon a small white envelope which had some weight to it. Kyungwon took a quick look inside and immediately pushed the envelope back to Minkyung’s parents.

“I can’t accept this! I haven’t done anything to deserve this! Please take this back Mr and Mrs Kim.”

“Don’t worry, just take it as a work bonus from the company. You’ll need some extra cash on you while travelling. Go along now, you’ll probably need to start handing over your work to the colleagues soon.”

“I… I’ll pay you back in full when I am back from the trip or you can deduct it from my future salary. I..I can’t thank you enough Mr and Mrs Kim.”

“Don’t worry about the money, it’s the least we can do for you. Moreover we have known each other for so long, you don’t need to be so formal around us, just address us comfortably.”

“Thank you Uncle and Aunty Kim”.

 

 

A/N: Sorry for the lack of updates, work has been reallyyyy busy for me. Just wondering, is the font too small or unpleasant to read? :/

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY PERSONAL BIAS WRECKER/SUB LEADER KIM MINKYUNG :D in case anyone is wondering, my bias is kyungwon :)

Pristin has been so active on the fancafe//vlive/twitter recently :D seems like their comeback is imminent :D Please stay tuned :D